ReSharper 5.1.2 is Released

ReSharper 5.1.2 bugfix campaign is finally over! Please download ReSharper 5.1.2 release build (5.1.1766.4) from the official ReSharper web site. It should work well with ASP.NET MVC 3 RTM that Microsoft is releasing today.

Here’s a quick overview of fixes and improvements introduced since version 5.1.1:

• ReSharper 5.1.2 doesn’t interfere with Visual Studio IntelliSense in ASP.NET MVC 3 Razor syntax. Earlier ReSharper 5.x builds had certain issues with Razor IntelliSense that are addressed in 5.1.2. Specifically, ReSharper 5.1.2 doesn’t prevent Visual Studio from automatically providing its own IntelliSense in .cshtml and .vbhtml web pages anymore: both code completion and Parameter Info work as expected. Other than that, ReSharper 5.x doesn’t provide any additional support for Razor: only ReSharper 6 will bring full support for this view engine. Pre-release ReSharper 6 builds are currently available via Early Access Program.
  • Improved IntelliSense in Watch tool windows. The Razor IntelliSense fix has a side effect: ReSharper doesn’t anymore block Visual Studio IntelliSense from automatically popping up after dot in Watch tool windows used during debugging. This fix doesn’t yet apply to the QuickWatch dialog box though.
  • Live templates can now be saved one by one. Prior 5.x releases were able to save all live templates at once but, weirdly, weren’t saving them on Ctrl+S. Now you can save them one by one safely. Besides, saving templates doesn’t deselect them in the Template Explorer anymore (RSRP-90569).
  • Support for Test Projects (MSTest) re-targeted to .NET Framework 3.5. We have already blogged about this particular improvement.
  • A backport from ReSharper 6 allows faster processing of large files (10,000 LOC or more.)
  • ReSharper PowerToys should no longer throw exceptions that they used to throw with 5.1.1.
  • External Sources now reads PDB files in a better way.
  • Bug fixes related to referencing CoreCLR assemblies from Silverlight projects, comments in VB.NET, BizTalk projects, shortcut persistence, and references to SharpSVN.

This is a recommended upgrade, so don’t forget to download ReSharper 5.1.2 and give it a go.

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to ReSharper 5.1.2 is Released

1. Adam says:

Hi,

The download resolves to 5.1.1766.4.msi?

2. @Adam

Yes, this is correct.

3. Diego Guidi (Default) says:

the link actually is for ReSharperSetup.5.1.1766.4.msi :(

4. @Diego
    ReSharperSetup.5.1.1766.4.msi does install ReSharper 5.1.2.
    What’s wrong with this?

5. Radek says:

Donwloaded setup does install Build 5.1.1766.4 (from About dialog in VS). It is correct?

6. Adam says:

Jura,
    Unless you are being tounge in cheek… I don’t know where to start :-)
    Is not the intuitive naming of ALL things one of the basic premises of good programming practice and one of the reasons Reshaper exists?

The naming of a download would surely follow the same principle.
    If the name makes me doubt it is the right download then that shows it is the wrong name. If I had seen 5.1.2075.4.msi I would not have given it a 2nd thought.

7. @Radek
    This is correct.
    Your question has been answered twice previously. See earlier comments.

8. Richard says:

The Setup program says ReSharper 5.1. I have to agree with @Adam. JetBrains, of all companies, should be able to keep their versions straight.

9. Joe White says:

I agree with the other commenters. Your inconsistent build numbers have always been confusing. You call it “5.1.2″ in your blog posts and on your download page, but nowhere else — not in the filename for the installer, not in the assembly versions on your binaries, not even in ReSharper’s About box. Everything we see on our computers has an incomprehensible build number, and there’s no way to tie that back to “5.1.2″.

You guys might not have a problem with the inconsistency and confusion, but your customers do.

10. Great, you solved the crashing bug with a project referencing SharpSVN before I even tracked it down.

Last night I opened up one of our projects I haven’t worked in for a few months and VS would just crash. I gave up because I didn’t have the time to work out why. Just installed this update and things are working well again.

