CLion 1.0: Let’s start the countdown!

Anastasia Kazakova

It’s exactly two years today since we first announced the start of our C++ IDE. Do you remember those times? We sure got tons of exciting feedback:
feedback_1
feedback_2
feedback_3

To celebrate the anniversary, we have some exciting news for you: CLion 1.0 Release Candidate, build 141.352.13, is now available for download. (Since it’s a release candidate build, there is no patch-update from the previous EAP version.)

As you might guess, CLion 1.0 release is around the corner, so in these closing stages we are planning to concentrate on ensuring product stability. Your feedback in this regard will be crucial. If you find any bugs at all, please file an issue on our tracker.

One small fix we need to mention here. If auto-import in CLion doesn’t behave for you, please, report an issue to us and feel free to turn it off in settings: Editor | General | Auto-import. The pop-up with include suggestion won’t show up in that case, though you’ll still be able to invoke an auto-import when necessary using an intention action (Alt+Enter). Mind several possible cases when completion finds symbols in wrong headers – if you accept such a completion, the wrong header will be included.

Please note that the release candidate build requires an active license, meaning you need to start a 30-day trial period to try this RC build. To see the list of the issues addressed in this build, please go to the issue tracker.

Stay tuned for the release: The final countdown starts now!

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains CLion Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

46 Responses to CLion 1.0: Let’s start the countdown!

1. carlos says:

April 1, 2015

Glad to hear that clion is close to be released.

But i have question, if i have applied for the student licence before clion was included. how i can get a student licence for clion ?.
    thanks.

April 1, 2015

It will be included automatically)

• Geoffrey Pascoe says:

April 2, 2015

It’s not included at the moment. Do we just have to use the 30-day trial for now?

April 2, 2015

Yes, to use the RC you need to start evaluation.

2. Anton says:

April 1, 2015

The release candidate stage is very inspiring. I hope you will fix performance issue before the final release: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-988

April 1, 2015

We’ll see what we can do. Thanks for reminding.

3. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

April 1, 2015

I’m confused: it is already possible to buy a license for the final release? The website still mentions the EAP and I can’t see any link to the licensing options. You guys need to hurry up with that, because it takes time to push the purchasing decisions through the management, and you don’t want our work to grind to a halt because the RC expires before we can get a license, do you 😉 ?

April 2, 2015

That’s a usual situation when RC works on active license, not the EAP one. And because we’ll start selling licenses with 1.0 release, to try RC you need to start evaluation period.

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

April 2, 2015

Thanks for the info, and also regarding the pricing below; I’ll start poking our purchasing department.

4. wl.nicholas says:

Bravo !

5. Alexander says:

April 2, 2015

Is there already any information an pricing and licenses? For example, will there be an Open Source license for CLion as well?

Thanks!

April 2, 2015

Yes, it will. It will be the same set of licenses and prices as for AppCode: https://www.jetbrains.com/objc/buy/

• Alexander says:

April 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I see that for AppCode Apache is not listed under the Open Source license, but for IntelliJ it is.
        Will it be added to easily request a CLion license with my Apache mail address?

Thanks!

April 2, 2015

I think we’ll solve the problem when the time comes ) For any questions like this you can contact our sales team at sales@jetbrains.com and they will assist.

6. Andrea says:

April 2, 2015

Is there away in Clion to add an header file (without using auto import) at the top without moving the cursor there ??

April 2, 2015

Not sure I got the usecase correctly. Could you provide some sample? When and what would you like to get?

• Andrea says:

April 2, 2015

For example, suppose I’m at line 314 of “foo.cpp”. I want to add an header file and for some reason I [don’t want|cant’t] use the auto import feature.
        What I want is this:
        1- press some magic shortcut
        2- a popup appear asking me the name of the header file
        3- I write the header file name (which is “bar.h”) and press Enter. As result, the IDE put the the “#include ” at the top of “foo.cpp” after the other include declarations. The cursor never moves during all this.
        [would be perfect to autocompletion for the header file name]

Maybe the implementation would not be like this, but you get the point. The point is to include the file without moving the cursor away from what I’m doing now.

I don’t know if there’s already a method to do (something like) this in CLion.

