PyCharm 2 is here: double the charm, double the power!

With a great pleasure we are announcing the availability of PyCharm 2, the new major update for our Python IDE.

We are very proud with this new release as it really takes PyCharm to the next level.
1. The range of supported technologies has expanded. The biggest addition is Mako and Jinja2 template languages. We’ve strengthened the core Python support by integrating code coverage, IPython, PyPy and some new static code analysis possibilities. Other big additions include support for Cython and CoffeeScript.

2. The new IDE UI makes PyCharm look much nicer on all supported platforms. Platform integration got much better with support for symbolic links, improved integration with docks, drag’n'drop between file manager and PyCharm on Linux and improvements on Mac OS X such as full-screen support.

3. Significantly reworked editor architecture provides better responsiveness and lag-less typing even in huge documents. Faster indexing and IDE startup speed are ensured on all supported platforms.

Read more about what else is new in PyCharm 2.0 and download the IDE now.

NOTE: PyCharm 2.0 is a free update for everyone who purchased their PyCharm license after Dec 12, 2010.

Develop with pleasure!
The PyCharm Team

This entry was posted in Release Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to PyCharm 2 is here: double the charm, double the power!

1. GiacomoL says:

Uh, how am I supposed to upgrade? Should I just run the new installer on top of the existing version ?

2. Joe White says:

Do you support automatic code folding for CoffeeScript code blocks? I’ve been looking for an editor that does that for ages — it’s a necessity when you’re working with nested Jasmine specs. (So far I’ve just been using SciTE and switching it into Python mode, but it’d be so much nicer if I could use an editor that actually knows about CoffeeScript, so I could type -> [Enter] and have the next line automatically be indented.)

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

Yes, PyCharm supports both code folding and code formatting for CoffeeScript. This is still fairly new stuff, so it’s possible that you’ll run into some rough edges.

3. jevus says:

Nice one, add support to pylons/pyramid please?

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

Pyramid support is under consideration, but not on our near-term roadmap yet.

• David says:

Support for Chameleon (ZPT) would be awesome as well. At very least some HTML-style syntax highlighting for *.pt files.

Can’t seem to see if it’s possible to allow arbitrary highlighting for certain globs of files in PyCharm. Any thoughts?

4. Garyb says:

Also wondering about upgrade from 1.5.4. When I check for update it says nothing to update. Will that eventually update my 1.5.4 app or will I need to install 2.0 normally and enter my username and license key from 1.5.4?

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

You’ll need to perform a complete installation of the new version. When you run PyCharm 2.0 for the first time, it will offer to import the settings from the previous version, and the imported settings will include your license key.

5. Adam Smith says:

THANKS!

One quick feature request: if I’m on tab A, switch to tab B, and close tab B, I want to be taken back to tab A rather than the “next document tab”.

THANKS AGAIN!

Adam

• Francisco Barros says:

Hi Adam!

It’s already available: File menu -> Settings
      Then at IDE Settings: Editor -> Editor Tabs
      And, at right panel: When closing active editor: Activate most recently opened tab.

Cheers!
      Francisco.

6. Bryan Alsdorf says:

Loving the support for Jinja2 and all the other changes in 2.0. I just wish you guys had released it a few days earlier, my license for upgrades expired December 9th!

7. Jaffar says:

Will these changes be added to the IntelliJ IDEA 11 Python plugin?

8. Joe White says:

After spending some time using PyCharm 2, I really have to wonder why you claim to “support” CoffeeScript. PyCharm reports compiler errors in code that compiles just fine; the syntax highlighting often ignores the settings I’ve configured; the automatic indentation often doesn’t work at all. And worst of all, code reformatting (or cut/paste) will turn valid code (e.g. nested for loops — it’s not like it takes anything fancy) into something that doesn’t even compile. (Yes, I’ve reported all of these in YouTrack.)

I don’t mind reporting a few bugs in an EAP, but every time I sit down to edit CoffeeScript in PyCharm 2.0.1, I find more bugs, and for a “release” version, that is not OK.

Are there any plans for a bugfix release to fix all these problems, and maybe spend some extra time on ad-hoc QA looking for more stuff that needs fixing too? Please? I *want* to like PyCharm, really I do. But right now it’s just a steady source of frustration.