CLion 2018.2.1 update enables clangd on Windows

Hi,

CLion 2018.2 release has happened just recently. And today we are happy to announce that the first bug-fix update 2018.2.1 is now available. If you haven’t yet upgraded to CLion 2018.2, good time to do so right now!

Get a fresh build from our website, use Toolbox app or snap packages (in the case of Ubuntu) to update. A patch-update will be available shortly for those using CLion 2018.2.

Download CLion

Clangd-based language engine on Windows

In this build the experimental clangd-based language engine is finally enabled by default on Windows (previously we enabled it by default on Linux and macOS)! It’s still used only to show errors and warnings in the editor, however that means that you get more accurate error highlighting on all platforms by default.

If you experience any issue with it, report it to our tracker, customize the settings or turn the engine off in Settings/Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | C/C++ | Clangd.

And more

Other fixes include:

• A fix for a UI freeze when sanitizers are used (CPP-13341).
  • Fixed poor performance of VCS repository detection (related to symlinks).

Full release notes are available by the link.

If you are interested in what’s coming in CLion 2018.3, check the preliminary roadmap here.

Your CLion Team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to CLion 2018.2.1 update enables clangd on Windows

1. Pete says:

I am happy that Clangd works now for windows. False error detection due to CPP-3560 had colored big parts of my source code red …

2. Pete says:

The syntax check is much better. But unfortunately after the position the original CLion scanner falsely detected the error, the lookup and color coding is not working for enums. I must add, that all this is inside a 600 lines predefined integer array with thousands of constants.

3. Pete says:

I will try to make a small sample this weekend and put it in the tracker

4. ilya b says:

After the update Clion freezes and crashes. It seems to be something related to indexing. I can’t consistenly reproduce the issue. I should point that before this update I wasn’t installing any of 2018.2 releases.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)
    Model Name: iMac
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4,20 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 32 GB

The project is rather large, C++17 with GRPC, Postgres and Catch and few other headers. Hope this somehow helps.

• ilya b says:

I forgot to mention that the issue is with both Clion’s and standalone Oracle JDKs

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

• ilya b says:

> BTW, were you updating to 2018.2 from any 2018.1 or installing 2018.2 version from scratch?

I migrated from 2018.1.6 on which I’m currently staying. Did the update by renaming an 2018.1 version and dragging the newly downloaded one over the apps folder. Then it did the usual check up with settings and whatnot. Since I’m using a modified keymap layout, inspection setup etc I didn’t not try to skip importing settings.

> Could you please submit some crash dumps and thread dumps (in case of freezes) to our support clion-support at jetbrains.com? Logs and thread dumps can be easily found via IDE: Help | Show log in Finder

I’ll send the dumps in a minute. Thank you.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

> Did the update by renaming an 2018.1 version and dragging the newly downloaded one over the apps folder.
          What exactly have you renamed? Why did you go this way? Why not simply install a new one, import settings from the previous version on a start?

5. Jimmy says:

There is a serious problem with version 2018.2: Everytime that I write or highlight any code, I get a window that mentions something about needing more time to “resolve operation”. I tried every permutation of every possible solution that I have found online, but so far my only option seems to be going back to an older version.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Could you please submit CPU snapshots and IDE logs for the time when the window appears? Is it possible for you to share the project with us to reproduce it and investigate what takes the time for the IDE in your case?