JetBrains Day @ FooCafé Recap, Announcements and Videos

Robert Demmer

JetBrains Day @ FooCafé in Malmö, Sweden took place Saturday, September 7th, 2013 and we are pleased to say that the event was a success!

JetBrains Day

Event participants on location and those watching the broadcast live learned that the company is experiencing continued annual growth of 40% with more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide regularly using JetBrains tools including some 64,000 business customers, many of which are Fortune 500 companies.

They were also the first to learn about the …

New projects announced at JetBrains Day:

• A technology called Nitra (@nitra) which is a language workbench using Nemerle;
  • OSS version control we have been working on. Think Continuous Version Control;
  • Upsource platform we are working on which includes browsing of source with navigation, code analysis, etc;
  • And more details on the upcoming JetBrains C++ IDE.

We plan to post more information on some of these projects in the coming weeks. For now though, you can experience JetBrains Day for yourself by watching our keynote address and the other sessions from our two tracks. Also, at the bottom we share some photographs.

JetBrains Day Mixup (Keynote)

Unfortunately, during the keynote presentation the live feed was temporarily lost (about 1 minute) resulting in a problem with the recording too. Please be patient as the video and audio do return. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Track 1: Main Track

What's Going on in ReSharperWhat’s Going on in ReSharper
Take a dive into the latest with ReSharper, including some of the new features, see what we have in store in upcoming versions, and discover how ReSharper can also help with C++ development.

Extending ReSharperExtending ReSharper
Learn about the full capabilities of ReSharper’s platform API. Not only can you create plugins for ReSharper, but you can also extend the ways it does static analysis and create refactorings of your own.

YouTrack: More Than an Issue TrackerYouTrack: Not Just an Issue Tracker
You only really understand the true power of YouTrack once you realize the potential of YouTrack Workflows. This talk doesn’t show you what YouTrack is. It shows you how to bend and twist it for every purpose imaginable.

TeamCity from the TrenchesTeamCity from the Trenches
We dogfood all our products. In fact, many, if not all, have originated from need. And when it comes to TeamCity we really beat it up. Learn how we’re running over 180 agents in-house and how we manage deployments.

From Renamer Plugin to Polyglot IDEFrom Renamer Plugin to Polyglot IDE
We spent the last decade developing and enhancing the IntelliJ Platform, which originated from a simple plugin to rename variables. Learn how we use our own tools to maintain code over time.

Track 2: Mobile Development

Using Kotlin to Simplify Android DevelopmentUsing Kotlin to Simplify Android Development
Kotlin can help reduce the amount of code you need to write for Android applications, make it readable and more maintainable. See how certain constructs and DSLs can be used to make Android more enjoyable.

RubyMotion
Love Ruby? Want to develop applications in Ruby for iPhone? Then learn how RubyMotion and RubyMine can help you do that, from the hands of Dennis Ushakov, RubyMine lead and RubyMotion developer.

Objective-C Coding. 85 lvlObjective-C Coding. 85 lvl
What is AppCode? Is it the silver bullet for developing outstanding iOS and Mac apps? Does it make myself better developer? Why do you even bother learning one more IDE when there is Xcode? Let’s find out.

Photographs

Enjoy the photographs below. If you are still looking for more, please visit JetBrains Google+ and Facebook pages.

JetBrains Day

We look forward to the opportunity to meet you at the next JetBrains Day!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

47 Responses to JetBrains Day @ FooCafé Recap, Announcements and Videos

1. Igor Kolomiets says:

September 12, 2013

C++ is another non-JVM language to be supported by IDEA. Great!

Now it really begs the question – any plans to support some functional languages (and I don’t mean Scala – which support in IDEA is fantastic)? These seem to be one of the hottest topics in tech righ now. Clojure, Haskell, Erlang?

2. Hadi Hariri says:

@Igor,

We already have plugins for all those languages you mention. Please check http://plugins.jetbrains.com

• Igor Kolomiets says:

September 12, 2013

OMG – I had no clue – thanks for letting me know. Offical support would still be a great thing 🙂

Tip for JetBrains marketing team: you should invent better ways of spreading information about available plugins for IDEA.

• Luke Imhoff says:

September 13, 2013

You have Erlang, any plans for Elixir?

3. Dmitri Snytkine says:

September 12, 2013

Will you have an event like this in the US soon?

• Robert Demmer says:

September 12, 2013

@Dmitri, anything is possible but there are no definitive plans for an event like this in the US at this time. What location did you have in mind?

• Dmitri Snytkine says:

September 12, 2013

Ideally 2 locations: East Coast and West Coast. For East Coast New York will probably be the best.

• Robert Demmer says:

September 13, 2013

And San Francisco may be the best in the West.

• Josh Oransky says:

September 16, 2013

Los Angeles on the West Coast. I’m a consultant here and I can tell you there’s a huge JetBrains fan base here in SoCal. Pretty much every tech startup uses your products.

• Robert Demmer says:

September 16, 2013

Thank you Josh for your comment. We will keep Los Angeles in mind!

4. Dmitry Jemerov says:

September 12, 2013

@Igor, the C++ IDE is a separate product. We haven’t made any announcements regarding C++ support in IntelliJ IDEA.

• Owen Nelson says:

September 12, 2013

@Dimitry but omg C++ support in IntelliJ would be *awesome*. I hope we get there. The 3rd party plugin in the repo is barely usable.

• Matt says:

Yes, please please PLEASE add the C++ support to IntelliJ 🙂

It would be amazing if we could transparently switch languages/contexts within the same IDE and not having to go back and forth. AppCode too (Obj-C support), would he amazing! 🙂

• Matt says:

September 12, 2013

Our requirements at Disney are to work simultaneously in Android, Android/NDK, Flash AS3/AIR, and iOS/ObjC. To do this we’ve resorted to a combo of Eclipse, FlashBuilder plugin, and Xcode. Would be great to tie them all together in an IDE that doesn’t suck *cough Eclipse*.

