CLion 1.0.4 update: fix for ‘Command timed out’ problem

Posted on by Anastasia Kazakova

Hello everyone,

Upd: Recently we’ve published CLion 2016.2 EAP build, which includes major changes in GDB and LLDB drivers and addresses such problems as:

• Command timeouts.
  • Stepping problems.
  • Debugger performance issues.

Please, find more details in our blog post by the link.

We’ve just rolled CLion 1.0.4 that fixes a very annoying issue with ‘Command timed out’ while debugging. You most probably experienced it if debug tool window kept showing “Collecting data…” forever for you. Or gdb ended with ‘Command timed out’ during the debug session.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for you patience and we hope it’s resolved now with this update. Feel free to share the feedback with us.

While our main goal was to deliver you the fix for this critical problem, still some other notable fixes are included as well. For example, some redundant semicolons inserted automatically, plus a regression when a member function was marked as not implemented has been fixed. See the full list of changes.

As usual, a patch update is available or you can download and install CLion 1.0.4 directly from our website.

Develop with pleasure!
JetBrains CLion Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

43 Responses to CLion 1.0.4 update: fix for ‘Command timed out’ problem

1. David Danielsson says:

June 16, 2015

Great news! Good job finally resolving this issue. It was probably my biggest issue with CLion.

2. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

June 17, 2015

It’s so awesome that I can now use C++14 in CLion without fear of sneaky semicolons: http://www.zoitz.com/comics/horror.png !!!11

Will there be further point releases with backports for parsing fails, or we’ll have to wait till the end of summer for all the parsing / refactoring / inspection fixes goodness?

June 17, 2015

The parser work is still in progress. So the current state is not ready for providing a point release. So most probably it will be ready for 1.1
      Still some issues maybe included into upcoming 1.0.x updates.

3. Danylo Bilyk says:

June 17, 2015

As for me the major problem that Clion IDE freezes for seconds on top-end systems.

4. Nevkontakte says:

June 22, 2015

Just updated to 1.0.4 and still experience this problem with vectors.

• Nevkontakte says:

June 22, 2015

Just for the record: OS Ubuntu 14.04, GCC 4.8, Bundled DGB 7.8

June 22, 2015

Do you have some code sample/sample project in the existing YouTrack ticket? Or could you submit a new one? This could help us to investigate.

5. Eugene says:

June 24, 2015

Awesome update!
    Just make a correct c++11/14 features highlighting and that IDE will be perfect

6. Max Ehrlich says:

July 8, 2015

I’m still having this issue, where can I report it

7. Richard Khoury says:

July 22, 2015

I just had this exact problem for the first time while trying to use the 1.1 EAP version. All my debugging sessions in this and prior versions were successful up until this point, but now rolling back to using 1.0.5 is still showing the same thing.

Any clue what I can check/do to get around this?

July 22, 2015

Could you please collect debug logs (Help | Configure Debug Log | Add #com.jetbrains.cidr.execution.debugger) while starting a session and send to us (logs can be found in Help | Show Log) to clion-support at jetbrains.com? If you could also attach some sample project this would be great as well (however not necessary). This can help us a lot in investigation, thanks.

June 9, 2016

Could you please try this build: https://blog.jetbrains.com/clion/2016/06/clion-2016-2-eap-debugger/ and share if the problem is still there.

8. Ben Gemmill says:

November 11, 2015

This issue still affects cLion 1.2; I was able to fix it by using the non-bundled gdb on a centos box. It looked like the issue there was that entries needed to be added to ~/.gdbinit:
    set auto-load safe-path /
    set libthread-db-search-path /lib64/

Without that, there were warnings about not being able to debug multithreaded applications, and I’d see commands time out.

It didn’t look like the bundled gdb reads ~/.gdbinit, so I had to use the non-bundled gdb at /usr/bin/gdb from within cLion as the final step.

I hope this helps others.

November 11, 2015

Thanks Ben. We’ve also got your e-mail in support. We’ll have a look at this in details and them come back to you.

• Fábio Blumm Junqueira says:

November 17, 2015

I am also having the same problem with CLion 1.2, on Debian Jessie.

November 17, 2015

We still need to check what’s going on there. We haven’t switched smth off intentionally. But maybe just some commands from .gdbinit are not applied by some reason. We are currently investigating the issue.

