WebStorm 6.0, a new major update of our JavaScript IDE is available for immediate download and we are very excited to tell you what’s in it!

First, WebStorm allows for smarter and more streamlined web development with modern languages such as TypeScript, CoffeeScript and Dart. In addition to providing a first-class code editor for these languages, WebStorm 6 offers:

• Automatic compilation/transpilation of these higher-level languages into those recognized by browsers on all supported platforms.
  • Full-featured debugging of TypeScript, Dart or CoffeeScript with source maps.

And third, new IDE look and feel, and Darcula, a new native dark UI theme for the IDE and the editor are finally available for WebStorm users.

Other noteworthy features include:

• Revised approach to handling JavaScript libraries, allowing JS developers to work transparently with release versions of files stored in the project: the IDE uses them only when needed and ignores them the rest of the time.
  • Live Edit, introduced in the previous release, now brings improved usability and support for HTML5 live editing.
  • JavaScript code validation against Google Closure Linter added to the already available JSHint, JSLint, and own custom inspections.
  • Improved HTML and CSS, Sass and Less coding, with a re-designed HTML structure view and support for even faster coding using Emmet snippets in the editor.
  • Built-in HTTP server and REST Client.

This is of course far from all. Read more about these and other new features on WebStorm web site and download your 30-day trial for your platform.

WebStorm 6.0 is a free update for everyone who purchased their license after Mar 6, 2012

This blog is permanently closed.

This entry was posted in Release Announcements, WebStorm. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to WebStorm 6.0 released: adds TypeScript, debugging with source maps, fresh UI and much more

1. Simen says:

Hi!

I recently bought IntelliJ, and as I’ve understood it, it incorporates many of your “smaller” IDEs. My question is, will this release of WebStorm get into IntelliJ, and if so when, or will it be into the next release of IntelliJ (ver. 13)?

Either way, your products are beyond awesome, keep up the good work!

• ksafonov says:

Thanks! Nearest IntelliJ IDEA 12.1 release is going to have all the listed features (via either bundled plugins or plugins that you can install from our repository).

• Ron says:

I’m actually trialling both WebStorm 6 and IntelliJ 12.04 right now.

In IntelliJ, I’ve noticed that I the JavaScript project lack Google’s Closure Linter (gjslint) and Node.JS stuff, which is in WebStorm. Is this just part of the IntelliJ 12.1 update?

As I occasionally have to work on Java and PHP code, I would find an IntelliJ licence quite attractive, but not if there are features that are unique to WebStorm. Generally speaking, does IntelliJ eventually inherit everything from WebStorm and PHPStorm?

• ksafonov says:

Yes, IntelliJ IDEA 12.1 will have everything onboard (either bundled or available via free plugins)

2. Lamonte "G4MR" says:

Still can’t seem to change the font in webstorm 6.0 :/ been trying to change it to Panic Sans and the font size is disabled and it won’t let me individually select the font to add to the list.

• Richard Hobson says:

Are you trying to change the font on a default theme? You have to make a copy of the theme you are using then change the font in your copy.

3. Lamonte "G4MR" says:

Also getting this error with the LESS watcher:

8:14:55 AM An exception occurred while executing watcher ‘LESS’. Watcher is disabled. Fix it.: Cannot run program “E:\wamp\www\scnotes\bootstrap\css\style.less” (in directory “E:\wamp\www\untitled\project\css”): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application

I clicked on fix it :/, same error

• Fedor Korotkov says:

Could you please create an issue with details? http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB#newissue=yes

• Lamonte "G4MR" says:

Deleted the file and fixed the directory, only thing that has changed w/ the error is the directory:

8:28:55 AM An exception occurred while executing watcher ‘LESS’. Watcher is disabled. Fix it.: Cannot run program “E:\wamp\www\untitled\project\css\style.less” (in directory “E:\wamp\www\untitled\project\css”): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application

I’m running 64bit windows btw

4. sby says:

When run TypeScript (0.8.3) file in debugging mode with breakpoints,
    the debugger dos not stop in breakpoints, I am using chrome 25.0

5. How does the debugging CoffeeScript work? I followed these instructions, however my project is a standalone CoffeeScript application (so not run inside an HTML file). Source map creation works, however I can’t run Debug (grayed out) and just setting breakpoints before running doesn’t catch them.

