ReSharper 3.0 EAP in Action: VB.NET Support

While C# tends to get all the attention in the .NET world, Visual Basic .NET remains a popular language for many developers.

People familiar with Visual Basic.NET know that it is a *very* wordy language. There ends up being a lot more typing involved when writing your code than in most other languages, such as in C#.

The upcoming 3.0 version of ReSharper includes a number features for Visual Basic.NET developers that will allow them to speed up their development by automatically generating code for many of their most common tasks.

Check out this screencast (my first, please be gentle!) to see ReSharper’s VB.NET code generation features in action! If you want to test these features out yourself, why not download the ReSharper 3.0 EAP for FREE?

VB.NET in ReSharper 3.0

Click thumbnail to start screencast (Aprox. 5 mins.)

This entry was posted in ReSharper Tips&Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to ReSharper 3.0 EAP in Action: VB.NET Support

1. Stephen says:

what’s happening w/ the C# IDE? I thought this would be in place of Resharper 3.0?

2. dstennett says:

Stephen:

In short, the C# IDE has been on hold for some time now … please see further discussion at:

David Stennett
    Team JetBrains

3. visual stdio.net 2003을 install and .jetBranis ReSharper install
    next errror content

Cannot locate Microsft Visual Studio.Net 2003. This software
    is required in order to install ReSharper

what error
    how configrations

4. How the toe to do the environment setting up.
    We did menu.
    A next and error content

Cannot locate Microsft Visual Studio.Net 2003. This software
    is required in order to install ReSharper

5. Nick Parker says:

Any potential time frame for the 3.0 release based on your current standing?

6. dstennett says:

Nick — RS 3.0 will be out mid-June 2007 …. you’re almost there. You can download the Beta in the meantime at:

Best…

7. Giorgio Galante says:

Personally, I think it’s obsurd that folks that purchased Resharper 2.5 prior to April 2007 (such as myself, purchasing v2.5 in January) have to pay for the “upgrade.” 2.5.X is so buggy (it throws exceptions every 2-3 hours) and the beta of 3.0 is certainly no more stable than 2.5, I won’t be paying for it. Let alone the fact that 3.0 simply adds VB.NET support (be honest, there are hardly any noticeable updates in the C# space – certainly not worth paying for an upgrade.)

Good luck, I”ve just spent my money on DevExpress’s toolset (Refactor! & CodeRush) to replace Resharper – and at least I get a 1 year maintenance with that.

-Giorgio

P.S. Your CAPTCHA solution for posting entries is buggy and eats the content/body field when the user mangles the code.

8. Obfuscator says:

Hi Giorgio,

We are sorry to hear you are having problems with ReSharper. If you have posted any requests at our bug tracker, http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/RSRP, what are their numbers? Many bugs are fixed ASAP, so we would suggest that you wait for ReSharper 2.5.3, which will be out soon.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by paying for ReSharper 3.0 Beta. Obviously, beta quality is not on the same level as an RTM release, and we’ve never attempted to charge anyone for our Beta versions.

As far as upgrading, there are plenty of enhancements and new features for C#, including improved code analysis (code suggestions) and new productivity instruments (Go to Symbol, To-do list, and more). Please keep in mind that if you are not interested in Visual Basic, you will be able to purchase a separate C# Edition. Likewise, those who only work with VB.NET will be able to use a separate VB.NET Edition – at a fraction of the full price.

Thanks,
    Obfuscator.

9. Thom says:

I too am very disappointed that the licence I purchased in January is now effectively useless and will be charged as much as I paid in the first place if I want the latest features and support. Given the terrible state of early 2.5 builds and the time I spent submitting bug reports that went towards the much more stable 2.5.3 I feel let down and angry. Time to evaluate CodeRush methinks…