ReSharper for C++ Early Access Program Goes Public

Do you recall how we announced that ReSharper was going to support C++ last summer? Well we’re still serious about that: as serious as the folks who are working next door on a separate, cross-platform, IntelliJ-based C++ IDE.

We’ve been running private ReSharper C++ Early Access Program (EAP) for several months now. Out of 1200+ developers who subscribed to receive private builds, over 600 did in fact receive them. Great thanks to all subscribers who, by virtue of submitting info about their development environments, helped us significantly in sorting out what to support in a priority fashion and what to leave in the backlog for now.

As we now have a sufficiently good idea of how devs are working on C++ in Visual Studio, there’s little sense to keep the gates closed. That said, we’re now opening ReSharper C++ EAP to the public.

Before you go and download and play with the latest EAP build though, you should totally read the following and mind the limitations that are inherent to the current state of ReSharper C++ EAP. Here are the things you should know about ReSharper C++ EAP.

What is supported

• C, C++03 and a part of C++11
  • Code bases up to 40Mb
  • Most Boost libraries

What is not supported

• Code bases exceeding 40Mb
  • Microsoft libraries including MFC, ATL and WTL
  • Certain C++11 features including variadic templates, raw string literals and trailing return types. Lambdas are supported partially
  • An array of MS preprocessor extensions
  • An even wider array of MS C++ extensions

If you’re not sure if a C++11 feature or an MS C++ extension that you’re using is supported, the ReSharper C++ EAP page contains a full list of known issues and unsupported items, which you’re highly encouraged to examine before you decide to download and install an EAP build.

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to ReSharper for C++ Early Access Program Goes Public

1. This is awesome! Congrats to getting this out, I look forward to trying it in my projects :)

2. Øystein Krog says:

Oh man, this is really nice.
    I’m looking forward to the day where I can run this instead of normal R#.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Well technically you can do that right now as the R# C++ EAP is just a build of ReSharper from a different branch, it will remove and substitute your “usual” ReSharper installation.
      It’s just that… it’s EAP and it’s nowhere near final in terms of scope of language and library support.

• Øystein Krog says:

Ah yes that’s what I tried first.. unfortunately there are some bugs that breaks C# functionality right now, but I will switch over as soon as the EAP is stable enough for daily use:)

I _really_ like how seamlessly it works in Visual Studio solutions with both C# and C++ projects.
        When I first heard of the C++ project and saw the demo video with the new IDE, I did not realize you were going to bring it into R#/Visual Studio as well as you have:)

3. Pingback: Dew Drop – February 27, 2014 (#1732) | Morning Dew

4. Pingback: Articles for 2014-feb-28 | Readings for a day

5. Davyd McColl says:

So the question I have is this:

For existing customers with a “Full” license, is this an added featureset or does it come at an extra charge? I certainly don’t expect this to be tacked on to an existing C# license (for example), but I would expect this to be part of a full license. The background here is that my work buys C# licenses for devs (so I could have one of those for free), but I need C# and VB (refactoring a legacy application) so I’ve bought my own personal license at a not-insignificant cost to myself. If C++ support comes as part of the package deal, I’m super-stoked — that means that three of the languages I use and know are included in the product I bought. If not, I’m a sad panda. Yes, I know about the “free for open-source” initiative (and love it), but I’ve also been a slack panda in keeping my open-source stuff up to date and active — a bad habit I’m changing (:

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Good question Davyd but I’m afraid it’s too early to give a definite answer. We’re thinking what to do with editioning, and we might be changing the existing editions (or we might not.) Give us a few more months and we’ll decide. Anyway, there’s still at least half a year before the C++ part gets merged into the main product.

6. Øystein Krog says:

Eagerly awaiting an update to the EAP:)

• Etienne Maheu says:

Agreed! I’d love to see an updated build base on the final version of Resharper 8.2 even if no new C++ are provided.

7. Thanks a lot it was Amazingly helpful :)

8. James says:

Can you provide any more details on the 40MB thing?
    Would this include 3rd party tools we have the source for that are in the includes?

What will be the effect if you do go over 40?

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

James,

40MB is the limitation that was tested by us and considered appropriate for not affecting the performance significantly. The larger the codebase ReSharper has to index is, including external libraries, the more likely it will be slowing down. On the average, working with projects larger than 40 MB might not feel very comfortable, but it still depends on a particular project.

9. James says:

In a big MFC c++ cli solution can any resharper versions be used?
    ie there are projects that are pure .Net and some that are pure c++.

Can the standard resharper version be used within the .Net projects?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

James, I’m afraid no version of ReSharper will currently work with MFC & CLI

Within your standard .NET projects you can try using the regular ReSharper but cross-references to C++/CLI projects will not be handled correctly. It could be a show-stopper depending on how many of them you’re using in your .NET projects and how they’re structured.

• James says:

It does analyse the c# class libraries within the solution.

The main danger is that it says c# methods that are only called from the c++ side are never used.

So the c# resharper is useful in the solution.

Can you install and run the c++ one alongside the c# one though?

• James says:

All our c++ stuff uses MFC, so we wouldn’t get any results anyway.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

James, unfortunately you can’t use two ReSharper versions simultaneously. The C++ version gets regular merges from the C# version, which means that using a R# C++ build is the best option you can possibly get so far. The problem of resolving references will likely not be solved though.

10. Oleg says:

Is it possible to Complete Current Statement like in IntelliJ IDEA (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)?

JetBrains ReSharper C++ EAP Full Edition Checked
    Build 8.5.0.4993 on 2014-06-27T12:34:56
    Plugins: none
    Visual Studio 12.0.30723.0.

I found here
    Complete statement Ctrl+Shift+Enter but it doesn’t work.