JetBrains Releases IntelliJ IDEA 5.0
New version fully supports JSP 2.0, expands J2EE, J2ME support and moreAugust 1, 2005
Prague, Czech Republic, August 1, 2005 — JetBrains™, Inc., creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing applications, today announced the release of IntelliJ IDEA 5.0, the newest version of the company’s award winning Java IDE (integrated development environment).
IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 is a professional-grade tool for developers working in situations where time is money and sustained productivity is a measure of success. Staying always in close touch with those who use the IDE daily, Jetbrains carefully designed IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 to bring out the very best in Java development amplifying and validating their community-oriented approach with dedicated customer support for which the company is noted.
“Version 5.0 continues the JetBrains history of changing how developers think about programming,” said Eugene Belyaev, JetBrains president and CTO. “Developers, like athletes, sometimes refer to being ‘in the flow’ or ‘in the zone,’ where time recedes into the background and a person’s abilities open to their fullest. Tools that help developers reach this superstate are invaluable because developer productivity skyrockets, as those who use IntelliJ IDEA often attest.”
New powerpacked and enhanced productivity-boosting features include but are not limited to:
- Web and Enterprise development
- Enhanced JSP support (covering JSP 2.0) with unparalleled level of code understanding that IntelliJ IDEA users originally had for Java, including refactorings and code inspections, import optimization, code completion, validation, formatting, navigation, finding usages, etc.
- More than 200 new code inspections including:
- Revolutionary detection of possible NullPointerExceptions and API contract compliance verification based on Java 5.0 annotations that lets validate the code right in the editor as one is coding
- Internationalization tool with dedicated inspection
- Subversion and Perforce VCS integrations
- Enhanced Codebase navigation and presentation including:
- Favorites views
- External stacktrace navigation with unscrambling support
- Quick content lookup
- Image files browser and thumbnails view
- Backward and cyclic dependencies analysis for class/package/module/project
- New refactorings and important improvements to the existing ones
- More flexible debugger, with dependent breakpoints and custom object views
- J2ME support
- Import of JBuilder and Eclipse projects
- Enhanced Open API for more flexible and complex extensions (with the new Plugin module type, for easier running/debugging/deploying); it is now possible to create language plugins, with the same level of editor smartness that IntelliJ IDEA provides for Java
IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 is priced at $499 per license and is available for purchase on the JetBrains’ web site at www.jetbrains.com/idea/. For those who purchased IntelliJ IDEA 4.5 after May 1, the IntelliJ IDEA 5.0 upgrade is available free of charge via download from www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/.
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software. The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java integrated development environment, IntelliJ IDEA (see details on the Web at www.jetbrains.com/idea/), ReSharper for C# developers (see www.jetbrains.com/resharper/) and Omea Pro for users of extensive digital information (see www.jetbrains.com/omea/). JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in St. Petersburg, Russia and Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, see www.jetbrains.com.
# # #
Note to Editors: JetBrains, IntelliJ and IntelliJ IDEA are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
AI Assistant Update – August 2023
AI Assistant is a major new feature of the JetBrains IDE family in the 2023.2 release, offering integration of large language models into the IDE development workflow. The AI Assistant plugin is not bundled with the IDEs and needs to be installed separately from JetBrains Marketplace. One of the pri…
Your Go-To JetBrains Coding Tools Are Ready to Be Updated to 2023.2
We’ve now released the second update of the year for our family of IDEs, including IntelliJ IDEA, WebStorm, PyCharm, DataGrip, GoLand, DataSpell, and other tools included in your All Products Pack subscription. Check out the summaries below and dive deeper to learn more about the products you’re mos…
Remote Development with Coder and JetBrains Gateway
We are pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Coder to provide integration between Coder’s self-hosted cloud development platform and JetBrains Gateway, our remote development solution.
Redocly Brings Enhanced OpenAPI Experience to JetBrains IDEs
Starting from IntelliJ IDEA 2023.2, we have joined forces with Redocly Inc., one of the industry leaders in API documentation solutions. Using Redocly technologies in IntelliJ IDEA, GoLand, PyCharm, PhpStorm, Rider, and WebStorm will help you create clean and functional API docs from which you can r…