CLion 2018.1.1 EAP

We are glad to announce the start of Early Access Preview for CLion 2018.1.1, a bug-fix update to the recently released major CLion update. Build 181.4445.17 is now available.

Please, note that this EAP build requires an active subscription (or you can start a 30-day evaluation period).

Download CLion 2018.1.1 EAP

• C++ support

The biggest improvement is a fix for CPP-12079 and related issues:

• Incorrect parsing of unordered_map
    • Incorrect resolving of shared_ptr with a forward declaration
    • Incorrect parsing of unique_ptr in some cases
    • Incorrect red code highlighting in projects with libxml2
    • And some more similar and duplicated issues linked to it in our tracker
  • WSL-related issue, when the CMake project loading can take forever (CPP-12519), was addresses in this EAP build.
  • This build fixes a couple of cases when “Typeahead timeout is exceeded” exception was caught (IDEA-187808).
  • GDB debugger

There us a bunch of issues fixed there. The main one is related to STL containers that were not updated during stepping, if the breakpoint was set before the containers were filled (CPP-7166, CPP-7574, CPP-7720).

Full release notes are available by the link. And to learn about our roadmap for CLion 2018.2 read this blog post.

Your CLion Team

JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

This entry was posted in Announcement, Early Access Preview and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to CLion 2018.1.1 EAP

1. Tano says:

Hi Anastasia, can you explain please what this action.aware.typeAhead does?
    Because it seems that it’s not fixed in this EAP and I want to keep it disabled from the Registry.
    Thanks

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

If it’s not fixed, then, please, describe the detailed scenario (what you do to get the issue), because seems we failed to reproduced your case. All cases that we managed to reproduce are covered in this build.

2. mbalabin says:

Great thanks to Eldar Abusalimov for his work on GDB issues!

3. Tano says:

Anastasia, are there any news about Find in Path dialog? You told me in the past that a redesign is in progress because of the several bugs posted and because it’s less usable in some cases compared to the old versions.
    Some of them IDEA-170658, IDEA-170662, IDEA-170156, IDEA-176371 (this is closed but it’s not fixed), IDEA-172930

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

I have no additional info about these for now. I know some adjustments are still in plans, but you’d better ping the developers in the corresponding tickets if you need a quicker answer, I’m afraid I have no extra information and can only ping there on my own.

Which one if the most crucial for you?

• Tano says:

Thank you, I don’t know what developer is in charge of them, because all CLion developers are amazed “Are you using the old dialog? But why?”
        Because the new one is full of bugs, doh…:))

I gave the new Find a new chance today and I found new 2 bugs in 5 minutes :))))
        CPP-12656
        CPP-12657

It’s nothing crucial for me, but please do not drop the old dialog, until all of the new ones are fixed.

For me it’s important to fix CLion problems with symlinks, because CLion does not handle them properly (example: CPP-12309)

Thanks

4. Denis Marinov says:

Which compiler takes less time to compile in CMake? I’m using MinGW64 and it takes up to 2 and an half seconds to compile and run the code for each test. Thank you!

• Denis Marinov says:

Hi Anastasia,

Thank you for this article. I’ll test some of the listed compilers on my machine to determine which one to stick with. I’m currently using Microsoft C++ Compiler and it’s not bad, but I’ll see.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

There is also the thing called incredibuild that works with CMake and speeds up the compile process. You might try it as well. Also, for MSVC we use NMake generator in CMake which it probably not the quickest one, but unfortunately the only one supported for now

• Denis Marinov says:

I’m not sure how incredibuild works. Are there any tutorials on how to implement it with Clion/CMake, found only for VS?

It happens that GCC is quite preferable by other developers. But than again by installing the MSVC Build Tools I can use it in Rider as well. Sadly it takes up to 6 GB disk space.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

There is no special integration, but it simply works with CMake. So you can just build using it, independently of CLion.

• Denis Marinov says:

Okay, thank you. I’ll give it a try later. Keep up with the good work!

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks!

5. J. says:

The download button points to the page saying “EAP builds have been moved to the site for easier search. This confluence page is now obsolete.”
    Where we can directly download EAP now? Toolbox app is not an option.

6. Victor Sergienko says:

Came here today to express my concern with C++ parser performance in 2018.1.
    I’m afraid that there’s something fundamentally wrong with it, if changing a method signature kicks my laptop’s fans up for 2 minutes, and syntax errors are not cleared till fans settle back.
    Autocompletion speed is still a disaster, I always type .c_str() faster than autocompletion pops up. Except for the times where a parser is running, and it doesn’t pop up at all.
    That’s on a relatively small project (under 1000 files) where the only templates are STL.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

We can handle you concern better if you provide CPU snapshots. But I guess you’ve already done in YT, if not – please do, this will really help.

In general, we do work constantly on performance. And we have a huge plan how to overcome current issues.
      At the same time, many things in parser were fixed and improved in 2018.1, which unfortunately led to some extra degradations, as some more accurate parsing is now happening and takes longer.

However, we hope that at least typing and highlighting freezes will be eliminated soon. And then we’ll move to completion and the rest. Stay tuned. And thanks for the fair feedback.