Meet WebStorm 8 Development Roadmap

With the second bug-fix update for WebStorm already available, it’s time for us to make plans for the next major version. We’re sure it’s going to be really great!

Please note the developed roadmap is not a finalized list of features that you’ll see in WebStorm 8. It’s pretty flexible and may be subject to changes. By announcing it now we would like to start the discussion and get some early feedback.

WebStorm 8 is planned for release in early 2014 (February or March). Have a look at the full version of WebStorm 8 development roadmap.

The primary focus of our upcoming release is going to be on the tools and workflows. Here is what we have in mind and have included in the roadmap:

• Integration of spy-js – powerful tool for JavaScript tracing, debugging and profiling
  • Support of Yeoman workflow: Yo, Bower and Grunt
  • New improved console in JavaScript debugger

Another big thing we’re planning is advanced built-in support for AngularJS. Please share with us your experience using the existing plugin: What do you like or don’t like? What are you missing? We do want to know.

Of course, we are planning to improve the existing support for different technologies (JavaScript, TypeScript, style sheet languages and more) and optimize product performance.

Hopefully by January we’ll be ready to show you a preview of WebStorm 8 with our Early Access Program. Follow the updates in our Twitter @WebStormIDE and here in the blog.

We’ll be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions here or on our issue tracker where you can vote for issues or submit new feature requests.

Develop with pleasure!
WebStorm Team

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Early Access Preview and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Meet WebStorm 8 Development Roadmap

1. Marco Rinck says:

What I’m missing the most from the existing angularJS plugin:

* type-ahead for angular expressions in html files (between those double brackets), at best it would only list viable functions/properties for current scope, but at least it should only list functions/properties which are added to any scope in this project
    * automatic pick-up of custom elements/tags from angular directives

2. Ray Shan says:

Making AngularJS play nicer with CoffeeScript would be nice, e.g. AngularJS plugin’s search functionality in WebStorm 7 goes to compiled js object definition only.

3. Dylan Greene says:

Including an .editorconfig file has quickly taken off in open source projects to set editor settings like tabbing.

There is a plugin for Webstorm, but it does not work in Webstorm 7 and could use some love. It would be even nicer if it was built in.

Real-world examples:

4. Dylan Greene says:

Javascript -> Libraries -> Download... -> TypeScript community stubs ->
    (pick one)
    -> Download and Install -> Repeat.

This is such a useful feature but it’s hidden and painful to keep doing on every project.

Could this be easier to find and more automated based on finding a package.json or scanning the node_modules directory, or a new .dotfile we check in that works like .editorconfig which tells WebStorm which typedlibs to load.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

We’ve discussed your suggestion briefly. We think that we’ll try to parse package.json, search for the stubs and suggest adding them to the project’s External libraries. We’ll see how it works.

btw make sure that the downloaded stubs have global scope, then you won’t need to install them again for another project.

5. Vladimir Varankin says:

Enhanced support for per filetypes code-style would be great. For example to have a separate setting for code-style in JSON files and JS

6. Erik Reedstrom says:

It would be nice to have code complete with HTML preprocessors like Jade. I haven’t used the plugin for a bit, but previously it would only code complete in HTML.

7. shawn says:

Perhaps a good functionality target for IDE support with AngularJS would be something similar to what Visual Studio can do (did?) with Silverlight/XAML.

One potentially interesting feature from silverlight is the design time data support. With Silverlight you can have sample viewmodel data that allows a rich design experience then at runtime it’s replaced by the real data.

8. kris says:

I am very happy to see this software growing but I can’t appreciate it. I am actually Visual studio Express user.

Everything I work in my PC work better then I want. from Webstorm trial I found it’s very slow. yes I use it from a time but nothing make it so special.

feature are well-designed but too slow. last time I open a big html file and it’s run like a crap.

would you guys have this in you todo-list. can I expect it from running wonderfully like submit and VWD 13.

• Dennis Ushakov says:

Kris, we would be very grateful if you can capture CPU snapshot as described here after opening that file once again so we can fix your performance problems

• Matthew Blott says:

You’re a little fortunate to get a response and you may have been given the benefit of the doubt as English doesn’t seem to be your first language. Perhaps you might phrase your criticism a little better next time :-)

9. I would like to see an option to trigger manual builds of typescript rather than using the file watcher where hitting a button rebuilds either a single file and/or everything in the project.

The file watcher has a nasty habit of getting into an infinite loop and the Typescript compiler can be sloooow (not your fault). I find myself waiting whilst Typescript grinds through the code. If I interrupt the process by shutting down Webstorm then I run the risk of having the underlying javascript code out of sync.

• Might be worth saying “in addition to” the file watcher – i.e. I could either us the file watcher or the manual rebuild option.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

There is an option in the File Watcher configuration called Immediate file sync. If you disable it, then the compilation won’t start every time you make a change in the file and will only be triggered with manual Save (Ctrl+S/Cmd+S).

