C++ IDE: an April Fools’ Day joke?

Hey guys!

We hope you enjoyed our yesterday’s April Fools’ announcement and didn’t get your hopes too high about us creating a replacement for Google Reader. However, one of the things written there is actually true – we do have plans to create an IntelliJ-based C++ IDE at some point. The listed features are pretty close to what we have in mind, and you can notice that some of them are already implemented and ready to use in AppCode.

As the work is in progress, you can subscribe to get the latest news at the bottom of the features page and follow the AppCode blog to stay up to date.

UPDATE: ReSharper team is also working on introducing C++ support. You can find more details in ReSharper blog.

Stay tuned!

The AppCode Team

This entry was posted in Announcement. Bookmark the permalink.

96 Responses to C++ IDE: an April Fools’ Day joke?

1. Tommy says:

One of the best JetBrains news in years (C++ IDE part of it)… Though you might want to correct the typo on the AppCode page, it is spelled: Doxygen (not Doxigen) :)

2. Jason Lotito says:

Well, this is just damn skippy. Is the plan to build the C++ editor into AppCode, or as a different IDE all together?

3. SuperVasya says:

Awesome. Will it be possible to extend IntelliJ IDEA with C++ plugin, like it realised with PHP, Ruby, and Python (i.e. no need for separate IDE, if you already have IDEA)?

4. Chris says:

Wow, this is great news. Is there any estimate as to when this will be available? I’d love to be able to use IntelliJ instead of Visual Studio.

5. Dmitriy says:

Thanks guys! I can’t wait to have it! =)

6. ta.speot.is says:

Would love to see ReSharper-like functionality for C++, but I don’t know if I’d be able to leave Visual Studio for C++ development any time soon. An app I help maintain uses MFC, and that only comes with the paid editions of VS. Concievably one could pay for VS and this new IDE, but without some support for MFC it might get quite cumbersome (I’m thinking of having to use VS for its dialog designer) to use them in concert.

So would there be any plan to bring the C++ refactoring and code analysis to Visual Studio? Like a JetBrains RePlusPlus-er.

7. Henry Miller says:

We desperately need a better C++ IDE. Just a few days before this a group of us approached management about getting some money put to updating our current ide (qt creator), then one of our Java developers sent us this and got everyone all excited. We develop on linux (I don’t know what the Java side does).

8. Andrew says:

Ooo! Does this mean that Arduino will finally have a respectable IDE?

9. Chris says:

This is amazing! Please consider adding support for remote build/debug. Netbeans CDT has this and it is a huge productivity boost for embedded development.

10. virus says:

Please make free version of this IDE just like you’ve done for IDEA. Please please please

11. Lilian says:

Wow, that’s really some great news.
    Using libc++ – that makes it even more awesome.
    You could implement live code recompilation like this IDE implemented it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imkVkRg-geI for example.

12. آرش says:

As you know, for C++ IDEs in linux and unix, Clang is better than GCC. because Clang has better integration with IDEs.
    so what is your plan, are you just supporting Clang in unix based OS?

13. Nenad says:

Perfect! We NEED a great C++ IDE now!

14. Steve says:

I can’t wait! I’m a die-hard IntelliJ user for both Java and Python development, but the third leg of my tripod, C++ development, is lacking.

My C++ path has been from Windoze (VS blew everything else away at the time), to Linux (where Eclipse has been the least sucky solution IMO), to now Mac, where XCode drives me #$$#@ nuts. XCode is slick, but there are things I really hate about it. I’ve longed for years for the IDEA experience for C++. My $ are practically in the mail already :) Please work fast!

Since I am on a Mac, how valuable will AppCode be to me? It sounds to me like it will just frustrate me, as it will look like an IntelliJ product, but won’t give me any of the coding help that I’m used to. Even so, if its windowing system acts like IDEA and not XCode, that might be enough reason to switch right there. But if it doesn’t even have basic navigation aids, like clicking on a method name to go to its implementation, or being able to type a class name to navigate to, I bet I’m better of sticking with Xcode.

15. Steve says:

Or maybe the C++ plugin for IDEA is what I should go with?

16. likebean says:

Very perfect!any release plan of the c ide ?

17. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEAとAndroid StudioのFAQ | サムライズム #Samuraism

18. Kenneth Troldal Balslev says:

This is great news, indeed! I’m a big fan of the JetBrains IDEs

There are not many good C++ IDEs available, unfortunately. In my experience, many of the IDE’s have trouble with C++11. For example, code completion for dereferencing of std::shared_ptr seems to be a big problem.
    I’m working on Mac OS X and using AppCode. Even though AppCode is for OS X and Objective-C, the support for C++11 is excellent, which means that it is now my main IDE for C++ on OS X.
    I’m looking forward to the new C++ IDE, especially integration of Boost, Doxygen and CppUnit.

One question:
    AppCode uses XCodes project format, but will it be possible to import XCode projects from the new C++ IDE?

/Kenneth

• Anton Makeev says:

We have no detailed information about project formats for C++ IDE yet, though it is very unlikely it will directly import Xcode projects – that is what AppCode does.

• Rich Eakin says:

I for one would really appreciate this feature of AppCode in your C++ IDE, or even better in the C++ plugin for IntelliJ. I develop alot of cross platform code and it’s a pain to have 3 (or more) IDE’s open to do it. If it is about cost, I would happily pay for this feature.

Thanks for all the hard work, JetBrains!

19. Bill K says:

There will no doubt be many competing requests, but just for the record my request would be for the IDE to have integration with the Qt framework. Qt Creator is not so bad, but IDEA is definitely a step above and I would not be trying to retrain my “muscle memory” for editing shortcuts as I move between platforms if JetBrains came out with a C++ IDE. Looking forward to it…

• Michael says:

Supporting Qt (5.0 and above) would be marvelous. It will turn the new IDE into a C++ powerhouse with unlimited possibilities – when combined with Jetbrains’ IDE awesomeness.
      Benefits:
      1. Wide cross-platform coverage including Linux, Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.
      2. Excellent, well-supported and fast-developing C++ GUI framework.
      3. Embedded Webkit and (soon) Blink/Chromium.
      4. Networking (and other) classes that will enable fast development of connectivity to back-ends.

20. greatvote says:

That’s a good news! Are you going to support popular C++ frameworks (like Qt) in the new IDE?

21. Curtis Gehman says:

Very much looking forward to this.
    Feature request: Perforce integration. Pretty please!

• Anton Makeev says:

Perforce integration is a standard IntelliJ Platform feature and is available in all our IDEs. It will be available in C++ IDE for sure.

22. Does this mean support for Blackberry (BB10) development?

23. Anton Makeev says:

No, at the moment we don’t have any plans to support Blackberry development.

24. This is really good news! Thanks, guys!
    However, I want to join greatvote in requesting QT support from the start. This is a must-have!

25. What a great news it is !! Just about when I was searching for a better/cooler cross-platform C IDE (tired of eclipse CDT and netbeans) I came across the news. Though there is no release plan, but it is worth waiting. I am a BIG fan of Resharper, can’t even think about coding in .NET without it. So I guess same legacy will follow suit. I have couple of queries though. It will be nice to have an answer.

1. Is there any plan to target GCC (Cygwin/Linux/MacOS)?
    2. Will it support popular cross-platform build systems apart from CMake like – GNU autotool, Scons?
    3. Will there be any plan for a community edition? (I know this is too early to ask)

Thanks again guys for this great news.

26. Jasper Blues says:

Will the C++ IDE’s features be available in AppCode? This will be useful for C++ heavy iOS or OSX development.

• Anton Makeev says:

Yes, Jasper, all language features will be available in AppCode as well.
      The difference will be in the supported toolchains.

27. Pingback: JetBrains .NET Tools Blog » ReSharper to Support C++

28. Cedi says:

Did you know an Release-date or a Beta-Release-date or anything else?

29. neslekkim says:

Suport for toolchains from microcontrollers also?, like STM32, AVR, ARM and so on ?

30. “It’s a crime that JetBrains is not offering a C/C++ IDE”. This was my tweet some time ago, after I started using IntelliJ for web and Actionscript development in Linux. Impatiently waiting for the alpha/beta release.

31. sven k says:

Please add support for the JUCE c++ library. We would love that !!!

• agust says:

Yes, yes! I also asked for this by mail already. Crossplatform IDE for a Crossplatform Framework.

• Djinn CPP says:

Adding support for the JUCE library would win you lots of customers.

