We’re rolling out a new build of CLion, our forthcoming cross-platform C/C++ IDE.

Thanks to your feedback we get lots of things fixed and improved, especially a bunch of annoying toolchain problems. With this new build check environment functionality becomes smarter and helps you with the missing packets and unsupported versions. This will be especially important for those who have problems with MinGW toolchain on Windows most probably because of the missing libz packet. To make our Windows users even happier we’ve introduced MinGW-W64 support in CLion!

The users with some older Linux distributions will also get the CMake and GDB working out-of-the-box – we’ve bundled the static versions for you.

This build has some really tasty new feature that needs your feedback sooner rather than later. We’ve got a lot of messages from those who’d like to try CLion greatly but can’t do so because of the build-system limitation. CLion still supports only CMake-based projects, but now it’s able to create this CMake project from the existing sources! To give it a try press File | Import Project… or select an Import option on the Welcome wizard. You’ll need to specify the location of the sources, then select project files and include directories:
import_cmake_prj
and you are done! You can now start working with your project in CLion.

We’ve also introduced fixes for some popular exceptions that were reported to us (for example, exceptions while debugging template functions or inline methods of the class) and quite a long list of other fixes and improvements.

Latest build is available on our EAP page. Be sure to check the quick start guide to learn how to quickly get started with CLion.

Let us know what you think — take part in discussions on the forum, and feel free to file bug reports and suggestions in our issue tracker.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains CLion team

This entry was posted in Announcement, Early Access Preview and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to New CLion EAP build: import project from the existing sources, toolchain updates and more

1. wl.nicholas says:

Great! I’m trying out the new release.

2. Steffen says:

Unfortunately, CLion is struggling with my project that uses Boost a lot, it takes a long time until even the syntax highlighting is ready and code completion also takes a long time to actually find suggestions.
    I hope the next versions will be able to resolve some of those issues I am seeing as the IDE looks and feels great and I would very much like to use it in my projects!

Thanks for the hard work,
    Steffen

3. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Hi Anastasia, if you already have a properly setup CMakeLists.txt for Midnight Commander, would you mind sharing it? I’ve just checked out the new EAP and it’s very impressive. Static builds of gdb / cmake actually work, lots for glitches gone, and indeed it is able to generate projects from source. However, I need to learn enough CMake to add e.g. the “lib” directory to the search path, etc., because with the autogenerated project file CLion fails to resolve pretty much anything as we are using relative includes… Thanks!

4. skull says:

当代码行数有几千行时,输入首字母时,软件会卡住;输入.等要索引的关键符号的时候,也会卡住,而且会卡30秒左右,mac发热量很大

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Do you mean the performance problems with CLion?

• skull says:

Yes.Actually, what i say is Steffen mentioned above.When Clion face to a large project which a page with thousands lines of code,it takes a long time to find suggestions at least 30 seconds,looks like no any response.Then the Mac has become very hot.I really want to record a video for you .This problem is affecting the use of.

5. Pajinate says:

I love CLion!

The EAP builds are only available for 60 days. When is the next build expected to be released? If a new one wont be available before November 28th, is there any way to extend the current license?

6. Michael Schwartz says:

My primary use case is Mac as host operating system with a VirtualBox linux instance as the target.

The Linux headers are not available on the host Mac filesystem. The compiler is GCC inside the guest Linux.

I want to edit using Mac UI and my other tools outside of CLion.

I suspect many others will find a setup that works for this kind of environment to be of great use. Get this right and people will be able to edit/compile/debug on any remote Linux/BSD/whatever server from Windows host or OS X host.

7. Subhamoy Sengupta says:

This looks like a pretty impressive project :) I was trying to import some of my existing CMake projects into CLion. I had multiple toolchains for cross-compiling. I could not find an option to load the toolchain I wanted, so the compiler flags were set according to CLion defaults, not to my choosing. Any solution for this?

Also, if I do not want to use LLVM/CLang and CLang specific tools like ‘modernize’ and ‘coverage’, for example, is that possible? Thanks in advance!

• Subhamoy Sengupta says:

Sorry, made a mistae. I meant ‘if I want to use LLVM/CLang…’ Sorry for that.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thank you for the feedback. In general cross-compilation is not ready yet (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-871), but still you can set it through the CMake and in case of gcc-based compilers, it will work correctly in CLion. So just set the toolchain in CMake properly. CLion takes all the information from CMake files.

Clang can be used as a compiler as well, some specific tools can be run through the integrated terminal or pre-/post- build phase scripts, but no integration in CLion for them now.

8. Vlad Sergeev says:

I really like the IDE, however i have a bit of an issue with how long it takes for a debugging session to start (if it starts at all). I am running one google test, breakpoint on the first line of the test. This is a bit of a show-stopper.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Vlad, could you please collect debug logs (Help | Configure Debug Log | Add #com.jetbrains.cidr.execution.debugger) while starting a session and send to us (logs can be found in Help | Show Log) to clion-support at jetbrains.com? If you could also attach some sample project this would be great as well. This can help us a lot in investigation, thanks.