CLion 1.0.4 update: fix for ‘Command timed out’ problem

Hello everyone,

Upd: Recently we’ve published CLion 2016.2 EAP build, which includes major changes in GDB and LLDB drivers and addresses such problems as:

• Command timeouts.
  • Stepping problems.
  • Debugger performance issues.

Please, find more details in our blog post by the link.

We’ve just rolled CLion 1.0.4 that fixes a very annoying issue with ‘Command timed out’ while debugging. You most probably experienced it if debug tool window kept showing “Collecting data…” forever for you. Or gdb ended with ‘Command timed out’ during the debug session.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for you patience and we hope it’s resolved now with this update. Feel free to share the feedback with us.

While our main goal was to deliver you the fix for this critical problem, still some other notable fixes are included as well. For example, some redundant semicolons inserted automatically, plus a regression when a member function was marked as not implemented has been fixed. See the full list of changes.

As usual, a patch update is available or you can download and install CLion 1.0.4 directly from our website.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains CLion Team

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to CLion 1.0.4 update: fix for ‘Command timed out’ problem

1. David Danielsson says:

Great news! Good job finally resolving this issue. It was probably my biggest issue with CLion.

2. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

It’s so awesome that I can now use C++14 in CLion without fear of sneaky semicolons: http://www.zoitz.com/comics/horror.png !!!11

Will there be further point releases with backports for parsing fails, or we’ll have to wait till the end of summer for all the parsing / refactoring / inspection fixes goodness?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

The parser work is still in progress. So the current state is not ready for providing a point release. So most probably it will be ready for 1.1
      Still some issues maybe included into upcoming 1.0.x updates.

3. Danylo Bilyk says:

As for me the major problem that Clion IDE freezes for seconds on top-end systems.

4. Nevkontakte says:

Just updated to 1.0.4 and still experience this problem with vectors.

5. Eugene says:

Awesome update!
    Just make a correct c++11/14 features highlighting and that IDE will be perfect

6. Max Ehrlich says:

I’m still having this issue, where can I report it

7. Richard Khoury says:

I just had this exact problem for the first time while trying to use the 1.1 EAP version. All my debugging sessions in this and prior versions were successful up until this point, but now rolling back to using 1.0.5 is still showing the same thing.

Any clue what I can check/do to get around this?

8. Ben Gemmill says:

This issue still affects cLion 1.2; I was able to fix it by using the non-bundled gdb on a centos box. It looked like the issue there was that entries needed to be added to ~/.gdbinit:
    set auto-load safe-path /
    set libthread-db-search-path /lib64/

Without that, there were warnings about not being able to debug multithreaded applications, and I’d see commands time out.

It didn’t look like the bundled gdb reads ~/.gdbinit, so I had to use the non-bundled gdb at /usr/bin/gdb from within cLion as the final step.

I hope this helps others.

9. Mohamed Haidara says:

Still have this issue in 1.2.4. Clion didn’t respond at all. I have to kill the process and start again.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Could you please try the latest CLion 1.5 EAP build (https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/CLION/Early+Access+Program) and if the problem is still there, share the code sample to reproduce the problem with us? We are currently working on the bunch of problems most likely causing the “time out” error. Some code sample to reproduce will be very useful.

• Mohamed Haidara says:

I tried the latest CLion 1.5 EAP build. The problem is still there.

By using valgrind, I discovered that the problem was a bad recursive call. So I create a project :
        #include
        using namespace std;
        int foo()
        {
        return foo();
        }
        int main()
        {
        cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
        foo();
        return 0;
        }
        This simple piece of code cause CLion to freeze (and my OS also ). In debug console I can read "command timed out" and in my terminal (in which i ran CLion) :
        " java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        Dumping heap to /home/haidara/java_error_in_CL.hprof …
        Unable to create /home/haidara/java_error_in_CL.hprof: Le fichier existe
        "

Configuration :
        Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
        CLion 1.5 EAP (144.3357.5)
        Bundled Gdb 7.8

10. William R. DeVore says:

I am also having this issue on Ubuntu 15.10, CLion 2016.1.1 Build # CL-145.597, JRE 1.8.0_76 amd64.

My app is multithreaded. I can debug a few lines and then I get the time out.