You have +10000 votes for this new feature, and if you implement it right, I will write you a haiku, name my next son Jetbrain, and grant special powers to the developers of this new IDE.

Please do it :)

32. Morgan says:

I want this. I will buy this. I use IDEA and RubyMine, and this would close the loop for me on good tools. My feature list is three entries long, presuming the rest is all the usual JetBrains goodness: method completion (w/parameters), debugging in the same interface I’m editing, and STL support.

33. Nenad says:

Would give money for this now, perfect IDEA.

34. Nenad says:

Any updates on the release date? Should we hope for something soon, or is the release still months away?

35. Mufasa says:

I have recently moved from using eclipse to intellij and I am in clouds of awe of how great the IDE is.

Is there a list that we can subscribe to, so that we receive update notifications? I cannot express how excited I am about getting a C++ IDE from JetBrains!!!! :) :) :)

36. Matthew says:

I too have been following the news of Jetbrains C++ IDE with interest.

What is the chance that it will use clang/LLVM as the compiler?

37. JimmyNeutron says:

What sort of projects will this C++ IDE be able to import? I understand CMake is planned, but what of Make and XCode projects? Are there any plans to allow the importation of Visual Studio projects?

• Anton Makeev says:

At least the first version will target mostly CMake projects. Make files will be also supported later.
      As for the VS/Xcode projects, there are no plans to support them, as we have dedicated products: AppCode and ReSharper.

38. Mufasa says:

Still vigilantly watching for updates with unabated excitement!!!

39. yurij says:

How much will it cost?
    Can I pay now to get a nightly build ? ))

40. Jetmax says:

Hi guys!
    Any news about release date? Beta? I have to decide about purchase IDE, and just one thing between me and the purchase of Visual Studio – your C++ IDE announce.

• Mufasa says:

Every time I come here and there is no indication of an announcement, I cry a little.

My work mates are getting worried about me.

41. Tim Shockley says:

Our project uses ant coupled with cpptasks for building. Our cross compiling is managed within the build script and we develop on linux for ARM targets. It would be great if there is some ant support available in this product.

42. RiaD says:

We’re waiting for your presents under our New-year spruce :)

43. Pier says:

Will it support arduino?there is a market where many people want to use c++ for arduino, but can’t really find an excellent editor for Mac geared for this use. I’m one of them… :)

44. Sad says:

C-IDE by JB is becoming a really bad 2April joke. There was only announces by the whole year without anything real.

45. Mufasa says:

It’s going to be worth the wait… I just know it.

If you have a alpha/beta version, PLEASE release it! I just absolutely love my key mappings in intellij with IdeaVIM.

46. N M says:

Looks like a release coming our way on the 1st April 2014…

47. Marshall says:

I really appreciate an Arduino plugin for any JetBrains IDE. Right now, there is a nice one for SublimeText, but it would be great to not have to switch editors (and I very much prefer JetBrains products).

48. Marco says:

I’ll learn C++ only for use this IDE.

49. Murat Can says:

This so good i can not wait to develop C++ with JetBrains power :D
    Will new IDE support C development as well?

50. blogspot.com says:

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and
    it is time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I may I wish to recommend you some
    fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article.

I desire to learn more things approximately it!

51. jay jay says:

Is there an estimated time of arrival? we’ve been waiting. thanks.

52. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem
    to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon. Many
    thanks

53. poxzlm says:

I am looking forward to this IDE which would make the history!

54. krasi0 says:

Still waiting for the C++ IDE… Come on, guys. We want to ditch VC++ ASAP :P

55. Excited says:

can’t wait anymore !! any ETA please ??

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

We really want to start public EAP asap. But first we’d like to be sure that both performance and quality are up to the expectations. We have some work to be done there. Public EAP should come during Fall.

56. Anchorite says:

Yeah, where’s this thing at? Is it really going to happen? First post was well over a year ago and no beta yet. Don’t make me go back to Vim!

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

This is going to happen, hopefully in Fall. We really want to start public EAP asap. But first we’d like to be sure that both performance and quality are up to the expectations.

57. Pradipna Nepal says:

Once this is done I can hopefully ditch Windows all together. :) I have been using windows only for VC++ and have to admit VC++ is the best IDE out there right now. If this can beat it then I am a full time Linux user! :D