Thanks, Jono

11. Paul Kohler says:

Hey Guys,

I am a big R# fan but the first thing I thought when the 5.1.2 download was called “5.1.1766.4.msi” was that the link was wrong. I have to agree with the other guys on the versioning.

Keep up the good work by the way!

PK :-)

12. punker76 says:

hi,

after installing the new release, there are no more automatically closing tags at XAML files! What happened?

best regards

13. @punker76

Which VS version are you using?
    Can you explain in detail the steps you’re taking or provide a video showing what’s wrong?
    In my installation, auto-closing tags in XAML works fine.

14. Matt Kerr says:

Did you finally fix the bug with the missing scroll bars and unviewable areas of the .NET Type Ordering template XML text box? It is seriously annoying. Also, CTRL+A doesn’t work to Select All, and the worst offender of all is that there is no way to save your changes on this panel– you have to switch to another part of the Options tree and then click Close instead of Cancel or the X window button to actually save it.

Please give us saving of Type Ordering in the Shared Style Settings. The lack of this feature is really counter-intuitive. Getting our organization to share all of the same coding standards with R# is far harder than it should be.

15. Matt Kerr says:

I mean “Type Members Layout” (not “Type Ordering”) in the C# section. And no, it isn’t fixed yet. Please fix these problems!!

16. Sergey says:

ReSharperSetup.5.1.1766.4.msi – looks very strange for 5.1.2

17. ReSharper_User says:

Yes!!! They finally fix the bug where using the vertical-window splitter icon made the ReSharper sidebar disappear!!!

18. Jason Dove says:

Just installed 5.1.2 and lost VS parameter intellisense – type an opening parenthesis on a method and I get nothing. That’s one way to get me to switch to ReSharper intellisense ;).

19. @Jason
    Are you sure you have Tools > Options > Text Editor> All languages > Parameter information selected?

20. Really nice release! I just wait to see R# 6. Congratulation and I really enjoy that feels also a bit snappier.
    Good job!

21. Jason Dove says:

@Jura
    Thanks, that did the trick. This makes me curious, though, as the option was enabled before upgrading to 5.1.2, but then reverted to a null (mixed?) state after the upgrade.

22. @Jason
    This could very well be related to ReSharper misbehaving on settings upgrade
    We’re looking to re-write the settings engine but the schedule if still pretty vague

23. Max johns says:

had to come over here and read the comments to make sure this is the correct version,
    5.1.1766.4 is not what I would expect from version 5.1.2 (at least get the about screen to show the correct version)

24. Jacky Wang says:

I found I have a problem the same as Jason, But when I have Tools > Options > Text Editor> All languages > Parameter information selected a few minutes latter, this item will be unselect automatic.

25. NaK says:

Guys when you will fix this mega-stupid settings screen for Type Members Layout?
    Not even it is lame, but I must almost hack the resharper to use my custom patterns!
    Overall resharper is the best tool for VS but this is almost critical for me

26. MF says:

I have the exact same problem as Jacky Wang.

Parameter information gets deselected by itself after a few minuttes. I have restarted VS multiple times, doesn’t help.

Any workaround available?

27. @NaK
    Unfortunately we don’t have a specific deadline for fixing this.
    I can confirm that this is a serious usability problem but it’s currently hard to allocate resources to solve it. We’ll do it as soon as we can.
    Thanks for understanding

28. @Jacky, MF
    Does the Parameter Info check box gets deselected after you use the Solution Explorer?
    If that’s the case, the workaround is to use ReSharper’s Go to File feature to open files.
    Alternatively, if you’re not working with Razor files, you can use ReSharper IntelliSense instead of Visual Studio IntelliSense.

29. Chad says:

@Jura

I too am experiencing this issue. The workaround is not acceptable, I should be able to choose which IntelliSense I want to use!

30. MF says:

@Jura
    Yes, interacting with Solution Explorer causes the problem.
    When will this be fixed?

31. MF says:

Sorry, that was for Chad :)

32. Joe White says:

Okay, there’s a bug I would love to see a blog post about. How on earth could interacting with Solution Explorer cause parameter info to get messed up?

