Meet PyCharm 3.0 EAP

After several months since we published PyCharm 2.7 release and  a week after the last PyCharm 2.7.3 update, we are so eager to announce the beginning of PyCharm 3.0 Early Access Program. The first 3.0 EAP build, 130.1058, is already available for download.

We are so happy to deliver this fresh build of our Python IDE with a ton of new functionality and features to be considered and tested! The new PyCharm 3.0 version is focused on providing even more intelligence for third-party libraries and is planned for release in autumn. The first PyCharm 3.0 EAP build contains many features planned for the final 3.0 release – though there’s a few more things planned.

Here’s what’s new and noteworthy in this build:

• web2py web framework is now supported:

Just a couple of clicks and PyCharm will do the rest for you:

• SQLAlchemy support: Yes, we’ve already introduced SQLAlchemy diagrams support in PyCharm 2.7, but in this build SQLAlchemy support is improved with code insight and other bells and whistles.
  • New “Invert boolean” and “Replace duplicates in Extract Method” refactorings are now available:

• A couple of new intentions:

• A lot of new hidden, but so essential code inspections with suggestions and even smarter code insight for Python.

Visit our PyCharm 3.0 Roadmap page for more information. Download first PyCharm 3.0 EAP build for your platform from PyCharm EAP page and please report any bugs and feature request to our Issue Tracker. Note that no patch-based update is available for this build.

Develop with pleasure!
-PyCharm Team

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Meet PyCharm 3.0 EAP

1. Emepe says:

I already hace EAP updates enabled and the last version available (and already installed) using “Check updates” is 2.7.3, can I upgrade to this version using updates or I need to download and run the installer? In that case, the 3.0 EAP version can be installed in the same machine with a previous version?

Regards

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hi, there is no way to upgrade your current version of PyCharm to 3.0 EAP with patch. But, sure you can install 3.0 EAP separately on the same machine. It wont affect your current version. Just be sure to install it into different location.

2. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

PyCharm 2.7.3 has just gotten quite stable and now I will have to resist the temptation to try 3.0 before the first 3.0.x release… Sigh :)

3. Alex says:

very nice!
    can you tell me how to create a PyCharm project for an existing web2py project? (I’m new to PyCharm) I created a new project and selected my local web2py dir, but this copied the whole web2py dir. I’d like to work on the existing files of an application and not a copy of them.

• Ekaterina says:

Hi Alex,

just do File->Open Directory and select your web2py project directory.

• Alex says:

thanks. I knew that option, this makes it possible to edit my source code. But almost everything in my code is an unresolved reference. And I cannot run/debug my application. When I open “Run – Edit Configurations” I’d like to configure my web2py server but I don’t know how. Should I use the “Django server” setup? I assume a web2py configuration is missing here since it’s not the final PyCharm release?

4. John Rhodes says:

What do you mean by embedded local terminal?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Hey John! Currently we have only SSH terminal embedded into PyCharm. You can find it in Tools | Run SSH terminal. Its cool feature but it works only for remote machines. WE are going to implement Local terminal now… So like a shell terminal inside IDE. YOu will be able to run your shell comands without leaving IDE. Thats it is.

• John Rhodes says:

I officially love you guys. This is something that I’ve wanted for eons. Its like you can read my mind, is there any way I can just buy 3.0 right now? I am a student, so I am not all that rich, so a student discount would be appreciated.

I just want it right now, I can’t wait. There are just too many awesome features here.

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Will the local terminal now finally support CTRL+C and such?

5. Nicholas Stevenson says:

Did any of the Maya additions make it in to the EAP?
    It looks like the ‘Send to Maya Action’ and a custom MayaPy have been completed in the task list, just curious if they are simply undocumented in the current release.

thanks!

• Dmitry Filippov says:

We have implemented SOME Maya functionality in this first EAP. You are right it is undocumented yet. Stay tuned and we will announce some other Maya integration stuff soon.

6. Jeroen says:

The theme looks great! What is it’s name or where can I get it?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

The IDE theme is Darcula… But i have changed Editor appearance. Go to settings. IDE settings | Editor | Colors & Fonts and choose “Monokai” it is already bundled with PyCharm. Hope it works for you!

7. Pingback: EuroPython 2013 Winners of PyCharm License Raffle | JetBrains PyCharm Blog

8. Gilles Lenfant says:

What will be the license transfer policy for the ones who already got a valid license for Pycharm 2.7 ?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Your PyCharm license entitles you to the perpetual use of the licensed PyCharm version. Additionally, your PyCharm license includes the initial 1-year upgrade subscription qualifying you for the receipt of the new product releases and technical support (available via email only) free of charge. To stay current with the new product releases and to continue receiving technical support, you should renew your upgrade subscription annually.

grabbed from here: http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/buy/buy.jsp#personal

So, if you already have a valid license you’ll just update to the new release version once it appeared.

9. Dastan Kozhomuratov says:

Hello, guys!

Last week I’ve installed the eap version of Pycharm, particularly this version pycharm-130.1058.tar.gz . So, today I wanted to launch pycharm, it gave me suggestion saying “This build of Pycharm has expired. Please download a new build from http://eap.jetbrains.com/pycharm/“. But when I go to download page, I see the same version which I have installed.

10. WOW, PyCharm 3.0 EAP 130.1451 really looks great.
    That “language injection” feature gives a great boost in handling database code!

One current challenge: I cannot move the SQL-console to recognize parameters in my SQL code. No matter if using Oracle with :parametername or psycopg2 with ?-style or using python style … SQL console recognizes that parameters are present, but gives no option to fill in values for them (nor lists their names)

again… that “inject language”, in addition to “run query in console” is a WONDERFULL helper to develop database applications. Makes a great IDE even better.

Harald

11. Alkim Gozen says:

How about djnago-nonrel framework support ?