JetBrains Mono — a new typeface made for developers

Posted on by Konstantin Bulenkov

A year ago, we set a very ambitious goal – create a font to make working with code more comfortable for everyone. And we did it!

JetBrainsMonoTypeface

What’s the problem with other monospaced fonts, you might ask?

For the most part of our day we, as developers, look at the code. And it is no wonder that we are always on the lookout for the best font to make looking at the text on the screen easier on our eyes. However, the logic in many popular fonts does not always take into account the difference between reading through code and reading a book. Our eyes move along code in a very different way, often having to move vertically as often as they do horizontally, which is opposed to reading a book where they slide along the text always in the same direction.

Therefore, while working on JetBrains Mono we focused, among other things, on the issues that can cause eye fatigue during long sessions of working with code. We have considered things like the size and shape of letters; the amount of space between them, a balance naturally engineered in monospace fonts; unnecessary details and unclear distinctions between symbols, such as I’s and l’s for example; and programming ligatures when developing our font.

Today, we proudly present JetBrains Mono – a new open-source typeface specifically made for developers. Check out what makes JetBrains Mono unique in the big family of monospaced fonts and try it in your favorite code editor. Have a look at JetBrains Mono, your eyes will thank you for it.

Happy coding!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

114 Responses to JetBrains Mono — a new typeface made for developers

1. Roger Araújo says:

January 15, 2020

It’s indeed an excellent font, using it now. Congratulations on a job well done!

• Eugene Toporov says:

January 15, 2020

Thank you Roger!

2. Charlie Hayes says:

January 15, 2020

Some of these claims could use some evidence.

Regarding crispness, viewing the font in Chrome, it’s just a bunch of blurry lines; way less crisp than courier new in IDEA (running on mac, native resolution no scaling).

The ligatures seem like a huge reduction in readability and edibility, ESPECIALLY for a developer. I’d love to see some evidence to the contrary.

Claims surrounding font weight, shape, and italic angles could use substantiation too.

There’s a comparison with consolas that claims consolas has wider glypths, then provides a preview. The preview demonstrates JB Mono has wider glyphs. What’s going on there?

I definitely appreciate the 1, l, I differentiation along with O and 0.

• Tom says:

January 16, 2020

Actually, ligatures increase readability, that is why they exist in first place. There is a full episode on font design on Netflix Abstract documentary series and some part is devoted to ligatures and how they improve font perception.

• Thomas Wana says:

January 20, 2020

I’m a veteran developer with 20+ years of experience, and I find the ligatures hard to read. May be a “getting used to” thing, but I don’t see the benefit. Otherwise, the Jetbrains Mono font is good, and I’m using it now, mostly out of curiosity. But I turned off the ligatures, which is something you can do in IntelliJ, fortunately.

• JM says:

January 20, 2020

Could you please point to the segments (minutes) in that documentary that is “devoted” to ligatures?… As i recall it’s like mentioned briefly, twice… and that’s about it…

Besides, I think your putting way to much weight into that documentary as begin any sort of proff, it really is just a share of experience from a single typeface designer. (granted, one with a interesting experience in his backpack)…

At the end of the day though, it doesn’t touch the programmers use case at all (Well why should it), yes we read allot of code, but we also create or change allot of code… Where ligatures could potentially be a really big annoyance, so I am with Charlie here…

Also, remember that what we are extremely good at as humans is to read patterns, that is why you often don’t read entire words but just the start and end. These ligatures will disrupt patterns we are already extremely familiar with.

• Charlie Hayes says:

January 21, 2020

Changing two characters with their own glyph (each with their own meaning) into a third glyph (while hiding the fact that there are multiple charaters there) is very disorienting. Is that a less than followed by equal or the actual unicode character for less-than-or-equal-to? Where do I put my cursor to change it to a greater than?

The documentary you refer to was certainly not referring to the use case of programming a computer.