If not, I think this is a good alternative to the auto import feature.

April 3, 2015

This scenarios should be covered by auto-import intention action. When you type a symbol that is not included, CLion highlights the problem for you. Then you can use Alt+Enter to get an intention action menu and one of the quick fix there will be to include a proper header. This works even when auto-import pop-up is switched off.

7. Tomáš Bílek says:

April 2, 2015

Any chance to integrate as plugin (paid) to Idea?

I hate context switching and my work is essentially between Clojure/Java, Python and C++. It will be very practical for me. Again I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks for considering it.

April 2, 2015

Not with 1.0, but a bit later we’ll consider adding CLion functionality as a plugin to IntelliJ IDEA.

8. Konstantin Isakov says:

April 2, 2015

Looking good. But I’ll have to wait until https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-1100 is fixed to consider this IDE as a viable option for me 🙂

9. krzkaczor says:

April 2, 2015

Hi! Great work! What about students pack? Will it include CLion license? Currently it is not working 🙁

April 3, 2015

It will be included automatically when 1.0 is released.

10. Tembo says:

April 3, 2015

Thanks for a good C++ IDE. I tried running on my 32 bit desktop running Windows 10 TP build 9926, but got an error message, “This app can’t run on this PC”. When tried on my 64 bit machine with Window 10 TP 9926 CLion runs nicely. Is it just for 64 bit machines? I did not find any requirements specifications from the website.

11. akadavid says:

April 3, 2015

Wish Clion a perfect IDE!
    Could Clion support LLVM on Windows?

April 3, 2015

CLion 1.0 goes with GDB only. LLDB will come later.

• akadavid says:

April 3, 2015

I mean LLVM on Windows Platform.

April 3, 2015

Ops, sorry. Didn’t read it properly. Not sure, what you mean under LLVM support then. Could you explain, please?

• akadavid says:

April 5, 2015

Er…LLVM also has windows builds:

April 6, 2015

Sorry. Not sure I got you still. Do you mean LLVM developing in CLion? This should not be a problem now.

• akadavid says:

April 6, 2015

CLion for Windows only supports MinGW and Cygwin, could it supports LLVM?

April 6, 2015

On Windows CLion uses MinGW and Cygwin, that’s right. To use clang compiler on Windows just set it in MinGW or Cygwin.

12. Tolga says:

April 5, 2015

hello,

nice work.
    but where is the actual countdown? =)

thanks in advance

April 6, 2015

Follow the updates to know about 1.0 release)

13. Alex says:

April 5, 2015

The CLion IDE would be an IDEAl starting point for Rust language support and integration.

14. Jetfires says:

April 6, 2015

CLion’s icon is so ugly!
    Can it have a new icon?

April 6, 2015

What platform are you in?

• Jetfires says:

April 6, 2015

platform? I think IDEA’s icon is much better than CLion’s.

April 6, 2015

Do you mean you don’t like it in general or it’s just looks somehow wrong on your platform (that can happen unfortunately)?

• Jetfires says:

April 7, 2015

I don’t like it in general…

April 7, 2015

Thanks for the opinion. I think we’ll stay with this icon at least for now. Maybe will change later.

15. William says:

April 7, 2015

Will this version support GNU Make directly? I don’t use CMake for my projects…

April 7, 2015

No, 1.0 will go with CMake only.

16. Äxxl says:

April 7, 2015

I see that this build comes with a bundled JDK for the Linux version. Unfortunately this breaks my font fix for Linux (works due to fontfixed JDK and some .vmoptions entries): https://docs.google.com/document/d/15X9hE6VDdz5czRHU2Z179aRUY3MZoPwwGzFmdkXDhnM/edit#

Maybe you can consider to patch the bundled JDK with the font fix, so that all Linux users can benefit from it or offer a non bundled version for download, so that i can fix it myself?

Here’s a comparison between Webstorm with fontfixed JDK and bundled CLion: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8656454/tmp/font.png

thanks and best regards
    alex

April 7, 2015

Thanks for the information! We’ll have a look.
      Right now you can set your custom JDK to use with CLion: feel free to set the path to it to CL_JDK environment variable.