Today is a big day for us, as we roll out WebStorm 10, a major update of your favorite JavaScript IDE. You can download and install it right now!

blog_webstorm10

This 10th anniversary release strives to meet your highest expectations, including language and technology support, fast performance and powerful features:

• Improved JavaScript support: We’ve completely reworked support for JavaScript and added lots for enhancements in ECMAScript 6 support.
  • TypeScript 1.4 support and built-in compiler: Instantly provides a compiled JavaScript file and highlights any compilation errors in the editor.
  • Application dependency diagrams: This new feature in spy-js allows you to visualize and explore your app structure based on the runtime data.
  • spy-js support for source maps: Enjoy spy-js features for any languages compiled to JavaScript.
  • V8 profiling for Node.js apps: Capture and analyze V8 CPU profiles and heap snapshots to eliminate performance bottlenecks and fight memory issues.

Other noticeable updates include brand new Distraction-free mode, improved Grunt integration, simultaneous HTML tag editing, project-wide Dart code analysis, and HiDPI support for Windows and Linux.

For a more detailed overview please visit What’s new in WebStorm 10, and download the IDE for your OS.

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains WebStorm Team

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Release Announcements and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to WebStorm 10 released: improved JavaScript support, TypeScript 1.4, V8 profiling, and more

1. Thanks! Are there any detailed release notes for this build (WS-141.456)?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

No, unfortunately, we don’t have release notes with the issues fixed after the announcement of WebStorm 10 Release candidate.

2. Ismatjon says:

Something is wrong with this version. When an HTML file is opened in browser (debugged or run), big JS files won’t load. Web console throws an error ERR_CONTENT_LENGTH_MISMATCH.

3. Den Patin says:

Great news!

Especially nice to hear that WebStorm tries to always keep abreast of the new versions of TypeScript. That is really an advantage.

4. Sarunas says:

The bundled java8 for mac is really. For example just to scroll a file with a mouse uses a lot of CPU. Are there any solutions ?

5. I was so full of joy when I saw that WebStorm 10 is out! I’ve updated immediately. Especially because the CoffeeScript syntax highlighting has been improved. However, I miss the old Grunt Console!

In the new Grunt Task view I have to double-click on a Grunt task to execute it. I really miss the green “Play” button which appeared next to a Grunt task in WebStorm 8 & 9. Because in WebStorm 8 & 9 it was possible to execute Grunt tasks with just a single click and now I have to do a doubleclick.

Also, I have not found a way to display the Grunt tasks left to the output. This was the default in WebStorm 9. Now I can only move them to the right.

So, kudos to your team because of the CoffeeScript & TypeScript improvements but please bring back the green “Play” button for Grunt tasks.

P.S. Maybe I will print T-shirts with the inscription: “BRING BACK THE PLAY BUTTON” and start a demonstration holding a sign and moving in circles in front of your office. :D

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Hi Benny,
      Our decision to make those changes in the Grunt integration was reasoned by very positive feedback on the Gulp integration that we’ve added in WebStorm 9. We also wanted to make experience with both task runners more consistent. Hope you see the point.

While you can still create an issue for running a task with a single-click on our tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-138586, we would like to suggest you to try running Grunt tasks with the keyboard shortcuts only.
      With Alt-F11 (you can reassign that in Preferences) you’ll see Grunt tasks popup, then select the task you want to run with the up/down button or start typing its name and then hit Enter.
      For the selected tasks you can create Run/Debug configurations and start then with Run… action.

• Benny Neugebauer says:

Hi Ekaterina,

Thanks for the tip with Alt + F11. I didn’t know that but I will get used to it, for sure! :) Nevertheless, I still think that a green Play button next to the Grunt tasks would make sense (because currently there is nothing next to the tasks).

But that’s just my personal opinion.

Happy to have WebStorm 10 on my disk! Will program a bit TypeScript with it. :)

Greetings from Berlin!

Benny

6. Mark Ross says:

Do we get these features in PHPStorm?

7. Congratulations! Any information on when the new features will be available for IntelliJ?

8. Sergey says:

Awesome job, congratulations!

