Kotlin 1.1 Event Report

The Kotlin 1.1 release was warmly met by the community. To demonstrate the new features in Kotlin 1.1, JetBrains offered an online event. All those interested were able to watch a live stream of Andrey Breslav’s demo presentation and get their questions answered during a Q&A session.

This motivated many local communities to meet up: more than 30 user groups hosted events in 21 countries.

You can find the full list of the events at the Kotlin community web page. Over 3000 people joined the broadcast on the day of the event.

The recording of the demo presentation and the Q&A is available on YouTube:

Kotlin 1.1 Event Feedback

If you watched the live stream, we want to know what you think! Please share your feedback by completing this form. It should only take about 7-10 minutes. Your input is very important in helping us improve all future Kotlin events.

Kotlin Future Features Survey

future_features_collage_2
We also offered all communities to make an impact on Kotlin future. Event organizers received survey kits and event participants could have a say on the most expected features in an off-line mode. The survey gained much attention, and we’ve now placed it online to listen to the wider community. Now you can have your say on the Kotlin future online!

Please note it’s more likely that you won’t see those features in v1.2, but we will take your opinion into account when prioritizing our work.

About Alina Dolgikh

Kotlin Community Manager
This entry was posted in Events and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Kotlin 1.1 Event Report

1. Is there a way to see the current results of Kotlin Future Features Survey?
    Or do you plan to publish results in the future?

• Alina Dolgikh says:

We will publish the results in a few days after the voting is completed. We are going to complete it round about April 17.

• Pavel Sikun says:

April 17th already passed. Can we expect to see the results soon?

• Alina Dolgikh says:

Yes, you can see them soon. We have prolonged the survey for one more week. Tomorrow we will finish it and prepare a report approximately in 1-2 weeks.

2. eugene says:

please, add ternary operator)))

3. Christian says:

I’m worried by two of the proposals:

1) “Private members accessible from tests”

I absolutely disagree with the rational behind it, since the coupling between tests and the actual implementation is very relevant for long term maintainability. Destroying encapsulation for testing would only encourage to write even worse tests!

2) “Static members in Kotlin classes”

It is much cleaner with objects and Scala has proven that it is possible to live without static elements. Don’t pollute the language with it. At least you could wait a bit an see if the desire is not mainly from Java programmers new to the concept of object literals.

• Christian says:

See also “TDD Harms Architecture” by Uncle Bob

• Very good points. Totally agree.

I love how hard it is now to do things that are bad practices.
      Introducing statics and testing private methods will definitely help to write not maintainable code.

• Al says:

I’m a relative novice to programming and Kotlin’s my first statically typed language. My interest in it is largely because of the following:

More safety automatically.
      Full Java interoperability and the ability to use it for developing on Android too.
      I haven’t actually tried Scala but Kotlin has the reputation of being easier at the cost of some power. The way I see it is that Java’s need for backwards compatibility lead to some less than elegant solutions (generics) and stagnation so both Kotlin and Scala are step-ups.

Many of the complaints I saw about Scala lie in the idea that it tries too hard to be everything and that its expressiveness gives so much freedom that it’s hard to read other people’s code.

On the other hand, Go is extremely opinionated and lacks many modern features like generics. This makes many people hate it and it definitely feels like a step back in many ways. However, the ones who like it often heap praise on it for how easy it is to read other people’s code and maintain software.

I hope Kotlin will stay as a simple, safe and modern alternative. I also think there’s great value in a language being opinionated as long as it still has the power to easily let you do whatever you want in that “one right way.” Opinionated languages are so much easier to read and maintain.

• Ivan Molchanov says:

I also voted for banning static members in classes.

4. M says:

I hope that I’m not too late to give my input on this.

Since the keyword “in” has multiple uses and assignments are never allowed in a control structure, I think that it would make sense to use the keyword “as” outside of the parentheses like so:

when (some_expression) as variable {}

That way, there is no confusion over when an assignment is allowed in a control structure and there is no ambiguity in the use of the keyword “as” in this syntax.

Comments are closed.