[Webinar Recording] Refactoring Legacy Code with PhpStorm
The recording of our January 28th webinar featuring Mathias Verraes and Mikhail Vink, Refactoring Legacy Code with PhpStorm, is now available on JetBrains YouTube Channel.
In this webinar, Mathias starts from a piece of code that is messy and uncovered by tests. Using PhpStorm’s automated refactoring tools, the code is gradually cleaned up, moved around, and brought under test. What emerges is a cleaner, more expressive domain model. This webinar is geared towards developers of different proficiency.
Books recommended by Mathias during the webinar:
Books not mentioned during the webinar, but also recommended by Mathias:
- Joshua Kerievsky, Refactoring to Patterns
- Steve Freeman & Nat Pryce, Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
The most important hotkeys used during the webinar:
- Generate… (e.g. Generate PHPDoc Block) – Cmd-N on Mac OS X, Alt + Insert on Windows/Linux;
- Highlight code coverage results in the editor – Alt-Cmd-F6 on Mac OS X, Ctrl+Alt+F6 on Windows/Linux. Or choose Tools | Show Code Coverage Data;
- Refactor This – Ctrl-T on Mac OS X, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T on Windows/Linux. Or choose Refactor | Refactor This;
- Move to previous/next word in the editor – Alt-Left/Right (hold Shift for selection).
Please see a full PhpStorm keyboard reference.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
PhpStorm Overview 2022
Do you want to get to know PhpStorm? Maybe you have a colleague or friend who wants to know why you love this IDE? We’ve made a five-minute video about PhpStorm for you. We’ll highlight some of its core features: a to-the-point summary of why PhpStorm is a great choice for all PHP developers out the…
New Video: What’s New in PHP 8.1
PHP 8.1 is out, and it’s packed with lots of awesome new features. But don’t just take our word for it – watch the video, where Brent Roose, the PHP community members, and the authors of these features, Nikita Popov, Larry Garfield, Dmitry Stogov, Matthieu Napoli, and Aaron Piotrowski, explain them.…
New Video Series: Refactoring With PhpStorm by Matthew Setter
We’ve collaborated with PHP engineer and technical trainer Matthew Setter to bring you a 7-part video series showing how to systematically improve the quality of your code using PhpStorm’s refactoring functionality. Check out the first two episodes! What you are going to learn In this series Matt…
Video: What’s Coming in PhpStorm 2021.1 – Episode 2
The main focus for this upcoming release is stability, but it still includes some new features and improvements. In this video, we’ll look at support for prefixed table names in SQL in action, synthetic scope renaming, new inspections, and other updates. A new PhpStorm EAP cycle is going to be clos…