When I’m reading content on my phone, which uses ligatures, the f+i ligature drives me nuts every time I see it. I don’t think sucking me out of why I am reading and enraging me is ‘improving my perception’ or ‘increasing the readability”. In nearly all cases, it’s a gimmick, now with more trendiness.

• lel says:

February 12, 2020

No they don’t increase readability. Ligatures exist because they save space in movable types or increase handwriting. People who claim otherwise are full of bullshit.

• Bejo says:

April 13, 2020

If you read/write a lot of regular expressions in your code, ligatures will be a nightmare.

3. DI says:

January 15, 2020

On Ubuntu, fc-cache detect JetBrains Mono as a dual-width font, not monospace font.

RStudio, an IDE based on Qt, does not allow choosing non-monospaced fonts, and as such I cannot set JetBrains Mono to be my font in RStudio.

What is not clear to me is who would be able to fix it? I am not a font expert. There are four parties here that could all fix this issue:

– JetBrains makes sure the font is detected as monospaced font by fontconfig (fc-cache)
    – RStudio allows people to choose non-monospaced fonts for their IDE
    – Qt fixes a bug https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-67612
    – fontconfig fixes https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/issues/176

Would it be possible for JetBrains to “fix” the font to be detected as true monospaced font on Ubuntu?

• Keith Miller says:

The same thing happens in the Delphi IDE on Windows

• Harim says:

January 20, 2020

Yes, on my Delphi IDE not work too 🙁

• Elio says:

January 18, 2020

Yeah, same here. I heard of this font and looked pretty nice, but I can’t use it :'(

• AnimiVulpis says:

January 20, 2020

To fix the detection put this in the following file:
      ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/00-jetbrains-mono.conf
      and run fc-cache -r (-f could be enough, just starting to understand fontconfig)

Make JetBrains Mono detect as mono instead of dual

JetBrains Mono

dual

mono

Don’t know if this will actually fix the problem.

• AnimiVulpis says:

January 20, 2020

To fix the detection put this in the following file:
      ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/00-jetbrains-mono.conf

Make JetBrains Mono detect as mono instead of dual

JetBrains Mono

dual

mono

Don’t know if this will actually fix the problem.

First time around forgot to fence the xml ^^

• AnimiVulpis says:

January 20, 2020

To fix the detection put this in the following file:
      ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/00-jetbrains-mono.conf

Make JetBrains Mono detect as mono instead of dual

JetBrains Mono

dual

mono

Don’t know if this will actually fix the problem.

Argh. It’s not trivial to add xml into these comments:

• AnimiVulpis says:

January 20, 2020

To fix the detection put this in the following file:
      ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/00-jetbrains-mono.conf

Make JetBrains Mono detect as mono instead of dual

JetBrains Mono

dual

mono

Don’t know if this will actually fix the problem.
      Entering xml here is horrible

• AnimiVulpis says:

January 20, 2020

Ok. I don’t mind anymore. If you are interested just answer to this thread whatever and I will create a gist or so.

• buhtum says:

January 21, 2020

Yes, please make a gist, the XML is stripped off

4. Ben Abbott says:

January 15, 2020

I like it. The thicker lines means it’s less “pixely” on my low DPI monitor.

Thanks JetBrains!

• Chidozie Nnachor says:

June 3, 2020

I agree. Looks great on a low resolution monitor

5. Mike says:

January 15, 2020

It’s rare that I ever change my coding font, but I have to admit, this got me to do it. Congrulations; this one checks all the boxes for me, and looks great!

6. Mustafa Akçakaya says:

January 16, 2020

My favorite font since its release. Well done!

7. P says:

January 16, 2020

Definitely not sold on the crazy ligature behavior, I don’t want to re-learn how i intuit normal operators in programming.

• Dmitry Kandalov says:

February 5, 2020

You can always disable ligatures in IDE settings ‍♂️

8. Michael B says:

January 16, 2020

Just want to share if it would be helpful for someone:
    – If you don’t see a new font in Settings → Editor → Font neither after manual install (old IDEA, but available e.g. in MS Word), nor after updating to IDEA 2019.3, this could be solved by:
    – download fonts https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/mono/#how-to-install
    – right-click any of them, then pick “Install for all users” (not just ‘Install’!) from the menu.

