PhpStorm & WebStorm 4.0 Early Access Program started

Posted on by Alexey Gopachenko

We are happy to announce first public builds of PhpStorm & WebStorm 4.0!

There’s a lots of changes, totaling to hundreds of tracker votes, but here is the list of visible features already available to focus on:

• IntelliJ Platform 11.1 with lot of improvements and even more streamlined UI
  • PHP Language support for Traits and other 5.4 features. We only started with this so trait conflicts, method renaming and parent calls are not yet analysed by IDE. Toggle 5.4 feature usage checks in Inspections/PHP/General/Language Level
  • PHP Code Coverage is now built in for both Xdebug and Zend Debugger
  • PHP debugger supports remote command line scripts and PHP 5.4 built-in server
  • Code Inspection got new analysers for PHP and JS
  • ECMA Script 6 (Harmony) features are now supported
  • SASS & LESS code formatting and advanced features, CoffeeScript support is improved (kudos to RubyMine team!)
  • Project generation from HTML5 boilerplate and NodeJS boilerplate

We’ll publish a series of detailed blog posts on new features. Please note that all of these are work in progress and will undergo series of both technical and cosmetic changes during next months. Also, much more stuff is coming – so do not hesitate with feedback, the milestone build is only couple months away!

• EAP users should know the drill, but since this is a major upgrade – we’ll repeat:
    BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO BEFORE 1st RUN
  • Config folder name changed to WebIde40, so all previous builds settings are unaffected by this one – bu you may want to copy your previous settings over to not start from scratch
  • 3rd party plugins may cease to work with this build (bug authors for platform 11.1 support)

Download PhpStorm & WebStorm 4.0 EAP build 114.158 for your platform from project EAP page.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains Web IDE Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

65 Responses to PhpStorm & WebStorm 4.0 Early Access Program started

1. everzet says:

February 20, 2012

What about Behat integration?

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 20, 2012

Well, its in roadmap, but not yet available.

2. Bryan Green says:

February 20, 2012

Jetbrains – Simply Excellent Software.
    I like the SCSS formatting (very nice.)

I had to export my old setting and import anew.

Can’t wait to try the ‘PHP Code Coverage.’ First, gotta deploy some software…

• Bryan Green says:

February 20, 2012

Wow this release rocks! I like the “evaluate expression” add-on to the debug window. In fact, I like the debug window a lot.

Great improvements. Thank you so much for taking care of the PHP community. This is the best IDE for PHP.

ZendStudio is so awful these days and I’m so happy to distance myself from eclipse. Anybody out there try IBM’S Rational App Developer for Java? No good.

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 20, 2012

Thanks for the kind words.
        There’s so much room for improvement yet 🙂

• Bryan Green says:

February 20, 2012

… bring it on 🙂

3. Priet says:

February 20, 2012

>> BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO BEFORE 1st RUN

How do I do that?

This EAP has Subversion 1.7 support, doesn’t it?

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 20, 2012

You back up .idea folder inside the project.

Yes, it includes the SVN 1.7 experimental support.

4. Nadchodzi PhpStorm w wersji 4 | Hello World! says:

February 20, 2012

[…] informacji znajdziecie w komunikacie opublikowanym na oficjalnym blogu PhpStorm. Podobne wpisy:Konsola PHP w przeglądarceWindows i śledzenie zmian w pliku na żywoDzień z […]

5. Lev says:

February 20, 2012

Good news!
    What about symfony support?

• Ksaveras says:

February 20, 2012

+1 Vote for Symfony

• Malte says:

February 26, 2012

That is already available, isn’t it?

• Lev says:

February 27, 2012

It is not. Symfony support is postponed from v.3, now it is in future versions in roadmap…

6. Vladimir Komissarov says:

February 21, 2012

Do you planning to mantis support?

