JetBrains C++ IDE: Status update & Video report

Posted on by Anastasia Kazakova

Update: Cross-platform C/C++ IDE goes public as CLion!

We know many of you are waiting for a cross-platform C++ IDE we announced some time ago, as we’ve received quite a few applications for a private preview. We were really impressed with your feedback and increasing eagerness concerning our new IDE, and we want to update you on the current state of its development.

The private preview build for some early birds (whose projects are covered with the capabilities already available in the preview) is just around the corner. The feature list for the upcoming build includes the most important and relevant items:

• CMake + GCC + GDB7.
  • Application development for any platform: Linux, OS X, or Windows (Cygwin, MinGW).
  • C++11 support (including lambda functions, raw string literals, variadic templates, decltype, auto and more).
  • Code analysis and many suggested quick-fixes.
  • Refactorings (extract method/variable/typedef/define/etc., change signature, rename, safe delete, and others).
  • Code generation and templates.
  • Preprocessor support (so that all useful features can help with macros too).

Clang/LLDB support is planned for the next EAP builds.

And now please welcome the introductory video:

Stay tuned!
The AppCode and C++ IDE Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

361 Responses to JetBrains C++ IDE: Status update & Video report

1. Miki says:

Wow! So excited :).

2. Saeid says:

February 10, 2014

Oh man i can’t wait, I with you’d choose me!

• Saeid says:

**Wish… Sorry.

3. Marcin says:

February 10, 2014

Oh man, can’t wait! I wish it was available with Intellij IDEA as a plugin!

February 10, 2014

We don’t have such plans now because don’t see any particular use case. What’s yours?

• Janne says:

February 10, 2014

Android development with NDK.

February 10, 2014

Ok, got it. Thanks. We will consider this in our future plans but nothing in particular to promise you now.

• unodgs says:

February 10, 2014

Not only this. I really like having one ide for everything. Since IntelliJ already is such an app, not including c++ would be incomprehensible. For example I develop 3d engine (C++) and blender plugin (python) under one project. So please reconsider c++ as a plugin..

February 10, 2014

We will consider your request in future planning. Thank you.

• James Power says:

February 10, 2014

Another use case would be Objective-C++, which is pretty popular with companies like Facebook and game studios

• Dimitar Dimitrov says:

February 14, 2014

2 more use cases:

Developing and debugging applications making heavy use of JNI (i.e. because they integrate with third-party native library)

IDEA provides more than just Java, in one of our projects we have C++ core, reams of XML DSL code (for which we have developed custom tooling built on IDEA), some Groovy scripts, Perl, Python and others. We use idea for everythng except the C++, which is painful. Also, consolidated search for symbols would be great.

February 14, 2014

BTW do you know that AppCode (and C++ IDE also will be) supports XML, HTML, CSS, JS also, not only ObjC/C/C++?

• Lorenzo Fontana says:

February 26, 2014

+ 1 for this!

• Yoni Ben-Meshulam says:

August 13, 2014

I have no use for a pure C++ IDE. I’d say that polyglot programming is the new norm.

August 14, 2014

We agree with you and that’s why C/C++ IDE is not only for C and C++, but also for HTML, XML, XSLT, JavaScript, CSS. And some other languages that will be available via plugins (Lua or Python may be, for example, etc.).

• Janne Haapsaari says:

February 10, 2014

Do you mean for the duration of the EAP or in general? In the comment section of the announcement link Maria Khalusova said that C++ functionality will be available as an Intellij IDEA plugin. Is this information not correct? I certainly see it as an use case to be able to use the same IDE for multiple languages.

February 10, 2014

Unfortunately, plugin for Intellij IDEA is not in our plans right now. You can use AppCode on OS projects or C++ IDE for CMake-based projects and various platforms. C++ functionality is also available in ReSharper for those who are using Visual Studio.

• Daniel Miranda says:

February 10, 2014

Does that mean paying a separate license? Because currently the main IntelliJ license allows you to use plugins from all the languages and that was one of the reasons for me picking it up. Not having that for C++ would be really disappointing.

February 10, 2014

For now yes. But have a look at AppCode Preferences | Plugins list. There are many items too.

February 11, 2014

Daniel, in fact it’s just not a priority right now based on studies we have which cover uses cases of people using C++ with other languages / platforms. But we may come to this later and consider the possibility then.

• Florin Patan says:

February 10, 2014

I might not be the only one here, but maybe if you JetBrains would just increase the price of IDEA + C++ as a bundle, say by 20 euro / renewal, or 40 euro fresh license, everyone would be happy.

I do appreciate the effort it takes to deliver something like this, especially at the high standards of quality you are doing it.

Thanks!

• Edwin Keeton says:

February 13, 2014

I would use C++ more if it was a plugin integrated into IntelliJ. I would pay extra for the plugin.

• Jean-Francois Im says:

February 10, 2014

Anyone who’s using JNI. I have used it to do realtime image processing on video using OpenCV in a Java app, for example.

Are there plans to support other build systems (ie. Boost.build or Makefiles)?

February 10, 2014

We are planning to support other build systems in later public releases.

• MorleyDev says:

February 10, 2014

To add to the use cases, I recently used node.js+mocha to specification test a C++ command line tool.

My current approach whilst developing this tool has been to develop the C++ code in Visual Studio, write the CMake files in Sublime Text and maintain those tests with WebStorm.

• Leo Simons says:

February 10, 2014

Development on a mixed language project with bindings (C/C++ db/cache/queue core, bind/0mq into java app server, typical middleware stuff w/ spring).

In general for any multi-language project even if it does not integrate very tightly it would be sweet to have C++ and java debuggers in one IDE (like you can do w/ java+javascript now for webdev use cases), mixed changeset management, etc.

• nicholas says:

February 10, 2014

I would like this as well. I have completely converted over to IntelliJ for about 90% of my work at the moment(4th year CS student at UMass Boston) This semester I am doing a database backed web development course, Java Compilers course in Java, a software engineering course project in C++. I’m also using android and Arduino for the freshman success community I help teach. Having an IDE that could do almost all of those (Arduino aside) would be amazing. Not to mention how easy IntelliJ makes version control integration, we could pretty much standardize a bunch of stuff around IntelliJ, reducing some clusterf***s regarding setup and allowing us to spend more time at the command line with the newbies.

• Dan says:

February 11, 2014

Frankly? A need to keep my desktop environment uncluttered. My desktop is a powerful enough machine to take any performance hit from a plugin vs standalone app, and I’d much rather have a single IDE for my most used languages rather than multiple ones.

February 11, 2014

What are your most used languages? Anyway you will be able to use C++ IDE with a set of plugins for HTML, XML, CSS, etc.

• James says:

October 9, 2014

I think your missing the point.
            HTML and CSS are probably the least relevant second ‘languages’ for a C++ project.

October 9, 2014

What’s you suggestion? We’ll be glad to here.

• Renaud Lepage says:

February 13, 2014

Adding a vote for Android NDK coding. The core software should allow that.

Hell, I’m already considering buying an IDE for the first time, well, ever, because of AppCode C++, just to have something that doesn’t crash as much as Eclipse. Make a full Android offering and I might as well throw my money at you right now.

• Per says:

February 23, 2014

To “stir the pot” a little bit here, I fully support the decision to keep C/C++ in a separate IDE, so keep up the good job focusing on making it optimized for C/C++.

I prefer tools that are focused on doing one thing as good as possible before integrating as many function as as possible (it’s comparable to those “multi-tools” for the workshop, dedicated tools almost always do a better job).

I am an IntelliJ user, but even though Idea is perfectly capable of handling e.g. Python and Javascript, I have also purchased Webstorm, as well as Pycharm. Just because I find those tools do a slightly better job that the plugin functions (it’s all in the little details, such as quicker start up, or the ability to start editing in a directory without explicitly making a new project etc etc).

• Tomáš Bílek says:

March 20, 2014

There is a lot use cases. I use PHP, Java, C++ (OpenCV, Boost), Python, Clojure almost daily for scientific and web development task. IntelliJ IDEA is ideal platform for me. From Django to Java and back – now when I am doing C++ work is switching to Netbeans or Xcode as waist of time (and also pain, because of another workflow and keymaps – and I also missing gorgeous Darkula theme:).