10. Benoît says:

Some sort of RDF support (Turtle syntax, triplets navigation), to complement the existing XML and XSLT would be useful.

11. Benoît says:

The Mac world is split in two: there are the BBEdit persons and the TextMate. I’m a BBEdit guy myself :)

12. Brett Fattori says:

For the AngularJS plug-in, I agree with expression type-ahead. I would also like to see Scope detection for methods and values, or (even better) be able to see a Scope’s scope relative to other scopes. Additionally, being able to command-click on a module/controller/factory/etc. name and have it navigate to its declaration. Links to the AngularJS relevant documentation for built-in directives, etc.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Thanks for the feedback.

• Brett Fattori says:

Oh yeah, add the ability to enable “AngularJS” for a project so that features can be enabled such as:
      * Click on a tag in HTML template, jump to the directive if it’s in the code base
      * Suggest converting to/creating an AngularJS value, factory, service, etc.
      * Automatic support for minification using the module.service(‘MyService’, ['module', 'service', function(module, service) { ... }] format of the injector.

13. Denis Vuyka says:

As for Npm dialog in WebStorm, it will be really great to have any visual indication whether package is local or global. Also it lacks ability updating ‘package.json’ file upon package upgrade (a checkbox to enable/disable such behavior would be really useful).

14. Ronag says:

AngularDart Plugin

15. Zach King says:

It would be great if you added support for ES6 modules (and other features) and use one of the transpilers to change it into current ES5. Maybe through the use of traceur or some other project.

Maybe this already there and I just missed it >_>

16. WebStorm is smart when it is given the right library definition files.
    Sometimes I wish I could make that knowledge be reflected in the code/documentation.

E.g. in the cases where WebStorm can infer the types of variables or parameters, it would be cool if there was a quickfix to add this type information into the source code with JSDoc annotations (in the case of Javascript) or explicit variable type declarations (in the case of typescript). That way code becomes more readable and you do not have to invoke the completion on a symbol to actually benefit from the knowledge of the IDE.

E.g. I write:
    var el = document.getElementById(“myid”);

I would like to have an intention that “qualifies” the variable declaration to be:
    var /** HTMLElement*/ el = document.getElementById(“myid”);

Also if you press Ctrl-Q on “el” it would be nice to see this information. Currently you will only get “No documentation found”, even if there is a type comment. Instead I would like to see inferred type of the variable, just like you do when you press Ctrl-Q on a property.

It’s the small and seemingly simple things that can make a release great. Supporting more and more frameworks is good for a few devs each, but it’s the small things that almost all users will benefit from.

17. Stefan Schult says:

Maybe its possible to create shortcuts for some Grunttasks.

18. Cody Wyers says:

I would like for indexing (which takes several seconds when massive yeoman style angular projects are imported) to not lock me out of making additional edits.

I would like for a single escape press to return me to command mode when using the VIM plugin. As it stands, I have to kind of jam several times, hold it down, chant the ancient songs, perform the mystic rituals, and await for the time when the .idea deities determine it is appropriate to allow me to :w

19. Gunnar Reinseth says:

One thing I miss from working with Java projects is the ability to jump to test/spec files from the source file (Ctrl+Shift+T), with the option to create one if none exists.

20. Jaroslav Uher says:

I would appreciate if could add the same support for Jasmine unit testing of the server side Node.js based applications like there is for the nodeunit.

21. Jan Gottschick says:

What we really miss in our project and why we have to use Textmate, … for editing is the support for literate programming with coffeescript, which is part of the specification of coffeescript and allows creating of readable documentation.

Please complete your support of coffeescript in Webstorm!

22. Jim Pravetz says:

Improve debugger performance. Launch takes 30s, stepping can take 10s or more, resolving data can take awhile as well. Macbook Pro 5.3.

23. Jeff G says:

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback. I am new to WebStorm, so I might just not have found these yet…but that fact that I have to hunt for them is disappointing at best:

I want a single-click to discard all current changes to a file without saving them; i.e., File..Close…prompt for edits if it’s dirty, and allow to discard edits and close the file. Notepad implements this nicely. Use case: happens daily for me: I’ve made several edits and just want to chuck the whole pile. I don’t want to hunt through local version control lists to find the starting point to revert to…I know it exactly in these cases…it’s everything in the currently edited file. Just give me a close button that doesn’t save.

And the missing companion feature to that is the File..Save (NOT Save All), which saves changes to ONLY 1 file. Similar use case….made edits to lots of files and want to save and test just changes in one file.

I am still scratching my head about why full control over file saving is missing from an editor this mature. Isn’t that the first feature you build? Auto-save is convenient and nice most of the time, but when it isn’t, it is a huge stumbling block.

