Meet the PyCharm 3.1 roadmap

We’re excited to share our plans for PyCharm 3.1, the upcoming update of our cool Python IDE, to stir up some discussion and of course get your valuable feedback.

Having released PyCharm 3.0 with all its bells and whistles, especially the free and open source PyCharm Community Edition, we surprised many of you. To keep that momentum going, here is the brand new PyCharm 3.1 Roadmap.

PyCharm 3.1 is planned for release in early 2014. The roadmap is neither a finalized list of tasks to be implemented in PyCharm 3.1 nor a promise to include everything into the upcoming release. The roadmap is flexible, so we can probably add or remove something from the list. So stay tuned for further updates on this progress, new surprises and the beginning of PyCharm 3.1 Early Access Program.

The most noteworthy things from the current PyCharm 3.1 Roadmap include:

- Python 3.4 support
- Django 1.6 support
- Improvements on Google App Engine integration
- Vagrant integration improvements
- Local terminal tabs
- Performance optimizations on different subsystems

There aren’t many new or additional features on the list, but instead many improvements for existing PyCharm functionality. In planning this release we decided to focus on the quality of existing PyCharm features and performance optimizations, putting emphasis on delivering even more powerful and steady solutions for your development needs.

We really hope you’ll enjoy these new improvements coming soon in PyCharm 3.1. If you have any comments, suggestions or queries, please feel free to share them right here in our blog or post them to our Public Tracker or Discussion Forum. Also, follow us on Twitter @pycharm to stay tuned to the latest PyCharm news.

Develop with Pleasure!
PyCharm Team

About Dmitry Filippov

Product Marketing Manager at JetBrains
This entry was posted in Cool Feature, Early Access Preview. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Meet the PyCharm 3.1 roadmap

1. Any chance we’ll get an update to the IntelliJ Python plugin soon with the PyCharm3 features?

2. jakub says:

Glad to hear that +1

I think remote interpreters would deserve some love (debugging and coverage don’t work, etc.).

• traff says:

I wouldn’t say they don’t work, it’s more like they have some issues :) But I’ve got which one you’ve actually meant.

3. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Excellent news, I found PyCharm 3 to be a huge success and definitively more stable than early 2.7, but further polishing in areas like parsing and inspection false positives is very welcome.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hey, maybe there are some features that absent in PyCharm and you want them to be implemented?

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Not really :-)

I know that new features are exciting to work on, and bugfixes are not, but I personally would really appreciate more polish (less false positives, more powerful type inference, less bugs, etc.)

Actually… Yeah, I’d like to see a profiler integration, but I was told that’s not going to happen (PY-2887) and git add -p (IDEA-63201), but that’s a platform thing.

4. Xavier says:

please add support to HiDPI in Linux (no ‘retina display’), actually I have a 1080p in 14in screen and PyCharm has problems, for example, show different fonts and icons sizes, this makes it very difficult to use normally!

5. Rob says:

There is a maya support in 3.0.
    can we expect an houdini support ?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi Rob,
      what kind of the houdini support do you mean?

• Mat says:

Where can the Maya support be found? I was under the impression this was to be released in a future plugin. Has this plugin been released?

• demian says:

yea, support for Houdini will be great if we can get the libraries from Houdini, so we can auto complete the hou. classes.

• dd says:

interactive terminal,
      in pycharm going to the terminal section and typing python, get you a regular python, will be great if we get something like, using hython (the Houdini python) you get an interactive python with auto complete, i have see a lot of guys at work that instead calling python from the linux termial they actually open Houdini, and they go to the python tab, in that way when they call a class and press . will show all function that some one can use.

example in the python tab of houdini:
      node = hou.node(“/obj/geo1″) # this is a class representing a node.
      when the user type
      node.
      then it show a pop up with all the method available for that class. and as you type letter will filter the available options,
      node.set
      and will show everything that starts with set

6. Hi,
    My company has upgraded to pycharm 3.0 but we were pretty disappointed.
    We didn’t find any game changing new features (and we’re on Django), while we have serious performance problems.
    I tried working with support on these issues but no luck yet. it gets to a point that the application freezes for 30 seconds and I can’t even take a CPU snapshot.

We believe that JetBrains is the best IDE maker out there, so we really hope the fixes in the 3.1 version will be significant for us. More than everything we would like the application to have more insight about it’s own performance issues (what plugins should I turn off, are there any files that choke the interpreters, etc…).

