Charisma EAP -> YouTrack Beta

We’ve got a double dose of breaking news for you today.

First, some of you may have noticed that we had changed logo at our own tracker. This is not without a reason: due to copyright restrictions, we can’t keep the Charisma code name as a long-standing name of the product. Therefore, we’re introducing a new name for JetBrains issue tracker: YouTrack. Yes, it’s official, and effective today.
YouTrack - issue tracker from JetBrains previously known as Charisma
Second, after two years of development and 2.5 months of EAP, we feel we’re ready for a serious milestone. With that in mind, YouTrack goes beta today! Of course, as a full-rate beta product, it gets its very own section at the JetBrains web site. You can download the beta version here — as before, choose between jar and war formats.

If everything goes fine, we should be ready for YouTrack 1.0 release before New Year, but we still need your feedback to go firmly ahead:

Thank you for staying with us, and don’t you leave without downloading!

This entry was posted in release and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Charisma EAP -> YouTrack Beta

1. Craig St. Jean says:

Congrats! I have been very happy with the EAP and will right away suggest piloting YouTrack where I work. We already use ReSharper and TeamCity (unfortunately we don’t use IntelliJ IDEA for our Java work and they are against me using my own license here — oh well still develop with pleasure at home!). As always, great job and keep it up!

2. t800t8 says:

How about the pricing? Hope that it’ll have a Professional version as same as TeamCity.

3. gorohoroh says:

Craig,
    Thanks for your kind words! This is really encouraging.

t800t8,
    We’re still elaborating pricing options. I hope we’ll make an announcement in a couple of weeks but no specific dates yet.

4. Pingback: YouTrack Beta « Gamlor

5. gorohoroh says:

YouTrack Beta « Gamlor:
    Thank you!

6. John Simons says:

Instructions on how to install this on the same machine as TeamCity would be appreciated.

7. daniel says:

Hi,
    I would love a short guides
    * how to get it running on a Windows box – in a Decent way – like Teamcity.
    * what is required to get a Teamcity/Subversion/YouTrack integration
    I like it very much and I hope we will start using it as soon as you have your commercial stuff sorted.
    BR
    Daniel

8. Kristleifur Daðason says:

Congratulations!

If you could make a screencast showing the cool stuff, that would be great.

9. gorohoroh says:

Kristleifur,

Thanks!

We have published four up-to-date short demos at the website (http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/documentation/index.html)

In addition, longer demos are embedded with YouTrack (click the YouTrack logo, then select “Hints”). They are a bit obsolete though, especially in terms of search syntax. We’ll update them for public release.

10. Craig St. Jean says:

Just to comment on what others were saying, I do have YouTrack and TeamCity 5 EAP running on the same machine, and they appear to be integrated just fine. No special configuration necessary to make them both run, then in the administration I just had to reference the TeamCity URL with user and password (after installing the plugin to my .BuildServerplugins directory for TeamCity)

The only thing I really found difficult was adding a user. It took me a long time to realize it had to be done at the login page. Is this incorrect? I much prefer to have it administered, and not where anyone can sign up…

11. gorohoroh says:

John:
    Do you experience any particular problems while trying to install YouTrack on the same machine as TeamCity?

Daniel:
    Thanks for your positive feedback!
    For general installation guidelines, see http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/TSYSPUB/EAP+Build+Installation
    To integrate YouTrack with Subversion through TeamCity, you need to:
    1. Configure Subversion settings in TeamCity (see http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/TCD4/Version+Control+System).
    2. In the YouTrack admin area (http://server:port/teamcityIntegrationSettings), grab the REST plug-in for TeamCity; enter TeamCity installation URL and your user credentials in TeamCity, and create a new mapping between corresponding TeamCity and YouTrack projects.

Craig:
    Thanks for clarifying the YouTrack/TeamCity case for fellow evaluators!
    As to adding users, this is correct, we’re basically assuming that users register themselves and then an admin modifies their permissions. But you can do it for them at the http://server:port/registerUserForm page, and a link from the Users tab in the admin area to the user registration page could help avoid confusion (I’ve reported a request on that matter, http://jetbrains.net/tracker/issue/JT-1628).

12. George Speight says:

Im looking at integrating TeamCity and YouTrack on a single server. I have the REST plug-in…but where do I install it? Do I just extract and copy it to a folder? What folder?

Thanks

13. gorohoroh says:

George,
    See TeamCity help for details.