How PyCharm helps you with remote development

Have you ever wanted to develop a Python or Web application for Linux from your laptop running Windows 7 or MAC OS X? To debug or test your application on different operating systems without ever leaving the IDE? Or just to run large applications that you develop as a team on a dedicated provisioned environment, rather than on regular workstations? Guess what: all of this is possible with the remote development features already available in PyCharm.

The central entry point to remote development with PyCharm is the notion of Remote Interpreters.

You can configure PyCharm to use Python interpreter from a remote host and set it as your project interpreter. Then you can configure your run/debug configurations to run, debug or test your applications on the remote host. The remote host can be a physical remote server, a VM or even a virtualenv environment – it doesn’t matter. PyCharm has everything you need to work with all types of remote hosts.

Actually, most of the Remote Development stuff was already available in previous versions of PyCharm and covered in these nice tutorials. But we never stop working on improving your comfort and user experience, so PyCharm 2.7 gets new additional features.

Vagrant integration

Native Vagrant integration is now implemented in PyCharm 2.7+. It is supported via the plugin Vagrant that comes already bundled with PyCharm. Vagrant integration makes it much easier to provision and manage your VMs, connect to them over the SSH and automatically configure a remote interpreter and an FTP deployment, if you run your development environment in a VM using Vagrant. All this without leaving the IDE!

Before you start working with Vagrant, make sure that the Vagrant plugin is enabled (this is the default). Also make sure that Oracle VirtualBox and Vagrant are installed on your machine.

First, open Settings | Project Settings | Vagrant:

Enter appropriate paths for “Vagrant executable” and “Instance folder,” and then add your first Vagrant Box by clicking the Add (green plus) button:

Here, choose a name for your new Vagrant box and provide the Box URL for downloading the template. Click OK to start downloading your VM.

Good! Now, after this step we have VM downloaded and added to our environment:

Next, open Tools | Vagrant. You will see the Vagrant menu node containing different commands, which correspond to the standard Vagrant actions:

First you need to initialize a Vagrantfile for your project. Select “Init in Project Root” in the menu to automatically create the Vagrantfile, and you will be able to see and modify it like any other file within your project.

Now you can start your first VM! To do so, select Tools | Vagrant | Up.
On the bottom of the screen a special console will open showing you the progress and output from Vagrant:

To be able to run your project on the VM or to connect to the VM, you need to configure the remote interpreter.

This is done through Settings | Project Settings | Project Interpreter | Python Interpreters. Click the Add button and select “Remote interpreter.” Here you will get the “Configure Remote Python Interpreter” dialog:

You can fill it manually, as for an arbitrary remote host, or just use “Fill from Vagrant config.” Click it – and voila! All the required fields are filled with your Vagrant box details.

After this step the remote interpreter will be added to your project. You can set it as the default project interpreter as well.

From this point on you can execute your project using the remote interpreter on the VM:

The Vagrant plugin works gracefully with the Vagrantfile. You can manually edit it, and all you need is just to click Tools | Vagrant | Reload for the Vagrant plugin to pick up new settings.

For example you can set up custom path mappings in Vagrantfile:

After the Vagrant Box is reloaded, a mapping will be created and you will see a new shared folder into your project folder.

Integrated SSH console

One of the coolest and most useful features is that you can log in to your remote host via SSH and work in its console without leaving PyCharm. To do that, just select Tools | Run SSH Terminal. A console opens on the bottom with the prompt:

Feel free to discover its usability. You can even launch Vim in it:

As you can see, PyCharm comes with everything but the kitchen sink! So we really hope you’ll enjoy these new enhancements and feel comfortable developing your applications on remote environments. And as always, please report your issues or feature requests to our YouTrack bug-tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!
PyCharm team

This entry was posted in Cool Feature. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to How PyCharm helps you with remote development

1. Łukasz Mierzwa says:

Could vagrant box be started automatically when I open PyCharm project using it?
    Right now I open my project and PyCharm complains that it cannot connect to remote interpreter.

2. Michal Frankowski says:

If you want Vagrant support in PhpStorm vote for the issue here:

3. Žilvinas says:

Does PyCharm include auto completes for JavaScript ?

4. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Too bad the console is still unable to intercept CTRL+C and the like… :-(

5. Rob Fisher says:

FWIW remote development (and debugging) is the killer feature for me, and the main reason I am lobbying my boss to buy a commercial license and will buy a personal one myself if he says no. The way it figures out what libraries are installed remotely and installs its own helper code is very slick.

However, couple of things I’m struggling with:

Tools : Run Python Console does not seem to set up the path correctly (it uses the local path, not the remote one). And the Traceback after a run is not highlighted with links as I would expect. Possibly this is because the remote file paths are not recognised. Am I missing some trick?

