The WebIDE Blog

Early Access Program PhpStorm WebStorm

PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 Early Access Program started

We are happy to announce the first public build of PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0!

There’s a lot of changes. We started to work on core language features and later will show some love to tools and frameworks. The most visible of what’s already available today:

• PHP
    • Automatic generation of “use” clauses on class name completion
    • Change signature refactoring
    • Pull up/Push down for class members refactoring
    • Better runtime error prevention – more problems will be caught by code analyser
  • JavaScript
    • TypeScript support: coding assistance & debugging via source maps
    • Dart support is now integrated into WebStorm
  • General
    • Darcula – completely dark IDE interface option

We’ll publish a series of blog posts on these and other new features. Also, much more is coming!

As usual, bear in mind that you are getting a snapshot of work in progress and product will undergo series of technical and cosmetic changes.

• EAP users should know the drill, but since this is a major upgrade – we’ll repeat:
    BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO BEFORE 1st RUN
  • IDE Configs are stored in a separate folder, so all previous builds are unaffected by this one. Plus – automatic import will finally pick old ones up for you on the first run
  • 3rd party plugins may cease to work with this build – ping authors for platform 12 support, we’ll gladly help them in case of trouble

Download PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 EAP build 122.864 for your platform from project EAP page.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains Web IDE Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

66 Responses to PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 Early Access Program started

1. Avatar

Pierlo says:

Awesome news!
    Any way to get the darcula theme on phpstorm 5?

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 19, 2012

Actually, no. It relies on code most of which does not exist in v5.

Bryan Green says:

November 19, 2012

Darcula is great. Turned on my own code theme (derivative of RailsCast.)

I’ve only glanced over the new refactoring tools and am already quite impressed.

I’m also looking forward to researching Dart + dart2js!

Stefan says:

November 20, 2012

Can you share your code theme?

Bryan Green says:

Sure.

And, really, +1 for the new IntellJ IDE shell. The entire IDE just feels faster. I had some lag jumping around files before and simply moving the cursor on the screen. That’s gone and things are fast.

Of course, editing the jQueryUI js is still a monster but even here there are improvements!

Mark Badolato says:

November 27, 2012

Likewise, Luis Cordova and I have come up with a PHPStorm editor theme that mimics the Symfony2 and Doctrine2 documentation syntax highlighting.

Available Here

2. Avatar

Grzegorz Godlewski says:

November 19, 2012

Lots of major releases recently – 5.0.4 is still pretty hot and KABOOM – 6.0.0 EAP.
    I’m just curious about the story behind the jump 🙂

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 19, 2012

Nothing special. We open EAP as soon as possible. Usually in couple months since major update. .

And we just want to release often. It’s easier since we don’t charge users per release 🙂

Mike Schinkel says:

November 19, 2012

Kudos. I feel like a kid at christmas every time I see a new PhpStorm version. 🙂

3. Avatar

Yuriy Firs says:

November 19, 2012

Dark theme is cool! Thank you

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 19, 2012

Still work in progress though. Has glitches here and there. Please report!

4. Avatar

Florin says:

November 19, 2012

First of all, Thank you! for releasing an EAP so soon, I’m an EAP junkie and I was checking the blog/EAP page for like 2 times a day waiting for this 😀

Second, if anyone else thinks that PhpStorm would benefit from this: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-14991 please vote for it!

Thanks once again for doing such a great product!

5. Avatar

Sargis says:

November 19, 2012

It would be really nice to have ANT support in WebStorm without workarounds and external tools. 🙂

6. Avatar

Andreas says:

Oh no, i bought PHP Storm 2 Weeks ago, and now there is a new Version 🙁

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 19, 2012

1. You should really read at least the summary on the buy page 🙂 Every license comes with one year of free upgrades.
      2. EAP is not really a Version. Its a weekly/experimental/beta/preview of work in progress. And its free. Just dont forget to provide good feedback.

7. Avatar

Andriy Bazanov says:

November 19, 2012

Hmm… Just encountered “The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size ….” error when attempted to launch v6 EAP. Never had this before and v5 still launches just fine. Launching via bat file works fine (but leaves cmd window opened until PhpStorm is closed).

Editing PhpStorm.exe.vmoptions allowed me to launch it in usual way, but with -Xmx350m instead of default -Xmx512m

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 19, 2012

I really expect to have the discussion on possible reasons in other place you’re very aware of 🙂 Please file it!

