CLion 1.0: Let’s start the countdown!

It’s exactly two years today since we first announced the start of our C++ IDE. Do you remember those times? We sure got tons of exciting feedback:

To celebrate the anniversary, we have some exciting news for you: CLion 1.0 Release Candidate, build 141.352.13, is now available for download. (Since it’s a release candidate build, there is no patch-update from the previous EAP version.)

As you might guess, CLion 1.0 release is around the corner, so in these closing stages we are planning to concentrate on ensuring product stability. Your feedback in this regard will be crucial. If you find any bugs at all, please file an issue on our tracker.

One small fix we need to mention here. If auto-import in CLion doesn’t behave for you, please, report an issue to us and feel free to turn it off in settings: Editor | General | Auto-import. The pop-up with include suggestion won’t show up in that case, though you’ll still be able to invoke an auto-import when necessary using an intention action (Alt+Enter). Mind several possible cases when completion finds symbols in wrong headers – if you accept such a completion, the wrong header will be included.

Please note that the release candidate build requires an active license, meaning you need to start a 30-day trial period to try this RC build. To see the list of the issues addressed in this build, please go to the issue tracker.

Stay tuned for the release: The final countdown starts now!

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains CLion Team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to CLion 1.0: Let’s start the countdown!

1. carlos says:

Glad to hear that clion is close to be released.

But i have question, if i have applied for the student licence before clion was included. how i can get a student licence for clion ?.

2. Anton says:

The release candidate stage is very inspiring. I hope you will fix performance issue before the final release:

3. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

I’m confused: it is already possible to buy a license for the final release? The website still mentions the EAP and I can’t see any link to the licensing options. You guys need to hurry up with that, because it takes time to push the purchasing decisions through the management, and you don’t want our work to grind to a halt because the RC expires before we can get a license, do you 😉 ?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

That’s a usual situation when RC works on active license, not the EAP one. And because we’ll start selling licenses with 1.0 release, to try RC you need to start evaluation period.

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Thanks for the info, and also regarding the pricing below; I’ll start poking our purchasing department.

4. wl.nicholas says:

Bravo !

5. Alexander says:

Is there already any information an pricing and licenses? For example, will there be an Open Source license for CLion as well?

6. Andrea says:

Is there away in Clion to add an header file (without using auto import) at the top without moving the cursor there ??

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Not sure I got the usecase correctly. Could you provide some sample? When and what would you like to get?

• Andrea says:

For example, suppose I’m at line 314 of “foo.cpp”. I want to add an header file and for some reason I [don’t want|cant’t] use the auto import feature.
        What I want is this:
        1- press some magic shortcut
        2- a popup appear asking me the name of the header file
        3- I write the header file name (which is “bar.h”) and press Enter. As result, the IDE put the the “#include ” at the top of “foo.cpp” after the other include declarations. The cursor never moves during all this.
        [would be perfect to autocompletion for the header file name]

Maybe the implementation would not be like this, but you get the point. The point is to include the file without moving the cursor away from what I’m doing now.

I don’t know if there’s already a method to do (something like) this in CLion.

If not, I think this is a good alternative to the auto import feature.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

This scenarios should be covered by auto-import intention action. When you type a symbol that is not included, CLion highlights the problem for you. Then you can use Alt+Enter to get an intention action menu and one of the quick fix there will be to include a proper header. This works even when auto-import pop-up is switched off.

7. Any chance to integrate as plugin (paid) to Idea?

I hate context switching and my work is essentially between Clojure/Java, Python and C++. It will be very practical for me. Again I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks for considering it.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Not with 1.0, but a bit later we’ll consider adding CLion functionality as a plugin to IntelliJ IDEA.

8. Looking good. But I’ll have to wait until is fixed to consider this IDE as a viable option for me :)

9. krzkaczor says:

Hi! Great work! What about students pack? Will it include CLion license? Currently it is not working :(

10. Tembo says:

Thanks for a good C++ IDE. I tried running on my 32 bit desktop running Windows 10 TP build 9926, but got an error message, “This app can’t run on this PC”. When tried on my 64 bit machine with Window 10 TP 9926 CLion runs nicely. Is it just for 64 bit machines? I did not find any requirements specifications from the website.

11. akadavid says:

Wish Clion a perfect IDE!
    Could Clion support LLVM on Windows?

12. Tolga says:

nice work.
    but where is the actual countdown? =)

thanks in advance

13. Alex says:

The CLion IDE would be an IDEAl starting point for Rust language support and integration.

14. Jetfires says:

CLion’s icon is so ugly!
    Can it have a new icon?

15. William says:

Will this version support GNU Make directly? I don’t use CMake for my projects…

16. Äxxl says:

I see that this build comes with a bundled JDK for the Linux version. Unfortunately this breaks my font fix for Linux (works due to fontfixed JDK and some .vmoptions entries):

Maybe you can consider to patch the bundled JDK with the font fix, so that all Linux users can benefit from it or offer a non bundled version for download, so that i can fix it myself?

Here’s a comparison between Webstorm with fontfixed JDK and bundled CLion:

thanks and best regards

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks for the information! We’ll have a look.
      Right now you can set your custom JDK to use with CLion: feel free to set the path to it to CL_JDK environment variable.