It’s only been a few months since the release of PhpStorm 7 but we’re glad to announce a fresh update – let it be our present for upcoming holidays.

PhpStorm 7.1 update brings a bunch of features, bug fixes and improvements for PHP & web related technologies, as well as all changes from the significantly improved IntelliJ IDEA 13 platform.

Download PhpStorm 7.1 right now!

On the PHP side:

• Exception breakpoints and Xdebug jit option support
  • Full Doctrine-style PHP Annotations support via updated Open API
  • A way to document mixins regardless of PHP version: PhpStorm will interpret @mixin annotation the same way as actual “use trait” – see WI-1730
  • VCS-friendly Deployment configs: deployment mappings and excluded paths are now saved in .idea/deployment.xml. They are mapped to servers by names, see WI-715 for more information
  • Clickable @link URLs in editor
  • Special treatment for protected member access on @var-declared $this in Views
  • Parameter name suggestion based on its type name
  • and many other bug fixes and improvements.

On the web side:

• Mocha framework integration
  • Improved support for Dart language
  • LESS 1.5.0 is supported

Learn more about web subsystem updates at the WebStorm’s blog.

PhpStorm 7.1 update bring you completely in sync with the recently released IntelliJ IDEA 13 platform, delivering a lot of fixes, improvements and features, such as:

• Search Everywhere
    We are sure you are taking advantage of Navigate to Class/File/Symbol, Find Action and other advanced navigation features, but why not use a brand new powerful Search Everywhere to find a class, file, action or even an IDE setting always using the same action?
    Just try it with the icon  on the top-right or invoke it with Double-Shift.

• Lens Mode
    Hover the mouse over a warning, error strip or just some section on the scroll bar, and PhpStorm shows you the source code fragment annotated with the warning/error message.

• The new PhpStorm interface is even more minimalistic and functional with the toolbar and tool window buttons hidden by default. You can always invoke View | Toolbar and View | Tool Buttons (or just icon on the left-bottom) if you would like to get it back.

• Speed Search
    The new Speed Search makes it easier for you to navigate over the items thanks to highlighting matches.

• Navigate to folder
    You can navigate to a folder just as quickly as to a file, by using Navigate to File action.

• Better performance with faster Find Usages and Navigate to Actions, and more responsive editor during indexing. Frequently used symbols now appear in the results of Find Usages faster than before.
  • Find in Strings and Comments: take advantage of improved Find in Path action with ability to look through comments and String literals (you can search over the project using specific scopes).

• New fast and powerful log viewer for Git and Mercurial.

• Support for Subversion 1.8 (via the native client).
  • Even more Database tools and SQL support improvements.
  • Retina support in JDK 7 (more information).
  • and much more… (see IntelliJ IDEA 13 what’s new page for more information)

Download a 30-day trial for your platform right now from the web site. A patch-update from the previous version is not available this time.

PhpStorm 7.1 is a free update for you if you purchased your license after October 22, 2012!

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains PhpStorm Team

This entry was posted in Release Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to PhpStorm 7.1 update released: Search Everywhere, Lens Mode, SVN 1.8, Bug Fixes, Improvements & more

1. Matthieu says:

A patch-update from the previous version is not available this time.

*every time…

• Simon says:

This is a commercial product, the updater is build in but you are unable to release patch updates??? Guys, please be a bit more professional!

• Evgen says:

They don’t give a damn about this or any other users’ feedbacks. Nothing more fun than searching for a serial number for every update, yay. As soon as any other decent IDE appears I’m switching, I have enough of this ignorance, bad code formating, bad SVN support, retarded settings (where I have to set same things for every damn project I do), lack of proper project management (which at jetbrains don’t think is necessary, I guess they are writing software for themselves) and ignoring the issues and requests. But hey, at least some shitty frameworks, which all 6 people use, are supported, hooray for quantity over quality.

• mhlavac says:

Do you have to enter serial number every version?

I’ve just downloaded new version and started it and everything got imported. When I saw that everything works I’ve just removed to old one and that was all.

What annoys me most currently is autocomplete and search everywhere functionality on ubuntu. It’s pretty buggy and keeps disappearing.

• Matthieu says:

I, for one, don’t have a lot of complaints with JetBrains given PhpStorm is absolutely better than any other IDE. But those updates are very annoying.