• Ben Gemmill says:

November 20, 2015

Linking up the issue:

November 23, 2015

Thanks

9. Mohamed Haidara says:

January 24, 2016

Still have this issue in 1.2.4. Clion didn’t respond at all. I have to kill the process and start again.

January 24, 2016

Could you please try the latest CLion 1.5 EAP build (https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/CLION/Early+Access+Program) and if the problem is still there, share the code sample to reproduce the problem with us? We are currently working on the bunch of problems most likely causing the “time out” error. Some code sample to reproduce will be very useful.

• Mohamed Haidara says:

January 30, 2016

I tried the latest CLion 1.5 EAP build. The problem is still there.

By using valgrind, I discovered that the problem was a bad recursive call. So I create a project :
        #include
        using namespace std;
        int foo()
        {
        return foo();
        }
        int main()
        {
        cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
        foo();
        return 0;
        }
        This simple piece of code cause CLion to freeze (and my OS also ). In debug console I can read "command timed out" and in my terminal (in which i ran CLion) :
        " java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        Dumping heap to /home/haidara/java_error_in_CL.hprof …
        Unable to create /home/haidara/java_error_in_CL.hprof: Le fichier existe
        "

Configuration :
        Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
        CLion 1.5 EAP (144.3357.5)
        Bundled Gdb 7.8

• Mohamed Haidara says:

January 30, 2016

It’s looks like a lot of dump of the heap was created by java (or clion).

-rw——- 1 haidara haidara 3,0G janv. 30 14:39 java_error_in_CL.hprof
          -rw——- 1 haidara haidara 1,7G janv. 26 02:17 java_pid2633.hprof
          -rw——- 1 haidara haidara 3,0G janv. 24 20:52 java_pid4036.hprof
          -rw——- 1 haidara haidara 3,0G janv. 24 20:13 java_pid8189.hprof

• Anton Makeev says:

February 1, 2016

Mohamed, please follow (add ‘star’) https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-5732, we’ll see if we can fix it 1.5

• Topher Donovan says:

March 18, 2016

I’m having this issue as well. Can’t develop on Windows with clion 1.2.4. I’ll be watching this ticket and guess I’ll just continue to develop on Linux.

10. William R. DeVore says:

April 20, 2016

I am also having this issue on Ubuntu 15.10, CLion 2016.1.1 Build # CL-145.597, JRE 1.8.0_76 amd64.

My app is multithreaded. I can debug a few lines and then I get the time out.

April 21, 2016

Could you please collect logs as it’s written here: https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206560589-Debugger-doesn-t-stop-on-a-breakpoint-Debugger-shows-Command-timed-out-What-to-do-?
      And then submit to our support.

• Nikolay Polyarniy says:

May 25, 2016

I have the same problem.

My application is multithreaded + OpenCL (must not be important).
      Debugging correctly stops on first breakpoint – but all other breakpoints are silently skipped.
      If I disable first one breakpoint – debugging will be paused only on second breakpoint, and all other breakpoints will be skipped.

Workaround:
      Build,Execution Deployment -> Debugger -> Data views -> C/C++ -> DISABLE GNU C++ library renderers

CLion 2016.1.2
      Build #CL-145.972, built on May 18, 2016
      Bundled GDB 7.8

May 25, 2016

We are currently working on big changes in GDB driver and do encourage you to try when it’s available (one of the upcoming EAP builds, we’ll announce).

• Adrien Bertrand says:

May 27, 2016

Same here, even under 2016.2 EAP on Linux. “Command timed out” after “collecting data” in a big function (works fine in a small one).
        Debugging is simply not usable, back to another IDE… 🙁

May 27, 2016

We encourage you to try one of the next EAP build. Currently we are implementing big changes in GDB driver. Would be great if you can try and share the results. Thanks.

• Adrien Bertrand says:

May 27, 2016

Will do!

June 9, 2016

Please, check this build: https://blog.jetbrains.com/clion/2016/06/clion-2016-2-eap-debugger/

June 9, 2016

Could you please check this build: https://blog.jetbrains.com/clion/2016/06/clion-2016-2-eap-debugger/

11. Dissatisfied Person says:

March 9, 2017

Don’t fool yourselves, this is not resolved. I am experiencing the “Command timed out” during debugging all the time.

12. Volodymyr says:

June 27, 2017

I’m still experiencing the “Connection time out” when doing debugging, from time to time.
    Version: