RubyMine Satsuki EAP is Open!

Posted on by Tatiana Vasilyeva

splashSatsuki

Hello everyone,

The winter is living out its last days to give way to Spring, which will hopefully bring more sun, more joy, and more development pleasure with the next RubyMine major update!

Try now!

Today we open our Early Access Program for RubyMine Satsuki. Our codenames traditionally stand for Japanese trees, and this time it’s a beautiful rhododendron. We’ve got a whole bouquet of goodies for you:

• Puppet plugin improvements — in this version we’ve further improved the Puppet plugin and added some fancy new features.
  • Android support for RubyMotion apps — you can now create RubyMotion Android application in RubyMine and enjoy intelligent code completion and execution.
  • Extracting class/module to a separate file — this long-awaited feature is finally ready to be used.
  • Better CoffeeScript support — CoffeeScript support has been improved across the board.
  • New Welcome Screen — we’ve redesigned the Welcome Screen to put all the key actions right at your fingertips.
  • Distraction-free mode — no toolbars, no tool windows, no editor tabs… just code in the center of your screen.
  • Synchronous HTML tag editing — as you edit an opening tag in HTML, the corresponding closing tag is edited automatically.
  • Emmet edit points — new actions let you jump between points in your HTML code such as tags and empty attributes, to add values.

For more details and screenshots, please see the release notes.

What’s next?

RubyMine Satsuki is focused on polishing all the main features that make your everyday coding more productive. Next we’ll be improving code analysis and refactoring tools, as well as the debugger. Stay tuned to learn more about the upcoming releases. You can also take a look at the roadmap and share your thoughts and suggestions, by posting in the comments below or submitting new feature requests to our issue tracker. We want your feedback to make the next RubyMine version better than ever!

Installation

Please note that EAP builds do NOT require an active license and can be used for up to 30 days. To get notifications of new EAP builds as they become available, subscribe to the EAP channel in Preferences | Appearance & Behavior | System Settings | Updates.

You can download and install RubyMine Satsuki EAP (build 140.2694) right now. Unfortunately there are still a lot of open issues with JDK 1.8 on Mac OS, so this time we’ve prepared one more package with a custom JDK 1.8 bundled. Otherwise you will need to use JDK 1.6. Work on the custom JDK is in progress so your comments and feedback are very welcome.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains RubyMine Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

8 Responses to RubyMine Satsuki EAP is Open!

1. Joseph Grace says:

March 5, 2015

First of all, many of these features look very compelling. Even if I don’t need them now, it’s nice to know they’re there if I do need them (e.g., Android support for RubyMotion).

However, the feature am most looking forward to now is support for EmberJS. I would love to see a path to full EmberJS support, even if it’s just beginnings for now (syntax and colors).

Thanks. Keep up the good work. RubyMine is wonderful.

• Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

March 5, 2015

Thanks, Joseph

Unfortunately Ember.js is still not in our plans though we have such a feature request. Will take a look and discuss with the team. Could you please vote/watch for https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-14919

2. Ernest Wu says:

March 6, 2015

When will you start to put these features into intellij IDEA? I bought intellij IDEA since I write java, front-end web and Ruby on Rails. in my understanding, intellij IDEA with ruby plugin should have the same function as rubymine. However, rubymotion integration has been broken in intellij IDEA for a long time. And sadly, intellij IDEA license key can’t be used in rubymine. It makes me feel bad since I really need rubymotion integration, but I don’t want to pay additional fee to get rubymine (which is almost the same as ruby plugin instead of rubymotion integration). Anything you can help for this?

• Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

March 6, 2015

Ruby plugin has the same code base as RubeMine does so RubyMotion support should be there. What plugin and IDEA versions do you have?

• Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

March 10, 2015

I’m sorry. I found there was a bug on that: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RUBY-13640 Could you please take a look and comment.

• Ernest Wu says:

March 10, 2015

Yes, that’s what I talking about… It’s almost 3 months after the last comment. But the Ruby Plugin is still not fix. I don’t know what you want me to look or comment. It just doesn’ t work in version 13 and 14. All I want is intellij IDEA with full support of RubyMotion. Please help to address this issue and fix it. Thanks a lot!

3. RubyMine Satsuki EAP: Vagrant and Debugger Bugs Are Now Fixed | JetBrains RubyMine Blog says:

March 11, 2015

[…] version of RubyMine Satsuki (build 141.96) is ready to download and try. After working on all the new features supported in the first EAP build, we have now focused on bug […]

4. Courtney says:

May 28, 2020

I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this blog. I’m hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal blog now ;)|