• Bugi says:

Wow. Hadn’t thought anybody would have problems with this _outstanding_ IDE; I’ve seldom seen so much love going into a software product.

• Agreed. PhpStorm is sooo much better than anything else out there it’s hard to complain. Yes, there are always more things I’d like to see, but frankly PhpStorm is the best software I use and the most important software to my job, except maybe my O/S and web+db servers. :)

• Patrick Sweeney says:

You only need to do that if it is an EAP, you know, a beta. For “real” updates it just picks it up.

2. Sven-Holger Eick says:

Too bad that PhpStorm any changes to files automatically and immediately saves. Therefore, I am sorry to give up PhpStorm :(

• Mark says:

This used to annoy me too, but now I love it. Just use the “Local History” feature if you need to revert anything beyond what Ctrl+Z can do.

• Kieran says:

Sven – this annoyed me too. You can turn off the auto save however in Preferences->General, under the Synchronization options.

• Adrian Green says:

I absolutely rely on this feature. As Mark pointed out, use Local History for restoring changes (they persist between sessions [with diff-ing]), and use a repository system (such as git). Have the ‘changes’ panel handy at all times so you can observe what’s been updated per session before you commit or whatever. It is about intention – you modify code because you mean to – it’s not an accident – those modification should be saved. It’s almost impossible to “lose” work these days – love it.
      I have on one or two occasions accidentally modded files by accident, but they were easily repaired – because of tracked changes.

• Richard Hobson says:

This is one of the biggest reasons “TO” use phpStorm. You have almost unlimited local history for every file you work on.

You can even select a section of code and get history for that selection, not just the entire file!

On top of git it makes for an amazing set of tools to manage and maintain code. I wish everything did this. We are at a point where storage is cheap, why not use it to maintain historical state.

Spoken as a Windows and Linux user that wishes Timemachine wasn’t a MAC only thing.

3. Downloaded new version and can’t use it normally. When I open it I get notification “Early Access Java versions may cause compatibility issues. Please use stable release.”. There were no such notifications in previous release. Plus now all UI is ugly because all texts have extra bold or some other problem.
    $ java -version
    java version “1.8.0-ea”
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-ea-b119)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b61, mixed mode)

This is in Ubuntu.

Which version of Java I need to use for phpStorm to work again normally?

4. Wesam Alalem says:

great features, thanks for the update.

5. John says:

Will there be a patch update release for PhpStorm 7 to 7.1?

6. Lots of nice updates here, thanks for the early Christmas present :)

I’ve been experimenting with asynchronous curl operations using pcntl and shared memory and have shared a script to automate the downloading and extraction of new versions on Linux.

My folder structure is the following:

/opt/PhpStorm -> /opt/.PhpStorm/default # root owned symlink
    /opt/.PhpStorm # versions directory which is group writable

7. pengtrym says:

Thanks! I just installed PHPstorm 7.1.
    And i have installed SVN 1.8 before.
    When I open my project, it still shows me an error message:
    “Errors found while svn working copies detection”
    URL:
    svn: E155021: E155021: This client is too old to work with the working copy at ‘/Users/~/proj-path’ (format 31). You need to get a newer Subversion client. For more details, see http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
    Format:
    1.8

I want to know is there anything wrong with me?

8. Ulf Wandschneider says:

I have discovered some problems with the deployment options after the update. The options for detecting changes and the server themselves are gone.
    Did you get any similar reports?

9. Thanks for the update, guys! Your IDE is def much better than any other one I’ve ever used but you really need to resolve those patch / upgrade issues. No intention to teach you at all, but you really need to listen to the guys above :)
    Thanks again and have great holidays!

10. Ramin Farmani says:

phpstorm 7.1 and its EPA version crash in Mac OS :(
    it happened many times in EPA and after you release 7.1 it happened 3times

please fix this problem

11. Brent Scheffler says:

Just a little heads up — PhpStorm 7.1 crashes A LOT in Fedora 20 (clean install) running Gnome shell 3.10 and Oracle Java JDK 1.7.0_45. And sometimes it will crash the entire Gnome shell session requiring a reboot. I finally had to downgrade to PhpStorm 6.0.3 release for now until a fix via Fedora or PhpStorm corrects this issue.

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

12. Peter says:

Why the following bug still exists in the 7.1 release is baffling

PHP is a language which is almost exclusively used to develop webpages, meaning that you have to alt-tab between IDE and browser very, very often, and this bug makes switching back and forth extremely irritating.

