CLion 2019.3 EAP and 2019.2.3 Bug-fix Update

Hi,

Today we have a few updates for you. If you’re using a stable release version, there’s a new bug-fix update to v2019.2. And if you’re helping us nit-pick the 2019.3 EAP builds, we’ve got a new build for you.

CLion 2019.3 EAP 2

The Early Access Program for CLion 2019.3 started recently with lots of performance fixes, Clangd-based code completion, updates to remote debugging via gdbserver, and more. Now it’s time for the second 2019.3 EAP build!

Build 193.3793.19 is available from our site, via the Toolbox App, or as a snap package (if you are using Ubuntu). A patch-update for those using the first EAP build will be available shortly.

DOWNLOAD CLION 2019.3 EAP

Python

First of all, Python support is back:
python_back
We sincerely apologize for this delay. We know you were eager to try the first 2019.3 EAP but had to wait because of this issue. Thanks for your patience!

Loading project w/o -fpch-preprocess flag

We’ve got a few reports from users whose compilers don’t support the -fpch-preprocess flag, which CLion uses while reloading the project.

CLion relies on this flag to handle projects that use PCHs. It helps the IDE understand the sources used to create the precompiled binaries, as well as correctly handle any invalid arguments passed to -include. However, this causes issues for some old or embedded compilers that don’t support the flag.

Now, if a compiler doesn’t support the -fpch-preprocess flag and generates an appropriate message about this, the "Reloading Project" process will complete successfully (with a warning status). If you would like to completely disable -fpch-preprocess, please go to Help | Find Action, type Registry and disable the registry option cidr.compiler.gcc.fpch.preprocess.

Other highlights

• Fixes in code analysis and highlighting:

• Checks for endless loops are now disabled for functions marked with __attribute__((noreturn)).
    • Fixed a regression with Clangd incorrectly highlighting opening and closing brackets differently (CPP-15273).
  • We’ve added a new option to make the scrollbars more visible. To enable it, go to Preferences/Settings | Appearance & Behavior | Appearance and select the ‘Use contrast scrollbars’ checkbox. Also note that starting with v2019.2, macOS users can configure the editor scrollbar color and opacity at Preferences | Editor | Color Scheme | General | Editor | Vertical Scrollbar:
    scroll_bar_colors

Find the release notes here.

CLion 2019.2.3

A new bug-fix update, v2019.2.3 (build 192.6817.18), is available for download, along with a patch update.

DOWNLOAD CLION 2019.2.3

This update bundles CMake v3.15.3 and provides a set of platform and UI/UX improvements, such as the “Use contrast scrollbars” setting introduced in 2019.3 EAP and ported to 2019.2.3. Besides, the IDE now supports native password storage on Linux (IDEA-185926).

For more details, please see the full release notes for the IDE and for the JetBrains Runtime.

Your CLion Team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

This entry was posted in Announcement, Early Access Preview and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to CLion 2019.3 EAP and 2019.2.3 Bug-fix Update

1. Steffen Seckler says:

missing ‘h’ in Link below IDEA-185926: “ttps://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-185926”

2. Rogiel Sulzbach says:

Is Ninja/CMake file API support still scheduled for 2019.3? Any estimate on when it might land on EAP?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

It’s under development now and requires significant changes in the core product’s components. Hopefully, we’ll be able to publish in 2019.3 EAP. We do our best! Stay tuned

• Alex says:

That’s great to hear! Really look forward to having native ninja support since it should speed up building most large projects I work on (e.g., LLVM) massively.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

We also work on LLVM, when building our Clangd-based engine, so we understand your pain) CMake API, however, requires massive changes, so it’s still in development and I can’t promise the exact estimates at this point. But we hope to show it soon.

3. Anton says:

The latest CLion EAP doesn’t save position, sizes and view modes of its panels/views (debug, messages, run, cmake). I always set the “window” mode for these views and move them to another screen. Earlier, I did it once for every project. Now I have to do it every time I start CLion. It’s very annoying, please, consider to give it a high priority.

4. Roman says:

Do you still plan to deliver switch header/source feature in 2019.3? This will be highly appreciated!

• Alexander says:

Do you mean as a shortcut? Isn’t that already possible with a combination of ctrl, alt (or something like that) + pos1 or home?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

That’s Go to Related Symbol. However, it does not always do what users expect under Switch Header/Source action. So we plan to introduce this other action.

• Roman Popov says:

There are two problems with “Go to Related Symbol”
          1) It usually navigates to wrong location, just picks some random symbol with same name.
          2) It is terribly slow.

I expect switch Header/Source will allow to navigate between declaration and definition, taking into account active CMake target and build configuration.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks for the suggestions. We keep it in mind.

• Roman says:

Probably bugs with navigation will be automatically solved when CLion switches to CMake File API. For example, as I understand QtCreator uses CMake ServerMode / FileAPI, so when specific build configuration is selected in QtCreator navigation actions work only within this build config. So you never end up navigating to some file that is not included in active config.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

This is not related. As for QtCreator, not sure how the navigation there works, but it’s not using CMake API, it has support for CMake server. But active/inactive configs preferences are still not related to this.

• Roman says:

Or probably not.. VS2019 uses CMake FileAPI but is still quite buggy when navigating. But at least it shows “Selected configuration does not apply to this file” when you end up navigating to file that is not included in active build config.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Yes, it’s still under development however.

5. Taw says:

Hi Anastasia, can you tell me please what is that silly circle inside CLion’s folders? CPP-17538

It was great and clean before, why all the folders look like a dotted hyena now? Why the need to change?
    I wonder why all the applications that I love (like CLion, Player.FM, etc) feel the need to break the GUI just to change something? Are the designers bored and need work?
    Every every time a new version is released I am thrilled but also scared because something is getting broken and it seems that I am right…

I really want to revert to the old behaviour, without having that dot inside the folders, Thanks.

6. Juraj Orsulic says:

I am getting clangd crashes with 2019.2.3, causing CLion lockups. Had to revert the snap.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Could you please send idea.log to the clion-support at jetbrains.com?
      Also, if that’s reproducible, could you please open Clangd toolwindow (Find Action, and then type Clangd Tool Window there) and check any errors visible there. Send them to us, if smth. That’s definitely a bug and we’d like to investigate it.

• PetrK says:

Also can you please clarify: CLion lockup means that it is completely frozen and unusable?

7. Taw says:

Anastasia, I still have spikes when I keep the Enter key pressed with only the Synthax inspections enabled. When I set it to None, everything runs smooth.
    Will this be fixed also?
    My project is very small and I constantly complain (for 3 years) that the typing has a small lag even if I don’t have big includes or smth.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

I guess you know my next first question here – CPU snapshot? Ideally, if you can recapture on 2019.3 and create a ticket in the YT. Thanks in advance.

• Taw says:

I think it’s my 3rd ticket regarding this issue, but here you go: CPP-17577

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Ok, you can actually just put new dumps to the previous tickets.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Could you please remind us if you have Clangd enabled?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

And please proceed with the instruction from the comments in the ticket. Thanks

• Tano says:

Yes, I have, I think it should be seen also in the logs/data that I sent.
            Perhaps it’s related to the 5 years old bug CPP-988?

In my opinion, this is CLion’s biggest weakness, the typing lag…a lot of my friends/colleagues would not switch to CLion because of this, they preffer the old Eclipse.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Actually, all these issues are slightly different in details. We will investigate the case. Please follow in the ticket.

8. GodKillerXiao says:

MacOS Catalina release doesn’t support 2019.2.3 LLVM debugging…Hope you guys fix it soon…