33. @Joe
    What on earth do you expect to read in a blog post? There’s a bug, we can reproduce it, we give workarounds and we’ll fix it in the next release.

34. Joe White says:

Yeah, but how on earth could using Solution Explorer break Parameter Info? ReSharper doesn’t even do anything with Solution Explorer (except to add context-menu items), so it’s puzzling that there could be any interaction at all. This just seems like a bug that has to have an interesting backstory.

35. @Chad
    Is the first workaround (Go to File) acceptable for you?

@MF, @Chad
    Unfortunately, at this point, we’re unable to set a schedule for the next release.
    I’m hoping to clarify this in a few weeks.

36. Chad says:

@Jura

Really?! I bought resharper to IMPROVE my productivity, not to have yet another program I need to remember workarounds for! I’m uninstalling unless I can find a copy of 5.1.1.

37. @Chad

You can find 5.1.1 and more older ReSharper versions at http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-280

38. Chad says:

@Jura

Thanks!

39. Been waiting for this for a while. Thanks for the fixes

40. K says:

I have re-sharper 5.0 installed. Can I upgrade to v 5.2? Do I just install over .. or? I looked at some information on the site .. but could not see anything about the upgrade rules. Can I just upload 5,2 and install and it will use my current license .. or do I need to pay for version 5.2 even though I have 5.0. I purchase it in April of 2010.

41. @K
    You can download version 5.1.2, and the installation wizard will remove the previous version automatically.
    Your upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1.2 is entirely free, as well as to any subsequent minor releases within the 5.x family. Upgrading to the next major version, 6, will be paid though.

42. MarkSmeltzer says:

Go To File does not work… The text editor defaults get reset every few minutes. This is literally killing me!

43. @MarkSmeltzer So you’re using Visual Studio native IntelliSense and although you’re using Go to File to open files, the Parameter Info check box gets deselected time and again?

44. @Ulrich
    RSRP-111853 is expected to be fixed for ReSharper 6
    The other one is not currently scheduled

45. Ulrich says:

@Jura: OK. Many thanks.

46. MarkSmeltzer says:

For now I have switched to using Resharper’s Intellisense, but I’ve never quite gotten to the point where I like it. For instance, I much prefer how VS’ intellisense will “remember” my previous choices based on keystroke combinations. Resharper seems to do more of a pure alpha-numeric narrowing down process.

47. @Mark
    Can you please explain in more detail how VS IntelliSense remembers your choices?
    I don’t think I can understand without a telling example :)

48. Sean Williams says:

Same as many others here, being forced to use Resharper intellisense due a bug which they have managed to introduce.

Go To File doesn’t work either it still resets the checkboxes.
    Its definitely to do with the R# intellisense as if you uncheck the boxes , then select R# as intellisense, the boxes reset

Very annoying, needs a quick fix please.

Sean

49. Chris says:

I agree with others (@Sean Williams, @Chad) re: the Go To File workaround. This is not acceptable. Essentially breaking Visual Studio with this forces me to go back to v5.1.1. I use Solution Explorer constantly and I can’t have that mucking with my core VS settings.

50. Chris says:

Scratch that last post. This appears to be a fix for a sublty different issue in 5.1.1

51. @Chris
    Thanks for the bug report!

@Chris, All
    We’ll make available a new build with a fix next week.

52. Ratheesh Vijay says:

Hi
    ReSharper 5.1.2 does not help me with ‘find all references’ with vs 2010. Even the right click and ‘Find all references’ of vs is not working after installing ReSharper. Tried Shift+F12, but it gives only 1 reference, not everything. Please help me what should I do to get it done.
    Many thanks
    Ratheesh

53. @Ratheesh
    “Find all references” is Visual Studio’s command that’s overridden with ReSharper’s “Find usages”. Please use ReSharper > Find > Find Usages instead. If you’re using ReSharper’s IntelliJ IDEA keyboard scheme (you can check this at ReSharper > Options > Environment > Visual Studio integration), then the shortcut for Find Usages would be Alt+F7.
    As to Shift+F12, is used by ReSharper as a shortcut for “Go to previous code issue in file” (ReSharper > Inspect > Previous issue in file).
    Please let me know if that helps.

