Drag-and-drop to Remote Hosts changes

We’ve already blogged about being able to connect to a remote server using the Remote Hosts tool window. We can drag-and-drop files and folders from our PhpStorm project to a remote FTP, FTPS, SFTP server or a local/network folder. The latest PhpStorm 7.1.1 enhances the drag-and-drop behavior to what we are used to from our operating system.

This functionality is available in IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, WebStorm, PhpStorm and RubyMine.

Connecting to a Remote Host can be done by configuring connection details through the Tools | Deployment | Configuration menu. Once connection details have been provided we can use Tools | Deployment | Browse Remote Host to browse the remote host.

Drag-and-drop in PhpStorm now behaves in the same way it works in operating systems. For example, drag-and-dropping any file from one Mac OS X Finder window to another one will move the file. When holding the Ctrl key when dropping, the file will be copied instead.

Let’s move an image from our local project to the remote server, and then copy it back by holding the Ctrl key. Note that this also changes the mouse cursor so we can see if we are moving or copying the file:

As with life, there are little things that make it valuable! Give it a chance and let us know your thoughts in the issue tracker, through the comments below or in our forums!

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains PhpStorm Team

This entry was posted in Cool Feature and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Drag-and-drop to Remote Hosts changes

1. Walter says:

You’re doing an amazing work on PhpStorm. Continue that way. My congratulations.

2. Carsten Decker says:

While talking about drag’n'drop …

… it would be so great if one could drag items from changelists out of the IDEa.

• Mikhail Vink says:

Thanks, the issue is assigned to developer, but there are no estimates on bringing that to the product. The status update will be available in the issue.

3. Denis says:

Drag-n-drop not check destination folder for existing files and overwrite it without prompting.

4. Kevin says:

This change was not needed and is really frustrating me!

5. Pingback: リモートホストとプロジェクトファイル間のファイルの移動がより直感的に | JetBrains ブログ

6. Dimitrios karvounaris says:

You wrote “Drag-and-drop in PhpStorm now behaves in the same way it works in operating systems. ”

That’s not true!

In Windows, if you drag and drop a file, it will either move or copy, depending on the destination. For remote locations or even different drives files are ALWAYS copied, never moved. Only if files are dragged within the same drive, they are moved.

And that’s how it should be, since once usually wants to have them on both destinations, when transferring them between different storages.

PHPStorm’s always-move behaviour is the opposite than other software and causes trouble.

7. Karl says:

Can you please explain to me what kind of insane workflow I would need to have to EVER want to delete a file locally when deploying to a remote server?
    This is the most insane change I have ever seen to an IDE.
    My trial period is expiring and I was going to purchase PHPStorm. Unfortunately I cannot do that while this madness is unresolved. It just cramps my workflow way too much. As well as potentially causing serious errors when I accidentally forget to hold CTRL (which is almost every time).

8. Carlos Abreu says:

Sent me into a panic when I noticed that it was moving instead of copying, taking a site I was working on down in the process. Luckily I was able to move it all back to the remote server using FileZilla and also to get the local copy I was looking for. My suggestion is that it defaults to copy which is less destructive and then maybe when defining a new FTP host, make it an option to either copy or move by default, with the Ctrl key being the override for either.

9. Marnick says:

I had exactly the same problem, destroyed a live website without knowing it, I was expecting FTP behavior. Would love to switch the behavior around, so using Ctrl or Alt to move, and copy by default. Or give the choice in Preferences somewhere. Or at least a warning the first time you drag something.

10. Sven K. says:

Where can I disable this stupid behavior???
    I’ve never seen any ftp-client acting like this!!!
    I will ALWAYS forget, to press the Ctrl-key!!!!!
    This is really dangerous!!

11. Ruud says:

Is there already a real solution to this (mis)behavior of PHPStorm? I can’t get used to it, so at least make a hot fix for 7.x where we can selected the behavior of the drag-and-drop functionality.