+1 for that wee need plugin.

March 20, 2014

May be in future. Right now the priorities are different and the resources are limited. But we will consider it later.

• olanod says:

May 29, 2014

what I like of intellij is its excelent support for many different languages so I don’t need to switch to a different IDE, not having support for C/C++ surprised me when I tried to create some bindings of a native library for python and nodejs.

• David Zemon says:

July 2, 2014

More than anything, if I’ve already purchased a license for IDEA, why would you make me purchase a license for your new C++ IDE? Almost all of your other tools are available as plugins for the IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate user; the C++ IDE should be too!

• Will says:

August 8, 2014

JNI

• John Bandela says:

February 10, 2014

I for one am glad that it is not available as a plugin. C++ is different enough from either Java or C# that to try to cram it into a do it all IDE is a mistake. I think Microsoft Visual C++ usability and performance for C++ is significantly worse with the current IDE (for several releases now) where C++ is just one language among many in the IDE, as opposed to where it was focused on C++ (ie Visual C++ 6).

In conclusion, I would vote for the C++ IDE to always be a separate program and NOT integrated into Intellij.

• Brian Gordon says:

February 10, 2014

You are aware that Java, Scala, Groovy, Clojure, PHP, Python, Ruby, HTML5, CSS3, SASS, LESS, JavaScript, CoffeeScript, Node.js, ActionScript, and XML are already crammed into IDEA?

February 10, 2014

Yes. And in AppCode and C++ IDE we support not only main ObjC or C/C++ but also JS, XML, HTML, CSS. You can open Preferences | Plugins in AppCode for example to have a look.

• Alex says:

February 10, 2014

So the upcoming C++ IDE will let me work with (some) other languages then?

I certainly wouldn’t need full Java/PHP/whatever functionality in a C++ IDE, but HTML, CSS, XML are imho essential. If that’s included, I’m fine with the decision not to make it a plugin for IDEA.

February 10, 2014

All these languages are available in AppCode now and of course will come to C++ IDE as well.

4. Alex says:

February 10, 2014

Есть\планируется ли поддержка C? (C99 и C11)

February 10, 2014

Да, конечно. С тоже в планах. Пока в первых релизах С99. Потом, будем планировать и С11.

5. Stavros Kefaleas says:

Nice video!
    Keep up the good work guys!

6. pjmlp says:

This is great!

7. Stewart says:

February 10, 2014

Will AppCode be a sub project of the C++ IDE?

February 10, 2014

They are separate. You can use AppCode on OS X projects or C++ IDE for CMake-based projects and various platforms.

8. Sergey Chistov says:

Will buy

9. Deepankar Sharma says:

February 10, 2014

When can I buy this? I would happily pay to get access to alpha versions which are a preview.

February 10, 2014

Just fill the form: http://www.jetbrains.com/objc/features/cpp.html#form And if our private preview covers your project needs you will get the private build for free.

• Valerii says:

April 4, 2014

Is it still possible to request a private preview?

April 4, 2014

Unfortunately, no. We already have quite many developers (we were really impressed with the total number!) filled the survey form and so requested the preview build for testing and evaluation. And our resources are limited so we suggest you to wait till the public EAP. We don’t have the particular dates for it but after finishing private preview feedback collecting we’ll start preparing the public EAP.

10. Vittorio Romeo says:

February 10, 2014

Awesome! If you need a beta tester for the GNU/Linux version, I’d love to participate!

11. erwan says:

Qt support would be great too, I don’t like Qt Creator

• Ladislav says:

February 15, 2014

Yes!!! Support for Glade (GTK) would be nice as well.

• Mike says:

August 17, 2014

+1 for Qt!

12. Florin Patan says:

Hi,

I’m working into integrating GDB support for golang into the plugin for IntelliJ IDEA, and while it was ‘fun’ so far, how can I get more details about this and if the API to use GDB will be open (and possibly available cross-platform, meaning for PHPStorm and rest).

Thanks.

February 10, 2014

No plans for now unfortunately.

• Florin Patan says:

February 10, 2014

Is there any place where I could ‘vote’ / lobby to have this functionality on release?

Thanks!

13. Ben says:

February 10, 2014

Can’t wait for the next release with LLDB support. It’s been nice to brush up on CLI debugging skills recently, but please, take my money for a GUI-based implementation.

14. Satu says:

February 10, 2014

Will buy please send me the link where I am buying this. C++ has been something i haven’t done for a while but i am ready to write a new project of mine that secret can’t tell but very exciting!

I really enjoy what you russian are doing here, (I don’t like the politics since I am gay but that’s not your issue).

Satu from malaysia

15. Syndog says:

*thunderous applause*

16. Bartosz Wójcik says:

February 10, 2014

This music kills me :), can’t wait for the IDE. I wish there was a native resource builder for Windows apps there too, with form editor, icon editor, manifest embedding etc.

17. tim says:

February 10, 2014

such wow! much excitement!

18. Pwek says:

IDE is written in java?

February 10, 2014

Yes, it’s based on our common IntelliJ platform.

• Jonathan Sowards says:

November 23, 2014

If it’s already based on Intellij program why not release it as a plugin? I thought IDEA was polyglot but am not feeling the love when I need to code in C/C++/Objective-C. You charge a subscription so you can add these new features… Yet you say it is not in your current plan to release it as a plugin, but as it is built on Intellij platform isn’t it already module/plugin just kept in a private repo? This is a slap in your face to your current IDEA subscribers. Is this what we can expect for all new languages your decide to build on the Intellij platform first AppCode now Clion? Will you just keep raising the subscription price and not include new languages? Will you not release the plugin for it because it makes you more money? Why do you call it your polyglot IDE if you are not going to support every plugin you can? When you obviously have wrote the plugin/module on the IntelliJ platform and should support it. I am an avid fan of IntelliJ but at the very least you could release it to us as an additional subscription fee and let us have the download for both.

Thanks, A very frustrated Intellij platform user.

November 24, 2014

CLion will be released as a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA, but just not now, we’ll consider this after 1.0 release for sure. We are a bit limited in our resources and have more priority tasks to spend it to. But be sure we’ll come with it in future.

AppCode won’t come as a plugin cause it’s a one-platform IDE with heavy reliance on Xcode tools.

19. myschizobuddy says:

is CUDA or OpenCL support in the pipeline

February 10, 2014

We will collect the requests and consider the most popular for the future releases.

20. Timo Rothenpieler says:

February 10, 2014

Will it support using MSVC as a compiler and cdb as debugger on windows?

February 10, 2014

Right now it’s gcc and gdb. Other variants will be suggested later. May be ReSharper fits your project on Windows better https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2013/06/26/resharper-to-support-c/ ?

• Don Clore says:

March 14, 2014

How does the debugging work? You wire it up with gdb somehow, and the IDE understands how to do source-level debugging?

Can you interactively reset the instruction pointer in the debugger, i.e., when it’s broken in the debugger, can you manually set the execution point to be someplace different?

This is something Visual Studio (and all the Microsoft development tools over the years, going back to CodeView in 1988’ish) have always been able to do both in C/C++ and C# (not sure about other languages).

I can’t do this in IDEA/IntelliJ; not sure if it’s an IDE/debugger thing, or something about the way the JVM works.

Do you plan to permit this with the C++ IDE/debugging support?

I want to stress: for me, good support for interactive debugging is WAY more important than all the features you showed in this video, with all respect (I’m a big IDEA fan, and am totally willing to shell out some shekels for a professional-level tool that has great debugger support, whether it’s gdb under the covers, or whatever).

• Alexey Ushakov says:

March 14, 2014

Debugging works through gdb mi interface (https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/GDB_002fMI.html#GDB_002fMI) It is well defined and quite stable (at least inside major release) interface with special notifications events that allows us to track execution in sources. To continue from the different address you can just set $pc (instruction pointer) into the specific value. It may be dangerous though because you might leave the stack in some invalid state. So, it needs to be investigated how to do this safe. It’s interesting feature, so I’ve filed a ticket for it http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/CPP#

21. Tommy says:

This is gonna be the best thing happening to C++, since the STL 🙂

• Alex says:

Yeah…

I’m always looking jealously at the “Java guys”, because they simply have the best IDE in the world. IDEA’s understanding of code and its countless productivity features are state of the art. Eclipse CDT or qtcreator is what I’m using for cross platform C++ development, but both are lightyears behind IDEA.

