Meet RubyMine 3.0 Beta with full Rails 3.0 support

Posted on by Eugene Toporov

Please welcome a Beta version of the next major release of RubyMine IDE!

“3.0?” you may ask. That’s right!

Wile composing the list of what was done since RubyMine 2.0 we realized the delta is way bigger than 0.5. And with the main feature being Rails 3.0 support, RubyMine 3.0 sounds more logical!

Since the last EAP build we’ve added several small but nice improvements and compatibility fixes and baked a new build for you to try before the final release. View the list of changes in the Release Notes.

Download RubyMine 3.0 Beta.

Upd: RubyMine 3.0 will be a free upgrade if your license is purchased less than year ago. More info.

Develop with pleasure!
RubyMine Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

14 Responses to Meet RubyMine 3.0 Beta with full Rails 3.0 support

1. FX Poster says:

October 28, 2010

It’s great. RubyMine is the best IDE for Ruby/Rails development! Thank you, guys!

PS. “Please welcome a Beta version of the next major release of RubyMine IDE!”

2. Eugene Toporov says:

October 28, 2010

Thank you, FX Poster! 🙂

3. J. Pablo Fernández says:

October 28, 2010

I’ve just installed it. I see it looks quite differently, I’m looking forward to it 🙂

4. Arno.Nyhm says:

October 29, 2010

but this means on the otherside if i have a 2.0 licence that i can at last use it for rails 3 at last i need to pay an upgrade price?

5. Daniel Mattes says:

October 29, 2010

Very nice, i can only agree with FX Poster.
    With the new beta, I have a significant performance boost on Ubuntu. Have you optimized the performance or is the impression misleading?

6. Russell Garner says:

October 29, 2010

Rails 3.0 support was in the roadmap at

Like Arno.Nyhm says, a major release usually means an upgrade cost. I don’t mind paying this if it’s reasonable, but the roadmap was misleading at best and bait and switch at worst. Do you have any news on the upgrade cost? When I bought RubyMine earlier this year I had some concerns about Rails 3 support which the roadmap alleviated. This roadmap is now not to be followed?

7. Dennis.Ushakov says:

October 29, 2010

Hi Russel and Arno,
    if you bought license this year you’re eligible for this upgrade for free. Please read license agreement carefully: http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/buy/buy.jsp#renew

8. Russell Garner says:

October 29, 2010

Yep, I’m fussing over nothing. Apologies!

9. angel says:

October 29, 2010

I don’t know why but today I’ve tried download RM a few times and always get the windows version..a .exe…I’m using Linux!…there is a direct link for download it…thanks

10. Roman Chernyatchik says:

October 29, 2010

Hello Angel,
    Try links at http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/RUBYDEV/RubyMine+EAP

11. Shaun says:

October 30, 2010

I am having some issues… I installed Rubymine 3.0, attached the lastest ruby version 1.9.2, with rails 3.0.1. Now I tried different version variations as well. But everytime I try I create a new project rake bugs out, saying :

[rake –tasks] C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:340:in `bin_path’: can’t find executable rake for rake-0.8.7 (Gem::Exception)
    from C:/Ruby192/bin/rake:19:in `’

C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.3.1-x86-mingw32/lib/sqlite3.rb:6:in `require’: no such file to load — sqlite3/sqlite3_native (LoadError)

There were a lot of other errors as well, but the sqlite3/sqlite3_native seems to sum up the issue. I tried bundle install, along with attaching the gem individually, still no go. Any ideas? Email me at davissp14@gmail.com.

System: Windows 7 64bit

12. Jim says:

October 31, 2010

what’s happened to the widen selection shortcut – i can’t find it in the keymap anywhere… is it a pebcak problem or has it disappeared?

13. Dennis.Ushakov says:

November 1, 2010

@Shaun, this is a problem with bundled 1.9.2 rake version. Please see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3614435/cant-find-rake-on-ruby-rails-install/3618356#3618356

14. Rafael says:

November 3, 2010

Can’t use debug for 1.9.2 and Rails 3. Is there any documentation on how to get this working