9. Danilo says:

January 16, 2020

It would be amazing if you provided links to studies to (dis)prove any of the statements regarding reading speed, legibility and whatever other claims you make — that would help not only look at this font in a positive way, but potentially help any further font designs.

FWIW, I’ve also looked at the Cyrillic glyphs, and the Serbian-specific glyphs (like ћ, ђ) are bad — even though the Serbian population is by now used to such appearance (a cross-bar on a Latin lowercase “h”), the original comes from a sound matching “тј”, so the cross bar should be at the character height in the lowercase letter. Any older Serbian books use such a form, whereas newer books utilising Western-designed typefaces, and especially most computer fonts, use the ill-advised h-based design. Again, it will be perfectly legible to all the Serbian people, but if one can do better, why not? 😉

FWIW, I’ve did the complete Cyrillic range originally in DejaVu Sans, so there’s an example of ђ and ћ done “well”.

Btw, where’s the source code for these fonts since they are “open source”? I see that they are released under a permissive license, but there are only TTF files in there, and I am pretty sure those are not the sources. I can easily import them into FontForge to make my changes though, but it’d be good if we can contribute fixes “upstream” as well.

• David says:

January 16, 2020

Try the source folder in https://github.com/JetBrains/JetBrainsMono

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

January 23, 2020

Hi, Danilo. Thanks for the feedback. We corrected the ћ, ђ. They are included in v 1.0.2. It will be nice if you can review them when it is out.

On the subject of research. We studied the legacy of Verdana, Menlo & other monospaced & screen adapted fonts. So all the conclusions we came up with were tested on ourselves, rejected & then tested again until it became the JetBrains Mono. Yes, dogfooding is not a very scientific approach but we found it more practical.

10. Ebab says:

January 16, 2020

Guys, you need to have another look at your letter O (Oh). It looks exactly how a number zero is supposed to look. I know you have a dot in the actual zero, but the O, without further context or immediate comparison, will inevitably be read as zero. Precisely what you don’t want for a programmers’ font.

11. Slavko Solar says:

January 16, 2020

Congratulation on a new font – I personally like it.

It’s very similar to Fira Code font I use in all editors for quite some time.

So far I don’t have any issues on Windows or Linux (Mint).

The recommended size (13) is not suitable in all editors – can be to small (VS code, DataGrip, GoLand) or to big (Visual Studio).

Thanks JetBrains!

12. Memnarch says:

January 16, 2020

On windows this “Mono” font is not detected as Mono-Space. Therefore IDEs limiting to MonoSPace-Fonts do not pick it up.

13. hcd says:

January 16, 2020

I’ve tried it, but for one or another reason, the “Consolas” font of VS seems more readable …

14. Vlad says:

January 16, 2020

Nice thing though when installed into VS it looks much thinner than Consolas. Checking “Bold”, using Medium and ExtraBold variants doesn’t change anything. I like everything about your font except it’s harder to read just because it’s too thin.

• TJ says:

January 17, 2020

I’m experiencing the exact same thing within VS.

• Slavko Solar says:

January 21, 2020

@Vlad, @TJ: after changing the font in Visual Studio restart the IDE.
        The font will look the way it should – at least this is what I observed. Not only with JetBrains Mono font but also with Fira Code, Iosevka, Pragmata Pro.

15. Peter Czurak says:

January 16, 2020

Maybe for young people, it’s good. But for 56 years old it’s terrible, the spacing between letters is too big and makes everything really busy and hard to find anything in the text.
    Back to Consolas, I go.

• Dusan says:

February 17, 2020

Tried EAP and it is super awfull. What is worst that when I change font back to dejavu mono, it is still super awfull (missing bolds on “public” and varialbe instances etc…)

How to revert fonts on 2020 back to 2019 to be 1:1 the same?

• Hannes says:

May 4, 2020

this. How to do this?

