Toolbox App 1.11: What’s New.

800x155@2x

Download now

Ever since Toolbox App 1.0 first came about back in October 2016, more and more of our customers are finding that using it makes it even easier for them to access their projects across JetBrains IDEs and update all their IDEs to the newest versions (including EAPs). We want to thank you for supporting and encouraging us to make Toolbox App even better.
Based on your feedback we developed and launched the following features in our previous releases:

• Auto-update for Toolbox App is now enabled by default
  • Toolbox App can update manually installed IDEs on all OS
  • Option to disable instant rollbacks

rollback

• Command-line launchers (Shell scripts) for installed IDEs

shell_scripts

And now we have better integration into all the different OS

• Linux: Toolbox App detects IDEs which were manually installed.
  • Windows: run the IDEs as Administrator, IDE shortcuts in the Taskbar and on the Desktop are updated automatically.
  • macOS: fixed the bug where docked icons were broken after an upgrade (Dock restart was required after each update).

What’s new in Toolbox 1.11

Well, it’s now time for something new. We understand how important it is for you to see the release notes before installing the version updates. Please find the What’s New in the new 1.11 Toolbox App release. Review the release notes before you update right inside the app as soon as a new version update becomes available.

Updated UI

We have also updated the Settings UI by removing the “apply” button. All changes are now applied immediately.

This release comes with the usual batch of bug fixes as well. The most noticeable of which is that Gradle support now works correctly in IntelliJ IDEA when started from Toolbox App on Windows. See the full list of release notes.

We love your feedback and will continue improving Toolbox App to make it more reliable for you. Follow us on Twitter to get the latest up-to-date news and useful tips.

Manage your JetBrains tools with ease!

Download now

Your Toolbox App team

Check out Google Chrome extension and Firefox Add-on for GitHub integration.

This entry was posted in News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Toolbox App 1.11: What’s New.

1. Andrew says:

When I start JetBrains ToolBox this happens:
    1. The toolbox starts downloading JetBrains ToolBox version 1.11.4231
    3. after a few seconds, the toolbox will start downloading Rider 2018.2
    4. once downloaded, it tries to upgrade Rider but it will error out couple seconds later: Failed to extract package. Failed to mount. dmg. (note, no “Update failed” this time)

I have to quit the toolbox or it will continue the cycle.

Is this just me or someone out there experiencing the same thing?

• Andrew says:

I manually downloaded/installed JetBrains ToolBox 1.11.4231 yesterday and the problem persisted.
      However, this problem has been fixed this morning.
      Good work, thanks.

• Andrew says:

Similar behavior is happening to DataGrip: I can’t install DataGrip (any version) using the ToolBox.
      I then manually downloaded and installed DataGrip. The ToolBox automatically detected the manually installed IDE and shows a “Update” button next to DataGrip.
      Clicking on “Update” results in the same error I described earlier.
      Please fix the bug for DataGrip as well.

2. Crystal says:

I have to quit the toolbox or it will continue the cycle.

Is this just me or someone out there experiencing the same thing?

3. Mark says:

ToolBox is a really great way to manage all of my IDE installations but with this release I miss the ability to see the current installed version and build numbers when an update is available (because the “What’s new in …” link replaces the installed version number label and its tooltip). Would be great to see this information return somewhere in a future release.

4. Mike says:

Does Toolbox support Android Studio as well?

5. Sanne says:

Current setup: JetBrains ToolBox version 1.10.4088 and Rider 2018.1.4 on macOS 10.12.6 When I start JetBrains ToolBox this happens: 1. The toolbox starts downloading JetBrains ToolBox version 1.11.4231 2. once downloaded, it tries to install the package but it will error out couple seconds later with this message: Update failed: Failed to extract package. Failed to mount .dmg. 3. after a few seconds, the toolbox will start downloading Rider 2018.2 4. once downloaded, it tries to upgrade Rider but it will error out couple seconds later: Failed to extract package. Failed to mount. dmg. (note, no “Update failed this time) 5. after a while, the toolbox will start downloading Rider 2018.2 again and fail I have to quit the toolbox or it will continue the cycle. Is this just me or someone out there experiencing the same thing?