6. Olaf Skaug says:

Can we get syntax highlighting for Vagrantfile in PyCharm? Or do we have to get IntelliJ or RubyMine to be able to edit these files without headaches?
    Right now I feel like I’ll be better off editing in an external application, which seems weird when you’ve gone through all the trouble of integrating Vagrant in the first place.

Don’t misunderstand me, I love PyCharm.

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

Vagrantfile is a Ruby file, so it would be difficult for us to provide syntax highlighting for Vagrantfile without providing general Ruby syntax highlighting. And we have obvious business reasons for not including Ruby support in a Python IDE.

One possible option is to install a TextMate bundle for Ruby and to use it for highlighting the Vagrantfile.

• Asko Soukka says:

I have managed to get syntax highlighting for Ruby files working with TextMate plugin, but no luck with Vagrantfile. No matter what I write into File Types (or into filetypes in TM-plugins plists’). Because Vagrant-support is a major features, syntax highlight for Vagrantfiles should be easier…

• Michel says:

Although sort of a hack, the problem is that the Vagrantfile is not recognized as a ruby file. You could place a Vagrantfile.rb symlink to the Vagrantfile and edit that one, that would make PyCharm recognize the file as a ruby file and apply syntax highlighting accordingly.

7. VoSi says:

It’s time for _next_pyCharm_version_ roadmap! )))

8. BrunoAltinet says:

Hey all,

I’m new to this and this and all of this looks very interesting, but my final goal with all this is to have a following set up:
    1. Pycharm on my windows box
    2. Fire up Vagrant with python, postgresql and django inside my project
    3. Do remote debugging of my vagrant box through my pycharm by clicking debug. I think all the pieces are here, but i can’t seem to connect the dots. The goal is to not have minimum python-related stuff on my windows box but still be able to do editing through pycharm.

9. Matt Davis says:

I am a bit frustrated (but also optimistic) that every time I come back to the topic of getting a remote interpreter fully working with PyCharm–that I can never actually close the loop.

First off–I am looking to get this working simply from PyCharm on Windows 7 connecting to a remote interpreter on an Ubuntu VirtualBox guest. I am NOT looking to use Vagrant (though every tutorial seems to imply this step) and simply want to connect to an existing VM that I run with full GUI. The connection test always works out, but when it comes to running the tests or project it can never find the settings or some such thing.

This configuration is important to me as it would open up what I am actually capable of doing in PyCharm. I don’t get if I need to do something with Servers–it seems configuring the remote interpreter lets you specify all the connection settings just fine.

Also I don’t get Where the code loads from — does it run off the location in Windows or does it run off what is in the VM? Kind of a trick question since I use Virtual Box shared folders already and they are actually the same location. Please Help!

• Justin says:

You need to move your code to the directory in your VM that is the same as the local directory of where your code is, or a symlink.

Also you will need to copy the files from .pycharm_helpers to /home/vagrant/.pycham_helpers.

You will see a string of the command that PyCharm in running in the run dialog like this:
      ssh://vagrant@172.16.1.90:22/usr/bin/python -u /Local/Path/To/MyCode/manage.py runserver 8000
      Where local path to my code is where you code live on your machine. Make a symlink to that dir on your VM and you should be good to go.

• Justin says:

Looks like I was wrong. os.getcwd() shows that the directory is /home/vagrant/ so putting your code there will work. Still looking into how to append the sys.path using a remote interpreter.

10. xyzzyqed says:

Is it possible to use an existing Oracle VM virtual box with vagrant, or only this lucid32 box? I am running windows at home and would like to use my debian virtualbox as remote interpreter. Currently I have this working through by ssh’ing to my virtualbox. This does work fine although I run into problems when I use matplotlib and want to get a graph as output – I get an error from Tkinter: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable.

How can I setup pycharm to work with my debian virtualbox and is it possible to get graphical output back?

11. Noly Khemin says:

Hi,
    Vagrant support is great but there’s little thing that bugs me. Before using vagrant, error traceback produced by python shows local file path that when you click on it, pycharm brings it on editor. This is very convenient. But when using vagrant the traceback shows remote path which pycharm cannot link to.

Image: http://cl.ly/image/0x1Z3n3z2a2c

Any chance getting around this ?

12. Is it possible to launch a Django app in vagrant and set breakpoints in pycharm? I have been able to <i<run my Django app using the run configuration with my vagrant python interpreter, but when I try to use the same config to debug it it fails (I browse to my application in the browser and nothing is running). Is there some additional setup required to make this possible?

13. Saptak Sen says:

Is there a tutorial which walks me through setting up Virtual Environment for Django App with Vagrant and then configuring PyCharm remote debugging to work with it.

14. Can you guys add a Vagrant command for “provision?” I’m working a lot on my Puppet modules and having a keyboard shortcut for provisioning my box would be AWESOME.