JetBrains Toolbox launches with simultaneous updates for all desktop products

Today is a big day because we’ve just updated the whole JetBrains Toolbox that includes all of our desktop tools, and also launched our new subscription-based licensing model for these products.

JetBrains Toolbox

Here’s a short summary and highlights of each product update:

• ReSharper Ultimate 10 — ReSharper Build to avoid redundant rebuilds, continuous testing, timeline profiling inside Visual Studio, better code style management, NUnit 3.0 support, better understanding of C, new C++ quick-fixes and refactorings, improved JavaScript and TypeScript support including regular expressions and JSX/TSX syntax, decompiling to IL code.

• IntelliJ IDEA 15 — new features related to debugger, better user interface, more built-in tools and integrations, further improved coding assistance, and out-of-the-box support for Kotlin.

• PhpStorm 10 — improvements in PHP language support, editing experience, debugging, code analysis, and many more powerful features.

• WebStorm 11 — support for TypeScript 1.6, Flow and Angular 2, integration with Yeoman, and additional across-the-board improvements.

• PyCharm 5 — brings an outstanding lineup of new features, including full Python 3.5 support, Docker integration, and Thread Concurrency Visualization.

• RubyMine 8 — improved experience in managing gems with Rbenv gemsets and a better Bundler, faster debugger and more.

• AppCode 3.3 — support for Xcode 7, Objective-C generics and multiple Swift 2 features.

• CLion 1.2 — introduces Google Test support, productivity features for CMake, C++ debugger performance improvements, and new VCS features.

• 0xDBE 1.0 Preview — our database IDE is nearly finished. Please give it a try and share your impressions to help us polish it before its release to market later this year.

Starting today, all above products are only available under our new licensing model.

For everyone with a valid upgrade subscription, there is no need to switch to the new model immediately. You will still receive all product updates until your upgrade subscription expires. After that you will be able to switch to the new model and take advantage of the special offer we have for existing customers.

One important addition that JetBrains Toolbox makes possible is a special ‘All Products’ plan allowing you to use any of the above products depending on your current needs.

You are welcome to check JetBrains Toolbox pricing and terms & conditions at jetbrains.com/store.

Your JetBrains Team

This entry was posted in New Products, News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to JetBrains Toolbox launches with simultaneous updates for all desktop products

1. Aleksei says:

Awesome. Bought a subscription. Thanks.

Wish you’d eventually expand the FAQ a bit. In particular, while waiting for Toolbox to open, I’ve wondered about how eventually switching from monthly to yearly would be like (there’s only entry about YouTrack InCloud at the moment) and also think I’ve read something about eventual continuous subscription discounts, but neither topic is really covered there.

2. Brian O. says:

Very cool and classy move for your customers. Thank you, JetBrains.

3. Zeph Harben says:

I’ve used your tools for the last 7 years at my nonprofit organization (volunteermatch.org). I’m moving on, and decided to get personal licenses for JetBrains tools.

I was miffed that I had to wait until you launched Toolbox today (caught between the two licensing schemes for a couple of weeks).

However, I just wanted to say that it was worth the wait – switching my personal trial licenses over to Toolbox was astonishingly easy! Great job, JetBrains. I’ve always been impressed with your products and community.

4. Terence Martin says:

The purchase page says that if I switch to subscription today, I’m covered until November 1, 2017 (which is of course two years). However my current IntelliJ IDEA perpetual license doesn’t expire until December 3.

Does the new subscription not extend the date that you already had, because I could swear that somewhere in that huge pile of comments on the announcement that someone said that it would.

Just asking for the sake of curiosity; I went ahead and did it anyway since I’ve been giving WebStorm a shake for some of my web only projects and managed to work it so that the trial expired on Friday, and IDEA 15 dropped today anyway so it’s not like I’m missing out a month or anything (except in a technical sense).

• Gordon says:

I have the same concern. It looks like I just lost nearly a year combined of CLion and IDEA licenses. I suppose the “free” second year partially makes up for it, but it really should have extended from the end date of my existing IDEA l license.

• Terence Martin says:

My CLion and AppCode licenses still show in my account and only my IntelliJ license got swapped, so I’m only out a month on the one.

Here’s another slightly worrying thing, though:

I went with an All Products license and the very same day got a bunch of C# projects dropped in my lap at work, so I figured “Score!” and installed ReSharper Ultimate. It certainly makes having to use Visual Studio a bit more palatable.

This morning I came in and fired up VS and a box popped up to tell me that in order to use ReSharper I had to either buy a license or start a free trial, even though yesterday it thought I had a license just fine.

In the end I solved the problem by telling it to log out of my JetBrains account and then log in again.

That’s fairly annoying. Am I going to have to do that every day now? Is this a sign of the times?

• Eugene Toporov says:

Hi Terence,
      The switch to All Products pack is considered a change of product therefore the subscription starts from the day of purchase. In case of switching to the same product, subscription start is tied to the previous subscription dates.
      Hope it answers your question.

5. Jennifer Kuiper says:

Just purchased the annual subscription. Does anyone know where I can find the fall back licenses?

