Kotlin News: Latest Releases, Kotlin Support in Fleet, Kotlin Multiplatform Content Creators, and More
In this new edition of the Kotlin digest, you’ll learn about the new releases, finalists whose work has stood out in the latest round of Kotlin Multiplatform Content Creators Recognition Campaign, and the current state of Kotlin support in Fleet, a new IDE from JetBrains.
Kotlin Multiplatform user survey
If you’re a Kotlin Multiplatform developer, we want to hear from you! We’re conducting a Kotlin Multiplatform user survey to collect insights that will help us shape the future of the technology. Complete the survey and contribute to a better developer experience for our community!
By participating, you will also have the chance to win a one-year JetBrains All Products Pack subscription or a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
Stay up to date with our regular digest, featuring the most important news about the Kotlin ecosystem! Subscribe here.
Kotlin 1.9.20-RC2 is here! Highlights from this release include:
- A preview kapt compiler plugin with K2
- Full support for the Gradle configuration cache in Kotlin Multiplatform
- A new default hierarchy template for setting up multiplatform projects
- Kotlin/Native support for Xcode 15
- Custom memory allocator enabled by default in Kotlin/Native
- Performance improvements for the garbage collector in Kotlin/Native
- A new target for Kotlin/Wasm – `wasm-wasi`
- Support for the WASI API in the standard library for Kotlin/Wasm
We encourage you to try 1.9.20-RC2 out!
Compose Multiplatform 1.5.10-rc02
The Compose Multiplatform 1.5.10 release is just around the corner. The release candidate includes all features and performance improvements from the beta releases, compatibility with Kotlin 1.9.20-RC2, bug fixes, and more:
- New Material 3 components (ModalBottomSheet, ExposedDropdownMenuBox, SearchBar, and DockedSearchBar) in common code.
- Enhancements to TextField for iOS.
- Improved UIKit interoperability.
- Compatibility with Kotlin 1.9.20-RC2.
- Increased compilation speed for iOS with Kotlin 1.9.20.
- Enhanced rendering performance on iOS.
- Basic support for the K2 compiler.
Kotlin support in Fleet
Kotlin Multiplatform Content Creators
To recognize and celebrate the dedication and efforts of community members who create educational content about Kotlin Multiplatform, we regularly organize Kotlin Multiplatform Content Creators Recognition Campaigns. These content pieces will serve as a source of inspiration for learners:
- [📖 Article] Implementing CI/CD for JetBrains Compose Multiplatform Android and iOS Apps using GitHub Actions by Vova Stelmashchuk.
- [📖 Article] Writing Swift-friendly Kotlin Multiplatform APIs by André Oriani.
- [📖 Article] Migrating an Android app to iOS with KMP – Part I: First steps and architecture by Igor Escodro.
- [📖 Article] Implementing a 2-month Large-scale Banking POC with Kotlin Multiplatform by Imre Kaszab.
- [📹 Video] Building a Compose Multiplatform App From Scratch – Understanding the Structure by Mohamad Rejeb.
Discover more interesting content from the community in our blog post.
If you missed our educational livestreams, the recordings are now available to watch online.
Practice technical interview algorithms in Kotlin
In this livestream, Alexander S. Kulikov, Head of the Laboratory of Algorithms and Complexity Theory at JetBrains Research, and Pavel Mavrin, Tutor and Researcher at JetBrains and 2004 ICPC World Champion, introduce the Algorithmic Challenges in Kotlin course. Watch the video to see solutions to some popular coding interview problems, like “Opposite Values” and “Collecting Signatures” coding challenges.
Service mesh for Kotlin developers
If you want to learn more about service mesh and its transformative potential, be sure to watch the livestream recording with Viktor Gamov, a Developer Advocate with Kong. You will learn how to set up a service mesh in Kubernetes, deploy demo Kotlin microservices, enable declarative traffic policies, and more.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
News Digest: Kotlin Multiplatform Special
Catch up on all the highlights in our news digest dedicated to the stories in the Kotlin Multiplatform ecosystem.
Tackle Advent of Code 2023 With Kotlin and Win Prizes!
Unwrap the joy of coding challenges as we gear up for Advent of Code, which JetBrains is proud to be sponsoring for a third consecutive year! Starting December 1, the JetBrains community will be diving into 25 days of coding challenges at adventofcode.com, and we warmly invite you to participate using Kotlin.
Join Us for a Live Introduction to Algorithmic Challenges in Kotlin!
Are you preparing for technical interviews, or do you simply want to master algorithms? Join us for a practical livestream where we’ll introduce the Algorithmic Challenges in Kotlin course!