• Hongya Cui says:

September 14, 2013

Cpp support in IDEA is so important!!
      we are all expecting this.

5. Chris says:

That’s great, but I still cannot get Blade syntax to highlight to work :-/

6. Benjamin Dobell says:

September 12, 2013

Pretty keen to get my hands on that C++ IDE! I expect you’ll experience a lot of interest from the game development sector; where cross-platform and C++ are the norm.

• Robert Demmer says:

September 13, 2013

We will keep you posted to its availability.

7. Kieran says:

September 13, 2013

I too am pretty keen to get the C++ IDE.

• Robert Demmer says:

September 13, 2013

Great to hear! We will let you know when there is a public build available.

8. Chris Johnson says:

September 13, 2013

At my current job, my primary development is in C++ and PHP. I use JetBrain’s PhpStorm for PHP and I LOVE IT! (I am forced to use a different, lesser and clumsy IDE for C++.) I am so glad to hear that JetBrains is working on a C++ IDE.

Need any beta testers? 🙂

• Robert Demmer says:

September 13, 2013

@Chris, as soon as something is open we will make an announcement to let you know. Please keep and eye on our blog, @jetbrains and our newsletter. Thank you for your interest.

• Hongya Cui says:

September 16, 2013

I really want to be a tester and hope a Cpp plugins for IDEA!!
        Thank you for your excellent work.

9. Andrew Harwood says:

September 14, 2013

Really excited for the C++ IDE! Will this be compatible with Cocos2d-x for android/iOS development?

• Hongya Cui says:

September 16, 2013

AppCode works with cocos2d-x well.

10. Upsource: A Platform | JetBrains Company Blog says:

September 18, 2013

[…] week at JetBrains Day we talked a little bit about Upsource, a new platform we have been working on. In this post, we’d […]

11. Meet JetBrains at JavaOne: What’s New and in the Pipeline | JetBrains Company Blog says:

September 19, 2013

[…] including our plans for the upcoming release of IntelliJ IDEA 13; the new projects announced at JetBrains Day in Malmö; as well as the latest releases of TeamCity, Kotlin and MPS. And that’s just […]

12. Andrea Fease says:

September 20, 2013

I really wish you would do a PERL IDE. My previous position I used IntelliJ for Java development, but now my world is in PERL. I find the current PERL IDEs either very lacking in features, or too expensive.

Please consider doing a PERL IDE 🙂 !

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

September 21, 2013

I think we’re approximately 10 years past the point where such a product would be commercially viable.

13. Dzafar Sadik says:

September 26, 2013

Comming from Java platform to C++ I might say that it is lacking in few very important things:
    a. great IDE like Intellij Idea
    b. good build system as maven or gradle
    c. virtual machine – for development to easily detect memory leaks and allow hot swapping

Please, let me know if I’m not aware of something 🙂

14. Upsource: новая платформа от JetBrains | Malanris's site says:

October 9, 2013

[…] на конференции JetBrains Day мы объявили о […]

15. Tomas says:

October 31, 2013

I am happy like kid. JetBrains C++ IDE! Wish it will be now relased. Also on Linux.

16. Somebody says:

November 3, 2013

When will the public release be available? (both beta and final release)

• Robert Demmer says:

November 4, 2013

I’m guessing that you mean our upcoming C++ IDE. No official dates have been announced just yet. Please stay tuned for further updates. We will share more information when it becomes available.

• Somebody says:

November 5, 2013

Will it be available till end of the year? Also I have two other questions: first will it be free or at least have a community edition like intellij or come at a cost like appcode and second is will you support clang or just gcc?

• Robert Demmer says:

November 5, 2013

By the end of the year we hope to provide a first public preview release. The C++ IDE will be a standalone product such as AppCode and the pricing is not yet available. Both clang and gcc will be supported.

• Somebody says:

November 6, 2013

So there won’t be a community edition?

• unwilling C++ coder says:

November 26, 2013

One more month to the end of the year… are you still going for a preview release by the end of the year?
            Sooooo looking forward to it.

• RiaD says:

January 4, 2014

What are current plans?

17. me says:

November 7, 2013

is it based on intellij and will it have the same features like intellij?

18. unwilling C++ coder says:

November 8, 2013

I cannot tell you how much the world needs a good C++ IDE.
    Please please, let us have something soon. Even if it doesn’t work, it would already be better than what’s out there 🙂

19. adverick says:

November 10, 2013

I can’t wait for your C++ Linux IDE !

20. An Introduction to Nitra | JetBrains Company Blog says:

November 12, 2013

[…] Just over a year ago we announced that we’d brought on board some members of the Nemerle team, along with its lead Vlad. They have been working very hard over the past year to develop a technology named Nitra, something we spoke about briefly during JetBrains Day. […]

21. Ed Burnette says:

November 12, 2013

As a long time Eclipse user (even wrote a book on it) I’d like to try the C++ IDE for regular C development on Windows and Linux, and for C/C++ development on Android with the NDK (from Windows and Mac hosts). I already signed up for the email notice.

Two questions: For debugging will it integrate with lldb and/or gdb? And for debugging Android will it do something Eclipse never did but everybody always wanted, which was to seamlessly debug (step into/ traceback) across the JNI boundary from Java into C and back?

22. Canada goose manitoba says:

December 9, 2013

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a number of
    websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.

I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?

Any help would be really appreciated!

23. JetBrains 2014: The Year in Review | JetBrains Company Blog says:

January 21, 2015

[…] you remember back to JetBrains Day @ FooCafé in September 2013, we announced several new projects. 2014 saw those plans come to fruition. In […]