9. Camilo Orrego says:

Hi, I’m having problems installing WebStorm 10 on OSX yosemite. When I try to open it, appears the error: You can’t open the application “WebStorm” because it may be damaged or incomplete. I tried to download it 3 times (even I try with the Yosemite-specific build with JDK 1.8). Any advice for this issue?

10. Alex says:

great to see the support for TypeScript progress. Was hoping to see auto-completion in import ... require statements to again include directories and not just files, which was so convenient in earlier versions and still works in reference statements, import ... from or commonjs style var ... require.

11. Hello, I switched back to the much much fuster webstorm 9 (great software).
    Even assigning more than 2gb of memory the scrolling experience is just painful.
    My system:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

12. Better news:it’s just WebStorm 10 with JDK 1.8. The regular version is very smooth for me :)

13. Daniel says:

The scaling is off in the final version. The ui around the editor is tiny, I have to increase the font to 20+ to get it to the same as previous versions fonts at 16. Seems like there’s an issue with the HiDPI scaling. My resolution is 1920×1080 and it looked fine in webstorm 9

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Hi Daniel,
      Thanks for adding more info in the related YouTrack issue, hopefully our colleagues from the Core team would provide some solution in the nearest future.

• Igor says:

I am having this issue too. Using a Surface Pro 2 with an external Full HD monitor. Everything looks tiiiiiny.

14. Jos de Jong says:

Awesome!

15. Omar says:

The node debugger isn’t working for me. When I run my server app in the debugger it breaks non-stop on lines with no breakpoints or errors of any kind. I tried just clicking on resume but that got old.

I was able to debug just fine in 9. I mistakenly chose not to keep both 9 and 10 when I did the 10 install. I Webstorm 9 so that I can have a working debugger again. Where can I download Webstorm 9?

Please this is urgent. Our business depends on your product.

16. Pingback: Announcing The PyCharm 4.5 EAP Opening | JetBrains PyCharm Blog

17. Jason Yu says:

So I know that Intellij IDEA has plugins that gives it features from webstorm, but how do I know what version of Webstorm IDEA is “running”, so to speak. I’m in IDEA 14.1.1, so up to what version of Webstorm does it share features with?

18. Dmitri says:

I’ve just purchased WS 9 license a month ago. How would I go about upgrading to 10?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Your license comes with 1 year subscription to all major updates. So you can download WebStorm 10 from the website and install it side-by-side with WebStorm 9. Then use your JetBrains account to login.

19. Andrii Dieiev says:

What does “HiDPI support for Windows” mean?
    As I can see: WS10 is only app that looks tiny on Surface Pro 3. I increased font size but other elements are still very small to use them with touchpad on cover.
    Am I misunderstand something or there are other settings that I should enable to see it in normal size?

20. Pranav Garg says:

Was getting this issue with the latest 10.0.4. Finally got it working by uninstalling it from applications, downloading the custom built for yosemite

and then launching it from applications manually by right-clicking on “Open”.
    Wish they can rectify the issue once and for all.

21. Chad says:

Ummm, “please don’t replace previous copies?” Seriously… This would have been nice to have known beforehand, telling me after what is considered “normal practice” doesn’t help me out whatsoever. I now have a useless piece of software… and instead of working, I’m troubleshooting this stuff… which no offense, but I have no desire to add more work to my life. I only want to be a user who purchases something and then uses it, and it works, as expected.

“The application “WebStorm” can’t be opened.”

I was upgrading from v8 to v11, and yes I did replace the old version in the applications folder, mostly because that is normal practice these days and I don’t need two versions of Webstorm sitting side-by-side on my machine. So I guess I’m in need of help now as I no longer have a working version of Webstorm.

• Dennis Ushakov says:

We’re sorry about that.
      I was able to reproduce the problem you’ve described and after some experiments I still think that the problem is in OS X. Here’s the output of system policy security when I’ve tried verifying WebStorm after that happened:

You can try removing and installing WebStorm and/or restarting your computer. I will try to submit report to the Apple bug tracker, but due to its closed nature I won’t be able to provide an issue number to track

22. wayne says:

I am getting the same error on OSX – is there a fix for this yet?!