Andriy Bazanov says:

November 20, 2012

I’ll try EAP build at work first — wanna see if there will be any difference and possible reasons (excluding the fact that v6 bundled with Java v7).

8. Avatar

Alex says:

Can not start it on windows 7 x64 =(

—————————
    Error
    —————————
    The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution.
    —————————
    OK
    —————————

Ivan says:

November 20, 2012

Try to update Java. This should help.
      I have Win7 x64 8gb RAM and that build works perfectly.

Dmitriy Zavalkin says:

Try increase Xmx to 1024 (what I usually do) and you”l face the same problem 🙂

Andriy Bazanov says:

November 20, 2012

Looks like EAP had too hight value for -XX:MaxPermSize parameter (PhpStorm.exe.vmoptions)

9. Avatar

AVEbrahimi says:

November 20, 2012

Go ahead, we are waiting for final release!

10. Avatar

Uno says:

November 20, 2012

In 5.0.x editor tabs looked very nice, now they have ugly 3d look (more dark gray at the bottom) I hope that is not intended and it will be fixed in next eap’s.

11. Avatar

William says:

lol looking great!!! please consider patch updates for all the EAPs with v6 😛

12. Avatar

Adrian Dimitrov says:

November 20, 2012

Awesome, finally got “Show directories with changed descendants” now, I can delete the eclipse 🙂

13. Avatar

Pierlo says:

November 20, 2012

Sorry this is my first time trying an EAP version and I’m not entirely sure I know what you mean exactly with ‘BACK UP YOUR PROJECT INFO’ – how do I go about this the safest possible way? I googled a bit without success… is there a step-by-step guide?
    Thanks!

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 20, 2012

“PROJECT INFO” here is the content of .idea folder, it contains all per-project settings – version control, deployment, inspections etc. It might become incompatible with previous builds (5.0) after opening with newer one. So – zip it to a safe location.

Plus, if you are not (for any of the unconvincing reasons) using the version control (properly) – zip your project too. Just in case. EAP is officially alpha quality, thus while usually its quite stable things may go wrong.

14. Avatar

Stefan says:

November 20, 2012

I like the new UI Interface, but I the coloring for php files is bad.
    Looks very bumpy 🙁

15. Avatar

Robert Fauver says:

November 20, 2012

Loving this, thanks for all of the regular updates. I know that I always have something to look forward to when I visit jetbrains.com

16. Avatar

Jeff Schwartz says:

November 20, 2012

Very exciting. I mentioned in my recent blog entry (http://adoseofjavascript.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/the-tools-of-my-trade/) how impressed I am with your release schedules and the overall quality of WebStorm so news like this shouldn’t surprise me but it did and I’m even more impressed now than I was prior. Question: Can I run install these early access releases side by side with my licensed version? I’d really not want to screw that perfect environment up as it is my bread and butter tool 🙂

Jeff

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 21, 2012

Safety instructions included in the end of the post and one of my comments here.

17. Avatar

gerits aurelien says:

November 21, 2012

Great, I look forward to this version is available in stable 🙂

18. Avatar

Tanc says:

November 21, 2012

Brilliant new UI. Darcula mixed with my own theme for the code is just perfect. Thank you for saving my eyes.

19. Avatar

Matthew says:

November 21, 2012

I am finding that PhpStorm is using more and more memory on my MacBook Pro. A project in 4.0 for example is sitting around 400Mb Real Mem after a few minutes of usage, the same project in 5.0 is sitting around 550Mb and in the 6.0 EAP is sitting at 1.07GB Real Mem.

I have php code sniffer turned on in 5.0 so that could explain the jump between 4 and 5 slightly, but I just wanted to express concern over this trend as one of the draw-cards to PhpStorm was how lightweight it was in terms of resource usage.

Alexey Gopachenko says:

November 21, 2012

Well.. The JVM is locked to same fixed amount of RAM for all versions, so in the long run usage will be just the same.

But this is a first EAP. In current stage of development we are focused on putting new stuf in. We keep performance at the sane levels, but main work on it is done after feature freeze and in minor updates (x.0.x).

If you want us to fix something in particular – submit a detailed report to the tracker.

20. Avatar

Leonid Svyatov says:

November 22, 2012

Desperately need Darcula in RubyMine! Is it planned?

Mikhail Vink says:

November 22, 2012

Yes, sure. It’ll be available for RubyMine too.

• Tatiana Vasilyeva

Tatiana Vasilyeva says:

November 22, 2012

Actually, it is already available in Enoki EAP versions 🙂

21. Avatar

kris says:

November 22, 2012

I am happy to see a progress phpstorm team behind phpstorm.

a little doubt with PHPstorm ?

1. When I run sublime text 2 I can type and type and tab and it’s type my code faster then what I write in phpstorm. phpstorm write slow and I got no speed of what I am writing.

phpstorm genrate code better and make me fast coder but can someone can let me know how they work fast.

When my code relies on html5BP then he is playing slow from starting to end.

22. Avatar

Tobias Hoffmann says:

November 23, 2012

This one is huge! Love the new colors and refactorings. Great work!

23. Avatar

Alex says:

November 23, 2012

Aren’t you going to include support of html template languages?

For example EJS (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-7910) or some generic solution?

Bogdan says:

November 26, 2012

It already has exellent TWIG support

24. Avatar

Radek Skrabal says:

November 24, 2012

Still no support for Stylus markdown? It’s been requested by many people like a year ago. I’m really, really disappointed…

Bryan Green says:

November 25, 2012

Ouch.

25. Avatar

Nadav says:

November 28, 2012

Are you kidding me? What’s about FTP UTIME & MFMT commands to change file timestamps?

Robert says:

December 11, 2012

26. Avatar

Mark says:

November 28, 2012

I switched to the Darcula scheme but my project tree is still light…how do I make it dark?

Also it appears you’ve missed restyling a few icons, such as Resource Root (purple folder) and PHP files.

Goran Radulovic says:

December 13, 2012

That happened to me also. I believe that you we’re trying to change editor color scheme, not the IDE scheme. There is new setting for that now in first section of IDE settings named Appearance.

27. PhpStorm – un délice d’IDE « Carnet de travail autour de l'informatique et de l'information says:

November 30, 2012

[…] dans les configurations et personnalisations spécifiques mais je convoite par exemple le thème "Darcula" qui à l'air magnifique et agréable. Même si je n'ai jamais réussi à m'habituer aux thèmes […]

28. Avatar

Chee Meng says:

December 2, 2012

Seems that the elseif issue is still unsolved though… many duplicates of this issue, since version 2.0? One sample report that is still open http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-6175

Hope this gets looked into 🙂

29. Avatar

Charlie says:

December 5, 2012

The new UI looks good 🙂

30. Avatar

Gepard says:

December 11, 2012

Will 6.0 get simple Project management? Even smaller Editors have a way to collect projects in a list or project management window.

31. Avatar

Oleg says:

December 19, 2012

It would be nice if at least in next version we will get revisited menus in phpstorm.

I always get mixed with searching for correct place for menu -> they always are on wrong location.

32. TypeScript & PhpStorm or WebStorm says:

December 20, 2012

[…] !!!UPDATE!!! Looks like PhpStorm and WebStorm 6.0 will have TypeScript support in it. PhpStorm & WebStorm 6.0 Early Access Program […]

33. Avatar

Danko says:

January 11, 2013

New PhpStorm Icons ugly as hell (EAP-124.373) Please give us your “classic” icons back! 😐

34. Avatar

dkf_genius says:

February 20, 2013

I am using IntelliJ V12 with Darcula theme. And I have installed a PHP plugin to support my development in PHP.
    But comparing PHP development to Java development, the TABs background color seems inconsistent as Java, which is white instead of dark. I wonder is this a bug of PHP plugin or IntelliJ IDE?

35. Avatar

Dorthe says:

March 8, 2013

Will there be a light theme shipped with phpstorm 6? I don’t like it at all – well, I don’t like dark software themes at all – they look stylish at first glance, but are not as user-friendly to use as light themes – for me at least 😉

Alexey Gopachenko says:

March 8, 2013

Yes, the default theme is there.

mishavantol says:

March 14, 2013

Is it also possible to switch the iconset? I personally can’t see the difference between files, folders etc. in a glance anymore. And there a bit… ehm ugly (imho).

36. Avatar

jitendra vyas says:

March 12, 2013

What is better in PHPstorm then Sublime Text 2 for php development?

37. Avatar

Felix Wessendorf says:

March 18, 2013

I would also like to express my displeasure on the new icon design. If I could at least manually change the icon set – that would be great 🙂

Discover more