Looking forward!

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi! It seems to be you are experiencing real performance problems.
      Let me know if support is really trying to figure out your problem? Do you get sufficient help on that?
      Is there any performance bug filed for your problem at http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/PY?

• Mike says:

I have to agree with Idan. I have tested each new PyCharm release for a while. I love the interface and what the IDE can do. But – I can’t get over the sluggish performance (on my not exactly the latest, pastest, etc. machine). For example, just to start up PyCharm takes on avg. 1’45” before I get to an interactive state. Hovering over buttons, etc. can tage up to 0.5′ before the help text appears. Great program but I can’t work with it on this machine. Incidentally, same issue when I tried IntelliJ IDEA but that’s to be expected, being the same core.
      I am replacing this machine soon and hope that will improve performance to a workable level.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Oh yeah, we are aware about this “Heavy start” problem and going to improve it in nearest future. This or next release.

7. Jean-Philippe says:

PyCharm3 is a success in my book. The only thing I find myself wishing for is some improvements to the remote interpreter. X11 forwarding support comes to mind as a specific example. Otherwise, great product.

Looking for to the 3.1 release.

8. Sean Harvell says:

Any chance for syntax awareness for Tornado in templates etc?

9. Rob van der Linde says:

Nice, unfortunately still no mention of Gerrit support?

This is one of the features I really miss and lots of people have voted for it already on Youtrack.

One of the biggest problems is when you try to do a GIT commit amend to change an existing patchset that you have already pushed up to Gerrit a bit earlier, PyCharm will strip the Gerrit commit ID so that it will create a new commit on Gerrit rather than creating a new patchset to the existing commit.

For the time being I have to use the command line to send things to Gerrit because of this, but I was really hoping to see Gerrit support added in the near future.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi! It’s going to be a platform feature request. You know if it will be done, it will affect all other IDE’s. And most probably it will appear in IntelliJ IDEA first.
      Could you send the youtrack ID for this issue?

10. Pingback: This week in Python (2013-46) - Jworks.nl - Agile Software Development using Groovy and Grails | Jworks.nl - Agile Software Development using Groovy and Grails

11. istlota says:

I have noticed more sluggishness with v3.0, which on my old and memory deprived Macbook sometimes translates to a complete computer lock up requiring a power clear. I did not open a support ticket because I know my 2007 era Macbook is seriously undernourished [it also locks up sometimes when I am streaming Hulu] and I plan to replace it with a faster model that can accept a lot more memory in a month or two.

My perception is that the sluggishness is due to all the new code inspection that PyCharm now does — which is actually a great feature and I would be devastated if JetBrains got rid of it. Once I realized what was up, I created a new inspection profile which disables most of the code inspection checks. I then use that minimal inspection profile most of time. I only switch back to the Project Default inspection profile temporarily just before running written code to find and fix any remaining errors and warnings. This works great for me and I highly recommend it for anyone else using an undernourished computer.

12. Sam G says:

Hello,
    i’m evaluating pycharm but would mainly be using it with maya, what’s the ETA for the plugin ? And would it be possible to buy the plugin and make it work with the free community version or it will only work wih a full licence ? Any price range for the plugin ?

13. Cybran says:

As soon as you release the Maya support you mentioned in your 3.0 roadmap I will buy a license :)

14. dk says:

mmm, support for side effects Houdini will be awesome.

15. James says:

any news about support for Maya? Is there some place I can find a tutorial to get setup, i’ve been all over google but most of the info is old…..

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi James,
      most of the Maya support features are already implemented and should be available in PyCharm 3.0.1. Namely it is possible to add Maya as python interpreter, remote debugger works correctly and it is possible to disconnect Maya python process from it using pydevd.stoptrace function(http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/PY-4714). The only two things that were not included are Send to Maya action and Maya run configuration – those will be included in plugin, that is planned to add to repository in January.

• James says:

looking forward to this!
        Send to Maya would be a great feature, and if we could somehow get Maya’s output in PyCharm…(#Result: )
        is that possible?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

We’ll get back to Maya integration development before the next 3.4 release I suppose, we’ll see what we can do with that.

• Mat says:

Has the Send to Maya plugin been added to the repository yet? If not, is there a new timeframe for when it should be added?

16. Joe says:

I haven’t seen it in the repository yet. Really looking forward to it though.
    Just to echo what James said, it would be amazing to get the Maya output window results to show up in Pycharm!