CLion 2018.1 EAP: debug on WSL, code folding of the control statements and more

Hi all,

Last week we started CLion 2018.1 EAP. And now it’s time to announce a new build (181.3263.17). No license is required for this build, and you can install it side by side with your stable CLion version.

Download CLion 2018.1 EAP

Debug on WSL

Last time we announced WSL support in CLion, which is an opportunity to use native Linux development toolchain (CMake, C and C++ compilers) when developing on Windows. And now debug on WSL is available! There are some known issues and limitations, so it’s only available under the Registry option for now: cidr.wsl.enableGDB.

Upd. Latest CLion 2018.1 EAP comes with the WSL debugger on by default.

Check the WSL debugger is now available for you in the WSL toolchain:
WSL_debugger

When you debug your program, it will be run on WSL subsystem with WSL debugger (via the ssh connection).

Known issues and limitations:

• Run to cursor doesn’t work with WSL (CPP-11902)

Code folding of the control statements

Control statements (if/else, do/while, for, switch) can now be folded/expanded via Shift+Ctrl+Period/Ctrl+= on Linux/Windows and โ‡งโŒ˜./โŒ˜+ on macOS. It works for any block with more than one line of code or any block inside the braces:
Fold statement

And more

Other fixes and improvements include:

• Incorrect unreachable code inspection for the catch section of function-level try-catch block is fixed(CPP-3094)
  • When analysing try section in the try-catch block, DFA now takes into account that dynamic_cast, new and overloaded operators can throw exceptions (CPP-11594)
  • An ability to use existing $VAR values when specifying environment variables for CMake is added (CPP-3716)
  • Some performance improvements when including a file via the code completion

Full release notes are available by the link.

Download the build (or wait for a patch update in case you are using previous EAP build), check the improvements and let us know your feedback.

CLion 2017.3.3 bug-fix update

We also are happy to announce another bug-fix update for v2017.3 โ€“ CLion 2017.3.3 (build 173.4548.31). It includes the fix for the regression with K&R functions (CPP-6702) and some IntelliJ-platform fixes. Full release notes are available here. Patch update is available from CLion 2017.3.2.

Your CLion Team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to CLion 2018.1 EAP: debug on WSL, code folding of the control statements and more

1. Henry Borchers says:

* Debug on WSL

Dammmmmn! That was fast. Considering how long CLion has had (experimental) MSVC support but with debugging, I was not expecting this so soon. Great job everyone at JetBrains.

2. Axel says:

Fantastic!
    Code Folding for Control statements. It takes a long time to get this “standard” feature in CLion. Thank You!

But, it is possible to enable this folding per default? And implement the vim commands (zc zo etc.) for collapsing/folding this blocks also?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

I’m not sure about the default folding. However, feel free to create a feature request and elaborate on its need there. As for vim, do you mean some support in the Vim emulation plugin? Then, as well, some request in VIM tracker will be appreciated. Probably, even this one can work: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/VIM-566

3. Olof says:

I don’t have the WSL option in the tool chains window even though I have WSL installed.

I also don’t have an app data folder in my user folder per the description above. That would probably be why I don’t have a WSL option.

4. Tano says:

Anastasia, just asking: what framework does CLion use for its GUI? Some Java libraries, Qt, etc?
    Because it’s really fantastic and I love the rendering of Consolas font, better than Windows render it and it’s their font! ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Ivan says:

“Code folding of the control statements” doesn’t work! When in
    main(){
    for(int i=0;i<….){
    //here I try both ctrl+. and ctrl+shift+.
    }
    …..
    }
    The whole main() gets collapsed! Why there is no "+" to fold region as in all other foldable regions?! What makes folding "control statements" different from oher types of folding. I'll probably never get it…. (why not implement it with custom region? If I weren't lazy I bet I'd write my "Plugin" "Custom fold region adder to control statements" if he Clion developers can't handle to implementation of such an easy (in my view) thing….

6. Dcy says:

excuse me? can it debug with docker?not wsl.

7. Alan Lenton says:

Where can I find the 2017.3.1 and 2017.3.2 updates which I seem to have missed because I wasn’t programming in Linux for a while?

8. bob says:

What is the right way to update clion in linux machine? I was asked to downloaded a new Clion. Then what should I do?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Which version do you update from and to which one? Usually, we have patch-updates between all consequent updates. But let’s check which versions are you updating.