6. Slava says:

Currently I have a still valid IDEA Ultimate license. If I now buy an IDEA subscription for $89 and in 1 year I decide to upgrade to Toolbox to be able to use Resharper as well:

* Will such an upgrade (from a product to the Toolbox) be possible?
    * How much will it cost? Will it be $199 – $89 = $110 for upgrade and then $149 afterwards (from the 3rd year)?

• Eugene Toporov says:

Slava,
      Such an upgrade will be possible and will cost $249 minus cost of the unused period. Next year of All products subscription will give 20% discount because it’ll be 2nd year of the same product. Hope it helps.

7. Sergey says:

Hi, JetBrains!
    What you can advise if I have IntelliJ IDEA AND ReSharper Ultimate, which are still valid?(both Personal license)
    I tried switching to “All Products Pack”. In subscription term subscription period begins on November 2, 2015. It is before my current license expired.
    If I choose to subscribe to only one of the products, all excellent. Subscription period starts from the end of the current license.
    Also, If you take a subscription separately, you get a 40% discount, and total 89 + 89 = 178. If you choose to subscribe to all products, only 20% discount, and total 199.
    It is logical, because extended subscription have more products. On the other hand, IntelliJ IDEA and ReSharper Ultimate have it all.
    The problem with subscription period more important than the small difference in the price) and I am sure that you will find a solution.
    Congratulate JetBrains Team with great update!
    Good luck, good work and thank you!

• Eugene Toporov says:

Hi Sergey!
      Thanks!
      The switch to All Products pack is considered as a change of product thus subscription starts from the day of purchase, in case of switch to the same product, start of subscription is tied to the previous subscription dates.
      Hope it answers your question.

8. Will definitely subscribe for your toolbox. Can’t imagine my work without your products guys. TeamCity, Intellij IDEA, Pycharm, PHPStorm, RubyMine – used every this product and super happy with them. Thanks guys for your work and keep it up.

9. Pingback: JetBrains Toolbox geht offiziell an den Start

10. James Chorlton says:

Have bought a lovely new subscription. Pitty that r# has now disabled itself claiming my subscription has expired! Email to support, no reply as yet. Have had to uninstall and start a new trial to carry on working properly!

11. Rick Herrick says:

How will this affect open-source licenses? We have an open-source license for most JetBrains dev tools. Should we apply separately for a JetBrains Toolbox license or how will this work?

12. Arno.Nyhm says:

My Current Licenses:

RubyMine exp: April 17, 2015
    AppCode exp: Feb 22, 2015

1) when is the last day i can redeem the Toolbox with the “Existing Customer Discount” with 1 Year Free?

2) what is if i like to change later (in about 6 or 8 month) from a “RubyMine 1Year (+1Free)” to the “All Products Pack”?

• Eugene Toporov says:

1) The ‘Existing Customer’ offer is to be redeemed before January 1, 2017. But you only receive 1 year free if your upgrade subscription expired less than 1 year ago. So the latest when you can switch to ‘All Products’ and still get the 2nd year free is switching your AppCode licnse before April 17, 2016.

2) This is something our sales team would probably answer better. Please contact them at sales@jetbrains.com.

13. Kevin says:

Not a fan of the price hike for PhpStorm.

14. Chris says:

Hey look – all the comments are about the licensing instead of all the new features of a major release. Oh wait, all the developers were working on supporting the new crappy licensing rather than adding new features or fixing the performance issues between Resharper and 2015…

• Zeph Harben says:

Chris – this company does a fantastic job investing in their products, making them better every year. I like features and new releases as much as the next nerd, but I don’t begrudge jetbrains working on adapting its licensing model, either to make more money, simplify support, or whatever reasonable biz reasons they were motivated by.

They have a complex/overlapping set of products, and as a developer who uses jetbrains IDE’s for several different languages, I think the work they’ve done is very smart, and makes my life easier.

• Terence Martin says:

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. No, they don’t do a “fantastic job”. They do, if anything, “a job”. That’s not commendable; that’s what we all do.

I was an IntelliJ Ultimate/AppCode user that bought into CLion just to support the company (with no makefile support it is of no use to me whatsoever). As such, I decided that when the time came I would upgrade to an “All products” subscription because it was cheaper.

In the 30 days prior to November 2 I decided to give WebStorm 10 a trial run (knowing that I would soon have access to it) because I do some web only things and IntelliJ is slightly clunky in this area because it remains Java focused.

I liked what I saw, and decided to continue using it. On November 2, I downloaded WebStorm 11 (released that day), and discovered a bug with code formatting right off the bat. Sometimes, for some function calls, the option to insert spaces between the function name and the parameters is not respected. This was not the case in WebStorm 10.

When I brought this to the attention of JetBrains, I was told that the following is not a function call:

document.createElement(“canvas”);

This is a patently obvious bug that has been flat out refused as “will not fix: working as expected”, which was introduced in a version that (speculatively) may have been rushed out the door in order to meet the November 2 deadline.

Or lets take the case of ReSharper. Literally on November 2 I got a project dropped in my lap that requires development of a C# application. I’ve been working at my company for 15 years as a Linux/Mac dev, so I considered this good timing on my part. Now I get to use ReSharper since I bought the All Products license.

