Quick Class Hierarchy View Using UML

IntelliJ IDEA 8.1.1 will support Show Class Hierarchy action that displays class hierarchy of a selected type. Just place the caret at any type in the code editor and press Ctrl+Alt+U.

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Quick Class Hierarchy View Using UML

1. tieTYT says:

There might be a missing key here… This only works for me when i press shift+ctrl+alt+u.

2. Stephan Anft says:

I think there is missing more than just a key … because shift+ctrl+alt+u is not the function mentioned. The “show class hierarchy” action displays the UML diagram as a popup and not in a new editor tab as shift+ctrl+alt+u is doing.

Is this function implemented in IDEA 8.1?

Regards,
    Stephan

3. Konstantin Bulenkov says:

Sorry, it was a misprint. Actually, this feature will be in 8.1.1 and it exists for a long time in Maia’s EAPs.

4. Ben says:

Cool, are you going to put this in Resharper too?

5. Is it possible to use the uml feature of intelli-j for flex development, too?

6. Konstantin Bulenkov says:

Thomas, multi-language UML support is coming. I believe it will be in Maia very soon. For Flex, PHP, JavaScript and maybe for other languages

7. I just tested the new feature with the latest EAP release of Intellij. It’s quite useful since you can see the whole class hierarchy at a glance. But I’m wondering why the popup takes 1 second to appear after pressing ctrl+alt+U. Is that normal?

@Scala users: It seems that the feature also works for Scala (at least a bit). The Scala classes are already drawn but the arrows between the classes are missing.

8. Konstantin Bulenkov says:

It’s time necessary to build UI and relationships. I’ll do my best to improve performance in next EAPs.

9. Ted says:

Is it possible to show the interaction between cooperating classes ?

10. Sean says:

I’m also wondering… ;)

11. Robert Lee says:

Is it possible to show a diagram of a class and all its implementations (rather than its parents)?
    I seem to have to add each implementing class one by one