Announcing The PyCharm 3.4 Release

We’re happy to announce the immediate availability of PyCharm 3.4, the new major release of our intelligent IDE for Python and Web development. As before, PyCharm 3.4 is available as a full-fledged Professional Edition for Python and Web development or the free and open-source Community Edition for pure Python development and education.

Download PyCharm 3.4 for your platform today!

Despite the minor version number, PyCharm 3.4 is a true major release. We’re staying up to speed with the cutting-edge technologies from the Python world, in particular the latest versions of Python 3.4, Django 1.7 and others, which you’ve come to expect.

With v3.4 we introduce improved functionality, better performance, and many handy new must-have features that we hope will make you even more productive!

Here are the most notable highlights of the release:

- New Python interpreters management with a new UI
- New refined support for remote interpreters
- Django 1.7 support
- New live templates for Python
- Multiple carets and selections
- Vagrant support improvements
- New automatic quick-fixes
- Full debug support in the interactive Python console
- Debugging for Stackless Python
- Advanced built-in AngularJS support
- IdeaVim plugin updated with new enhancements
- New ‘Github’ color scheme for the PyCharm editor
- And many other valuable improvements across the IDE

Please see what’s new in PyCharm 3.4 for more details, and download the IDE for your platform.

PyCharm 3.4 Professional Edition is a free update for everyone who purchased their license after May 29, 2013. As usual, a 30-day trial is available if you want to try PyCharm as your new Python/Django IDE.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains PyCharm Team

About Dmitry Filippov

Product Marketing Manager at JetBrains
This entry was posted in Release Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Announcing The PyCharm 3.4 Release

1. Jason Shive says:

This is fantastic. Just today I moved development on an app from python 2.7 | django 1.6 to python 3.4 | django 1.7.b4. I had many issues using PyCharm Pro 3.1.3 and came here some what randomly. Imagine my excitement when I say PyCharm 3.4 available with all the updates I was missing. I’ve been using the release for a bit now and it’s working great.

Now if I could just get these migrations to work as expected …

2. Jon says:

Pycharm is great! There almost always at the top of any ide list http://malwaredoc.com/best-python-ide

3. Ari says:

I got the 3.1.3 PyCharm Pro version.
    Just clicked “help –> check for updates” and PyCharm insists I’m already running the latest version.

Is there a problem with update?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi! This is expected! There is no patch update from 3.1 to 3.4 since 3.4 is a new major version that have different bedrock.
      You have an option here to install 3.4 along your current 3.1 installation (3.4 will import all your settings from 3.1) and then if you are ok with that – remove 3.1.

• traff says:

Actually there is a patch update from PyCharm 3.1.3. It should work, please check-out.

• endre says:

For me it does not work. Says the patch is 28M, downloads about 18M then restarts itself, no upgrade happens. I saw this happen with earlier versions as well for no apparent reason.

Ubuntu 14.04, community edition.

4. Vasili says:

I heart you PyCharm. You made me so much better at coding Python.

Thank you for the update.

5. Sam says:

Hello,
    Maya user here, is it possible to have a clear answer to know if remote debugging is possible for Maya in Pycharm, and if sending code from Pycharm to Maya is a feature implemented ?

Thanks.

6. Vincent says:

Seems like updating to 3.4 broke the typescript support (some of my references paths cannot be resolved anymore), is it a known bug?

7. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

I can’t get the multiple cursors thing to work on Ubuntu, when holding left Alt (my right Alt is AltGr) nothing happens. Is it really just Alt + click? Maybe there is a possibility to redefine this (e.g. make it Super or something)? It could be that my window manager is interfering, but I really can’t find out what’s the problem.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Please try Alt + Shift + Click. This shortcut will be changed to Alt + Click in future though. <- If that will interfere with your windows manager, please redefine according command in windows manager. PyCharm doesn’t allow to redefine multiple cursors shortcut.

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Indeed, left Alt + Shift + click works. I’ve tried that before, but it was interfering with the keyboard layout selector, which I have on Alt + Shift for historical reasons (so, window manager is not guilty). Is it possible to include the option to redefine this in the future? I’m very interested in this feature, but changing a ~15 year old habit is out of question… I would like to bind it to AltGr + click, or AltGr + Shift + click, or Super + click, or something.

• traff says:

Hi Yuri, sure you can remap this shortcut. It is Settings | Keymap | Editor Actions | Add or Remote Caret

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Thanks traff, this works!

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Hi traff, I have a follow-up question: is it possible to define a keyboard shortcut for this feature? For example, I’d like to use it as a vi vertical mode. It would be then very useful to have the possibility to create cursors at down or up position from the current one.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi Yury, yes it’s possible. Please go to Setting | Keymap and find “Clone Caret Above” and “Clone Caret Below” entries. Define keyboard shortcuts that work for you. Let me know if this is what you were looking for?

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Hi Dmitry, amazing, so you’ve preempted my feature request? Yes, this is what I was looking for. Strangely I can’t map it to Alt + Super + Up / Alt + Super + Down, because Alt + Super combination is not recognized and the IDE assigns it to Alt + Up / Alt + Down instead, but AltGr + Up / AltGr + Down worked nicely… I guess it’s even better :-)

8. Steve D says:

I have 3.4 installed, but don’t see Django 1.7 in packages, only 1.6.5… How do I get 1.7?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

PyCharm 3.4 doesn’t ship Django. Django 1.7 is currently at beta status. That’s why it’s not being distributed in a normal way via package manager (pypi). So you need to install Django 1.7 manually, following installation instuctions or add a repository in PyCharm’s settings that contains Django 1.7 beta.

9. Lúcio says:

It looks like vagrant support is broken in 3.4: When I try to run a django server configuration, it runs it with remote python interpreter but with local manage.py path.

How can that be fixed?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

It seems to be you haven’t set correct path mappings (mapping of remote directories to local).
      You can do it in Run | Edit Configurations | Path Mappings (on Configuration tab). Please set the accordance of local and remote paths.

10. +1 for “send to maya” button :)

11. Barry says:

Everytime I get a major PyCharm update, my unittest won’t run in the IDE. I have to a bunch random things and somehow magically the unittest will run again.

For the last three versions: 3.0, 3.1, 3.4, they all had some changes to project dependencies and project structure. I know those changes are not fancy or shining, can you guys put out some explanation ?! I don’t want to waste a few hours every time when I get a new update.

• Jung-Hoon Rhew says:

I have the same issue. Can you share your tricks to make it work in 3.4?

• Jung-Hoon Rhew says:

Ok, it seems I figured it out.
        In File->settings->Project Structure, I changed the “content root” from the project directory to its parent directory. Then, the unittest started working.

I’m not sure it’s the right way to do though.

12. Andreas says:

+1 for “Gulp Integration”

Would be great to see an new major/minor update on PyCharm with Gulp … and those new features which are introduced in WebStorm 9 EAP and todays PHPStorm 8 Update.