Full Screen for all platforms and Presentation Mode with PhpStorm 7

Posted on by Maarten Balliauw

We’re continuously working on making the IDE distract developers less when they need focus. Next to better readability with improved syntax coloring, PhpStorm 7 comes with a Full Screen mode on all platforms which removes window borders and the top menu. And the new Presentation mode helps you show off your coding skills to an audience.

This functionality is available in IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, WebStorm, PhpStorm, RubyMine and AppCode.

Mac OS X users have been enjoying native Full Screen mode for quite a while. From now on it’s available for all other platforms supported by PhpStorm. It can be activated from the View | Enter Full Screen menu. To maximize the editor area, the Toolbar, Status Bar and Navigation bar can be hidden so we can focus just on our code. Here’s a blatantly big screenshot demonstrating we get a lot of editor on our screen if we want:

Full-screen mode (click to enarge)

Always wanted to show family and friends your coding skills on the living room TV? Or are you presenting at conferences and user groups or doing classroom trainings? Having difficulties reading someone’s code when looking over their shoulder? The answer to making code work for an audience is PhpStorm 7’s Presentation Mode.

Presentation Mode moves all toolbars out of the way and increases the size of everything in the IDE, making it easier to show our code and coding process. That’s right: it’s presentation mode, not read-only mode. If you want to demonstrate live coding, try it from the View | Enter Presentation Mode menu:

Presentation mode in action

Not only editor fonts are increased in size: everything gets bigger! Want to show the Rename refactoring? Everyone will be able to read what’s on screen:

Presentation mode increases all sizes

Try it out yourself and share your feedback in the issue tracker, through the comments below or in our forums!

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains PhpStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

20 Responses to Full Screen for all platforms and Presentation Mode with PhpStorm 7

1. Yakir Sitbon says:

October 16, 2013

Hi Maarten Balliauw.

I can’t see this option (Full Screen) in Linux. Why?

• Maarten Balliauw says:

October 16, 2013

Are you running PhpStorm 7 EAP? If so, can you please file a bug report at http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI? Thanks!

• Andriy Bazanov says:

October 16, 2013

What is your WM?

• Elijah Lynn says:

October 16, 2013

I am running Ubuntu and I see it. You are running PhpStorm 7 right?

It is under the View menu at the bottom.

• Petr J. says:

October 27, 2013

I am running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) and I don’t see it. It’s based on Ubuntu Linux so I would expect it working.

• Raptor says:

December 11, 2013

I am using centos 6.4 + Gnome 2.28 and CAN NOT see any menu item called “Enter full screen mode”

I can see “Enter presentation mode”.

Any idea plz?

• Maarten Balliauw says:

December 13, 2013

The menu entry should be under the menu, can you check which version og PhpStorm you are running?

2. Matthias says:

October 16, 2013

Those are some great new features! You guys really make a good job 🙂

3. Elijah Lynn says:

October 16, 2013

I love this feature and it is great if you come from Sublime Text’s distraction free mode.

One thing I would like to see improved is the speed of it though. It reminds me of Apple/Mac’s full screen mode in that it takes 1,000+ milliseconds to get to full screen. In other words it needs to be less janky.

It is painfully slow and as a result I don’t use it as much as I did with Sublime. Weird how just a little latency makes a feature not as useful but it is true!

tldr; Awesome feature, needs to be as fast as Sublime Text.

• Elijah Lynn says:

October 16, 2013

p.s. I am running Ubuntu GNU/Linux 13.04.

• Elijah Lynn says:

October 16, 2013

Interesting, it has been a while since I used it and it is much less janky than it was just a month or three ago. I am on the *.205 eap, hopefully this latest eap is even faster.

It still needs some tweaks, the layout is still janky and shifts a lot when transitioning between presentation mode but the future is promising!

4. William says:

October 17, 2013

i really hope the full screen mode doesnt cover windows task bar at the bottom… im forever switching apps etc but would like phpstorm to take up the full real estate when is opened.

like in remove the title bar at the top (grey)

5. William says:

October 17, 2013

le image http://puu.sh/4S7ok.png

• William says:

October 17, 2013

incase its not clear what i would want

(please note im on 6.0.3 so dont know if 7 has this or not…)

phpstorm 6 already has full screen mode.. but it hides the task bar which is rather important to have visible for me..

http://puu.sh/4S9UT.png <– that would be the ideal

currently have to use

http://puu.sh/4S9Y6.png <– the grey bar and menus are really nice in full screen mode but the no taskbar is a deal breaker

how does 7 do it?

• Maarten Balliauw says:

October 17, 2013

PhpStorm 7 hides the taskbar. Can you perhaps file a feature request through http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI ?

• William says:

October 17, 2013

done.. anyone else feel its of importance?

• Richard Hobson says:

October 17, 2013

If I was running on a single monitor setup it would be more of an issue, but since I’m on a dual monitor setup and I happen to code on the secondary monitor (Win7) this is not an issue.

I also use the + to bounce between apps a lot so that helps.

That said if I was running solo on the laptop etc, it would be nice to have the task bar at times.

6. Marjorie Roswell says:

November 30, 2013

once on, how do you turn it off??

• Maarten Balliauw says:

November 30, 2013

The same way as you turned it on: from the menu.

7. _alK13 says:

December 26, 2013

Thanks font this very useful feature !

However when I turn off the presentation mode, the project tool window do not return to its normal size. The big font size persists.