54. Ratheesh Vijay says:

@Jura Thanks for the reply. I’m not using ReSharper’s IntelliJ IDEA keyboard scheme and hence no shortcut available for ReSharper > Find > Find Usages. Sometimes I got Find Usages Results window, when pressed Shift-F12. But some other occassions I got the previous code occurrence. Is that a bug? Is there any option to get mainly the “Find all references” of Visual Studio back along with other ReSharper features. Thanks Ratheesh.

55. @Ratheesh
    There’s no way to use VS native “Find all references” instead of ReSharper’s “Find usages” without disabling ReSharper.
    Your problem seems related to a shortcut reassignment issue that ReSharper is having on switching between keymaps: when you get back to Visual Studio scheme, shortcuts containing “F12″ may not be correctly remapped to ReSharper commands. To work around this, go to Tools > Options > Environment > Keyboard, search for “resharper.resharper_findusages”, and manually set a shortcut for this command to “Shift+F12″. You might also want to set “resharper.resharper_gotodeclaration” to F12.
    Please let me know if this helps.

56. Ratheesh Vijay says:

@Jura
    Thanks.. it helped me to some extent. Have a nice day..

57. Ratheesh Vijay says:

Hi,

I happen to get red color on most of my code. When mouse over the respective namspace, getting ‘Using directive is not required by the code and can be safely removed’. But in the code it shows red color and tooltips ‘can not resolve symbol’. I have build the application once again, no error getting but it still displays. Why Resharper behaves in this way? Any help would highly be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ratheesh

58. Joe White says:

@Ratheesh, we occasionally see something that sounds like what you describe. Usually it’s because ReSharper’s cached parse data for some class is corrupted. For example, if it’s showing “MyType” in red and saying it can’t find it (and also showing the “using” directive that imports MyType in gray), it means ReSharper’s cached parse data for MyType got messed up somehow.

Usually, all it takes to fix it is to open the file with MyType in it (navigating to the class with ReSharper > Navigate > Go To Type usually doesn’t work, you’ll have to use Go To File or Solution Explorer instead), make an edit that forces ReSharper to re-parse the class, and then undo that edit.

Just for good measure, my edit is usually “insert a space in the middle of the class name”, which makes MyType non-compilable. That way I’m sure to get ReSharper’s attention. I wait a few seconds for it to show red, then undo my change. ReSharper then re-parses MyType, and the files that were complaining about not being able to find MyType start working again.

59. @Ratheesh
    In addition to what Joe suggests (thanks Joe!), you might want to try deleting the SolutionName.suo file and _ReSharper.SolutionName folder. This usually helps rebuild ReSharper caches and fix resolve-related issues.

60. Ratheesh Vijay says:

Thanks @Joe and @Jura. Your suggestions were fantastic..

61. Sabir says:

Find Usages is not same as ‘Find All References’: With Find All References I was able to see the function/class/object definition point but with Find Usages, I can only see the uses not the definition in the list…

62. Sabir says:

After installing resharper, tooltips for entries in intellisence is not shown. i.e. going through the methods available in a class in intellisence box after putting dot after object does not show intellisence of any function….

63. Joe White says:

@Sabir:

1. You’re commenting on a blog post about ReSharper 5. Did you really just install ReSharper 5? You know they’re up to version 7, right?

2. “Find Usages” *does* show the definition. It’s the very first thing in the list. It does fade into the background a bit, because it’s presented at the root level rather than nested in a tree, but that’s probably deliberate: most of the time you want to pay more attention to the usages. But the definition point is there (and I’m pretty sure it was there even back in version 5).

64. @Joe
    Thanks for helping out )

@Sabir
    Regarding IntelliSense tooltips, please try going to ReSharper > Options > Environment > IntelliSense > Completion Appearance and selecting the Show summary check box. Does this help?