6. Steve says:

Will this be included in Ruby Mine 5 ?

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

Depending on what you mean by “this”. Most of the features of WebStorm 6 are either already available in RubyMine 5 or will be included in RubyMine 5.1.

• Steve says:

This is very vague unless maybe your an expert at RubyMine – I’m not.

Could you help show where you can find all these features in RubyMine today ?

The point is, I bought RubyMine under the impression that RubyMine would contain all the features of WebStorm.

And ‘this’ refers to the ‘update’ of WebStorm 6.0 release ???

I’m interested in typescript, coffeescript and the source map features – are these available in RubyMine

7. Steve says:

sby, do you have source maps enabled in Chrome when debugging with the Chrome tools ?

8. Great stuff. I purchased the ultimate edition last year and I’m guessing these will make it into that edition soon (via plugin)?

Having said that, I have a feature request: please support PhantomJS as it is gaining more and more users lately. PhantomJS supports mean a whole sub-ecosystem of JS (mainly for automation testing) is now exposed to this great IDE :).

9. sby says:

@Steve

Yes the source map is enabled both in tsc command and chrome.

One thing, when I refresh the page from the browser the breakpoints triggered.

10. Erich Oliphant says:

Is CoffeeScript debugging working for Node.js apps? I have PhpStorm 6 Preview 127.67 installed. I have an existing node.js app, but have now dropped in a new .coffee script. The FileWatcher is working fine, I’ve updated the options to generate the .map. So I get the .js and the .map file for the .coffee source. However, breakpoints, etc in the .coffee file aren’t recognized (though they are in the generated .js)

11. Bill says:

Hi, I’m currently loving the new update. I’ve finally made the leap from JS to TS thanks to the new TS support and auto compilation feature.

A couple of suggestions though after using TS on Webstorm for a couple of days:
    1. TypeScript syntax highlighting extensions
    - The editor seems to currently use the JS highlighting inputs for TS. It would be nice if we could get custom highlighting for ex.
    - module names (external and internal)
    - import variables
    - variable types
    - etc.
    - I’m currently adding in-file global references to external module names just so that I can get the syntax highlighting.

2. Type/Signature deducing of variables/functions upon hovering over them.
    - It would be nice if we could have tooltips of the types/signatures variables have been deduced as when we have the mouse over the variables/functions. It’s something I’m used to in VS and miss a bit with the current TS update of Webstorm.

These are just 2 things that currently come to mind.
    Thanks again for another great release!

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

Hi, Bill. Thanks for your feedback!
      1. Feel free to vote for WEB-2073
      2. Try hover the mouse with Ctrl pressed over them. Variable definition pops up with type if it is explicitly spectified.

12. Bill says:

I’m also getting a strange error with the following TS code:

var selectedPeriod: string = “innate”;
    var periodData: string[] = [ "innate", "decade", "year", "month", "day", "time" ];
    periodData.indexOf( selectedPeriod );

“periodData.indexOf( selectedPeriod );” has a red line under selectedPeriod with the error message: “Argument type String is not assignable to parameter Object”.

The code works fine in the TypeScript playground and I’m getting no errors during the auto compile; just the red line and error tooltip in the IDE.

Thanks again!

13. Steve says:

I only see NodeJS (and Bindows) in my list of plugins for the latest RubyMine – how would I see items like typescript support ?

14. Steve says:

Last comment – there are many ‘plugins’ – the repository needs to show what is from Jetbrains vs. what is from 3rd party devs. The ability to sync multiple Jetbrain’s products is important –

I bought RubyMine expecting everything from WebStorm + Ruby on Rails support.

Comments are closed.