For me, the editor is the most important part of an IDE and I hope the C++ editor (+ surrounding infrastructure) will be as capable as the one in IDEA.

• Syndog says:

February 12, 2014

^ this

• George Cook says:

February 22, 2014

I disagree.

I think the Objective c guys (like me) have the best ide in the world : appcode 😉

22. Alex says:

>C++11 support

Will we be able to set the language level, similar to how you set the language level for java ( java 5, java 6, java 7, java 8, etc.?). I’m hoping the editor can handle older c++ sources as well as new C++11 source.

Yes, it gonna come.

23. Tim says:

February 10, 2014

>Code analysis and many suggested quick-fixes

It looks like it misses one of the most common pitfalls … no virtual destructor in SMA base class
    From the moment that you create a virtual function it should add a remark about the missing virtual destructor.

February 10, 2014

Yes, we definitely should. The quick fix should be suggested.

24. Andrea says:

February 10, 2014

I’ll be at the top of the line when it will be available for purchase.
    I already applied for the private beta and really hope I will be able to get my hands on it asap.
    Look really promising and filling a long-standing gap in the C++ IDE arena for Linux/OSX.
    I’m just wondering (as a vim user for all my coding): will there be a vim-mode for editing (like there’s in AppCode via plugin)?

February 10, 2014

Yes, it should come from AppCode to C++ IDE.

25. Chris says:

February 10, 2014

Add another vote from me for C++ support in IDEA. I often call native code/libraries from Java via JNI and would love to seamlessly move between the two codebases within the one IDE.

26. Jason says:

February 10, 2014

So excited. Something gonna buy next.

27. Kieran says:

February 11, 2014

What’s the support going to be like for Make/Autotools support? There’s a lot of existing projects that use Autotools. If the IDE is delegating to the build tool, then hopefully it’s not that complicated.

Are there plans to support libtool or other wrappers for debuggin? One of the most annoying features of Eclipse’s CDT is that you can’t debug libtool archives.

February 11, 2014

Other build systems will come in later releases. And all these things will depend on users feedback and features voting in tracker.

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

February 26, 2014

Too bad that I wasn’t accepted in the private beta because we use Autotools, should have lied that we use CMake, sigh…

I think that this doesn’t make much sense: both Autotools and CMake generate Makefiles in the end, and I’m definitively fine with configuring by hand until it’s supported from the IDE 🙁

Finally, another vote for C++ plugin for IDEA. A separate IDE is awesome, but a plugin even with reduced ergonomics is great too, when you need to work, say on both C++ and Python at the same time!

February 26, 2014

Unfortunately CMake files are used as a project files for the IDE. So you definitely should have cmake-based project to open it in C++ IDE for now. But cheer up! We are planning to include more build systems in some future.

• Enrico Maria Crisostomo says:

February 15, 2014

In my opinion, support for the GNU Build System is a must in a multiplatform C/C++ IDE, given the huge quantity of multiplatform code that exists nowadays which uses this build system. I’m really looking forward for this new IDE, but for my business the lack of Autotools support is a deal-breaker. I hope it’ll be included very soon.

28. Madis says:

February 11, 2014

Good work, the AppCode and C++ IDE Team!

Hope you get this thing rolling.

Using it seems like a nice way to study a language as well.

29. Dinesh says:

February 11, 2014

I moved from eclipse to IntelliJ 6 months ago and kick myself everyday why didn’t I make the move earlier. I have summarized few most used shortcuts which would be handy for c++ developers as we’ll.

Enjoy

Cool! Nice overview.

30. Kieran says:

February 11, 2014

Will Structural Search and Replace be available? I use that feature in IntelliJ a lot to help refactor large codebases.

In future yes.

31. Jonathan says:

February 11, 2014

I know this might sounds crazy but is plausible for Jetbrains to also support D lang too? The language is in need of a stellar IDE and most other tools for it are sorely lacking. Anyway, thanks for listening!

32. Alex Besogonov says:

February 11, 2014

Will the new C++11 support be added to AppCode?

33. Blair says:

February 11, 2014

Well done guys. Hanging to get my hands on the EAP.

34. Leo says:

When will it be out?

February 11, 2014

The private preview will come soon. And the next public release depends on the private preview’s feedback.

• danielle says:

June 24, 2014

Why can’t we have access to whatever last private beta you built?
        If you had enough feedback, and you don’t want anymore, I promise to not to provide anymore.
        If you are concerned that I’ll be disappointed and that I’ll never check again the status of the product, I can pay now in advance for the final release….
        If you just could let me use it it would be way better than what I have to use now.
        Please…. ??

Why private beta anyway? We’re all grown-ups and understand that it might not work well yet, and crash, and eat our code, and so on.
        But we’re all waiting to try it… why not let us try it?

July 1, 2014

We gave the private access to the limited set of users, they ready to provide the feedback to us and their environment is supported by the current state of the C++ IDE. This environment has strong limitations and in other cases IDE can’t run properly or the projects are not supported for now. So please be patient. We are working hard on the delivering the public EAP asap.

35. Adrian says:

February 11, 2014

Is the use of CMake required? My company has a very large codebase and custom cross-platform gmake makefiles. Currently, I use Source Insight and can just tell it to slurp in all files in a directory tree (with exclusions if I like) and it does the best it can analyzing those, which is a pretty good job. The main features I get out of it are “Find usages of” (important in a 40MLoC program) and smart renaming.

Will this IDE be able to work the same way? SI is pretty good but it doesn’t appear to be actively maintained anymore so I’m looking for a good alternative. However, changing the way my entire department builds its software is not a realistic option.

February 11, 2014

For the first release CMake is the only build-system supported. Others will come later and which exactly depends on users voting.

• Adrian says:

February 11, 2014

Ok, thanks. Perhaps I can create a fake CMake file.

36. Daniel Doan says:

February 11, 2014

Let me join the private preview, please! It’s so amazing!

37. Thorsten Ottosen says:

February 11, 2014

Please consider to add support for Boost.Build:

regards

Thorsten

38. Сергей Кокорин says:

February 11, 2014

Насколько сложные CMakeLists поддерживаются (свои cmake модули будут подхватываться)? Будет ли возможность обрабатывать всякие обёртки на других языках доступных из CMake, в первую очередь python интересует?

February 11, 2014

CMake сейчас основная и самая приоритетная билд-система. Она будет всячески развиваться от версии к версии. Всякие сложные штуки-обертки вряд ли будут сразу, но вполне возможно чуть позже.

39. pradeep says:

February 11, 2014

will remote development be supported?

February 11, 2014

All specific features will depends on users requests and voting and may come in later releases.

40. Sebastian says:

February 12, 2014

Will the IDE be aware of constants/defines defined through the -D compiler flag? I have a project which defines several constants (e.g. PACKAGE_NAME) in the Makefiles (should be possible with CMake aswell). The most anying thing with Eclipse was always that it marked these constants as errors because it did not find the definitions.

Also, does your IDE use libclang to analyse the source and perform refactorings, or have you implemented something else?

February 12, 2014

Our own analyser is based on Clang with some parts of our own.
      And about an option I agree it’s a useful feature and we will consider it.

41. Andre says:

February 12, 2014

Will it also be possible to develop in C ?

February 12, 2014

Yes. C99 for now. C11 a bit later.

• Alan Stewart says:

February 13, 2014

Awesome!

42. Sad says:

February 12, 2014

Announce again… with one more video again… What does JB want? – exhaust out traffic ))

• Sad says:

February 12, 2014

sorry, typo. out = our

43. Arseny says:

February 13, 2014

How the IDE performs now for example when editing complex template code like boost?

February 13, 2014

We are still working hard on the build and new features. So let’s talk about some final result a bit later. It’s mutable now. But we are striving for the best putting big effort to the performance item.