Every time I start Visual Studio, ReSharper tells me that I don’t have a license. I have to log out of my JetBrains account and then Log in again to get it to know that I’m allowed to run it.

I could report that as a bug, but long experience has shown me that you ever get told that something is not actually a bug, or it just languishes in the bug trackers for years.

I was going to not bother upgrading at all, but I gained some hope during the huge crap-o-rama that was the original announcement of the new licensing scheme that things might change and they might actually focus on repairing defects instead of just adding features to try and drive sales. It’s not even a week later and I’m already sorely disappointed.

Fantastic job? Not by even the broadest possible interpretation of those words.

• Zeph Harben says:

I’m sorry to hear that, Terence! It’s not my place to criticize people who have complaints about things I haven’t experienced, so I apologize to both you and Chris.

My experience with other jetbrains products (Intellij, Pycharm and Rubymine) has been awesome, but I’ve never dealt with CLion or Resharper.

• Eugene Toporov says:

Hi Terence!

I’m very sorry about all the disappointments of the last week despite the support your provided to us by paying for the All Products subscription. I believe we can still improve it and we will do our best.

• ReSharper licenses problem is of course our big shortcoming. It is acknowledged and fixed I believe.
          • Regarding the code formatting issue in WebStorm, it is clearly a regression but a one that we believe makes the behavior more correct (as per tweets). But there is still a discussion in the team about this particular case and some changes will definitely happen in the future. In order to receive updates on these changes I still recommend and encourage you to create an appropriate request in our tracker. In any case, issue tracker is a much more appropriate place for conversations and arguments than Twitter.
          • For CLion, the team definitely knows about the need to support makefiles and it is planned and you can find it mentioned in the today’s blog post in CLion blog.

I thank you again for your support. I hope we can restore the reputation our tools earned with you in the past.

-Eugene

15. Pingback: Meet Us at Apps World in London, November 18-19th | JetBrains Company Blog

16. Jennifer Kuiper says:

I actually want to commend you guys on your achievements with the subscription model. I like it. I also like the subtle twist to yield new releases of all your desktop IDEs at the same moment. Initially I was against the subscription model, but now I am all for it. Indeed, there wouldn’t be a moment I would be without a JetBrains license anyway.

17. Steffen says:

Hello Jetbrains team, I am a bit baffled about the current subscription situation, so please could you help me with my case (I already contacted Sales, more later):

As a longterm user of your products, I just happily bought a new Toolbox license, and since I am a previous license holder (expired 27/01/2015), the following offer was announced to me on the shop website (inside braces you can see how I perceived the details):

My upgrade subscription Expired less than year ago (= yes, applies to me)
    Intellij IDEA
    • € 89,00 /1st year (that would be from now on, for 1 year?)
    • FREE /2nd year** (from 11/2016 – 11/2017 ?)
    • € 89,00 /3rd yr onwards (from 11/2017 onwards ?)

So I hit that buy button, and being happy with my bought product, I had to see that now, in my Jetbrains account, I read “Next billing on January 26, 2017.”, which is only about 1 year, not 2 (I should receive a 2nd complementary year based on the offer on the website).

Getting back to your Sales deparment via email, I received a rather unmotivated response: Although my subscription was willingly suspended by me in January 2015, the time from then to now shall count against that complimentary “FREE” year?! So basically, I ended my subscription in January (bc. I was fine with the previous version), and picking it back up now, but I will not be able to enjoy the complimentary year, as advertised (which in the end made me hit that buy button)? Your sales clerk responded with that there would be nothing she could do, and I could always cancel my subscription and start new, if I think that would fit me better. No thanks, that’s not the point!

Just let me be clear, I would be totally ok with the offer of 89 EUR, without the free year (which is already a reduced price compared to the full price for new customers), but please, then don’t advertise with a 2nd year FOR FREE, when effectively, it is just not the case (since suspended subscription time counts against the “quota”). It is really misleading.

Also a note regarding customer service and your sales department: I am a long-term customer and have been always happy with your products, your spirit and the way you handled customer care. Moody responses, even if I may be an annoying customer with an annoying request, just don’t cut it. You always felt like the Apple of IDE’s to me :) , just “different” from the others, in a very positive way. Please don’t let it slip!

18. Naoki Sasaki says:

I hate “eclipse”. because, way IBM to develop the open source community, I can’t agree with the way that also take US$4,000 over per 1 license as their products by IBM’s “eclipse” a.k.a. “Rational Application Developer”. So, unfortunately IntelliJ only choice it does not.

Again I HATE THE “IBM” AND “ECLIPSE”. I HATE “SUBSCRIPTION MODEL” OF SOFTWARE.

19. Dan Brown says:

“Subscription Validation
    Subscription expires on 01/12/2015. Usage of PhpStorm will no longer be possible.”

Are we really going to be having this pop up for a week out of every month? I’ve got an active, renewing subscription. I don’t need a reminder and I certainly don’t need a client that sees that thinking that I can’t afford to pay for my software.

20. Pingback: Meet Us at Apps World in London, November 18-19th | SaleBuyRx