7. Zapowiedź PhpStorm 4 | Mariusz Tulikowski – dev blog says:

February 21, 2012

[…] dniu wczorajszym na blogu PhpStorm została opublikowana informacja o przygotowaniu pierwszych publicznych buildów PhpStorm w wersji […]

8. David says:

February 21, 2012

I was trying php storm trial and I love it. I planned to buy it but now that I know there will be soon 4.0, I’d rather wait. I don’t really want to pay full price for the product only to realize that it’s outdated. On the other hand, I need some IDE now and after trying php Storm I don’t want to get back where I was before. Is there a way to solve this? I mean like preorder 4.0 which would also allow me to use 3.0 meanwhile?

• David says:

February 21, 2012

Never mind, I just realised there are free updates for 1 year.

9. EugeneOZ says:

February 21, 2012

“Commit & push” button is back!!! 🙂
    Also, “Autoscroll to source” is small but very useful feature.
    Thank you, you are the best!

• EugeneOZ says:

February 24, 2012

Sorry, I meant “Autoscroll from source”.

10. Jamie Taniguchi says:

February 21, 2012

“Config folder name changed to WebIde40, so all previous builds settings are unaffected by this one – bu you may want to copy your previous settings over to not start from scratch”

Where is the config folder located on Windows?

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 21, 2012

In the user home folder. The name starts with dot character – “.WebIDE10”

11. Elte Hupkes says:

February 22, 2012

I get a feeling I’m been missing something about the SCSS support for a while now, because it is, and always has been, _very_ crappy for me. (Auto-)indenting doesn’t work at all and is actually worse than using a plain text editor. When I type

.class {[ENTER]

I end up with (| = the caret)

.class {
    |}

which is completely worthless obviously, because I have to [ENTER] [ARROW UP] [TAB] to get to the right indentation level. Same when I’m inside a block, say:

a {
    }

and I type “&:hover {[ENTER]”, I get:

a {
    :hover {
    | }
    }

What’s even more odd is I’m using tabs, but the caret is actually placed at what appears to be a 1-space indent, _inside_ the tab; a position I can’t move it to myself.

Tried starting with an empty settings folder on this EAP to see if my settings were somehow corrupted – no dice. Since no one else is complaining it must be me, anyone got a clue what’s going on here? Its incredibly annoying.

• Michal Kvasnicak says:

February 25, 2012

I have this problem too. It’s very annoying and I’m wasting time with proper formatting.

12. Elte Hupkes says:

February 22, 2012

Whoops @ comment above, forgot to use code blocks so my indentation examples are actually invisible. Quick copy-paste with blocks this time:

“When I type

.class {[ENTER]

I end up with (| = the caret)

.class {
    |}

a {
    }

and I type “&:hover {[ENTER]“, I get:

a {
    :hover {
    | }
    }

13. Elte Hupkes says:

February 22, 2012

… and that did not help. I will stop spamming now and hope you all just understand what I mean.

• Bryan Green says:

February 22, 2012

Good point, this could be improved. Maybe you could create a ticket and explain the caret/cursor positioning? Would be helpful I think.

Fortunately, if you already have code within a block, the cursor will drop to the proper indented position.

Nice catch Elte.

• Elte Hupkes says:

February 23, 2012

Done, created a tickethere, please upvote :).

• Bryan Green says:

February 23, 2012

+1 !

14. EugeneOZ says:

February 22, 2012

Also Git plugin is more smart now, it’s very good.

15. patrick says:

February 24, 2012

Where is the config folder (WebIde…) located in Mac OSX?

• patrick says:

February 24, 2012

It’s in the preferences directory.

/Users/patrick/Library/Preferences/WebIde40

16. Тем временем вышел PhpStorm 4.0 EAP | Блог о веб-разработке says:

February 24, 2012

[…] Webstorm/PhpStorm 4.0 EAP. Так как это не стабильная, то не все обещанные […]

17. Robin says:

February 24, 2012

Build looks good so far, although after first run the only thing I thought worth mentioning is it doesn’t remember which Monitor it was last up and running on and I can’t seem to find a setting for it… I’ve got a Triple Monitor setup and generally have the code open on Monitor 2, but it always cold opens to Monitor 1. Not a huge but but thought I would mention it.

Keep up the good work.

18. Konrad says:

February 24, 2012

Great software. And what about PHPTAL support?

19. Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 25, 2012

Dear users, this is not a proper place to cast votes or submit bug reports. Please file them to the issue tracker!

20. Ed says:

February 25, 2012

What I have to change to set the cursor at the end of the line when I click somewhere outside the line?

• Andriy Bazanov says:

February 25, 2012

Settings | Editor | Allow placement of caret after end of line

21. Peter says:

February 25, 2012

You guys rock! Like a sibirian coal locomotive … knowing only one direction – forwards. Many other companies should take an example at the speed you kick out release after release.

22. Lucas Freitas says:

February 26, 2012

The HTML5 support is now fully bundled? I’m developing some projects that says “section” or “article” isn’t a supported tag. Or … New types for input still doesn’t get handled well.

• Brandon Summers says:

February 26, 2012

It’s not enabled by default, it has to be enabled on a per project basis.

Go to: Settings | Project Settings | Schemas and DTDs

At the bottom choose HTML 5.

23. Tommi says:

February 26, 2012

How about jade support?

24. Haydar Ciftci says:

February 26, 2012

I’m missing a feature for enforcing variable types in PHP. If the analyzing path is too deep, I want to be able to force types using inline PHPDoc:

* @var Doctrine\ORM\EntityManager
    $myem = My_Registery::get(“em”);

• Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 26, 2012

That’s for fields only. For vars use
      /** @var $name Type */

• Haydar Ciftci says:

February 26, 2012

Thanks a lot!

25. Igor says:

February 26, 2012

What about CakePhp support?

• Jeremy Frazao says:

March 1, 2012

Configure PhpStorm to Auto-complete CakePHP Models, Views, and Controllers

• Shawn says:

March 14, 2012

Yes well you can do that with most any framework. But the idea of support is the ide will know about the model,components, and everything else. like how in pycharm you can click the controllers action method icon to go right to the view.

I would like to see cakephp support as well especially since it has such a large community and userbase. Many people would like this.

26. Alexey Gopachenko says:

February 26, 2012

@Everybody: there is a roadmap and entire issue tracker filled with feature requests, votes and schedules.

27. Rafi B. says:

February 26, 2012

I love Jetbrains development cycle.. Would love to hear more about the way you guys produce code.

Anyways, what does “streamlined UI” exactly means? I see it often in your blog posts.

28. Daniel S. Reichenbach says:

February 27, 2012

Now this is awesome news! I love SASS/SCSS und Behat, and seeing support for those just rocks! <3 you guys for your products.

29. Johnatan says:

February 27, 2012

Is there any chance that anyone from devs sorts issue tracker by votes count and checks out what many of PHPStorm customers are worried about for 2.5 years now?

30. Julien Breux says:

February 27, 2012

Great news.

Thx

31. YellowShark says:

February 28, 2012

Hey just wondering – is there an easy way to copy over (from version 3.x) my remote hosts that I’ve entered under “Tools->Deployment->Configuration..”? Just curious, and thanks for the new build – all of your work is appreciated!

32. Andriy Bazanov says:

February 29, 2012

They are stored in “webServers.xml”. On Windows 7 the full path (for v3) will be C:\Users\USERNAME\.WebIde10\config\options\webServers.xml.

You can just copy file over to v4 config folder. In fact — you could copy whole config folder over — worked fine for me.

33. andriy kravcvhenko says:

February 29, 2012

When I try to extract .tar.gz archive, I see the following error message:

“tar: PhpStorm-114.158/bin: Not found in archive
    tar: PhpStorm-114.158/help: Not found in archive
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors”

34. Anton Stoychev says:

March 2, 2012

Oh! I love that you’ve made the structure popup (Ctrl+F12) native as the rest of the navigation ones!

Thank you!

35. Boris Hinzer says:

March 4, 2012

Any plans already to include TypoScript syntax highlighting? We are already on pos. 2 of the votes here: WI-7249New language: Syntaxhighlighting for TypoScript

Regards,

Boris

36. Hans Grimm says:

May 30, 2012

Like it! However, in my LessCSS files the code completion does not always guess correctly. That’s a bit annoying.