Password Safe

IntelliJ IDEA 9.0.3 brings you a new feature that simplifies storing of your credentials: Password Safe. With it, you can store passwords, encrypted with master password in IntelliJ IDEA either permanently in application settings, or temporary, in memory until you close IntelliJ IDEA.

Password Safe

Passwords in memory are stored while you are working with IntelliJ IDEA, if disk storage is selected, passwords are encrypted and stored in a database. Before database is accessed for the first time, a master password is requested. It is also possible to change master password or reset it, but then you are losing all passwords encrypted with password you are resetting.

Note that on Windows systems there is an option to encrypt master password using user credentials. This is less secure, but more convenient option. In which case master password is stored in an encrypted form in the application settings, and it can be accessed by any application that is run from under this user account. The value of this option can be specified using reset and change password dialog.

Password Safe Dialog

Git integration uses this functionality to store SSH passwords and passphrases. If your plugin needs to store passwords, you can make use of the PasswordSafe component or just use PasswordSafePromptDialog that automatically remembers entered passwords in the password database.

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Password Safe

1. Oleg says:

Hello,

I didn’t find any possibility to save all passwords persistent (on the disk), but avoid password asking while application startup. IntelliJ asks the master password every time if I start it. It’s annoying. How can we avoid the prompt dialog?

Thanks in advance.

2. Johnny says:

I agree with Oleg, being prompted at startup screws up my normal “boot routine”….start intellij…go get coffee… Now I’m required to input something halfway thru start up.

3. Dan says:

This should be optional…

4. Chris says:

Please, for the love of god, make this optional. It pops up constantly all day because I use an empty password. I’m way beyond tired of it. If I was really concerned about people getting my perforce password I would encrypt my entire user account, not use this thing. It’s a neat feature, but I have no interest in it and there should be some way to turn it off.

5. Dennis Cairns says:

There are two IDE settings that seem to not work at all. I am using a MAC (Snow Leopard). I have reported this in YouTrack for the last 7 EAP releases. Please fix!

1. Editor – Colors & Fonts – HTML – Tag: I cannot turn off the background color or change the background color of the Tags. It always defaults to the gray.

2. Editor – General – Console Background: this does not accept any user changes.

6. Matthew Cornell says:

Egor, why don’t you reply?