Developing AIR Applications with Maia

Developing AIR applications with Maia is easy. Basically all you need is to add an AIR SDK:

Then, select AIR SDK at New Flex Module Wizard step. You can also select an option to automatically create AIR application and descriptor:

If you skip creating descriptor at this moment, or just need an extra one, open the Tools menu, selecting Flex and clicking Create AIR Application Descriptor.

Remember that you can enable AIR support in an existing Flex module or facet at any time by just changing its SDK. Default SDK compiler configuration file is also automatically switched from flex-config.xml to air-config.xml. Here’s screenshot for Flex facet (the same is true for Flex module, the only exception is that SDK is selected at Dependencies tab):

To run or debug an AIR application select a respective option in the Flex run configuration settings:

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Developing AIR Applications with Maia

1. Steve McLeod says:

In the screenshot of adding an Air SDK, I noticed a “Mac OS X SDK” listed. This has siezed my curiosity. I’ve downloaded Maia but I don’t see the option on my local installation.

I’d love to hear more about what this feature will be.

2. Dzmitry says:

Hmmm … “MacOS X SDK” … Do you work on XCode competitor :) ?

3. AlexanderD says:

That’s a glimpse of something we’re working on but aren’t ready to announce just yet. :)

4. Steve McLeod says:

Please please please by an XCode competitor! I dream of having IntelliJ goodness when doing Objective-C!

5. MartynR says:

I’m getting an error with build #10322 when trying to add my AIR SDK:
    “The selected directory is not a valid home for AIR SDK”
    I’ve installed my SDK in C:air & have tried using this directory or C:airbin, where adl.exe. & adt.bat sit, but to no avail.
    Do you have any ideas, or has anyone else come across this?
    Thanks

6. AlexanderD says:

The point is that ‘AIR SDK’ that you have installed on your computer is only a subset of what is called ‘Flex SDK’ and it doesn’t contain some important parts like compiler, configuration files and swc libraries.
    What you need to have to develop AIR applications is a Flex SDK (which contains all AIR related stuff as well). Please install it and select as AIR SDK home in IDEA.

7. AlexanderD says:

In other words, ‘AIR SDK’ in IntelliJ IDEA means ‘Flex SDK for AIR development’.

8. Suresh says:

Is there a way to change the directory from which the air application is launched , I see that it is currently always being launched from the project root. I work in a multi module environment and would idealy like do something like

adl bldCM-app.xml bld

9. AlexanderD says:

To Suresh: will be done soon. Issue already created: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-36354

10. Nick Collins says:

Any possibility of having code completion for the AIR Application descriptor, similar to what we have with Spring config files?

11. Alexander Doroshko says:

To Nick:
    Completion of what tag values to you expect to have? It seems that the only element that is worth completion is <content/> that contains relative path to swf file. Though it can be easily selected using action Tools | Flex | Create AIR Application Descriptor.

12. I’m currently considering switching to IDEA to develop AIR/Flex applications.
    Like MartinR, I get the same error message when trying to specify the location of my AIR SDK: “The selected directory is not a valid home for AIR SDK”.
    I just installed the following releases:
    - IDEA 9.0 beta (build# 90.193)
    - Adobe Flex 4 SDK
    - Adobe AIR 2 SDK (simply unzipped it at the root folder of the Flex SDK)
    Maybe IDEA does not support these recent SDKs from Adobe?

13. Sorry, I found the problem. On Mac OS X, my Adobe SDKs were under the /Applications directory. I moved it into my home dir and it’s OK. Sorry again, and thank you for your great tools.

14. Followup… I’m now getting the “Cannot resolve symbol: mx:WindowedApplication” when trying to compile the generated “Hello World” application. Any idea? I also posted this question on http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/message/5250339#5250339.

15. Alexander Doroshko says:

The answer is in the forum thread:
    Please post new questions in the forum in case of any more problems.