44. Chris Johnson says:

February 13, 2014

I don’t use IDEA, but I do use PHPStorm and WebStorm. For C++, I variously use Codelite, NetBeans, Eclipse and Vim, as none of them work as well for C++ as PHPStorm works for PHP.

So what I’d like to see is the C++ IDE be as use-friendly as PHPStorm.

I’d also like to see discount pricing for people who buy more than one IDE product from JetBrains. That is, if one is like me and buys 3 IDE products, the price per product would be a bit less than just buying one. Without the price discount, I tend to lean towards wanting all my languages available as plugins in IDEA, which I can then buy for less money than 3 stand-alone IDEs.

• Aldo TheCrott says:

February 27, 2014

Looks good. I think Jetbrains should consider this. And how about education member who buy multiple Jetbrain IDEs ?

February 27, 2014

We will consider such situation.

45. Chris Sederqvist says:

February 13, 2014

It all looks fine when it’s a few lines of code, but using an IDE programmed in Java to do large scale C++ applications, I’ve tried before with Eclipse and various plugins.
    I always end up with Emacs in the end..

46. Dmytro Baranovskyi says:

February 16, 2014

Just amazing, waiting for a first public builds! Thanks!

47. Alex Korban says:

February 17, 2014

This has a lot of promise! Looks like the editor is very capable. It would be great to have an IDE for Linux and MacOS which is comparable to Visual Studio.

And as I use RubyMine, it would be particularly cool to have an equivalent of RubyMine for C++.

48. Alexey Ananyev says:

February 17, 2014

Скажите пожалуйста, будет ли поддержка wxWidgets, дебагера на подобии как в Visual Studio(по мне так он очень удобный, проще отследить работу кода)? И когда ваши пробудты попадут в репозитарии каких либо дистрибутивов линукса чтоыб проще было ставить и видеть их все, в часности Ubuntu?

February 17, 2014

Дебагеры другие будем поддерживать чуть позже, выбирая сначала те, которые более всего популярны у пользователей. Когда будет такая возможность, можно будет создать запрос на фичу в треккере и проголосовать за нее.
      По поводу репозитариев и дистрибутивов – пока ничего не могу сказать, конкретных планов пока нет.

• Alexey Ananyev says:

February 17, 2014

А что по поводу wxWidgets? Всетаки если C++ IDE кросплатформенная то виджеты это как бы одна из составлящих кросплатформенность. Пока хорошую поддержку виджетов я вижу только в Code::Blocks но проект медленно развивается.
        Спасибо.

February 17, 2014

Тут пока ответ такой же – когда будем думать, что дальше добавлять в C++ IDE из новых возможностей, обязательно посмотрим, что запрашивают пользователи и что у них популярно. Пока план минимум озвучен, все остальное будем обсуждать и решать позже.

49. Kiera says:

February 20, 2014

Amazing news! I’ll buy TWO licenses, if it’ll help speed things along. 😉

50. Alexey Ananyev says:

February 20, 2014

Скажите, а есть примерные сроки например тестирования, релиза?

• Sad says:

February 21, 2014

Alexey, we have to wait till 1 April for more plans )) . But now we live with “конкретных планов пока нет.”

February 21, 2014

Сейчас некоторым их тех, кто заполнил анкету (а именно тем, в чьем окружении по нашим оценкам билд должен заработать), мы пошлем private preview. Это будет уже в самое ближайшее время. Как потом будет по срокам, будет зависеть от фидбека по private preview.

51. Chris Krycho says:

February 21, 2014

If you are not planning on making the C++ functionality available as a plugin for IDEA (which is sensible), I’d ask that you strongly consider the following:

1. The suggestion made above of discount pricing for those of us who invest in multiples of your IDEs. Buying multiple licenses when doing development on different language platforms can become painful, and this is an increasingly common thing for developers. (This year, I’m likely to be working in all of Python, PHP, Javascript, HTML/CSS, C/C++, and Fortran at various points—and maybe some Obj-C, too!)

2. Making at least the Python plugin available for the C++ IDE would be incredibly helpful. A lot of developers use that particular combination, and I have a team of five or six developers with whom I work who would almost certainly buy corporate license for exactly that use case. I am sure we are not the only such team out there.

February 21, 2014

That’s not true that we are not planning the C++ plugin for IDEA at all. I just mean that we do not have such plans right now cause there are many things with the higher priority and the resources are limited. I suggest we will be back to the point later.
      Considering pricing suggestions, thanks a lot, we will definitely discuss the possibility inside the company. By the way C/C++/HTML/JS/CSS/XML are all available in AppCode (together with ObjC) and in C++ IDE this support will also be present.

52. Tim says:

February 26, 2014

Another Idea is for Embedded C Development. There are not a lot of Embedded IDE except for Eclipse, Atmel Studio, Ardunio (sort of), there maybe some more, but those are the only ones I know of.

• Tim says:

February 27, 2014

Also Scons support that would be useful as well.

53. Andrei says:

February 27, 2014

Hi Anastasia!

When do plan to release it?
    Does it have a feature of remote compiling? For example I’m currently working on OSX and compile under arch linux on remote host.

p.s.
    I’m coding 7 days/week and if you knew how much(!) I’m tired of buggy and urgly netbeans …

Best wishes,
    Andrei

February 27, 2014

Hello Andrei! Right now we have started private preview iterations and it strongly depends on the feedback when the first public EAP and then release will come. So I can’t tell you any particular estimations now.
      Remote compiling feature may possibly appear in some future releases. We will consider it later.
      Regards.

• Andrei says:

February 27, 2014

Anastasia let me participate it your testing as an exception. I’m using a development version of netbeans for almost a year, posting bugs every day but it’s not getting better:( It’s better to post bugs on your great IDE then to waste time on a poor product. Of cause if it’s possible to work with your IDE in it’s current state. You’ll save my nerves and I’ll spend some time of my life to help you make c++ IDE better. And even buy it:) It’s a great deal.
        Regards

February 27, 2014

Have you filled the form here http://www.jetbrains.com/objc/features/cpp.html#form ? The private builds have some limitations for the environment in which can be used. So tell us about yours in this survey for us to decide if it works for you.

• Andrei says:

February 27, 2014

Thank you for the reference.

54. Aldo TheCrott says:

February 27, 2014

Love to see this, and I think for the next version is support for Cocos2d-x Game Engine

• Anon says:

March 28, 2014

It’s nice idea. Can’t wait the new c++ IDE will support cocos2d-x, especially the version 3.x
      And since cocos2d-x is a popular game engine, you should consider it implemented in next cycle

55. Roman says:

February 27, 2014

I have to work with real big code base (several millions of LoC) with perplexed templates, variadic macros and the like. And I am a kind of doubt that an IDE written in Java will cope with parsing and indexing all this stuff in reasonable time and without running out of memory. Both, Eclipse and Netbeans, have already failed.

March 1, 2014

We also had such concerns ourselves for many languages supported on the IntelliJ platform base. But finally we had some great experience in solving such a task so we will try to cope.

56. tahirh says:

March 1, 2014

Waiting anxiously for the C++ IDE to come out. Could you please tell when it will be officially available on the website for download? Is there a beta version?

Tahir

March 1, 2014

Right now we have started some private preview iterations. And the public EAP dates will strongly depends on the feedback collected.

57. kzakh says:

March 2, 2014

I have a bit of a problem. The IDE recognizes everything when I configure the toolchains (http://i.imgur.com/BIQMhLn.png). When I go back to the code it gives me errors (http://i.imgur.com/F0WSXAZ.png) but it compiles and works (http://i.imgur.com/0MNW22j.png). How can I fix this?

March 3, 2014

Have you reloaded the project after toolchain configuration? Right now it’s not applied automatically unfortunately.

• kzakh says:

March 3, 2014

Yes I have. It didn’t seem to help.

March 4, 2014

Sorry, I didn’t mention at the first time that you are using MinGW 32-bit. Could you please try 64-bit one?

58. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

March 2, 2014

By the way, what’s the background music in this video?

March 3, 2014

Pinball Spring track

59. Alexey Ananyev says:

March 2, 2014

Скажите, а в ваших продуктах не планируется поддержка других языков переводов кроме английского?
    Если нет то почему? Не думаю что это было бы проблемой. А кому то было бы проще пользоваться.

