Subversion 1.8 and IntelliJ IDEA 13

As you know, one of the features introduced in IntelliJ IDEA 13 is the long-awaited support for Subversion 1.8. Let’s have a closer look at it.

Unlike its earlier versions, Subversion 1.8 support uses the native command line client instead of SVNKit to run commands. This approach is more flexible and makes the support of upcoming versions much easier.

Now, IntelliJ IDEA offers different integration options for each specific Subversion:

• 1.6 – SVNKit only
  • 1.7 – SVNKit and command line client
  • 1.8 – Command line client only

If you opt to the command line client, make sure you have its binaries installed on your machine, because they are not bundled with IntelliJ IDEA.

In case the working copy format version is different from the command line client version, you will be prompted to make a conversion.

More details on the Subversion 1.8 support can be found here.

Feel free to report any found bugs to our issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Subversion 1.8 and IntelliJ IDEA 13

1. stepand76 says:

Is it possible to use IDEA *12* with SVN 1.8?

• Maxim Mossienko says:

Integrated Svn 1.8 support in IDEA 12 is absent because Svn 1.8 was released 3 months AFTER we released IDEA 12.1

• Rui Lopes says:

Do you know the concept of improvements, patches, corrections and plugins update?
        Dummy question of course, but the honesty of my question competes with the one of your comment.

2. Great work guys. Thank you!

3. Vk says:

Oh, it’s works fine for Windows, but I cant to run the Diff tool for Idea 13 for OSX…

4. Guy lubovitch says:

I am not clear, i am using idea 13 and a project that used svn 1.8 doesnt work on my idea 13? from this blog it should. any idea why it doesnt ?

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

What errors do you have? Could you provide some screenshots?

• deepnmn says:

On 13.1.1, on my 1.8 repo, I now get this message box:
      “No versioned directories to update was found”.
      The log just says “15:12:05 Errors found while svn working copies detection. Fix it.”

I have not checked “use command line”. My command line is 1.7 anyways.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

As described in the post, if your working copy format is 1.8 then only command line client integration is used (despite of the settings). So you have to install svn 1.8 command line client and specity path to it in settings.

• Bill Poitras says:

I have followed everything indicated here. I am currently using a SVN 1.8 client, IDEA has a path to the SVN executable. But I still get “No versioned directories to update was found”. I can run my command line client to get status, and update the files, but it doesn’t work inside the interface.

Intellij 13.1.1 (idea64.exe)
          JRE: 1.7.0_51-b13 amd64

Every 200ms, the system/log/idea.log spits out the following:
          2014-04-07 15:37:43,045 [ 226371] INFO – org.jetbrains.idea.svn.SvnVcs – Failed to get local info for . Trying to get HEAD info.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

What is displayed in “Subversion Working Copies Information” panel – are some working copies detected?

Could you please attach screenshot of your VCS roots configuration – “Version Control” project settings?

5. Philippus Baalman says:

I got it working except I can not commit changes.
    ‘compare with latest repository version’ shows differences.
    However when I try to commit PhpStorm says ‘No changes detected’.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

Differences in “Compare with latest repository version” action do not mean you have uncommitted local changes – probably some other person committed changed revision of the file to the repository and you’re not updated to the latest revision – so corresponding action show changes.

Are you sure you have files in your working copy with local changes (you could try changing some file and see if it appears as changed in “Changes” -> “Local” panel)? Does “svn status” command show these files as “modified”? Do necessary changed files appear after you manually hit “Refresh” in “Changes” -> “Local” panel?

6. David Herzog says:

I installed IntelliJ Ultimate Edition 13.1.1 on Mac OS (10.9.2). I have svn client version 1.8.1 (Subversion-1.8.1_10.8.x.pkg) that I installed almost a year ago. I have the svn client working without issue with the corresponding subclipse plugin in eclipse. When I try to checkout a project from source control in IntelliJ, when prompted for the version of SVN to use 1.8 is greyed out. If I import an existing project that I checked out via the command line I get the following error – “svn: E155021: E155021: This client is too old to work with the working copy at ‘/’ (format 31). You need to get a newer Subversion client.” I’ve downloaded IntelliJ on Windows and I am able to get it working just fine. Is this a known Mac issue? I am currently evaluating IntelliJ as a possible replacement for eclipse at our company. Many of us use Mac’s and version 1.8 of the svn client so this would prevent us from moving to IntelliJ if there is no fix.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

This is likely issue for Mac when specifying svn client by short name. Please specify full path to svn client in “Version Control” -> “Subversion” project settings.

• David Herzog says:

Are you referring to using ‘/usr/bin/svn’ instead of ‘svn’ in the ‘Use command line client’ field? I already tried that with no success. I get the same result.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

Please run “/usr/bin/svn –version” command in terminal. Does it show 1.8 version? – Likely it should show some previous version.

But I guess “svn –version” command in terminal should show 1.8 version. Please determine full path where “svn” points by running “which svn” command and specify this path in IDEA settings.

• David Herzog says:

Thanks so much for the help Konstantin. /usr/bin/svn was the default version installed on the Mac (1.7.10) and the one I installed ended up in /opt/subversion/bin/svn. All looks good now that I changed it under Preferences -> Version Control -> Subversion.

• Buffalo Rabor says:

Thank you both, following this convo and using “which svn” to locate the proper path solved the issue for me as well ~

7. Vitaliy says:

At Mac OS X Idea can’t correctly detect SVN client when it’s in PATH and “svn” specified in Idea settings. Works only after specifying full path to binary like “/opt/local/bin/svn”. Please fix this.

8. Michael Bach says:

That’s right.
    in IntelleJ running on Mac OS X you need to specify full path to SVN
    /opt/subversion/bin/svn
    it works.

9. harry says:

Hi I am new to Intellij. I was trying to checkout from svn. i am using Intellij 13 community edition and svn client 1.8 and Mac OS X
    I use the svn+shh////trunk

every time i give in my pwd it says credentials rejected by ssh server svn :E170001
    I am pretty sure my pwd is correct. would there some crazy encoding issue?
    how can i debug the same ?

10. harry says:

I have Intellij working on mac OS x and svn is version 1.8 while trying to checkout from svn over svn+ssh:// the ssh server is rejecting my credentials ; which seemed to work from command line. Is there any crazy encoding issue over here?

11. João Fernandes says:

hi, I’ve been using SVN 1.8 as described in this post, in the past couple of months but lately all kind of svn operations are taking forever. It seems it’s only related to svn because the rest of the IDE operations work as expected. Is there any way to track what might be the cause?

The only thing I remember changing was the IntelliJ cache but if it was the cause shouldn’t everything inside the IDE crawl and not just SVN integration?

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

* Please provide more details – with what svn operations do you experience performace issues (update, commit, etc.)?
      * Do you use SVNKit or command line integration? You could try switching “Use command line client” checkbox in Subversion settings to check if it helps.
      * Please try “Clear Auth Cache” in Subversion settings and check if it helps.

If options above do not help, please create corresponding issue. Reproduce the error and attach idea.log (Help->Show Log in…) and CPU Snapshot to the created issue.