JetBrains Research Labs Quarterly Report

Hi everyone!

Can you believe 2013 is ¼ done already? We’ve been busy though, and not merely to update our existing products. Let me bring you up to speed on some of our latest research.

Augmented Reality in Coders’ Daily Lives

Do you wonder why augmented reality is still so embryo? We do too… But we also feel that our colleagues at Google are on the right track with Glass. Shouldn’t we, as developers, be some of the first to bring augmented reality to life? Coding is no doubt a big part of our lives, so let’s see how it can be of real value to us, shall we?
See the future that is not so far away.

Green Coding

Did you know every bit and byte you use increases humanity’s carbon footprint, leads to more rainforests being cut down and faster ozone depletion? Well, we won’t stand for that. With your help, JetBrains will do its part in mitigating this global problem.
Send us your unused source code, audio, video, images, documents and any other files you no longer need so we we’ll recycle them into our new product releases. Help us save the environment!

C++ Deserves a Great IDE

ReSharper team has always fought with CLR performance. Finally they decided it’s time to re-write ReSharper totally in С++. Then we realized that, to do this efficiently and effectively, first we’ll need an IntelliJ-based C++ IDE.
In the meantime we also checked out the programming languages Top 10. Apparently, quite a few C/C++ developers out there still aren’t feeling the pleasure of using IDEs from JetBrains.
As a result, we plan to kill two birds with one stone, by taking AppCode’s existing support of C/C++ and building a new product. Check out what we have in mind.

News Readers Could Do Better

We understand how you feel about Google Reader being shut down.
We feel the same. But hey, maybe it’s all for the better? Seems times are finally changing! And we know what news reader we’d like to use. See if you’re with us.

That’s it for today. Stay tuned, we often have exciting news to share.

Develop with pleasure!

This entry was posted in Behind-the-scenes, News. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to JetBrains Research Labs Quarterly Report

1. Mehran says:

There are a lot of good free IDEs for C\C++ out there, but you have proved, you are able to make people pay for a commercial one!

I don’t think I will be learning neither C nor C++ anytime soon, but it’s still pleasant to know there’s an extraordinary IDE available if I ever wanted to start.

2. Jörgen s says:

Too bad this is an April’s fools write up, because I’d love a good C++ IDE! You’re toying with my emotions… ;-P

3. The prospect of a new C/C++ ide -and especially from JetBrains- gives me an overall feeling of excitement. I really love every JetBrains ide and use most of them. C++ has undergone quite a language shift come C++11, and indeed, it deserves a good ide. There already are some first class ide’s around, such as C++Builder and yes… Xcode. Complementing this port folio with an ide from JetBraind would make my life so much easier.

• Eugene Toporov says:

Thanks for your kind words, Jennifer!

• Am I right to understand that this is considered a hoax now, Eugene? Man, that would be such a bummer. Please correct me. I just thought this was in sync with JetBrains’ ambition to provide top-notch ide’s for today’s leading programming languages.

4. Angus Thomsen says:

Will this mean there will be an offical jetbrains C++ plugin for Intellij?

5. Nga⁴ says:

I’ve bought IDEA Professional licenses every year for a few years now just for the Java/Ruby/Python support despite most of my time being spent in C. Official support for C/C++ in Unix would be like suddenly obtaining super powers. I’d happy pay for, recommend and support this year after year.

6. Joe White says:

You’re missing an important feature in your Glass support: a decompiler. As the old saying goes, “Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.” Then add ReSharper’s code navigation capabilities… quick-fixes… code generation… heck, all that’d be left would be for someone to hack into reality’s version control (and add some long-overdue continuous integration!).

7. Thor Adam says:

A C++ plugin would make my life complete.

8. Marty says:

What about Go language? Is there any support go?

9. Pingback: C++ IDE: an April Fools’ Day joke? | JetBrains AppCode Blog

10. Jason Kratz says:

If only this were funny. You *had* an RSS reader….Omea and dumped the product. I loved that app.

11. Iso says:

I got overly excited since Twitter spammed me about this on the 2nd. Then I realized it was posted on the Apr 1st :(

12. Pingback: JetBrainsのC++ IDE – 今後の計画やプライベートプレビュー版について | JetBrains ブログ