JetBrains Day @ FooCafé Recap, Announcements and Videos

JetBrains Day @ FooCafé in Malmö, Sweden took place Saturday, September 7th, 2013 and we are pleased to say that the event was a success!

JetBrains Day

Event participants on location and those watching the broadcast live learned that the company is experiencing continued annual growth of 40% with more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide regularly using JetBrains tools including some 64,000 business customers, many of which are Fortune 500 companies.

They were also the first to learn about the …

New projects announced at JetBrains Day:

• A technology called Nitra (@nitra) which is a language workbench using Nemerle;
  • OSS version control we have been working on. Think Continuous Version Control;
  • Upsource platform we are working on which includes browsing of source with navigation, code analysis, etc;
  • And more details on the upcoming JetBrains C++ IDE.

We plan to post more information on some of these projects in the coming weeks. For now though, you can experience JetBrains Day for yourself by watching our keynote address and the other sessions from our two tracks. Also, at the bottom we share some photographs.

JetBrains Day Mixup (Keynote)

Unfortunately, during the keynote presentation the live feed was temporarily lost (about 1 minute) resulting in a problem with the recording too. Please be patient as the video and audio do return. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Track 1: Main Track

What's Going on in ReSharperWhat’s Going on in ReSharper
Take a dive into the latest with ReSharper, including some of the new features, see what we have in store in upcoming versions, and discover how ReSharper can also help with C++ development.

Extending ReSharperExtending ReSharper
Learn about the full capabilities of ReSharper’s platform API. Not only can you create plugins for ReSharper, but you can also extend the ways it does static analysis and create refactorings of your own.

YouTrack: More Than an Issue TrackerYouTrack: Not Just an Issue Tracker
You only really understand the true power of YouTrack once you realize the potential of YouTrack Workflows. This talk doesn’t show you what YouTrack is. It shows you how to bend and twist it for every purpose imaginable.

TeamCity from the TrenchesTeamCity from the Trenches
We dogfood all our products. In fact, many, if not all, have originated from need. And when it comes to TeamCity we really beat it up. Learn how we’re running over 180 agents in-house and how we manage deployments.

From Renamer Plugin to Polyglot IDEFrom Renamer Plugin to Polyglot IDE
We spent the last decade developing and enhancing the IntelliJ Platform, which originated from a simple plugin to rename variables. Learn how we use our own tools to maintain code over time.

Track 2: Mobile Development

Using Kotlin to Simplify Android DevelopmentUsing Kotlin to Simplify Android Development
Kotlin can help reduce the amount of code you need to write for Android applications, make it readable and more maintainable. See how certain constructs and DSLs can be used to make Android more enjoyable.

RubyMotion
Love Ruby? Want to develop applications in Ruby for iPhone? Then learn how RubyMotion and RubyMine can help you do that, from the hands of Dennis Ushakov, RubyMine lead and RubyMotion developer.

Objective-C Coding. 85 lvlObjective-C Coding. 85 lvl
What is AppCode? Is it the silver bullet for developing outstanding iOS and Mac apps? Does it make myself better developer? Why do you even bother learning one more IDE when there is Xcode? Let’s find out.

Photographs

Enjoy the photographs below. If you are still looking for more, please visit JetBrains Google+ and Facebook pages.

JetBrains Day

We look forward to the opportunity to meet you at the next JetBrains Day!

This entry was posted in Events, News, Partners, Video and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to JetBrains Day @ FooCafé Recap, Announcements and Videos

1. Igor Kolomiets says:

C++ is another non-JVM language to be supported by IDEA. Great!

Now it really begs the question – any plans to support some functional languages (and I don’t mean Scala – which support in IDEA is fantastic)? These seem to be one of the hottest topics in tech righ now. Clojure, Haskell, Erlang?

2. Hadi Hariri says:

@Igor,

We already have plugins for all those languages you mention. Please check http://plugins.jetbrains.com

• Igor Kolomiets says:

OMG – I had no clue – thanks for letting me know. Offical support would still be a great thing :)

Tip for JetBrains marketing team: you should invent better ways of spreading information about available plugins for IDEA.

• Luke Imhoff says:

You have Erlang, any plans for Elixir?

3. Dmitri Snytkine says:

Will you have an event like this in the US soon?

