CLion 2017.1 Release Candidate

Posted on by Anastasia Kazakova

Hi,

Today we are glad to announce CLion 2017.1 Release Candidate (build 171.3780.43). As we are approaching the final steps towards the CLion 2017.1 release, we kindly ask you to share your feedback and comments with us and report any bug at all to our tracker.

Download CLion 2017.1 Release Candidate

If you use GCC as a compiler and have precompiled headers in your project, you’ll be glad to know that since now CLion can correctly resolve symbols from PCH in this case (CPP-8729).

Release notes are available by the link.

Your CLion Team

JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

Comments below can no longer be edited.

13 Responses to CLion 2017.1 Release Candidate

1. John Doe says:

March 15, 2017

Great version, but there is still a way to go

Top 3 missing features in clion that are in resharper c++:
    -Search in text (ctrl+T,T,T)
    -Postfix function completions (treating free functions as extension functions)
    -Parameter info also showing the return type

2. Olof says:

March 15, 2017

So the release is coming soon, which is cool. Which means a new road map.

I’d like to bang my drum for what matters for me. Maybe there’s others that have the same situation?

I develop on Linux servers but my workstation is windows and using X-Windows and using the vim plugin.

I have only two concerns. Responsiveness and C++14 (for now) correctness.

The main concern is responsiveness. Freezes and general slowness is the biggest problem that I have. I have voted for remote tool-chain in the past but the reason is responsiveness and I suspect that a local GUI will feel more responsive, but if that’s wrong, then the remote tool-chain doesn’t matter much for me.

The second is anything related to C++ correctness for warnings (red squigglies) and refactoring. Refactoring and my confidence that CLion eventually becoming the best refactoring environment for C++ based on Jetbrains ReSharper history. However I typically still use search and replace for refactorings because the refactorings are so unreliable.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 15, 2017

Thanks, Olof. We’ll take your comment into account.
      Are the problems with the refactorings logged into our tracker?

• Olof says:

March 15, 2017

I don’t know. I feel that they would be so hard to reproduce that I can’t report issues. I don’t know what it is that makes something break. I just know that it happens quite a bit with my source code. I’ve tried a few times to reproduce with minimal and neutral code but I haven’t been able to.

I don’t know the difficulties with writing refactoring tools but my best idea is taking large open source projects and just try refactoring and hunt squigglies. Or maybe court open source projects which have a much easier time reporting issues because they can share their source code?

I’m sorry I can’t be of better help.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 15, 2017

Thank you anyway. Yes, we do test on various OS projects and sample our users share with us. And we have issues around refactorings in our tracker that we are working on. So hopefully, for you it will become better as well.

• Olof says:

March 16, 2017

Thank you. I’m confident that CLion will become the premier C++ IDE with regards to refactorings.

PS.
            Any idea when Idea-VIM 0.49 will be released? I’m hoping that it using the new zero latency API will make editing more zippy.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 16, 2017

I’ll check out and let you know a bit later.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 16, 2017

It’s going to come soon after 2017.1 release.

• Olof says:

March 16, 2017

Here’s an example of something that resolves differently between gcc 5.4.0 and CLion.

I have a file that includes and then in the code I use std::log2 and that doesn’t resolve (log2 is red), but it compiles.

• Olof says:

March 16, 2017

includes cmath.

That fell off because I was using less than, greater than.

• Olof says:

March 16, 2017

Disregard the std::log report. It was user error.

Sorry about that.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 16, 2017

Ok, no problem. Let us know if smth goes wrong in CLion for you.