16. Thomas says:

January 16, 2020

After trying it out, I still prefer Consolas for better readability.

17. Gabriel Voigt Leandro says:

Good Job!

18. Simon Kammermeier says:

January 16, 2020

Very weird. Just updated to 2019.3.1 from 2019.2.4. On the first start it showed JetBrains Mono and I could enable it. It also didn’t show a real window title bar, instead the title was integrated into the top tool bar. After restarting both of those weren’t true anymore. I now have a title bar and am stuck with consolas

• Simon Kammermeier says:

January 16, 2020

Gotta put some more input on this. Only occurs in IntelliJ PyCharm is fine. Also is reproducable already deleted the config and tried importing again. Works on first start, fails after that.

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

January 23, 2020

It might be a problem with PyCharm runtime. We did some fixes for better rendering in the product. Could you please ask PyCharm or IntelliJ support team about it? Also, check that you didn’t change JDK to execute PyCharm. It should be bundled JetBrains Runtime 11.

19. Felipe Alameda Alvarado says:

January 16, 2020

I was using Fira Code for years and I like it, but I think this one is even better. Good job. Thank you!

20. Russ Freeman says:

Excellent font – good job

21. Nick Donais says:

January 16, 2020

Sadly it doesn’t seem to render properly on my Manjaro Gnome setup, for example at size 13 in DataGrip the “+” symbol is compacted and the top line is much shorter than the other 3 directions.

22. Alain Garneau says:

Hey!

Outstanding. Code is much more readable. By adjusting the line spacing I made it perfect for me.

Thanks for the good work.

23. Andy Marchewka says:

January 16, 2020

I’m enjoying JetBrains Mono. I have terrible vision, and I find I prefer this a bit over Fira in IntelliJ.
    For my command-line console, I prefer Fira for the greater spacing between lines. I found Mono more crowded. But for editing code, the tighter spacing works and definitely the better readability of the characters work really well for me.

24. Pallab Gupta says:

January 17, 2020

Tried on Visual Studio. Back to Hasklig font

25. WaldiMen says:

January 17, 2020

Nice font. I like it. Can you add Powerline Glyphs to it ?

26. Morten Torstensen says:

January 17, 2020

This is not bad. Good job! I will try it for a while to see if it can replace my current DejaVu Sans Mono standard font for IDEs and CLI.

There is a problem with this font tho, and that is that it does not register as a monospace font, so the regular cmd.exe or apps like SecureCRT and maybe PuTTY will be be able to use this font.

• Rüdiger Hahn says:

January 23, 2020

Right, Morten,

I just tried to use this font in PuTTY because I was annoyed mixing up the letter l (L) with capital letter I (i). However, PuTTY didn’t offer the font.

27. Michael Martin says:

January 17, 2020

Death to all ligatures!
    Visual Studio has no option to disable them

At least let me choose D:

Please make a version without the ligatures.

• TJ says:

January 17, 2020

100% agree on this!

• Joao says:

January 26, 2020

Do you mean Visual Studio Code or the normal one?

For Visual Studio Code you can use:
      editor.fontLigatures”: false

In your settings.json to disable ligatures.

28. Sergey Smolnikov says:

January 17, 2020

Looks nice, especially on Retina displays. For regular displays – its size need to be adjusted in a way, to reduce blurred vertical elements (e.g. on Visual Studio I selected 112% scale for the font size 10, in the text editor, for the display 1920×1080).
    Could you tell – un-even vertical position for open/closed curled brackets done with a reason? Different font size shifts brackets different (12,13,14..), but 17 is even (it’s seen also in settings font preview also). Windows 10, IDEA 2019.3.1

• Philipp Nurullin says:

January 23, 2020

This is a hinting bug, they are specific for loDpi Win & LInux OS. We are working on it.

29. Mahmoud says:

January 18, 2020

I love it! Is there a way to disable italics?

30. Nordine says:

January 18, 2020

JetBrains Mono is the best fonts for the dev editors, i share it with my colleagues at work.