4. Dmitry Jemerov says:

@Igor, the C++ IDE is a separate product. We haven’t made any announcements regarding C++ support in IntelliJ IDEA.

• Owen Nelson says:

@Dimitry but omg C++ support in IntelliJ would be *awesome*. I hope we get there. The 3rd party plugin in the repo is barely usable.

• Matt says:

Yes, please please PLEASE add the C++ support to IntelliJ :)

It would be amazing if we could transparently switch languages/contexts within the same IDE and not having to go back and forth. AppCode too (Obj-C support), would he amazing! :)

• Matt says:

Our requirements at Disney are to work simultaneously in Android, Android/NDK, Flash AS3/AIR, and iOS/ObjC. To do this we’ve resorted to a combo of Eclipse, FlashBuilder plugin, and Xcode. Would be great to tie them all together in an IDE that doesn’t suck *cough Eclipse*.

• Hongya Cui says:

Cpp support in IDEA is so important!!
      we are all expecting this.

5. Chris says:

That’s great, but I still cannot get Blade syntax to highlight to work :-/

6. Pretty keen to get my hands on that C++ IDE! I expect you’ll experience a lot of interest from the game development sector; where cross-platform and C++ are the norm.

7. Kieran says:

I too am pretty keen to get the C++ IDE.

8. Chris Johnson says:

At my current job, my primary development is in C++ and PHP. I use JetBrain’s PhpStorm for PHP and I LOVE IT! (I am forced to use a different, lesser and clumsy IDE for C++.) I am so glad to hear that JetBrains is working on a C++ IDE.

Need any beta testers? :-)

• Robert Demmer says:

@Chris, as soon as something is open we will make an announcement to let you know. Please keep and eye on our blog, @jetbrains and our newsletter. Thank you for your interest.

9. Andrew Harwood says:

Really excited for the C++ IDE! Will this be compatible with Cocos2d-x for android/iOS development?

10. Pingback: Upsource: A Platform | JetBrains Company Blog

11. Pingback: Meet JetBrains at JavaOne: What’s New and in the Pipeline | JetBrains Company Blog

12. Andrea Fease says:

I really wish you would do a PERL IDE. My previous position I used IntelliJ for Java development, but now my world is in PERL. I find the current PERL IDEs either very lacking in features, or too expensive.

Please consider doing a PERL IDE :) !

13. Dzafar Sadik says:

Comming from Java platform to C++ I might say that it is lacking in few very important things:
    a. great IDE like Intellij Idea
    b. good build system as maven or gradle
    c. virtual machine – for development to easily detect memory leaks and allow hot swapping

Please, let me know if I’m not aware of something :)

14. Pingback: Upsource: новая платформа от JetBrains | Malanris's site

15. Tomas says:

I am happy like kid. JetBrains C++ IDE! Wish it will be now relased. Also on Linux.

16. Somebody says:

When will the public release be available? (both beta and final release)

• Robert Demmer says:

I’m guessing that you mean our upcoming C++ IDE. No official dates have been announced just yet. Please stay tuned for further updates. We will share more information when it becomes available.

• Somebody says:

Will it be available till end of the year? Also I have two other questions: first will it be free or at least have a community edition like intellij or come at a cost like appcode and second is will you support clang or just gcc?

• Robert Demmer says:

By the end of the year we hope to provide a first public preview release. The C++ IDE will be a standalone product such as AppCode and the pricing is not yet available. Both clang and gcc will be supported.

17. me says:

is it based on intellij and will it have the same features like intellij?

18. unwilling C++ coder says:

I cannot tell you how much the world needs a good C++ IDE.
    Please please, let us have something soon. Even if it doesn’t work, it would already be better than what’s out there :)

19. adverick says:

I can’t wait for your C++ Linux IDE !

20. Pingback: An Introduction to Nitra | JetBrains Company Blog

21. Ed Burnette says:

As a long time Eclipse user (even wrote a book on it) I’d like to try the C++ IDE for regular C development on Windows and Linux, and for C/C++ development on Android with the NDK (from Windows and Mac hosts). I already signed up for the email notice.

Two questions: For debugging will it integrate with lldb and/or gdb? And for debugging Android will it do something Eclipse never did but everybody always wanted, which was to seamlessly debug (step into/ traceback) across the JNI boundary from Java into C and back?

22. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a number of
    websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.

I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?

Any help would be really appreciated!