6. David Taylor says:

Just updated to 1.11.4231 on Windows 7 hoping for a fix to the longstanding gradle “std handle” issue in IDEA. Things just went from bad to worse. Now the toolbox popup window won’t close unless I exit toolbox.

While we appreciate the new toolbox features, recent toolbox updates have been a disaster.

7. Luiz says:

The command line scripts still don’t work….

You should be using /usr/bin/open -a applicationPath

Otherwise your generated scripts wont properly open the app from a console.

8. Arthur J. says:

Hello, I have two issues with Toolbox on Windows.
    1/ Since v1.11 (or even 1.10 I’m not sure), Toolbox steals focus until it is quit: so you can’t start an IDE update and put Toolbox in the background
    2/ When upgrading an IDE through Toolbox the configuration in “idea.properties” and “${IDE_NAME}[64].exe.vmoptions” are not kept in the new update, you manually have to copy each file at each ide update

Do I need to make two tickets on YouTrack for these issues ?

9. Ed says:

Silly question but how do I close the app? There doesn’t seem to be any way to exit apart from killing the app via Task Manager. Neither does it seem possible to minimize the app unless I am missing something…

10. Chris says:

every when i click the “Change proxy settings”, the jetbrains toolbox app crashed.
    And we cannot update the idea behind the proxy.
    Win 7 64 professional

11. Viola Coulter says:

When I found that Toolbox now had a “Generate shell scripts” setting, I turned it on. On the “Shell scripts location” I clicked “Select”. At that point, whatever directory I choose in Finder, then the Toolbox settings just close (I can’t tell that anything happened). I’ve tried this multiple times with the same result, including after resetting my computer.
    In the meantime, I apparently don’t have any command-line launchers; I’m making do without them.
    In case it matters, my computer is running macOS Mojave 10.14.4.
    Thanks for any hints at getting command-line launchers back.

12. Max says:

Hi is not possible to open a project from the command line I usually use the command

pstorm .

but I receive an error:

The file /Users/user/Library/Application Support/JetBrains/Toolbox/apps/PhpStorm/ch-0/183.4588.67/PhpStorm.app does not exist.

I tried to configure Command-line launchers (Shell scripts) inside the Tool App but it doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

• Victor Kropp says:

Toolbox App generates phpstorm shell script.
      Please check that you don’t have file with the same name in the selected directory.
      If there are multiple versions of PhpStorm installed please select different shell script filenames for them.
      To force regenerate these scripts you may want to quickly disable and reenable them in Settings.
      Some of this restrictions will be lifted in the upcoming 1.15 release.

13. Anmol Nagpal says:

Hi, I’m not able to open any project using command line.

idea . is not working any more. I’m trying to create new using toolbox app but didn’t work.

Any Suggestions?

• Victor Kropp says:

If there are multiple versions of IntelliJ IDEA installed please select different shell script filenames for them.
      Some of this restrictions will be lifted in the upcoming 1.15 release.

• Ge Yang says:

disable and reenable does not work. The default for the script location is empty. After reselecting the /usr/local/bin folder the symlink still does not exist.

Please fix this.

14. Jason Zaugg says:

It seems the launcher installed by toolbox does not support idea diff or idea merge as documented https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/command-line-differences-viewer.html

Is this a known issue?

• Jay Carr says:

People have been complaining about this FOR YEARS now and nothing has been done. The only solution I’m aware of is to stop using ToolBox so that you can generate the scripts from the IDE.

15. Ross says:

This issue with command line launcher is making me consider switching to VScode. I have more important things to do than do backflips you make your stupid toolbox app generate the symlinks. The generate shell script INSIDE the webstorm WORKED FINE. WHY did you need to change this to be bug-prone?