WebStorm 6 EAP build 126.254

Posted on by Egor Malyshev

Please meet the new WebStorm 6 EAP build number 126.254. The changes worth mentioning include:

• The IDE will now highlight your JavaScript code according to the libraries that are configured for the file. This way you can now use libraries not only to filter the completion list, but also to clearly see what your code uses and be sure it won’t fail in production as it calls a non-existing method from the library that was never supposed to be part of this project. So, if you suddenly get your code highlighted red, please make sure you’ve configured libraries correctly at File -> Settings -> JavaScript -> Libraries (WebStorm -> Preferences on Mac OS). Please find more information on the libraries configuration here and here.

Note: If you have debug JS sources attached to the library, the IDE will ignore minified sources. In general, we encourage you to always use debug version of JavaScript libs as it is easier to be parsed by the IDE… and also is surprisingly much more pleasant to read 🙂

• Files that are part of JS library will not be validated any more, saving computer power and your time. If you still need a file to be validated, you can always ask Hector the Inspector that lives in the status bar.
  • File watchers: we now include predefined configuration for YUI Compressor (JavaScript and CSS) and Closure Compiler. More details in separate blog post are coming.
  • You can now keep your JSHint configuration in a file within the project. Just go to File -> Settings -> JavaScript -> JSHint and click ‘Use config files’. The IDE is smart enough to look for the file in parent folders as well, and kind enough to accept your custom path.
  • The IDE now carries a built-in HTTP server for static files. This means that you can simply type http://localhost:63342/<project name>/<path from the project root> in the browser (or on the mobile device) and the IDE will deliver your static pages right away! No more need to keep a local Apache/Httpd/nginx or whatever running 7×24! Our server also supports HTTPS.
  • Couple of fixes regarding JS classes inheritance and navigation.
  • Last but not least, and much awaited: There’s now code folding in SASS!

Please report any unexpected behavior to the tracker and praise, claim or enquire in forums. And stay tuned, we’ve got lot more interesting stuff coming!

Please find the list of closed issues on our wiki.

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains WebStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

20 Responses to WebStorm 6 EAP build 126.254

1. Jeff Schwartz says:

February 14, 2013

That’s it. I can’t wait any longer. I was holding out downloading and installing the WebStorm eap builds, feeling very happy with my current WebStorm v5 install but this eap build is way over the top with all sorts of goodies. I can no longer fight the urge to merge with v6, even if it’s still in eap 😉

2. demonkoryu says:

February 14, 2013

Meh. I’m on IDEA Ultimate and still waiting for new PHP plugin. I just got Ultimate for Rake build scripts. :[

3. Andrew says:

February 15, 2013

I think that File Watchers lack possibility to update on save/on demand(by hotkey)
    Vote here: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-100363

And allow some advanced options like compiling only some less, but still watching every less file.
    Vote here: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-100364

• Fedor Korotkov says:

February 15, 2013

Please see my comments in the issues.

4. Soren says:

February 15, 2013

I don’t understand how to use the web server. When I navigate to http://localhost:63342/project I get a phpstorm 404 from it. Where do I set this server’s workspace root?

• Vladimir Krivosheev says:

February 15, 2013

server’s workspace root equals to project base dir. 404 — may be index.* file not exists?

• Soren says:

February 15, 2013

Vladimir, there is definitely an index.html, and it works if I spin up my own server. I don’t understand what you mean by base dir. I have this structure: ~/Documents/phpstorm/myproject
        How does the ide know that the web root should be ~/Documents/phpstorm ? Are you saying it deduces it from the projects I have open? Thanks.

• Sai says:

February 15, 2013

Getting a 404 too. I created a sample project with a test.php script to echo ‘Hello World.’ I tried to accessed my test.php with http://http://localhost:63342/testProject/test.php. All I get is a 404.

• Andriy Bazanov says:

February 15, 2013

Please read blog post more carefully: “The IDE now carries a built-in HTTP server for static files“.

• Andriy Bazanov says:

February 15, 2013

But in any case — it does not seem to work here as well even for static files (tried specific html file as well as favicon.ico) 🙁

• Andriy Bazanov says:

February 15, 2013

As for PHP — please use PHP’s own built-in web server, which you can launch via “PHP Built-in Web Server” Run/Debug Configuration entry (Run | Edit Configurations…)

• Vladimir Krivosheev says:

February 16, 2013

Project: /Users/develar/Documents/jsdebug

“/Users/develar/Documents/jsdebug” project basedir. “jsdebug” name of project. URL: http://localhost:63342/jsdebug/

Example:
        Local path: /Users/develar/Documents/jsdebug/d.js
        URL: http://localhost:63342/jsdebug/d.js

5. Borek Bernard says:

February 16, 2013

Sounds good. One question though:

When I have a Node.js project, can I now configure it so that WebStorm would hint for all the modules inside `node_modules` but exclude them from things like Navigate to File, inspections etc.? Because in WebStorm 5, it is quite a pain to have own code and 3rd party modules mixed all together.

• ksafonov says:

February 18, 2013

@Borek For WebStorm 6.0 we plan to automatically put modules files into special library, this way these files will not be highlighted etc.

• Borek Bernard says:

February 18, 2013

That’s great to hear, looking for future EAPs and the final release!

6. Victor says:

February 18, 2013

It’d be nice to have a md5sum for each file in the download page.

7. tv shows says:

February 20, 2013

couldnt agree more

8. PhpStorm 6 EAP build 126.339 | WebStorm & PhpStorm Blog says:

February 22, 2013

[…] popular tools, Emmet for CSS is available and more. Details available in WebStorm announcements 126.254 and […]

9. James says:

April 5, 2013

The built in HTTP server is pretty awesome. Is it available in Ultimate?