31. Václav Greif says:

January 19, 2020

I really like the font, but I found it too bold. I went to Appearance and changed Antialiasing to Greyscale, that made the font more readable to me.

32. Alexey Yunoshev says:

January 19, 2020

I’ve been using it for several days now. Love it! Thank you for your work

33. Samantha says:

January 20, 2020

I like it! Any plans to add more symbols? I tried setting MacOS terminal to this font

My prompt used to look like this

But now with all the symbols missing it looks like this

• Philipp Nurullin says:

January 23, 2020

Yes, we are planning to expand the character map. For example In 1.0.2 will be added 24 new symbols. Sorry, the attached images are not opening.

34. hoover says:

January 20, 2020

I just tried this font on Debian, it looks quite nice but when I try to type the “pipe” symbol (Alt Gr – key combo on a German keyboard), the symbol blank or won’t show up. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Uwe

• Philipp Nurullin says:

January 23, 2020

JetBrains Mono currently not supporting the Box-drawing symbols. Seems like that the core of your problem. But we will add it in future updates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character We will add it in future updates.

• Luis Lobo says:

February 10, 2020

Oh, this is actually a big deal: on terminal, when piping stuff, you just don’t see anything.

35. Maxim Egorushkin says:

January 20, 2020

Ligatures are confusing, the small letters are too big.

I haven’t found a better programming font than Ubuntu Mono.

36. Leon Matthews says:

January 23, 2020

It is a beautiful font, thank you for making it!

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I too would really appreciate a separate download with no, or only partial ligatures. The whitespace balancing ones are nice, but some of the longer ones are a little much for me.

Thanks again, it really is quite lovely. Warm greetings from New Zealand!

37. Kevin Umbach says:

January 23, 2020

Nice font, I really like it!

I use various JetBrains IDEs on Windows Server but unfortunately I can’t install the font system-wide. Is there any way to have IntelliJ or Rider access the new font from a local user directory?

38. Peter Pogacar says:

January 24, 2020

I have problems with number six: https://imgur.com/a/twI6yWK, it is rendered too low.
    The font size is set to 15. If I set it to 14 or 13, the problem disappears. Notice also that only the “JetBrains Mono” font has this problem, Medium and ExtraBold variants are rendered ok.

I use:

IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3.2 (Ultimate Edition)
    Build #IU-193.6015.39, built on January 21, 2020

• Richard Richter says:

January 28, 2020

I love the font, but quickly I noticed that 6 is out of line. Also using size 15, as 14 is too small on my monitor for me. Not sure what the problem is, as it looks good again on bigger sizes… it jumps down and back as I go through various sizes. Is it the font? Is it Windows renderer? I have no idea… I switched to Medium, it really is OK there, but the font is a bit heavy for my taste. I’ll try it for a while but I’d welcome the “fix for six”.

• Peter Pogacar says:

February 7, 2020

Just installed the newest 1.0.2 version, but sadly, the “fix for six” is still not there…

• Peter Pogacar says:

February 12, 2020

Great news! IDEA 2019.3.3 brought “fix for six”! The font now works flawlessly! Thanks!

39. Jasmin says:

January 25, 2020

Excellent font. Appreciate your work Jetbrains team!

40. Simon Buchan says:

January 26, 2020

I’d like to also see a comparison to the new Windows Terminal font too: https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code

That went in a very different direction with many horizontal cuts, low x-height and being very curvy. I’d have to spend some time with both to pick, but I do think Cascadia is at least *prettier*

41. Jordi Gonzalez says:

January 29, 2020

The taller characters help me a *lot*. I am pretty impaired visually, but I don’t have the funds to justify getting newer glasses. I’ve found that relative to my previous fonts of choice, that Jetbrains Mono is a lot easier to read at the same font size. I think it’s because of the letter heights. It makes such a big difference for me that I’m frankly astonished (but very thankful!) that it took Jetbrains getting involved for programming fonts to discover this technique.

I really appreciate it being an open font. I look forward to using it everywhere!

