CLion licenses: what is what

Anastasia Kazakova

Hi everyone,

Recently we’ve announced the CLion 1.0 Release Candidate build. Thanks for your comments, excitements and words of encouragement.

As we’ve already mentioned, the release candidate build requires an active license, meaning you need to start a 30-day trial period to try this RC build. But what happens after the release? We’ve received a lot of questions about licensing options. Hopefully, this post will make things clearer for you.

Perpetual license, 1-year subscription and renewals

CLion will use a so-called ‘upgrade subscription-based’ licensing model which is convenient with our frequent product updates delivering new features and fixing critical issues. That means that buying a perpetual license you get also a subscription lasting 1 full year for product upgrades to any and all new versions, including major releases. After that year is over, your subscription can be renewed, for a fraction of the price of a new license.

It is important to note that your license does not expire after the 1-year period ends. It’s perpetual and you can still use the product. However, to continue receiving updates after that period ends, you’d need to renew your subscription. Note that the renewed subscription is effective from the date your previous subscription expired. In case your subscription lapses for over one year, you can reactivate it by paying a ‘Past-due renewal’ fee.

Commercial licenses

For CLion, there will be two major types of licenses: Commercial and Personal. The difference here is in terms of use. Commercial licenses are intended for legal entities, including companies and organizations (both for-profit and non-profit). Inside your company or organization, licenses may be freely transferred between team members and machines, the only restriction being that each license may be used only on one machine at a time.

Personal

Personal licenses are for your personal use; they are non-transferable, and not available to companies. Of course, you may use a Personal license for commercial development. You may use CLion on several platforms/computers, but no more than one at a time.

Startup

But that’s not all! If you are working for a startup, consider signing up for our Startup Discount Plan and getting a 50% discount on all our products, including CLion 1.0.

Open Source

We do believe in open source software, which is why we also provide Open Source licenses for non-commercial fully open source software projects for free.

Classroom

For education and training purposes, we offer special Classroom licenses for free. This license type allows direct classroom assistance in on-site classrooms and software installation in educational institution labs. Students and teachers may also use our software on personal PCs for their educational tasks, such as preparing training materials and doing homework.

To get a Startup, Open Source or Classroom license for CLion you only need to complete a small application form on our site. We’ll publish them together with the 1.0 release.

Student

Even better, if you are a student, you can get our products for free. If you already have a student license from JetBrains, CLion 1.0 will be available to you when it is released.

This sums up the full range of options that will be available with CLion 1.0 very soon. To get an idea of how much it will cost, please see pricing for our AppCode IDE. CLion 1.0 will get the same price tags.

Still have questions? Feel free to ask them in the comment section below!

Sincerely yours,
The CLion Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

19 Responses to CLion licenses: what is what

1. Patkos Csaba says:

April 7, 2015

Will CLion be a part of IntelliJ Ultimate as a plugin, under the same schema you already use for PHP / PHPStorm, Python / Pycharm, etc.???

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 7, 2015

It will, but later. Not with the 1.0

• Patkos Csaba says:

April 7, 2015

Will I be able to use CLion with my IntelliJ Ultimate license key?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 7, 2015

No, it’s a separate product for now. We’ll introduce a CLion-based plugin later, not with the 1.0 release.

2. Marcin says:

April 7, 2015

Question regarding the personal license. If I buy such a license can I use CLion for me in my workplace?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 7, 2015

If you company is ok with this, then yes.

• Augusto says:

April 10, 2015

Yes you can. I’ve asked the same question to the sales team when I was buying IntelliJ.

3. John says:

April 7, 2015

Does upgrade pricing apply only for the very next version, or can I buy, say, version 1, keep it for two years, then upgrade to version 3 (with upgrade pricing), or would I have to buy a new license in that case and pay full price?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 7, 2015

Yes, you can do so. Past-due renewal price will be applied in that case, that is still less than the full license fee.

4. Uditha B says:

April 8, 2015

Hi,
    What happen when the 30 day eval period (For RC build) finishes. Can we even use it after that?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 8, 2015

Release will happen before that time. So if you are satisfied and would like to continue with CLion you can get a license.

5. Jef Oliver says:

April 10, 2015

Will cLion support Python as a plugin? I do a lot of Python CAPI code.

6. Jonas Kvarnström says:

April 14, 2015

The first time I tested the release candidate it told me my evaluation license had expired. I continued using the last EAP version for a while but now that has also expired, and the release candidate still refuses to work, despite the fact that the splash screen says it will expire in May. The option to get a license (“Upgrade License Now”) takes me to a non-existing web page. How do I continue from here?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 14, 2015

You should start the evaluation period with RC build. This looks unlikely that you’ve got it finished cause it’s valid for one month. In case of problems write to clion-support at jetbrains.com, we’ll assist you with the evaluation.

7. Noray says:

September 17, 2015

I have a student license. Can I use it on both my personal laptop and campus pc?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

September 17, 2015

Yes, you can. However not simultaneously.

8. Marc Maier says:

January 22, 2019

Why is the license for organizations so much more expensive than for personal? I know it is transferable between users, but we don’t need that especially not for double the price. Why should than not every employee buy his personal licence and get a pay raise instead? I know the company is “not allowed” to pay directly for the personal licence, but double the price is not really fair without even getting something more.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 23, 2019

It’s not a double price actually, but a discounted personal price. Anyway, I recommend you contacting your sales@jetbrains.com with that. Pretty much sure, they can suggest some company discount.