March 3, 2014

Пока что не планируется. Основная причина – наличие устоявшейся терминологии на английском. Так что такая объемная работа по переводу может оказаться не очень полезной на выходе.

• Alexey Ananyev says:

March 4, 2014

Я думаю что такие переводы компания могла бы дать на помощь сообществу, создать форму с наборами на английском, слова и термины, и выбор на какой язык переводится. И люди бы вам в этом помогли, вам же только прекрутить готовое.

60. Anthony Novak says:

March 2, 2014

Hi Anastasia / Team

I understand that the first EAP has begun and I would ideally like to be included. I understand that the first eap will work on linux, gcc, gdb and cmake. If this is the case please consider adding me to the list of EAP testers.

Regards

March 3, 2014

You are very welcome. Please fill the form here http://www.jetbrains.com/objc/features/cpp.html#form
      Hurry up, the form will be closed soon! We have quite a lot of submissions.

• Yurij says:

March 4, 2014

Can you give us the correct answers to be matched for the next EAP?

March 4, 2014

There are no correct answers. Please describe your environment in which you are able to try the build.

• Anthony Novak says:

March 26, 2014

Hi Anastasia

Did the EAP go ahead for Linux, gcc, gdb, cmake yet? I have signed up a with a couple emails but have not heard back regarding my inclusion / exclusion for the EAP.

Thanks

March 26, 2014

Hello Anthony,
          Yes, we’ve started the private EAPs iterations. You have filled nmake as a build system, haven’t you? This is the main reason we can’t provide you with the build though there are several other non-fitment of the environment for now.

• Anthony Novak says:

March 26, 2014

Hi Anastasia

I have a couple of registrations in your database, one with the email developer.comunicorp which was Linux,gcc,gdb and cmake. I am currently working with this exact configuration using intellij as the editor so a chance to try out the new IDE with debugger support would be great for me.

Regards

March 27, 2014

I see. Are you using GDB 6 as you’ve filled in the survey? We are supporting only version 7.6+ for now.

• Anthony Novak says:

March 27, 2014

Hi Anastasia
            I have just upgraded to gdb 7.7 and tested it out. I think all the variables should line up now… Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Regards

March 28, 2014

Yes, I’ll recheck with the next build.

• Anthony Novak says:

April 6, 2014

Hi Anastasia

Just wanted to say thanks for the EAP. It may only be a beta build, but in my opinion, its already probably better than most of the other C++ IDE environments on Linux.

Cheers

61. ss says:

March 5, 2014

I’m running C++ IDE EAP 2. When trying to Debug a program it reports “MacPorts with GDB not installed”.

I use Homebrew and I got gdb 7.7 installed on my Mac.

Do I really need MacPorts? Or is there a way I can tell C++ IDE to pick up the gdb installed by Homebrew?

March 5, 2014

Right now yes, you need MacPorts for debugging in second preview of C++ IDE. Homebrew support will be included into the next build.

62. Michael Malyshev says:

March 5, 2014

Voting up for:

1. JAVA+JNI (for android developers) debuggin in one IDE
    2. Support for Linux Kernel Kconfig files and regular Makefile’s. There is no ANY IDE supporting Linux kernel development. Be the first one!

63. Sunny says:

March 8, 2014

Will there be a plugin for supporting C# within the IDE as well? Or one for IntelliJ?

March 10, 2014

We don’t have such plans now and for the nearest future.

64. Nate Brunette says:

March 9, 2014

Will obj-c support be available within this IDE as well?

March 10, 2014

What’s the case for this? Obj-C usually means Xcode projects and OS X/iOS specific projects. So AppCode goes for it. And it has C/C++ languages support.

65. Ashkan says:

March 10, 2014

Hi,
    Is there a time frame on when C++ IDE is going to be released?

March 10, 2014

Right now no specific dates and time frames are available. We’ve started private preview builds recently. After handling all the private builds iterations and the feedback we will prepare the roadmap for public EAP that will be influenced by the feedback greatly.

66. mufasa says:

March 11, 2014

Signed up for the EAP and got denied because of my environment – not sure which element of my environment was the issue. But, man, was I blown.

Does this mean I need to wait for the public EAP or will I get an awesome email some day about how it will now work with my environment and I can try the private EAP out?

March 11, 2014

Looks like your build system is unsupported now. So you won’t be able to open your project in C++ IDE current build. Other build systems are in plans but I can’t promise you any particular build or date right now.

67. Anindya Chatterjee says:

March 13, 2014

Does the current build support plain old C now?

March 13, 2014

Yes, it does.

68. Sam says:

March 19, 2014

Will there be a way to have this bundled into the ultimate release? I have a project that has various facets including C++. I would prefer to have them all recognized inside the same IDE instead of being required to run another just for C++.

March 20, 2014

• Sam says:

March 27, 2014

Ok that would be valuable. I wasn’t recommending that the ultimate version should just have it added freely, although this would be nice, if the C++ support is done well I understand the need for an additional cost and it is something many of us have been waiting for awhile.

Considering whatever reasons please, keep in mind a way to have it accessible through one IDE in the future.

• Tomáš Bílek says:

March 27, 2014

Absolutely agree. Additional cost are acceptable and fair. But please make as plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.

69. CVVS says:

March 25, 2014

If I can run it on FreeBSD–which, like OSX, uses clang as it’s compiler–without Linux emulation, I’ll be all over this.

If I can run it with linux emulation, I’ll still be tempted.

70. Rahul says:

March 27, 2014

I signed up for the private EAP with multiple platforms (OSX and Linux) but got an email saying that your build environment isn’t supported. The message I wanted to send out was that I was willing to test it under any OS to make it better. I am reading comments that the first EAP is out on Linux. Is there anyway I can get access to it? Thanks.

March 28, 2014

No, first build supports all the platforms (Linux, OS X, Windows). But it is limited with the build system (CMake only), compilers (GCC and Clang), debugger (GDB7), some libraries limitations and language dialects also.

• Rahul says:

March 28, 2014

Hi Anastasia,
        Linux-GCC-GDB7 or OSX-Clang combinations are the only features that I am currently looking for. Is there a way I can get access to download a build? Thanks again.

March 28, 2014

Unfortunately, your pointed build system is unsupported yet.

• Rahul says:

March 28, 2014

Thanks Anastasia. I use Make for building, but it won’t bother me if its not integrated within. Hope that convinces you. I just like the IDE way too much. :).
            Thanks again.

March 28, 2014

The problem is that you won’t be able even to open a project in C++ IDE without CMake files describing a project cause right now IDE uses them as project files.

71. Rahul says:

March 28, 2014

I see. Yes, then what would be an issue. I hope its not a long wait before I can access a build. Thanks.

72. Hampus Rosencrantz says:

April 16, 2014

Will this IDE support Linux? Would love to see a IDE for Linux

April 16, 2014

Yes, it’s cross platform one. So Linux, Windows, OS X.

73. zeller says:

April 17, 2014

A c++ plugin version was already asked by many. But would it be possible to make all intellij IDEs available as plugins? Just as with eclipse. So if I need c++ and python, or APL with ruby I just switch perspectives?

April 17, 2014

A lot of thing are already available via plugins. C++ IDE supports JS, HTML, CSS, XML. We will consider switching the Python plugin on. And all others can be also discussed.

74. zym says:

April 17, 2014

Will this IDE support remote develop?(just like the NetBeans’ Remote Development Mode)
    So we can run this IDE on a laptop running Windows and edit/compile/debug our projects storing in the remote server using ssh as the communication method.

thanks.

April 17, 2014

Not the first release. But we can consider it later.

75. David Son says:

April 17, 2014

Hello. Is it too late to sign up? Thanks. David

April 18, 2014

I’m afraid yes. We have quite many developers who have filled the form. And very limited resources. So please wait till the public EAP.

76. steve says:

April 19, 2014

will this IDE support CUDA and OpenGL?

April 20, 2014

What do you mean? Just libraries?

• steve says:

April 22, 2014

syntax recognition.
        project templates.
        yes libraries . with note to thrust.
        debugging.