42. Dekel says:

February 2, 2020

Font looks great!
    Would a partial ligatures one that only keeps ligatures with char spaces,
    So I could easily see the amount of characters making a ligature.
    eg: || becomes || yes, => becomes ⇒ no

Anyway great job thank you!

43. Yuriy says:

February 12, 2020

Ligatures don’t work in sublime text 3.

44. Anders says:

February 13, 2020

Been using it since release. Very nice.
    Today I noticed that I had misread the letter ‘i’ as ‘1’, several times.

45. Tomer Ben David says:

February 25, 2020

I changed my standard terminal to use this font its the best.

46. Bartlomiej Zalewski says:

March 7, 2020

I LOVE IT! The ligatures are awesome, great looks & readability. Thanks!

47. Mat says:

March 15, 2020

Hi,
    good direction, however, for me regular font is too thick and that is causing two issues:
    * there is too little difference between regular and bold
    * text area looks too much filled, overloaded, heavy.
    Also I’m not finding all these fancy special character ligatures useful. While text ligatures like tt, ff, fi etc. are “imported” by my brain transparently without noticing them, those special ones are making me feeling like I need to learn some new exotic language.

48. David Gilbertson says:

March 23, 2020

I rolled my eyes when I heard JetBrains had made a new monospace font, surely there’s no improvements left to be had.

But I was wrong to eye roll, it’s great! It’s amazing that it feels ‘bigger’ without being bigger. I’ve dropped my editor font-size from 16 (Source Code Pro) to 14 with JetBrains mono. It’s just as readable and fits more code on the page.

Really good stuff. Well done.

• Adriaan says:

April 11, 2020

Agreed! My reactions:

1. Oh no, Jetbrains. Dangerous move! Don’t touch developer preferences.
      2. Wait, can I really have my font smaller now? Awesome.
      3. Okay, not that small. Tune it up a bit. Exciting, code looks more structured now.
      4. ~1/2 days time to “forgetting” about it.
      5. Font ligatures on. I have to see if I like this enough. Some I like, e.g. -> , but some I don’t, such as <=.

49. Philip Couling says:

April 13, 2020

I can’t read this font. It’s driving me crazy and making my eyes hurt!

For some of us there’s particular features of most fonts we use as a short-cut to reading. It’s a difference as simple as rounded vs straight lines, corners vs curves. This font has had every letter homogenized regardless of whether it is supposed to be similar or not.

Example: the lowercase “e” should be a circle with a straight line through and a small segment missing. This font flattens the letter using a rounded rectangle in place of a circle. This adds straight lines where there shouldn’t be any and confuses the eye.

For those of us who are dyslexic, this font is horrible! It’s halved my reading speed and makes my eyes hurt!

• Philip Couling says:

April 21, 2020

Okay. This may be a rendering problem on Ubuntu. Having recently started to use my wife’s Mac the font looks great. On my Ubuntu desktop it looks terrible.

50. Patryk says:

April 13, 2020

Hi. I want to use JetBrains Mono as my main font inside Windows 10, but because the U+2236 is missing inside this font, the time is messed up. Can you add that?

51. Kjell says:

April 14, 2020

Great work! Well spent time, much better than to say, fix keyboard bindings that has been problematic at least since 2012:

Looks before functionality, nice.

Now, how do I get the old font back, what was the default?

• Yuriy Mann says:

May 5, 2020

Consolas

52. Stéphane says:

April 14, 2020

Same thing here on MacOS. JetBrain Mono was lost in IC 2020.1.

53. Stéphane says:

April 14, 2020

My bad, that was just the preference that was lost.

54. dizajn200@wp.pl says:

April 14, 2020

1057/5000
    What they just did, I’m in the process of creating a project for big money.
    I use PhpStorm for which I gave a pile of money. And what is happening just now? The program restarts itself and when I reload, I see that it has updated itself to the 2020 version.
    I think ok, somehow I will survive even though I didn’t like it myself. The program will start, I look at the code and what do I see? They massacred the fonts. It’s about the Ubuntu version.
    They still proudly boast about it on their website https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2020/01/15/jetbrains-mono-a-new-font-made-for-developers/
    I say ok, I will go into the option and set the old font from the 2019 version, I go in, look, look, there is none!

