Discover PyCharm 3.4 future plans

Posted on by Dmitry Filippov

Yes it’s that time again! We’re eager to share our future plans for PyCharm 3.4, the upcoming update of our most intelligent Python IDE, to start off the discussion and of course get your valuable feedback.

The release theme is going to be “User experience and performance improvements“. PyCharm 3.4 is planned for release in April – May 2014. The roadmap is neither a finalized list of tasks to be implemented in PyCharm 3.4 nor a promise to include everything into the upcoming release. The roadmap is flexible, so we can probably add or remove something from the list.

We’re starting PyCharm 3.4 Early Access Program as soon as we are ready to show you something from the new feature set. So stay tuned and file your requests or wishes to our Public Tracker meanwhile.

The most noteworthy things from the current PyCharm 3.4 Roadmap include:

–  A number of performance improvements in different parts of PyCharm
– A bunch of usability improvements like temporary buffer for editing, Python live templates and new project wizard
–  Django 1.7 support
–  Improvements of remote development features
–  Debugger impovements
–  and a lot more…

In planning this release we decided to focus on performance optimizations and usability improvements, putting emphasis on delivering even more fast and steady solutions for your development needs.
We really hope you’ll enjoy these new improvements coming soon in PyCharm 3.4. If you have any comments, suggestions or queries, please feel free to share them right here in our blog or post them to our or Discussion Forum. Also, follow us on Twitter @pycharm to stay tuned to the latest PyCharm news.

Develop with Pleasure!
PyCharm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

39 Responses to Discover PyCharm 3.4 future plans

1. Christopher Hiller says:

February 20, 2014

The ability to debug remote subprocesses would be incredibly useful for me and our team.

Would like to see PY-11761 fixed as it’s pretty destructive.

Sharing improvements would be great, like sharing external & remote external tools. Perhaps some sort of centralized sharing dashboard would be nice too so you could manage that all at once.

Honestly not too concerned about performance; PyCharm is not especially slow for me. Takes a little while to load up initially but if you don’t exit PyCharm you rarely have that problem!

• traff says:

February 21, 2014

The ability to debug remote subprocesses is already supported. If it doesn’t work for you, please submit an issue, describing the problem.

By performance we mean not only speed, but also memory consumption – and there are some places where it could be more optimal.

2. Doug Rohm says:

February 20, 2014

I take it the version change from 3.1.x to 3.4.x was to follow the upcoming release of Python 3.4.0? Support for that will be included?

• Andrey Vlasovskikh says:

February 20, 2014

PyCharm 3.1 already supports Python 3.4 (to be released soon).

3. Sam says:

February 20, 2014

Hello,

Any news or ETA on the Maya plugin ?

Thank you.

4. Carl Bourne says:

February 20, 2014

Will there be any support for Kivy?

• Andrey Vlasovskikh says:

February 20, 2014

It’s not on the roadmap for PyCharm 3.4, unfortunately. Feel free to vote for this feature request and put your suggestions in the comments.

• Rob says:

February 26, 2014

• Gustavo says:

February 17, 2016

+1 kivy support!

5. Jason Bennett says:

February 20, 2014

A better REPL would be nice, especially one that autoreloaded from the editor.

• traff says:

February 21, 2014

We have plans to enhance the REPL, but there is no certain road map yet for that subsystem. Please vote for existing issues and submit new ones.

6. ivan says:

February 21, 2014

Any form designer for pyqt? Drag and Drop widget pyqt…

• Eko S. Wibowo says:

May 16, 2014

I kinda curious, did PyCharm able to create *.py file from *.ui file automatically? That is, the one generated by pyuic command?

7. Peter Smit says:

February 21, 2014

I see “Remote interpreters” is on the top of the list. Could you maybe include PY-6247 (using native ssh?)

• traff says:

February 21, 2014

Thanks Peter, we’ll consider that.

8. Gaëtan de Menten says:

February 21, 2014

Regarding performance, I have never had any issue, except from the debugger which is really sluggish at times. Not sure what triggers the slow down though, otherwise I would have created an issue. Strangely I have never had this issue when I was using the PyDev debugger within Eclipse (on which PyCharm’s debugger is apparently based).

Sure, PyCharm starts up very slowly, but I personally couldn’t care less as it is open all day, every day.