April 22, 2014

Syntax recognition, debugging – will be more or less working. Project templates is a question of future features to introduce in further releases. Can be considered.

• steve says:

April 22, 2014

sorry couldn’t edit the post. didn’t want a double post. but also should be able to compile CUDA code. i also haven’t heard anything concerning LLVM. are there plans for that?

April 22, 2014

In fact all these specific features will be considered discussed after first release. You will be able to fill the feature requests in our tracker when the public EAP comes and vote for them to increase the priority. We will follow the list.

77. Mufasa says:

April 19, 2014

It is getting soooo hard to wait for the public EAP. Like the other JetBrains products, will the IDE feature IdeaVim?

April 20, 2014

This is some reasonable feature request that we consider. The priority will depends on voting in tracker when the public release come (if we don’t do it earlier).

• Mufasa says:

April 22, 2014

Is there any way I could contribute to this or help? This really is a must-have feature for me. I practically don’t use anything unless there is a vim plugin (firefox even has its vimperator plugin). Vim drastically increases my productivity – it would be hard to live without it.

April 22, 2014

Just wait now for the public EAP and vote for the feature if it’s not there already.

• Mufasa says:

April 22, 2014

Waiting is hard. :p

78. Dmytro says:

April 21, 2014

When it will be available for Windows or Linux?

April 21, 2014

Sure. It’s cross platform.

79. Yurij says:

April 22, 2014

Have you already got a release schedule?

April 22, 2014

Not yet, we are running private builds evaluation still. After finishing will start working over public EAP.

• Sean says:

April 22, 2014

Is there anyway I can get on the EAP for this? I am currently using AppCode (first build project in XCode) and then load in AppCode. Mostly for C/C++, usually as extension modules for Lua, Python, Java, etc. so I’ll have PyCharm and AppCode open at the same time for the same project.

What I would really like is to be able to do “Open Directory” on the root of a C/C++ codebase and have it just figure everything out.

April 23, 2014

Now you will need PyCharm for Python with the C++ IDE either.

80. Alexey Ananyev says:

April 22, 2014

Скажите пожалуйста, как скоро у вас закончится приватное тестирование и появится публичный билд? Хотябы примерные сроки.
    И будет ли какое то дополнение по сравнению с намеченными в начале что должно быть в билде первом?
    И как я понял что приватное тестирование проходит только для виндузятников, почему так?
    Спасибо.

• Yurij says:

April 23, 2014

Я не уверен, но подозреваю, что приватное тестирование не только на винде. Если глянуть в issue tracker (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues?q=project%3A+%7BC%2B%2B+IDE%7D ), то легко можно найти баги найденные для Ubuntu.

April 23, 2014

Приватные билды выпущены для всех трех платформ.
      В публичном билде будет оринетировочно тот же набор – CMake + GCC/Clang + GDB. Возможны какие-то дополнения по фичам по мотивам приватного тестирования, но вряд ли сильно/принципиально поменяется основной набор. Скорее он будет дорабатываться и улучшаться.
      Сроков пока не могу сказать. Пока у нас есть еще желание выпустить несколько приватных билдов.

• Alexey Ananyev says:

April 23, 2014

Возможно ли подать повторно на участие в тестировании последующего билда? Я использую только линукс.
        И я так понимаю когда уже будут доставлятся какие то фичи то они будут уже с официальным билдом работать, не с приватным?

April 23, 2014

У нас и так довольно много желающих. Поэтому вряд ли мы будем организовывать повторный опрос. Если следующий приватный билд будет подходить под Ваше окружение, мы Вам его пришлем.
          Приватный билд тоже непрерывно развивается, в нем фиксятся проблемы, добавляются новые фичи и пр. В общем обычный рабочий процесс идет.

81. ss says:

April 25, 2014

EAP 3 of the C++ IDE stopped working saying “The build of Cppide has expired.”

EAP 3 itself was good enough that I was using it for day to day C++ development. Now I’m stuck. Please help!

April 25, 2014

Sorry. We were so busy with the AppCode EAP that missed the date a bit. But we will definitely send the 4th today. Please, wait.

• ss says:

April 25, 2014

Thanks Anastasia. With the day coming to a close in Russia, will you still be sending out the 4th today?

April 25, 2014

We are really working hard now and hope to achieve. Will try to cope today. If not then on Monday.

82. Alvaro Luis Bustamante says:

April 25, 2014

I just want to test the JetBrains version! I am tired of using eclipse for C++ but using the stunning pycharm, intellij, android studio, phpstorm… please! send me a copy for mac!

April 25, 2014

You’ve filled in the survey you are using GNU make, aren’t you?

83. Thomas Pliakas says:

April 26, 2014

Hello,
    when it is expected the eap public version. I filled the survey and you reply to me that for alpha version I was not nominated.

Best Regards
    Thomas

April 26, 2014

Hello Thomas,
      We haven’t sent you a private build mainly because of your build system. C++ IDE for now doesn’t support GNU Make. It’s only CMake and its needed to open a project in the IDE.

We will start preparing public EAP after we finish private builds evaluation. Unfortunately no exact dates at this point.

84. alex says:

April 26, 2014

Really happy IntelliJ for C++ is on the way. Consider this post moral support!

85. Anders Oland says:

April 30, 2014

Yeeeeees! I’ve been forced to use Eclipse on Ubuntu recently, and I miss IntelliJ / AppCode / ReSharper so much. Even the simplest refactoring is such a pain in the butt. Keep up the good work guys 🙂

86. Yurij says:

May 3, 2014

Dear Jetbrains, how much the IDE will cost?

May 3, 2014

This information will be available closer to public EAP.

• Mufasa says:

May 4, 2014

Whatever it is, it will be worth it. Jet brains products are second to none.

If I wrote a haiku on how great life will be when the public EAP arrives, will it come any earlier?

May 4, 2014

It will be really cool =) And may be even inspire the team!
          Seriously speaking we are working hard and just trying to follow our own standards regarding the IDEs. We have a lot of important issues and things to implement after collecting the feedback. And still are going to continue with private builds a bit and then will start working on the public EAP. So please be patient and let us develop a great IDE that every C/C++ developer deserves.

• Yurij says:

May 5, 2014

In my humble opinion, some of us do not need very great c++ IDE. we become happy with just favorite IDEA + ability to switch onto declared functions, variables, templates + launch compiler from the IDE, without any refactorings and other mega-super-cool-features.

87. On the *nix systems what is the best Visual Studio like IDE? - Quora says:

May 4, 2014

[…] Paraz, Computer Science amateurComputer Science amateur IntelliJ, though no C++ support yet. See:https://blog.jetbrains.com/objc/2…Embed QuoteUpvote • Comment Loading… • Just now 2  Sanjay Kumar, StudentStudent […]

88. Mufasa says:

May 7, 2014

Here it is (IANAP (poet)). Be inspired JetBrains – we’re anxiously waiting!

Into the black night
    willingly caught by my art
    my perfect easel

May 7, 2014

Thanks =)

89. Yirui says:

May 10, 2014

If I bought Intellij IDEA before, can I just buy a plugin to get all functionality of the C++ IDE?

May 11, 2014

The plugin is not our top-priority. So first only a stand-alone IDE will be available. Later we will consider the plugin development also.

• Yirui says:

May 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply. When will it be ready? I have been waiting for this IDE for a long time 🙂

May 16, 2014

We don’t have any particular estimations now. We will when we are ready.

90. Leo Zulfiu says:

May 14, 2014

Hello

Will the IDE support Evaluate Expression?

May 15, 2014

Yes, should be.

91. Brian Vollmer says:

May 16, 2014

I’d love to get my hands on a preview build if possible. We have a commercial C++ product that builds on Windows, OS X, and Linux. Although I’m not overly thrilled with the IDE’s on any of the 3 platforms, right now Linux is the worst for us in terms of tooling. Any chance you’ll support WAF? So far WAF has been the highpoint of porting our code-base to Linux in my opinion. I’ve looked some at CMake and it seems like a painful step backwards from WAF.

May 16, 2014

We’ve selected CMake for the 1.0 release as the most popular and used build system for C/C++ projects. But of course we’ll support more (why not to consider WAF also?) but in further releases.

