Features

Gevent debug support

Good news for everyone who uses gevent!

Since the last PyCharm 2.6 EAP our visual debugger is able to deal with gevent monkey-patched code.

To enable it just edit python/helpers/pydev/pydevd_constants.py in PyCharm installation and set the constant SUPPORT_GEVENT=True

Your feedback is welcome as always!

Update: In recent versions of PyCharm, the option has moved to the main settings dialog. You can enable it under Settings | Python Debugger | Gevent compatible debugging.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

12 Responses to Gevent debug support

1. Avatar

Trung Ly says:

September 26, 2012

This helped me out a lot. Thanks!

Any plans to do it in a non-hackish (like in Settings) way in the future?

2. Avatar

Lew says:

October 11, 2012

This is great. We’ve been using this a ton!

Having trouble getting remote debugging with gevent working though. Is this supported? (I can connect but breakpoints aren’t being hit.)

Thanks!

-Lew

3. Avatar

Lukman says:

December 7, 2012

I become a Jetbrains clenit past year, buying the Personal License for PyCharm 1.0, but my license will expire next month in October, 28.I’ve to buy a new license for the version 2.0, if the final release occur after the expiration of my license or I’ll be called to renew my license? Sorry, but I really don’t know how is the process to continue to getting support for PyCharm.Thanks in advance.

4. Avatar

Hann says:

June 18, 2013

Setting SUPPORT_GEVENT = True raises

Exception KeyError: KeyError(4332526160,) in ignored

while debugging. The problem is attached to importing threading module before monkey patching. My platform is PyCharm 2.7.3 build #129.782

Those who face the same problem, please confirm.

traff says:

June 20, 2013

Hi Hann,
      thanks for sharing the link!

PyCharm’s debugger uses threading module internally, but the problem can be solved, I’ve create an issue regarding the problem http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/PY-10054

5. Avatar

tracy jones says:

November 21, 2013

I am also having an issue where i can connect but breakpoints are not being hit. I set
    GEVENT_SUPPORT on the client side and enabled gevent debugging on the server side. But no breakpoints.

Nate Thelen says:

October 27, 2014

We are having the same exact problem. Anyone resolve it?

Edilio Gallardo says:

January 14, 2015

It is SUPPORT_GEVENT = True instead of GEVENT_SUPPORT.

I added a little bit more of code into a github project to make easier debugging using .env files like http://12factor.net/ suggests. Here is the code:
        pycharm-helper

David Hesson says:

June 24, 2015

This still isn’t working for me. My behavior is slightly bizarre – the breakpoint is hit, but no variables load and no thread/stack information loads, and all the step buttons stay grayed out. The debugger just says “Connected” and never changes state. So frustrating right now. I’m using 4.5.x and I have enabled “Gevent compatible debugging” in settings with no luck.

6. Avatar

fefe says:

April 25, 2016

in pycharm 2.6.1.2
    my solution works

cd /Applications/PyCharm CE.app/Contents/helpers/pydev/_pydevd_bundle
    vi pydevd_constants.py
    under import gevent add one line: SUPPORT_GEVENT = True

try:
    SUPPORT_GEVENT = os.getenv(‘GEVENT_SUPPORT’, ‘False’) == ‘True’
    try:
    import gevent
    SUPPORT_GEVENT = True #add this line
    except:
    SUPPORT_GEVENT = False
    except:
    # Jython 2.1 doesn’t accept that construct
    SUPPORT_GEVENT = False

7. Avatar

Amir says:

December 31, 2019

This fix worked for me, but then today it stopped working and I get the RecursiveError on S3 access when I run a unittest (what I got before the fix).
    Version: pycharm-community-2018.2.2