Scala Worksheet: instant evaluation

More than year ago we implemented first version of Scala Worksheet. It had convenient interface, but it was possible to make coffee, while worksheet would finish evaluation, so it was almost unusable.

Now, in Scala plugin of versions 0.30.383 and 0.32.550, Scala Worksheet supports almost instant evaluation (don’t forget to use Ctrl + Alt + W shortcut):

Additionally your evaluation results will be saved even on the IDE restart until you will clean it or re-evaluate.

We are also planning to add highlighting for the output, so any suggestion are welcome as it’s not obvious how to do it.

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Scala Worksheet: instant evaluation

1. Pingback: Scala Worksheet: 即時評価で高速プロトタイピング | JetBrains ブログ

2. Marius-Andrei Danila says:

Hello,

Great to see that worksheets are properly supported in Intellij. However, I cannot manage to make it work.

I have created a SBT project, then a new worksheet. After inserting some code and pressing “Evaluate worksheet” nothing happens. Syntax & error highlighting work fine, but no results appear in the right panel.

I am doing something wrong?

3. Heiko says:

It has become so fast, you even can’t see the results ;-)

I’m on OS X, Idea 13.0.2, Java 7. The previous plugin worked (slowly), now evaluation doesn’t take place or at least doesn’t show up.

4. Anil says:

I have Idea 13.0.2, Java 7. After pressing compile.. compile result doesn’t show up. Please fix.

5. Richard says:

Same here. I am on Windows 7, Idea 13.0.2, Java 7 and 30.383 does not work. I went back to 29.464 and it is working again.

6. Igor Kolomiets says:

Ура! Наконец. Спасибо.

7. Alex says:

Scala worksheet works really faster with scala plugin v0.30.383 (project jdk 1.6.0_45, bundled idea jre 1.7) but IDEA scala compiler fails with the same error as already submitted here: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/SCL-6687

8. Pingback: Feedly – Scala Worksheet: instant evaluation | IntelliJ Scala plugin blog | HGW XX/7

9. Max says:

Can you explain me why the scala worksheet has a different behavior to the scala ide?

10. Paul says:

I have the same issue.

How can I install newer version of plugin via intelliJ plugin downloads ? Scala plugin version available is 0.26.361 right now. And if I try to load the plugin from the disk, I get an error (incompitable to current version error)

11. Angel says:

I have just used it and if I have a worksheet that contains a lot of code that does not generate any output, the editor won’t allow me to scroll down and see my code.