• Sergey Simonchik says:

Auto-save IDE feature is very convenient if you use VCS. If you don’t, you can use Local History as you said.
      Well, you can turn off auto-save feature (see the next comment). But still, you won’t be able to save only a single modified file: Ctrl+S/Cmd+S will save all modified files.

Honestly, I don’t fully understand the use-case of editing a few files and testing changes made only to a single file. In this case code you see in the editor and code being testing may differ. Thus bug finding is more complicated, isn’t it?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Auto-save feature is one of the cornerstones of all JetBrains IDEs that also makes it different from simple text editors. We believe that you just don’t have to think about saving the files while working in the IDE.
      However, there is, of course, a way to disable auto-save. May be you’ll find it useful:
      1. Go to Settings | General :
      Uncheck “Save files on frame deactivation”
      Uncheck “Save files automatically if application is idle for”
      2. Go to Settings | Editor | Editor Tabs
      Check “Mark modified tabs with asterisk”
      You can also look through a discussion about auto-save here: http://devnet.jetbrains.com/message/5469330

24. Tahir Ahmed says:

Hi,

I wanted to know WebStorm’s team’s thoughts on debugging websites remotely all from within the IDE’s confines. Tools like ‘weinre’ exist but using it to remotely debug a mobile website means code has to be injected etc but all this workflow is a little painful.

So the idea is, if WebStorm seems to be encapsulating a number of open-source tools already, why not give more attention to tools for remote debugging WITHOUT having to install a browser extension and utilize what is already been provided by the likes of ‘weinre’.

- Tahir.

25. Christian says:

Maybe it is time to add update of the application within the applicaiton itself rather than having to download the whole thing?

• Bob Cochran says:

This is already a feature if I understand you correctly. When 7.0.3 came out, I was notified of the update availability within Webstorm itself, when I started Webstorm. However, I work as a standard user, not as an administrative user. This makes a difference when you are updating an application that wants to put files in system directories. When I clicked the “update” (or equivalent) button on being notified of the update, I quickly got a warning dialog that write access was designed for certain files that needed to go into certain directories. To capture the update, I quit Webstorm 7.0.2, logged out of my standard account, and logged into my administrative account. I started Webstorm in that account, but apparently Webstorm’s license-checking logic expects each user on the operating system to have a paid license of Webstorm, and I was prompted for a license key at that point. I ‘cancelled’ that, which closed Webstorm. To get the 7.0.3 update, I had to go to the website download page and download the entire 7.0.3 *.dmg installer. That worked, but as you can see, it isn’t as easy to get updates as it should be because no thought is given to users who use the software as standard users plus the ultrastrict focus on licensing.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Bob,
        thank you for your feedback.
        WebStorm license allows you to use different versions of the product on one computer or on different machines as long as you are not using them simultaneously.
        It seems to me it your case everything should have been ok since you quit WebStorm before logged off your account. We’ll investigate this case.

26. Timo says:

I am using WS for a year now and I must say that no other JS IDE comes close. The quality of your IDEs is right at the top.

Can you please give a bit more info on the following feature:

AMD support

I know currently there is some very basic support for AMD [basic template] but I would like to know the level of support that will be provided in WS 8.x.

27. Eric Taylor says:

There should be an option to allow us to exclude compiled files when searching. So, for example, if I’m using LESS, there’s no need in most cases to search the corresponding CSS files. Sometimes, in working with the search results, I don’t notice that I’m actually typing into the CSS file instead of the LESS file.

But this is true for other types of compiled files, as well.

At a minimum, allow us to auto-lock compiled files to read-only.

Thank you.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Sounds reasonable. It might be an option in the File watcher…
      I encourage you to submit it as a feature request on youtrack.jetbrains.com/

28. sumanth says:

Native support for AngularJS , Yeoman and Web Components like polymer would be great.

29. Nuri says:

What about official Meteor JS debugging and code completion support?

30. merlin says:

I see lots of people talking about AngularJS Plugin. I hope WebStorm 8 could show some love to EmberJS.

31. Nicolas says:

I would like to see:

1. Autoformat sourcecode on save option
    2. Knockout integration

32. darkalive says:

Any plan to support sails.js deeply ?

33. Martin says:

angularjs
    If i write {{someText.message}} I want to have intellisense after the dot (.).

34. Kristian Mandrup says:

I totally agree with the main points of the Road Map :)

Better Yeoman, Bower, Grunt workflow and tool support must be top priority!
    Spy.js is also awesome addition :)
    To me LiveScript is CoffeeScript “done right” – far more powerful and even more intuitive syntax etc. Sadly it hasn’t yet caught on as much…

Would be cool with some better tutorials on how to create your own WebStorm extensions to enhance the community plugins and customize them for your own needs…