92. Bajee says:

May 21, 2014

Hi,

Epic’s Unreal Engine is soon coming to Linux. Currently they support VS on Windows and Xcode on OS X. I really hope you can release the first public EAP in time, when that happens 🙂

93. Adrian Scripca says:

May 21, 2014

I’m waiting for it since the very first mention on teh internetz! Please don’t prolong my agony! I subscribed for the early preview but I received a mail after a couple of months that unfortunatelly the platform I was aiming for (linux) was not to be included in the first early release. I did try AppCode, liked it but I’m still waiting for the real deal here!
    Don’t let me crave, please 🙂 And yes, I’m a legit IntelliJ Idea user.

May 21, 2014

Hello, where do you find the information that Linux will not be supported in the first release of C++ IDE? It’s written here in this post that it does already. The supported set is CMake+GCC/Clang+GDB7. And you are using GNU Make, Clang and GDB6 as you’ve filled.
      We will publish the public EAP as soon as we are ready with it. We still have a lot to do. Please, be patient.

• Adrian Scripca says:

May 22, 2014

Thank you, Anastasia. You surely know how to make a man happy 🙂 I’ll keep waiting for the EAP.

94. Sean Harvell says:

May 24, 2014

Its been better than a year teaser now, not sure if its actually going to happen :/.. If not golang would be awesome (the contributor plugin is already awesome)… Has a bit more traction at the moment.. and “linux not to be included in the first early release”? why?

• Anton Makeev says:

May 25, 2014

Sean, we’ve never stated that Linux will not be included; on the contrary, from the early stages we target all major OSes, Windows, OS X and Linux.
      However, we won’t do that, until we sure that both, quality and performance are up to the expectation.

• Mufasa says:

May 25, 2014

Music to my ears:

“We do understand that your patience can’t be stretched indefinitely and are doing our best to open public prevue asap.”

• Sad says:

May 27, 2014

That is not a music, if you’ll try to analyse issue tracker on how many bugs and how many guys works on them, you’ll hear no music at all.

• Mufasa says:

May 30, 2014

Shiitttttt. I would so contribute to this project if I could.

95. Mufasa says:

May 26, 2014

Will there be GLSL support like in AppCode?

• Anton Makeev says:

May 27, 2014

GLSL plugin is a platform plugin and available in all products, including not-yet-existing

• mufasa says:

May 27, 2014

Sweet! Thx!

96. Johan Dahlberg says:

May 28, 2014

Is it possible to get access to the EAP? I am using Linux+CMake+GCC.

May 28, 2014

Unfortunately, not now. We already have quite many developers (we were really impressed with the total number!) filled the survey form and so requested the preview build for testing and evaluation. And our resources are limited so we suggest you to wait till the public EAP.

97. Murat Can says:

May 29, 2014

Can’t Wait !!!! Wonderful news…..JetBrains For Ever !

98. Mufasa says:

May 30, 2014

Just out of curiousity – can you share how much traffic this webpage gets? Because I must be coming here like every other day to see if there are any updates. And I’m wondering if I’m just insane or if other people are just as excited as I am.

• Patrick says:

June 2, 2014

Oh I’ve been checking back here every day too. I’m pretty excited. Was telling my co-worker “Hey you know Jetbrains is coming out with a C++ IDE right?” And he responded “Yes I know, can’t wait.”

It’s like a highly anticipated movie for me. haha

99. Nick-Lennart Völker says:

May 30, 2014

Can you give a rough timespan in which the public preview will be available?
    Within the next weeks, months or next year?
    Can’t wait! I have to use Visual Studio at the moment because my co-worker only have windows… 🙁

Thanks,
    Nick!

May 30, 2014

We don’t have any particular estimations. Hope to have public EAP till the end of the year but can’t be 100% sure.

• Sad says:

May 31, 2014

Ha-ha-ha. Good 30th May joke!

• pythoneer says:

June 5, 2014

OMG i’m dying a cruel death if i had to wait till next year 😉

• Alex says:

June 11, 2014

Android Studio is out there, and has been for some time, buggy as hell but getting better with every release. I’m happy with VS on Windows, but unless you pony up for VS2013 you have next to no C++11 support. On Linux there’s Eclipse (ugh) or Netbeans. Please don’t make me use Netbeans for much longer!

• pythoneer says:

August 14, 2014

I am using Android Studio right now and even if there are some glitches, there is not much to get me back to eclipse 😀

• Gwyn Evans says:

June 19, 2014

Do you mean ‘private EAP’ or ‘before the end of the year’, perhaps?

Any news on an ETA for the ‘public’ EAP? (As a Java coder switched to C, I miss the features that I had when using IntelliJ!)

• Anton Makeev says:

June 21, 2014

Gwyn, as Anastasia wrote, we’ll do our best to deliver public EAP this year, but we can’t commit on that, since there are still a number of technical challenges to deal with.

100. Mr.ObviousFakeName says:

June 4, 2014

Wouldn’t it be better to use the CLang Compiler instead of the GCC as CLang is also compilant with VSC++ libs?

June 4, 2014

C++ IDE supports both: Clang and GCC, with output parsing. And the IDE analyser that we’ve implemented is based on Clang.

• Dave Yost says:

July 8, 2014

Hurray!

• Dave Yost says:

July 8, 2014

Hurray! Please open up EAP, like, yesterday!

101. Anton says:

June 11, 2014

+1 for remote development. Please give me a chance to switch from NetBeans to build and debug on remote host with IDE, that is actually IDE.

102. Muztaba says:

June 19, 2014

that’s cool.
    will it available for trail period or free version like intelij community version ?

• Anton Makeev says:

June 21, 2014

There definitely will be a trial version as with all JetBrains’s products.
      As for the free versions, it’s too early to say

103. Jie says:

June 20, 2014

When will the IDE be released? We have been waiting for so long. 🙁

• Janos Seteny says:

June 30, 2014

• Excited says:

July 16, 2014

104. Janos Seteny says:

June 30, 2014

105. jonnie savell says:

July 3, 2014

wow. this is turning out to be a moon-shot.

i know that big projects take time, but do you know what it feels like waiting for a moon-shot?

i had no grey hairs when this product was first announced. now? ouch.

Sincerely,
    jonnie savell

106. jonnie savell says:

July 3, 2014

request for feature: immediate release

107. Dawid M says:

July 3, 2014

I can’t wait for this. Any update on the project’s timeline?

July 4, 2014

We’ll publish news and updates as soon as we have them. Please, be patient. We are working hard to deliver the public EAP asap.

108. Sad says:

July 10, 2014

how much money does cost to get private eap?

• Ivan says:

July 14, 2014

• majkl says:

July 18, 2014

• disgruntled c++ coder says:

July 28, 2014

+10
      Seriously… let us pay for a private EAP…
      Not too many companies have people banging at the door asking to pay for a pre-beta early-version of their products.
      Take advantage of it … and let us pay to get the EAP now in whatever state it is 🙂

July 29, 2014

Right now we’ve collected a lot of feedback and so need to process it. Then we’ll be ready to open the public EAP. Please, be patient.

109. subfuzion says:

July 14, 2014

Eagerly anticipating this…

110. ss says:

July 19, 2014

July EAP is substantially slower than the June EAP. Will there be an update to this EAP before August? Thanks.

July 21, 2014

Could you please provide some description of the particular cases, and may be CPU snapshots to the tracker or support (appcode-support at jet brains.com)?

111. andrei says:

July 24, 2014

will there be a community edition? also, any new updates on the release schedule?

July 25, 2014

For the first release no. But later we will consider this option too, probably. We really want to start public EAP asap. But first we’d like to be sure that both performance and quality are up to the expectations. We have some work to be done there. Public EAP should come during Fall.

• alfred says:

August 11, 2014

is “Fall” still looking achievable? or is it more like winter now?

August 11, 2014

We hope Public EAP will be opened in Fall. But we can’t give guarantees.

