RubyMine for Vim addicts

Despite our belief that RubyMine is the best we respect people’s favors with regard to the software they love. We are all geeks and ready to fight in holy wars about what’s best, right? :)

So, from the very beginning RubyMine has been providing a number of keyboard layouts: for NetBeans, Visual Studio, TextMate users, some nice color schemes and extensions. But what was missing until now is a decent support for Vim users.

Just yesterday we added so called ‘IdeaVIM’ plugin to RubyMine’s repository. You can install it from IDE Settings | Plugins panel. The plugin should work for RubyMine 1.1 and 1.5 EAP versions.

This plugin provides nearly complete vi/vim/gvim emulation while editing files in RubyMine. The following functionality is supported:

* Motion keys
* Macros
* Diagraphs
* Command line history
* Search history
* Jumplists
* VIM help

Develop with pleasure of using your old habits in the best Ruby/Rails IDE ever!
-JetBrains RubyMine Team

This entry was posted in Announcement. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to RubyMine for Vim addicts

1. I was close on writing a comment about the i18n features, congratulation you guys.

Now the Vim bindings have pushed me over the edge!

You guys are just great, thank you so much for RubyMine.

2. jonald says:

this is very nice!

it doesn’t know about auto-unindenting (when you ‘end’ a block, for example,) but i’m sure that will come in time.

i’ve been waiting for this feature since i started using rubymine!

3. Keith Gaddis says:

God bless you, jetbrains…. relearning standard keymappings has been an exercise in pain management for me. Can’t wait to play with it!

4. George says:

Awesome ^^ thx

5. This is a nice addition for making some converts. However, what I’d really like to know is how we can start creating and publishing plugins for RubyMine ourselves. There are currently only 3 plugins in the repository. How does the process compare to that for IntelliJ IDEA? How can plugins from IntelliJ IDEA be ported to RubyMine?

6. Galen Taylor says:

Like the other poster said, this plugin also made me pick RubyMine.

7. Andy Watts says:

Excellent plugin. I probably wouldn’t consider moving from VIM without this.

However, in vim I use ctrl-r to ‘redo’, in rubymine this brings up ‘replace’.

At least on the Linux version I can’t remove the replace=ctrl-r mapping.

8. andywatts says:

Oh no’s….The following just failed silently on Linux.

:w /tmp/asdf

9. @Andy: thanks for the feedback. There are some known issues in Vim plugin that we’re working on. You are welcome to put your issues to the tracker: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RUBY

10. Oleg Shpynov says:

@Andywatts: Have you configured RubyMine to use Vim keymap instead of default one?
    @all: New plugin version with several critical bug fixes is available to install via plugin manager

11. kabe says:

i’m purchasing rubymine because of this plugin. i like the tool, but i need my vi, and this does it for me. thanks!

12. Jakob says:

Very cool plugin, some bugs but I hope they´ll be fixed soon.
    Anyone knows how to turn off the automatic changing to VIM Keymap?
    I just want to use the VI commands and stick to my TextMate keymap for the IDE. Every time I start RubyMine 3.1 I get a hint that RubyMine switched to VIM´s keymap -.-
    Even if I delete the VIM keymap, the next restart RubyMine installs it and applys it :F

13. Oleg Shpynov says:

Hello Jakob,

Actually Vim keymap is required for ideavim plugin work, so you should probably change it’s bindings if you’d like to.
    Could you please describe your problems with detailed descriptions at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/VIM

Moreover we have a public buildserver where you can download the latest nightly builds of the plugin: http://teamcity.jetbrains.com/viewType.html?buildTypeId=bt299

Regards,
    Oleg

14. Jarrod says:

no visual block mode… bummer. Oh well, back to regular vim.

15. Looks like there is no visual block and also the Ruby Mine Alt+MOUSE visual editing doesn’t work! this is a big issue for me.

• Andrey Vlasovskikh says:

Miguel, IdeaVim supports the blockwise visual mode. As in vim, you can toggle it using ctrl+v. Please make sure that in your keymap this shortcut is bound to IdeaVim (not to Paste action, for example). You can check it using File -> Settings -> Keymap -> Shortcut Filter (the filter icon).