PyCharm 2018.2 EAP 4
We’re now in our fourth installment of a pretty big 2018.2 Early Access Program cycle. Lots to take a look at by downloading EAP 4 from our website.
New in PyCharm 2018.2 EAP 4
We know many of you have been waiting for this for a long time, so here you go: Pipenv is supported in PyCharm 2018.2. There is still a lot of work before we finally release stable PyCharm 2018.2 so your input with bug reports or suggestions is very welcome in our issue tracker.
Currently supported Pipenv-related features in PyCharm:
- The Pipenv environment type in the Python interpreter dialog (for new or existing projects)
- A quick fix for setting up the Pipenv for a project with Pipfile
- Automatically create/set up Pipenv for a directory with Pipfile opened for the first time
- Auto-suggestion to download the Toml plugin for Pipfile
- Selection of the base Python executable while configuring a new Pipenv
- Use Pipenv for managing packages and updating Pipfile
- Display the list of installed packages via Pipenv
- Use the indices defined in Pipfile.lock to browse available packages
- A configurable location for Pipenv via Python Integrated Tools
- Using Pipenv in the quick fix to install an unresolved import
- Checking missing package requirements based on Pipfile.lock
- Quick-fix to install missing packages via Pipenv
- Notification about changed and not locked pipfile and a link to lock it
In this EAP we introduce an initial support for pytest-bdd. To enable the pytest-bdd support open the BDD settings dialog ( and from the Preferred BDD framework list select pytest-bdd. We’re continuing to work on py-bdd support, so your input is much appreciated.
Type hints validation
Any time you’re applying type hints, PyCharm checks if the type is used correctly. If there is a usage error, the corresponding warning is shown and the recommended action is suggested.
New Front-End Development Functionality
- Code coverage tool with visual indicators on folders, files, and code about the percentage of coverage
- Test files are automatically added to the Tests scope to help adjust IDE settings such as inspection severity
- New UI for inspection tooltips with key binding to apply the first fix
- Support for Node.js on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
- Remote mappings in Attach to Node.js configuration
- That’s right: an earlier EAP had improved validation from a JSON Schema
If you’re on Ubuntu 16.04 or later, you can use snap to get PyCharm EAP, and stay up to date. You can find the installation instructions on our website.
PyCharm 2018.2 is in development during the EAP phase, therefore not all new features are already available. More features will be added in the coming weeks. As PyCharm 2018.2 is pre-release software, it is not as stable as the release versions. Furthermore, we may decide to change and/or drop certain features as the EAP progresses.
All EAP versions will ship with a built-in EAP license, which means that these versions are free to use for 30 days after the day that they are built. As EAPs are released weekly, you’ll be able to use PyCharm Professional Edition EAP for free for the duration of the EAP program, as long as you upgrade at least once every 30 days.
Subscribe to Blog updates
PyCharm 2023.3.4: AI Assistant’s Efficiency Boosters and a more powerful Django Structure tool window
This year, we are trying out a new approach with our releases, moving away from a quarterly schedule to more regular monthly feature-rich releases. This change is intended to deliver new features more rapidly and streamline the feedback process. Upgrade to PyCharm 2023.3.4 New AI Assistant…
PyCharm 2024.1 EAP 6: In-editor Code Review
Our new EAP build for PyCharm 2024.1 is now available for you to download! This new build is packed with a bunch of updates to the integration with version control systems. You can download the new version from our website, update directly from the IDE or via the free Toolbox App, or use snaps…
PyCharm 2024.1 EAP 5: Model Cards for Hugging Face Models, Updates for the HTTP Client, and More
Packed with numerous new features and enhancements, PyCharm 2024.1 EAP 5 brings extended support for GitHub Actions, updates to the HTTP Client, and much more.