112. San says:

August 12, 2014

shut up and take my money

• disgruntled c++ coder says:

August 14, 2014

it’s been more than a year (I think) since we all got our hopes up.
      I can see the tension rising…
      It’s so funny to see so many people just begging JetBrains to take their money and give them something…. anything….
      It probably shows you how bad the c++ IDEs are right now

113. Excited says:

August 13, 2014

still excited !!!

114. Andrew says:

August 18, 2014

A wizard for implementing extern C bindings for C++ would be cool

I also think Vagrant support would be good

May be with the above, methods to compile and test automatically in virtual machines e.g Complie in a Windows VM on a Mac

115. Jenson says:

August 25, 2014

When will the public EAP be released?

August 25, 2014

We hope to open it during early Autumn time.

• Jenson says:

August 25, 2014

ye.really hope it.

116. Binshuo Hu says:

August 26, 2014

Make me pay, please.

P.S. Hope the C++ IDE can give C++14 full support in near future.

August 26, 2014

C++11 is definitely included. C++14 will also come, may be not from very first EAP or release.

117. Aaron Kulbe says:

August 26, 2014

I would LOVE to pay for access to the EAP right now. Where do I go? How much do you want? Seriously. 🙂

August 26, 2014

We’ll start a public EAP during early Autumn time. Be patient, please. It’s not a long time to wait.

• hxm says:

August 29, 2014

It is just one week to mid autumn (festival). Hope I can see it in this week or early September.

Jetbrains alway has the best IDEs.

118. Greg says:

August 28, 2014

I’m also very excited about this project. Hope to be notified at once as soon as public EAP is available. Thank you and good luck!

119. Jenson says:

August 29, 2014

hey guys,i can’t wait any more. open the public eap ,please.

120. Alexey Ananyev says:

August 31, 2014

Анастасия, скажите пожалуйста а будут ли ваши продукты добавлятся в Центр приложений в Ubuntu? Веть это было бы очень удобно и быстрее для тех кто использует не один ваш проект.
    С нетерпением жду релиза CLion.

August 31, 2014

Интересное предложение. В будущем можем рассмотреть такой вариант.

• Alexey Ananyev says:

August 31, 2014

Скажите а сколько еще примерно будет приватных тестов? То есть как скоро можно ждать релиза? хотя бы приблизительно)

August 31, 2014

Как будем готовы, так и выпустим) Пока что на начало осени планируется публичный EAP.

• Alexey Ananyev says:

August 31, 2014

Еще хотел бы спросить, какие плюшки планируются в релиз добавить и что будет после? То есть интересует в частности wxWidgets, QT ну и проекты нацеленные на OpenGL. Знаю что вам такие вопросы задают где то и не мало, вопрос дял себя задаю)
            Спасибо.

121. Jenson says:

September 1, 2014

guys.September now…it’s time to release the public eap.

122. Bluce says:

September 2, 2014

when the public eap be released? many days?

September 2, 2014

It will happen during the early Autumn time.

123. John says:

September 2, 2014

Will you support Qt/other libraries auto completion?

September 3, 2014

Yes, these libraries are already parsed and resolved correctly in most cases. Though some issues are possible in the EAP versions.

124. Sunny says:

September 3, 2014

Will we also be allowed to make C programs? Like in VS, you can just change the file ending from cpp to c and it works, would it be the same here?

September 3, 2014

Yes, it’s C and C++ IDE.

• Sunny says:

September 3, 2014

That’s great! I am a proud owner of PhpStorm, Pycharm, and IntelliJ for my various programming needs. Definitely looking forward to doing C programming in a JetBrains IDE as i am tired of using VS. Nothing beats the darcula theme 🙂

September 3, 2014

You can also use web languages like HTML, XML, CSS, JS and some other languages via plugins, like Lua for example.

• Bluce says:

September 3, 2014

really want to know when the eap be released.it’s autumn now ,pealse.

125. Gorge says:

September 4, 2014

why not release the eap yet?

September 4, 2014

Public EAP will be opened soon. Please, be patient.

126. lktc420 says:

September 4, 2014

hi, im working with chromium projects, and it’s huge(100000+ files), now i use sublime text to navigate and edit, the goto function is very limit.

i wonder if your c++ ide will support this situation, lots of code, but maybe just a part of them will import to editor(in st, i will add some folders, not all codes), and compile is absolutely in cmd line.

thanks!

September 5, 2014

If there will be a proper CMakeLists.txt file then probably yes. You’ll get the chance to try really soon. Stay tuned!

• bvbfan says:

September 8, 2014

KDevelop or Kate+CTags are great for big projects

127. Vaibhav Kaushal says:

September 6, 2014

You know, I was going to ask why Jetbrains does not have a C/C++ IDE and then I came across this page. It’s amazing to know. I’m already using PhpStorm and I guess the C/C++ IDE you guys are making would be as good as PhpStorm 😀

128. super_cocoa says:

September 8, 2014

guys CLion can play now!

• disgruntled c++ coder says:

September 12, 2014

I’m so happy I think I’m going to cry….

129. Jenson says:

September 9, 2014

thanks .

130. Jenson says:

September 9, 2014

why clion can’t runup on windows8 X64.

• Jenson says:

September 9, 2014

OS:win8 x 64 ,cygwin2.738,jdk1.8.0_05

September 9, 2014

Please report this to our support mail (clion-support at jetbrains.com), or to our tracker: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/CPP. We’ll try to help you.

• Jenson says:

September 9, 2014

what’s the mail please .

September 9, 2014

clion-support at jetbrains.com

• Jenson says:

September 10, 2014

thanks,already send

131. Smith says:

September 15, 2014

A good thing would be some sort of support for QT as well.

132. liang says:

September 25, 2014

Thanks. I am using VS2013 for image analysis algorithm and application development.
    The debug tool of VS2013 is very good. It shows a lot of information, which is very very important for algorithm debug.

I just hope JetBrains C++ IDE can be as good as visual studio

133. Erik says:

September 26, 2014

It would be really nice that clion could support point cloud library and Kinect sdk development

134. Thomas says:

October 29, 2014

I’m missing there the different Project types like in Codeblocks.
    Currently it seems like it’s developed most likely for console applications.
    In Codeblocks you’re able to create Projects for wxWidgets, QT ,GTK+, OpenCV, static libraries and some more.
    In Codeblocks exists also a GUI designer.

This are just some reasons why I wont use Clion.

Regards Thomas

October 29, 2014

All these project types can be achieved with the appropriate CMake files. You can set library targets and many others. CLion don’t have separate UI for this now but you can fill a feature request in our tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/CPP

135. Roman says:

November 16, 2014

Hi guys!
    Let me share my impression of your new “intelligent” IDE.
    First off, my project is big (~600 KLoC). And the IDE didn’t cope with this entire code base. It ran out of memory. Expected. But then I spent a couple of hours to separate one component from that big project to scrutinize its logic in the debugger.
    That’s what I actually saw after launching CLion.
    Configure CMake and GDB:
    CMake executable (two options):
    – Use bundled CMake (null)
    – Use specified
    GDB executable (two options):
    – Use bundled GDB (unknown)
    – Use specified
    So the very first and obvious question:
    What have you bundled with your IDE, that appears either null or unknown? Don’t your agree that it is completely useless?
    Then I switched both the options to use specified. And, amazingly, the IDE said that both the tools are not found. Well both, my cmake and gdb, reside in /usr/bin/ directory. And… I hope you know what my complaint is about. They must have been found by the “intelligent” IDE as they are placed in the most obvious place.
    Then I was diligent enough and typed the full paths manually:
    /usr/bin/cmake
    /usr/bin/gdb
    And than I got this:
    GDB: unsupported version (GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7-0ubuntu3) 7.7)

So Still no one has managed to create a decent C++ IDE. I have to admit that Microsoft’s Visual Studio is the best one, although it has a lot of flaws, and I personally dislike Microsoft. So it appears I have to develop a decent C++ IDE myself.

November 17, 2014

Could you please describe the environment you are working in?
      CLion supports GDB starting from version 7.8 (as it’s pointed here: https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/quickstart/, you can also check the other requirements there).
      Also please switch on the logs in Help | Configure debug log settings, add “#com.jetbrains.cidr.cpp” there, restart and open Settings | Toolchain page. Then provide us the log from Help | Show log.