You really should focus on fixing a MAJOR useability bugs like this, instead of implementing support for obscure PHP frameworks instead.

Back to 6.0 once again, and I really am regretting purchasing PHPStorm more and more when an issue like this receives no attention at all.

13. suneel kumar says:

I am using Ubuntu Operating system , How to install PHPstorm in my system there is any commands? This IDE does support in Ubuntu OS?

14. Version 7.1 (don’t know about 7.0) doesn’t work with OpenJDK anymore (it was not recommended for version 6, but it did work).
    I understand that the provision of new features made support very complicated, but I’m not inclined to install a version of Java that has only very recently (two months ago) received a security update supposedly addressing 127 long-lasting security issues (http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2300941/oracle-issues-51-critical-java-patches-in-giant-security-update), so back to v6 for now, but anyway, good job with the tool. It’s great, even in version 6.

• Mikhail Vink says:

Well, OpenJDK is not recommended, but it’s supposed to work pretty the same way it used to work with PhpStorm version 6. What’s the specific problem of v7 and OpenJDK you experience?

15. As someone who spends 50/50 on frontend and PHP, I’ll buy PHPStorm the day you implement multi-select… until that day, I’ll continue to use Sublime :P

• Daniel Hollands says:

I fully agree -although, I’ve already purchased PHPStorm – but if you don’t implement multi-select, I’ll chop the head off this jellybaby…

..I’ll do it!

16. Mark says:

Will 7.1 work with working copies created under both 1.7 and 1.8 of Subversion? Or will it upgrade the working copy to 1.8 as TortoiseSVN does?
    I want to know if I can change to 7.1 and SVN 1.8 in stages or whether it all has to happen at once.

17. Ugo says:

Hi,

just updated to 7.1 and lost all my “Exclude items by name” settings in “Deployment > Options” menu.

How can I get my old settings back? – Tried to load 7.0.4 but they do not appear anymore even there… :-(

Thanks!

• Mikhail Vink says:

In PhpStorm 7.1 there are some deployment changes: deployment mappings and excluded paths are saved in .idea/deployment.xml. They are mapped to servers by names, so that config is suitable to put under VCS (see http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-715 for more information) – Could you please see if you have this file and paths are there? Probably File | Invalidate caches might also help.

• Ugo says:

Hi Mikhail,
        I’m recluctant to use File | Invalidate caches, however I copied my yesterday backup and found out that the strings were previously kept in .idea/workspace.xml – component name=”PublishConfig”.
        Now, I made a backup of all strings in a text file with:
        cd PhpstormProjects
        grep -R “PublishConfig” * > excludes.txt
        And will manually restore my project settings as needed.
        I am wondering if:
        1. I am missing other settings that I have not yet discovered;
        2. Your developers didn’t think about this issue before releasing version 7.1 – which scares me a bit…
        I hope it will not happen again with version 8!
        Thanks for answering, PhpStorm is still the best!

18. Still no support for the CakePHP framework?

19. Max says:

Integrated Terminal doesn’t work in 7.1 any longer – the terminal screen doesn’t load – it’s a blank tab.

20. Robin says:

Since updating from 7 to 7.1 via a full install (since there is no patch as of yet) i’ve noticed a steep increase of memory usage…

Usually the memory usage would rise and by manually running the GC once the project was fully cached it would drop to below 100MB (using the memory graph inside PhpStorm)

Now it remains at maximum (in my case ~400Mb) … Has some regression happened i’m not aware of?

21. Radek says:

Why did You delete ‘Next step’ from Debug Tool?
    It was very usefull, I really need it. My license will expire for 40 days i will not renew a license if ‘Next step’ not come back and will work as before! :/

• Mikhail Vink says:

You should now use “Step Into” and “Step Over” – in face it’s even more convenient than just “Next Step” – please try it. Thank you!

22. Heiko Müller says:

I’ve downloaded the trial version of PHPStorm 7 for Ubuntu, but whenever I start the application for the second time (by CLI, running ../bin/phpstorm.sh &), it would fall back to the full version of 6.0.3 which has already been installed before. Is there a way to tweak the settings in such a way to make sure that PHPStorm 7 gets started?

• Heiko Müller says:

Just discovered that I used to add the “old” version to the $PATH to be able to use PHPStorm for SVN diffs from the CLI #) So, pls ignore my question.