I am not a child who plays with Facebook and he can change his graphics 10 times a day and he will be happy, I did not pay for the program for serious classes so that someone would change my fonts during work. They could create a popup with a question, they would also be able to restore the old version. Now, instead of taking care of the money, I’m looking for a way to embrace this brothel.

• Philip Couling says:

April 21, 2020

As I noted against my earlier comment. It does appear to be a rendering problem on Ubuntu. On a Mac this same font is completely different.

55. dizajn200@wp.pl says:

April 14, 2020

What they just did, I’m in the process of creating a project for big money.

56. Andreas says:

April 15, 2020

I don’t like it.
    The question was asked before, what was the font previously used.

• GG says:

April 24, 2020

Hi, I don’t know for sure. But visually it seems to me that “Consolas” looks the same as it was previously.

57. João Ventura says:

April 15, 2020

For those that do not appreciate it in the new PyCharm releases, on macOS just revert back to Menlo, 12 pt, 1.2 line spacing…

On my computer, the new default settings (Jetbrains Mono, 13 pt, 1.2 line) reduced the number of lines of code on screen from 35 -> 30. If I select 12pt, I have only 32 loc available on the screen.

58. GG says:

April 24, 2020

Hello what is the font that was used previously?

• Sergio Samayoa says:

May 3, 2020

Windows: “Consolas”

FWIW I don’t like new font so I reverted to “Consolas”

• Adroam says:

May 6, 2020

I don’t have Consolas (Mac) as an option and I had no idea what was chosen before, thanks for trying IntelliJ but this is annoying because now I can’t read my code like I was used to.

59. Yuriy Mann says:

May 5, 2020

The new font looks unpleasantly blurry on all my monitors.

Consolas is so much better.

60. Walter Tross says:

May 6, 2020

For those who prefer the previous setup:
    Font: Menlo 12 pt
    Editor: Color Scheme: Classic Light

What I don’t like in the new font is the “cornerish” o’s, and similar uneven rounding of other characters. I understand that less rounding is an advantage on low resolution monitors, but this is not necessary on Retina Macs.

61. Adroam says:

May 6, 2020

Jetbrains is really cool…but! why change my font without asking me, I was happy with the previous font and, maybe it could be better in the longrun but immediately it is harder to read because I’m used to the old font. Best to add a ‘would you like your font changed option’ when implementing ‘features’ like this please.

• Dimitar Yanakiev says:

May 17, 2020

Im having the same struggle. Even switching to consolas font on the 2020 version doesnt fix the blurrines i see. I just reverted to the latest 2019 version.

62. Homolka Guenther says:

May 10, 2020

A horrible font! In a minor upgrade… You can do better! Be the awesome company you were years ago!

63. teddy geberhana says:

May 25, 2020

Thank you !

64. Robi says:

May 26, 2020

I tried it and I can’t use it. For me it’s too narrow and difficult to explain but it’s like all letters look the same. But then again I’m used to programming fonts from the last millenium and later switched to source code pro which for me is the ideal blend of vintage and modern. I don’t care about ligatures but that’s probably something you have to grow up with to like it.

65. Piers says:

May 29, 2020

Now that you have finished wasting time and my last years subscription money on a non essential feature. Please will you now spend time and my subscription money for this year on essential basic functionality for an IDE that should have been implemented years ago, like raising BitBucket PRs in the IDE (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-88198).

66. Ondřej says:

June 2, 2020

Personally, I don’t like the new font. It could be the combination of my older screen with Windows cleartype but the letters seem hard to focus on. I also don’t like that they are taller, leaving me with less lines of code. I switched back to Consolas.

67. Boon Dukesbury says:

June 5, 2020

Sorry tried it and it’s horrible and not that legible at all. Consolas is still superior