• Gaëtan de Menten says:

May 16, 2014

FWIW, It turns out the sluggish debugger is not specific to PyCharm, and is not actually a bug, but rather a missing feature (that I would love to have, of course). I have opened a ticket for it at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/PY-12987

9. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

February 21, 2014

I’m really happy with PyCharm 3.1.x releases, in terms of stability they by far surpass the 2.6.x / 2.7.x upgrades. Something I’m very much looking forward for are improvements to the static analysis engine, especially in what concerns NumPy / SciPy and better support for Cython syntax; to me, that’s what usability is all about 🙂

I’ve been tracking a bunch of NumPy / SciPy tickets, but eventually got discouraged by the lack of feedback. I came to realize that in some instances wrong analysis is because of lacking / improper docstrings, and in some instances more like due to PyCharm problems. However, in order to help you, I need your help, because I find it very hard to classify these issues. I’m happy to try pushing docstring changes into NumPy and maintaining skeletons when things have to be fixed on the PyCharm side.

• traff says:

February 23, 2014

Hi Yury! Thanks a lot for your feedback! It’s true, that NumPy/SciPy issue had lack of our attention in a few latest releases, but we are going to improve the situation in the field of scientific python, so stay tuned. And surely we’d like to collaborate.

• Mike says:

August 20, 2014

A very late +1 for better Numpy/Scipy support

10. Jorge says:

February 22, 2014

It would be great if when method gets called the editor suggest the named params automatically, similar to how wingide do it.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

February 24, 2014

Jorge, doesn’t PyCharm suggest them by default? Could you please give an example and what you expect from an IDE in this regard?

11. Greg says:

February 24, 2014

Looking forward to this!

12. August says:

February 25, 2014

I know performance is not as sexy as new features but optimizing this does pay off in terms of a nice “feel” over time. Looking forward to the developments.

13. Rob says:

February 26, 2014

Is support for Subversion 1.8 on the PyCharm 3.4 roadmap? If I need to submit a YouTrack ticket, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Rob

• Dmitry Filippov says:

February 27, 2014

It’s already supported in PyCharm 3.1 – read more at https://blog.jetbrains.com/pycharm/2014/02/announcement-pycharm-3-1-has-been-released/

• Rob says:

March 17, 2014

Thanks Dmitry. I missed the original announcement and turns out my SVN 1.8 compatibility issues were all between the keyboard and chair. Somehow I managed to severely mangled my SVN path after a local TortoiseSVN and Cygwin upgrades. 🙁

Thanks again for the response!

14. Peter Shinners says:

February 28, 2014

With “Temporary Buffers” does that mean we could have the ‘charm’ command line tool read from stdin and create an in-memory buffer?

echo "Hello Pycharm" | charm

15. Johan De Messemaeker says:

March 11, 2014

Official FreeBSD support?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

March 17, 2014

Unfortunately there will be no official support of FreeBSD) Just a couple of PyCharm users use FreeBSD. Seems to be not worth adding any additional support.

16. DeeJay1 says:

March 18, 2014

Support for Sublime style text selections like in IDEA 13.1 would be great 😉

• Dmitry Filippov says:

March 19, 2014

As PyCharm and IDEA has the same code base (IntelliJ platform) these new features like new text selections, multiple cursors and other will come to PyCharm 3.4 as well.

• Sebastian says:

March 19, 2014

Hi,

And when can we expect some EAP version? 🙂

Best Regards

• Dmitry Filippov says:

March 19, 2014

The first EAP version should appear very soon. We almost ready to release it.

17. Jasper Clark says:

March 20, 2014

I would like more support for using Vagrant to develop and debug… I prefer to run PyCharm on my host, and have multiple development VMs for different languages / projects.

In version 3.4 adding the ability for a deployment server to use a Vagrant configuration rather then manually specifying the config would be nice

I think the ability to have PyCharm’s project files themselves stored on Vagrant VM rather than reside on the host would be ideal. This would remove the necessity to “deploy” after every change, and allow a single instance of PyCharm to edit and manage various projects spread across disparate architectures.

18. Paul Everitt says:

April 7, 2014

WebStorm 8 has a bunch of platform improvements which I presume PyCharm 3.4 will get. It also has a number of web development features: AngularJS support, Grunt integration, etc.

Are these planned for PyCharm 3.4?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

April 7, 2014

Hi Paul,

Your assumption is correct. All platform improvements will go to PyCharm 3.4 as they are common across all our IDEs. All the new web development stuff will be available in PyCharm 3.4 under the same conditions as previously – PyCharm includes all the functionality of WebStorm either bundled inside PyCharm or it can be available as a separate plugin from official plugin repository at no charge. So for example we’ll probably bundle AngularJS, but Grunt support will be available through a free plugin.

19. Hans Wurat says:

April 30, 2014

Hi Pycharm team,

This is good news 🙂 I really enjoy working with PyCharm and found it very helpful in the past. However a capability to profile python scripts would be a great addition to the features you already have implemented (like the superb debugger). I’ve seen that Komodo has some sort of profiling, I would like to see something similar in PyCharm.

Best regards and keep up the good work,
    Hans